2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It seems like everyone (for the most part) is in agreement when it comes to the OC - but outside of the Utah lifer being mentioned as a top candidate (and Chris Ash sucking shit through a very tiny straw) there appears to be no consensus on DC's.

Jimmy Lake has to be at the top of everyones list - right?  I realize he's likely never leaving the PNW unless its for a top tier HC job - but we at least have to waive the 2.5 million dollr check at him, no?

Then another lifer in Utah's Morgan Scalley?

Kevin Steele?

David Reeves?

How many names do we go through before Chris Ash becomes a legitimate option?

I do think it’s hard to find a DC who has a history of success and is used to defending spread offenses.  I’d like to see Herman make a run at some candidates like Lake and then only settling on Ash if he misses on multiple other targets. Guys like Lake or Scalley would be tough pulls. now that Auburn beat Bama, I could see Steele being tougher to get too since Malzahn is less on the hot seat, but Malzahn’a perpetual hot seat there may be wearing on Steele. 

I do think Ash would be better than Orlando, but that’s a low bar. Pretty much anyone who comes in and simplifies the defense and lets our athletes play would be an improvement.

My biggest opposition to Ash being the pick right away is primarily that Herman would be making the same mistakes all over again. At a bare minimum, Herman needs to identify his dream DC candidate and make a run at that guy first. 

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

LSU doesn't have money

You can’t be this dumb, can you? LSU always has money for football.

I agree there doesn't seem to be a likely home run for DC.  Scalley and Lake have to be the top two candidates, but both seem very unlikely. Even if we were able to pull Scalley away from his alma mater where he's been coaching since ~2008, there are questions as to whether that is really Whittingham's defense (I think Scalley has only been the coordinator for two years). Kevin Steele? Ok, I guess I could get on board. 
Like most on here, my aversion to Chris Ash is primarily tied to his preexisting relationship with Herman. But, if he is hired, I'm sure I'll circle the wagons this offseason like the idiot I am.  

Scalley was an AA safety under Whitingham, is in his third or fourth year as coordinator, and has been a defensive coach there for over a decade. It's Whitingham's defense butt he certainly knows it well by now.

That said, totally agree he's not coming.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I do think it’s hard to find a DC who has a history of success and is used to defending spread offenses.  I’d like to see Herman make a run at some candidates like Lake and then only settling on Ash if he misses on multiple other targets. Guys like Lake or Scalley would be tough pulls. now that Auburn beat Bama, I could see Steele being tougher to get too since Malzahn is less on the hot seat, but Malzahn’a perpetual hot seat there may be wearing on Steele. 

I do think Ash would be better than Orlando, but that’s a low bar. Pretty much anyone who comes in and simplifies the defense and lets our athletes play would be an improvement.

My biggest opposition to Ash being the pick right away is primarily that Herman would be making the same mistakes all over again. At a bare minimum, Herman needs to identify his dream DC candidate and make a run at that guy first. 

You can’t be this dumb, can you? LSU always has money for football.

The reason LSU hired Orgeron was because he was cheap.  Money has definitely been an issue for them.  A coordinator raise is much less of a problem than ponying up the money for a big time head coach though.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This right here. I don't give a shit what conference our DC comes from - so long as he can develop recruits and teach the fundamentals his defense is going to stop people enough times for this team to win.

We have always been at our best when we line up, stay simple, and just whip people on defense with our historical talent advantage. Guys like Robinson, Boom, Chizik, and Dick Tomey did this really well and the results spoke for themselves as they all left for HC gigs. All of these DC's trying to get exotic like Diaz, Bedford, Orlando have all done far more harm than good and been fired. 

This year, Baylor and ISU just lined up and kicked our asses with inferior players the same way we should have been doing all season. Speaking of.. Why don't we have the ISU guy on our short list?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2

I just looked up defenses that Ash has coordinated. Numbers are for total defense from S&P then FEI.
Wiscy: (34, 46 in 2010 before he arrived)
2011: 36, 48
2012: 12, 18
11/8 the year after he left
Arkansas: (80/64 in 2012 before he arrived)
2013: 80, 99
ranked 20/12 the year after he left
OSU: (44/57 the year before he arrived)
2014: 24, 14
2015: 6, 7
8/3 in 2016 after he left

I don't know what to make of his one year in Arkansas. His teams improved at Wiscy and OSU. That said, there was no drop off after he left and significant improvement at Arkansas.  Without knowing more about each situation, it seems like Ash is a competent DC but doesn't seem like a defensive wizard.

Not advocating for Ash, but competent would be such a massive improvement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The reason LSU hired Orgeron was because he was cheap.  Money has definitely been an issue for them.  A coordinator raise is much less of a problem than ponying up the money for a big time head coach though.

No the reason LSU hired Orgeron is because Joe Avella is a moron who went all in on Herman and Fisher and got neither.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Makes me feel a little better about Chris Ash.  Thanks, Great Stuff @HtownHorn  

Replacing Chris Ash Will Be Urban Meyer's Biggest Challenge Yet at Ohio State

BEN AXELROD.      DECEMBER 7, 2015   AP

COLUMBUS, Ohio — As Ohio State closes the chapter on its national championship defense and looks ahead toward the consolation prize that will be the No. 7 Buckeyes' New Year's Day Fiesta Bowl matchup with No. 8 Notre Dame, Urban Meyer's greatest challenge won't be finding a way to neutralize Fighting Irish star linebacker Jaylon Smith or containing breakout quarterback DeShone Kizer.

Rather, when it comes to the weeks ahead, the fourth-year Ohio State head coach's priority will be finding a suitable replacement for the assistant coach who helped put the Buckeyes in a position to be defending the college football crown in the first place.  With Rutgers officially announcing on Monday that it has hired Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash as its new head coach, Meyer now finds himself having to fill the void left by losing the most valuable assistant on his staff for the second time in as many years. 

The first time came last winter, when offensive coordinator Tom Herman took the Houston head coaching job, a move Ohio State is still adjusting to, as evidenced by Meyer's decision to move new offensive coordinator Ed Warinner to the press box in the Buckeyes' regular season finale against Michigan.  Herman went on to lead the Cougars to an AAC championship and subsequent Peach Bowl appearance. But while Herman has become one of the hottest head coaches in college football, the loss of Ash could ultimately prove to be the more costly of the two for the Ohio State staff.  Because while Meyer has said he "took a chance" on Herman, hiring the unproven up-and-comer as the coordinator of his spread offense in 2012, Ash was a targeted hire, one that Meyer needed to nail to make the Buckeyes a legitimate national title contender.

Despite possessing first-round talents Ryan Shazier and Bradley Roby, Ohio State's passing defense ranked 112th nationally in 2013, an Achilles' heel that cost the Buckeyes' their final two games of the year after a 12-0 start.

0fdb052df31fc404ea15e2ff68aba083_crop_ex

Chris Ash has served as Ohio State's primary defensive coordinator since 2014.  Jay LaPrete/Associated Press 

Enter Ash, who Meyer plucked from Bret Bielema's staff at Arkansas after being impressed with how the then-Wisconsin defensive coordinator limited the Ohio State offense to 97 passing yards in 2012. Upon arriving in Columbus, Ash was charged with overhauling the Buckeyes defense and implementing his more aggressive press quarters scheme in place of a system that had become all too accustomed to giving up big plays.

It didn't take long for Ash's impact to be made apparent.  Even after losing Shazier and Roby to the 2014 NFL draft, Ohio State's pass defense climbed from being ranked 112th to 29th nationally in 2014, allowing 66.9 fewer passing yards per game. That was good enough to get Ohio State through three postseason games against Heisman Trophy finalists from Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon, with a defense that Meyer said was "as good as I've ever seen" by season's end.

Now the three-time national champion head coach must replace the architect behind it—Luke Fickell's status as "defensive coordinator" is more a title than anything else—as the Buckeyes lose Ash to a school within its own division.  "I love Chris Ash. He was an impact hire," Meyer said on Sunday, declining to comment on his new title with the Scarlet Knights until it was official. "One of the best coaches I've ever been around."

Just as Herman did last winter, Ash will remain with Ohio State through its bowl game, but that won't stop Meyer from getting a head start on finding his replacement. As speculated by Bucknuts.com's Dave Biddle, recently fired Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads would certainly make sense and could also fill the void Ash will leave as the Buckeyes' secondary coach.  After that, the names of potential candidates are tougher to decipher—Biddle also mentioned former Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt and Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin—and there's no member of Ohio State's current staff that appears in line for an obvious promotion.

That could ultimately prove to be a positive, as Meyer's decision to promote Warinner and bring in quarterbacks coach Tim Beck following Herman's departure last winter has been met with mixed reviews at best after one year.

Ash's system in Columbus is already in place, but maintaining it could prove to be easier said than done. This season, the Buckeyes defense ranked 12th overall nationally and 12th against the pass, a stark difference from where Ohio State stood just two years ago.  With as many as seven defensive starters expected to head to the NFL after the Fiesta Bowl—including star defensive end and potential No. 1 overall pick Joey Bosa—Meyer will have his work cut out when it comes to keeping his defense at a championship level.

But the most important piece to the Buckeyes defense that he must replace this winter is now headed for Piscataway.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I mean, yes and no.

He sold them on his vision of paying less to him and more to assistant pool and he pays a shitload to the coaches (Aranda is the #1 highest paid coach at 2.5m and if bought out he would cost $8.3m) - they have the 5th largest pool in the country currently

That number is going to go up a pretty significant amount with Brady...

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Urban hired him because he shut down his offense when he was at Wisconsin. Ash's defense held Oregon to 20 points in the championship game despite being -3 in TOs. Frankly I'm not concerned with a guy that schemes to shut down spread offenses. I want a guy that teaches solid fundamentals and tackling, the rest will take care of itself.

i hear what you're saying here, but are you ok with him learning on the job? because going from defending big 10 offenses weekly to big 12 offenses will be like drinking from a fire hose.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i hear what you're saying here, but are you ok with him learning on the job? because going from defending big 10 offenses weekly to big 12 offenses will be like drinking from a fire hose.

Do you have any suggestions for DCs with Impressive resumes and extensive spread experience? Seems like most DCs that face high powered offenses week in and week out get eaten up eventually. I wonder why that is.

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This right here. I don't give a shit what conference our DC comes from - so long as he can develop recruits and teach the fundamentals his defense is going to stop people enough times for this team to win.

This. I’m outta rep AGAIN or I’d give you some. Does anyone remember who was in charge of safeties for Kansas a few years back when they led the Big 12 in takeaways? Even though they had almost zero talent compared to other schools and shitty head coaching? I can’t ever remember that guy’s name and wonder whatever happened to him. Not saying we should hire just have always wondered. 

Wouldn't mind have GHarrell on staff such as it is. 

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean, yes and no.  He sold them on his vision of paying less to him and more to assistant pool and he pays a shitload to the coaches (Aranda is the #1 highest paid coach at 2.5m and if bought out he would cost $8.3m) - they have the 5th largest pool in the country currently.          That number is going to go up a pretty significant amount with Brady...

Herman should give his $1mill check due on Christmas back to CDC to help pay for the new assistant coaches.... He'll be a good guy and do that right??

giphy.gif

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Do you have any suggestions for DCs with Impressive resumes and extensive spread experience? Seems like most DCs that face high powered offenses week in and week out get eaten up eventually. I wonder why that is.

Sounds like we need to put Korn Ferry on the job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Jimmy Lake maybe??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Who gives a shit about Big 12 offenses. No one is going to consistently stop the offenses in this conference. It has been proven throughout the years, so hiring a guy to do that specifically is fucking retarded. Give me a guy that preaches solid defensive principles, fundamentals, and tackling.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

We were 2 defensive stops away from being 9-3, even with no imagination on offense.  We have a chance to address both of those issues.  Wait till be blow the hires again to be sad.

We were also a couple of field goals away from being 5-7

Sorry, I can't keep up with this thread anymore.  Somebody wake me up when we hire someone.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Well this does not a lovely Monday morning make.

I can totally see why he is roundly despised. He's a blowhard prick. Kind of like CTJ KIDDING, calm down.

But seriously, that he didn't initiate staff changes, especially re: Orlando and Meh, is simply mind boggling. Fuck, what a downer.

I'm hoping Herman is not that arrogant and lacking in self-reflection.  My hope is he was negotiating, and choosing not to start from a lesser position. Herman knew he was losing people,  but gave up Orlando and Meh for Beck. If so, I'm ok with that so far.  Gonna give it some time. 

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We have always been at our best when we line up, stay simple, and just whip people on defense with our historical talent advantage. Guys like Robinson, Boom, Chizik, and Dick Tomey did this really well and the results spoke for themselves as they all left for HC gigs. All of these DC's trying to get exotic like Diaz, Bedford, Orlando have all done far more harm than good and been fired. 

This year, Baylor and ISU just lined up and kicked our asses with inferior players the same way we should have been doing all season. Speaking of.. Why don't we have the ISU guy on our short list?

This is the reason why I have Heacock and Lake as my top two. 

Heacock (ISU DC) gave Orlando the Lightning package that he had so much success with in 2017. I believe he is also the guy that led the inverted tampa 2 movement that is now being played by everyone in the Big 12. I think his resume is one of the best in the country at keeping up with Big 12 offenses. He's shown the ability to adapt to both his own personnel and offensive trends in the big 12. He'd be my first pick from a schematic standpoint, but I don't know anything about how he would handle the recruiting and politics at Texas. 

I know less about Lake. Specifically how ready he is to be a solo DC. Their defense was good before he was co-DC and I'm not sure if he's the one calling plays at UW. That said, UW has had a great defense and the PAC 12 at least has some air raid and spread offenses. UW has consistently had Leach's and WSU's number over the last couple years. Leach's offense isn't really a fit in the current big 12, but it's better than guys who only play SEC or B1G offenses. UW also held Graham Harrell and USC to 14 points, their lowest this year. Also, I would love to bring his DB development resume here. Good DB play is a prerequisite for success in the Big 12. Luckily, we will always have DB talent on campus so it'd be great to bring in a guy that could help us get the DBU moniker back. 

Considering what the outcome appeared to be for Kstate going into this football season I came away impressed by their coaching staff and what they accomplished this year. Given the talent level, etc...

This was their first year. OC’s in the league will adapt and exploit next year.

Solid fundamentals are needed first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Who gives a shit about Big 12 offenses. No one is going to consistently stop the offenses in this conference. It has been proven throughout the years, so hiring a guy to do that specifically is fucking retarded. Give me a guy that preaches solid defensive principles, fundamentals, and tackling.

Reading between the lines here but I think what you’re saying is you want Greg Robinson. Is that correct?

A few things:
-If Harrell is the OC, and the rumors are legit but don’t take anything for granted until ink is dry, then Traylor could make a return. Herman would be admitting to a mistake in letting him go in the first place, so I’m iffy. There’s a shot. Traylor is a stud recruiter and ST coach, irrespective of which position role he would wind up with, if he were re-hired. 
-For all of the shit everyone gives Warehime, he’s actually done okay at TE coach and Wiley looks like a stud. He might stay. 
-Beck and Meekins will be gone after signing day. 
-Ash isn’t the leading candidate. 
-Outside of Giles, not sure if anyone is safe on defense if the new DC wants other guys. 
-Expect better positional balance in the coaching staff. 
-Money and CDC were involved with this. Anyone thinking otherwise is a fucking moron. Herman wasn’t ready to make changes. 
-Herman is roundly despised by the academic side and the money. Tech win gave him another season. He has been told unequivocally that they should be competing for a national title next year, that he needs to win the fucking bowl game, and they better damned sure land a top 10 class this year. If he fails at any of those, his ass is fucking gone. Obviously, if he fails at the bowl win and the recruiting class and then goes to the CFP, he’s keeping his job. 10 wins though? Some shit like that? Nope. Dude is fucking despised by too many important people. 
-Urban Meyer was not going to be approached, fwiw. The guy they had lined up would have been pretty fucking great and it will be interesting to see if he goes anywhere this year or if he’s still available after Herman buttfucks 2020. 

It’s been 13 hours and this post is still incredibly depressing. I nominate this as the most significant post to date in the history of Surly. CTJ, couldn’t you have just lied to everyone and say everything will be alright? Give me the blue pill.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I just want someone who can teach our players that they can use both their hands and their arms when they tackle. Is that too much to ask?

Yes. That is too much to ask (apparently more than 1.7 mil/yr) and it is why we are having this conversation right now.

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Reading between the lines here but I think what you’re saying is you want Greg Robinson. Is that correct?

He might be dead, but he was highly successful twice at Texas because he understood that making defensive calls simple allowed his athletes to react much quicker to what was happening around them.

Sometimes you don’t have to be great to win big, and Coach Slingblade may be an example of that, just like Fulmer, Mad Hatter, and FUPM.

Luck, great talent on the field, and strong assistants who actually get the shit done, and knowing when not to interfere and fuck things up.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Tom was forced to fire Mehringer. Let that sink in, then continue to remain hopeful he’s got this and we’ll compete for a conference championship and playoff appearance next year.

Lulz, your hot takes on this thread are breathtakingly retarded.

I guess I can believe that Herman has alienated himself to a point where his 4th season is playoffs or CC or he's fired, and that he is too mensa to even recognize which guys on his staff needed to be terminated and CDC had too step in and force it.  And through all that they had a great hire lined up but decided not to pull the trigger because of a win against Tech. 

If I am to believe all of that, I have no choice but to believe that CDC is useless and this will be fucked up again next time.  Given the above what redeeming quality about Herman would warrant a 4th year with basically a bar that we hardly reached when we were good?