2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

35 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

No surprise, but Anwar is saying that Chad Morris isn't being considered for the OC job

I have a hard time believing that guy has any viable source for accurate info. He’s chronically wrong and Orangebloods is persona non grata within Belmont. Who raised the Morris rumor in the first place?

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So Herman can't come to his own conclusions on Meh and Orlando; has to go to the college playoff next year or else... but they're skipping over some nails balls excellent HC hire this year. Ohhhhk

2020 season will be a waste. Herman will be fired and we’ll start behind the curve. Again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

2020 season will be a waste. Herman will be fired and we’ll start behind the curve. Again. 

Yah, if you have a guy lined up now and you're having to baby Herman along with needed coaching decisions, cut that fucking bait now. Don't be fucking idiots. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I have a hard time believing that guy has any viable source for accurate info. He’s chronically wrong and Orangebloods is persona non grata within Belmont. Who raised the Morris rumor in the first place?

You're telling me you don't think this guy has sources?

Look, I don't know enough about this guy to be sure that his sources for the above tweet were his eyeballs. So I'm going to have to assume that his sources are posters on his own internet board. Here's a list of things that he says his sources have told him lately:

1. Todd Orlando didn't adjust his defensive scheme to suit the talent, players were not developed, and he was not a high level recruiter.
2. The top two candidates to replace offensive coordinator Tim Beck at Texas are USC's Graham Harrell and LSU's Joe Brady.
3. Texas football coach Tom Herman has relieved OC Tim Beck and WR coach Drew Mehringer of their duties, while Co-WR coach Corby Meekins has been reassigned. Beck will have a non-OC role. Mehringer is fired. Meekins will have an off-the-field position.
4. Tim Beck could survive until the bowl game. There is a chance Beck is reassigned and remains the quarterback coach.
5. Longhorn co-defensive coordinator Craig Naivar is expected to take Orlando’s position from now until the bowl game.

I heard the same things from my sources right here on surly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You're telling me you don't think this guy has sources?

Look, I don't know enough about this guy to be sure that his sources for the above tweet were his eyeballs. So I'm going to have to assume that his sources are posters on his own internet board. Here's a list of things that he says his sources have told him lately:

1. Todd Orlando didn't adjust his defensive scheme to suit the talent, players were not developed, and he was not a high level recruiter.
2. The top two candidates to replace offensive coordinator Tim Beck at Texas are USC's Graham Harrell and LSU's Joe Brady.
3. Texas football coach Tom Herman has relieved OC Tim Beck and WR coach Drew Mehringer of their duties, while Co-WR coach Corby Meekins has been reassigned. Beck will have a non-OC role. Mehringer is fired. Meekins will have an off-the-field position.
4. Tim Beck could survive until the bowl game. There is a chance Beck is reassigned and remains the quarterback coach.
5. Longhorn co-defensive coordinator Craig Naivar is expected to take Orlando’s position from now until the bowl game.

I heard the same things from my sources right here on surly.

That'll be $9.95 please

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So Herman can't come to his own conclusions on Meh and Orlando; has to go to the college playoff next year or else... but they're skipping over some nails balls excellent HC hire this year. Ohhhhk

Add to that the tceh win was Densa’s saving moment......ORLY?

Harder to choke down than an aggy NC.

1 hour ago, Daichee Bell said:

I'm hoping Herman is not that arrogant and lacking in self-reflection.  My hope is he was negotiating, and choosing not to start from a lesser position. Herman knew he was losing people,  but gave up Orlando and Meh for Beck. If so, I'm ok with that so far.  Gonna give it some time. 

Negotiating with who?  If Herman truly had awareness of the problems and the need to fix things then he should be the one wanting to get rid of these guys.  The only reason he'd be negotiating is because he's beimg force to get rid of guys he wants to keep.  If that's the case then he has no real recognition of the problems and we're fucked as lomg as he's here.

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, if you have a guy lined up now and you're having to baby Herman along with needed coaching decisions, cut that fucking bait now. Don't be fucking idiots. 

1234.  Monumentally stupid if they are having to make decisions for Herman, set the bar extremely high for next season, all so they can bring in an unknown HCIW.   And the Tech win put the brakes on everything. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

Here is the thing, I think Tom Herman is Dan Hawkins and needs to have his own Chris Peterson type coordinator. At Boise all the success was attributed to Dan and that is why he was hired at Colorado even though some poster on hornfans kept telling us that Chris Peterson was the reason for Boise's success. Dan got to Colorado and failed without Peterson. Peterson got to Washington and turned the program around this year not withstanding.

We are all excited about guys with good numbers even though we may not agree if it is Brady, Harrell, Cumbie, Morris or Lashlee. So personally this how I rank the options.

Would not be upset:

Harrell - Good numbers and we know he ran the show at UNT since even though the head coach was an OC  in the past the offense sucked before Harrell got to UNT.

Cumbie - At some point he had good enough numbers to be the #1 choice by many here for our OC. We know he runs the show. Patterson is a defensive minded coach.

Popular with others but I am not sold:

Brady - He does not have enough experience running it all

No Way Jose:

Morris - He ran a shit show at Arkansas when he was in charge. He will not help Herman run a tighter ship.

Lashlee - I think Dykes is running that show and it has been said that Malzahn had to take OC duties back because Lashlee just was not doing a good job. So his success comes from the head coach. We know Herman is not that type otherwise Tim would have been great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Negotiating with who?  If Herman truly had awareness of the problems and the need to fix things then he should be the one wanting to get rid of these guys.  The only reason he'd be negotiating is because he's beimg force to get rid of guys he wants to keep.  If that's the case then he has no real recognition of the problems and we're fucked as lomg as he's here.

I'm sure the discussion from CDC was "Tom the money is lined up, if they don't see massive change it is going to be hard for me to protect you.  what do you need to be successful?"

This will be spun as "Tom made all the hiring and firing decisions and everyone is in support of Tom from top to bottom" from CDC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thujone said:

Well this does not a lovely Monday morning make.

I can totally see why he is roundly despised. He's a blowhard prick. Kind of like CTJ KIDDING, calm down.

But seriously, that he didn't initiate staff changes, especially re: Orlando and Meh, is simply mind boggling. Fuck, what a downer.

This underlines something I've been trying to express to a certain family member of mine who was arguing with me all season long that Herman should have a chance to "fix" things: He hired these idiots in the first place, and is clearly a fish out of water in this role.

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Are people just now finding out that Herman is an abrasive guy? This is impressive. 

People are just now finding out that our on-field issues aren't entirely talent related.

1 hour ago, Daichee Bell said:

I'm hoping Herman is not that arrogant and lacking in self-reflection.  My hope is he was negotiating, and choosing not to start from a lesser position. Herman knew he was losing people,  but gave up Orlando and Meh for Beck. If so, I'm ok with that so far.  Gonna give it some time. 

Hope-is-a-dangerous-thing.-Hope-can-driv

41 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Touche

No disagreement.

I'd say there's less than a 1% chance this all works out.

Hmph. Optimist.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Everyone on this board needs to drop everything and go read "Trust me, I'm lying" by Ryan Holiday. The entire $9.95'er playbook is in there, right down to the uncorrected typos in their reports.

Somebody please start a new thread when there is news. This is like an overflow pond for all the other threads. It also seems to be rife with speculation adopted as fact and then wrapped in confirmation bias.

I think everyone is on record multiple times about multiple aspects of just a few subjects.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Add to that the tceh win was Densa’s saving moment......ORLY?

Harder to choke down than an aggy NC.

Why does tech keep fucking with us man? Is this still about McWilliams? Why can’t they beat us when they need to? 

All kidding aside, I’m beyond pissed that we are in this spot to begin with. Herman is an unmitigated asshole and this is pretty much it for him. 

I will try to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best with the new hires but...if he fails I won’t be sad to see him go. It’s a shame CDC wasn’t here when we conducted our hiring “search.” 

Herman is a douche bag that apparently is poorly thought of all around by the university. That’s super cool btw. Hire an unproven prick. I don’t care if his wife can do handstands on her tits. Bob Stoops wife sells Mary K and that didn’t stop him from beating us into submission routinely. 

If Herman is DOA (especially with Tampa 2/Inverted Tampa 2) destroying his stale offensive schemes I will be happy to see his ass gone. 

From the recruiting board - looks like Scalley is officially out as a candidate at DC:

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Per IT

Hide contents

Things turned fast on the Morgan Scalley pursuit as he offered a thanks but no thanks. A lot has changed in a year and he no longer needs a stepping stone job in order to be under consideration for head coaching jobs.

Bummer. He's beloved by his players and would have been a rainmaker recruiter.

Names we've heard since late last night include Jimmy Lake and Barry Odom, but right now things are pointing in Chris Ash's direction. I've heard that removing Todd Orlando as DC was Herman's decision. Orlando being a Herman favorite, along with Drew Mehringer (also terminated), makes more sense if Herman felt he'd be able to hire Ash. In a shocking coincidence, if Ash is hired, the best man across the entire spectrum of football worked with Herman at Ohio State.

I'm not sure Texas should be in a hurry to make a defensive coordinator hire but things seem to be moving pretty quickly in Ash's direction. They should definitely gauge all relevant parties to see how this hire would be received. I think Ash would be fine schematically and runs a four-man front but the locker room fit is questionable. As a recruiter he would be able to tell kids he coached Nick Bosa's brother.

On offense I still hear Graham Harrell is the top target. I know there's talk of Joe Brady out there but I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons: LSU will just match offers, and I heard UT wanted OC wrapped up pretty quickly. Brady's about to help LSU win a National Championship.

Clay Helton's employment may still be undecided at USC. I've heard a range of things, from they're still working on buyout details to the AD and BMD's being on different pages. The AD might be trying to hold on to Helton and Harrell. I don't know the politics of USC but it seems whoever made the call on hiring the new AD might still want Helton.

I think Harrell can be had regardless but it would be harder to pull him if Helton is still the head coach at SC.

Joe will be adding questions and replies in the op. So if don't have time to read through, just circle back.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

My biggest concern with this whole concept (if true) that Herm has been given required benchmarks to meet next year (ie. Playoffor else) is what do you do if the guy gets in the vicinity of the benchmarks but doesn't achieve them.  If he loses 2 games early and is never in the playoff discussion,  but ends with just 2 losses do you still fire him?  Probably not.  Then you're stuck in limbo for another year waitimg to see if that year or this year was the real TH.

USC and Helton is an example.  Instead of just cutting bait last year they gave him one more season with required thresholds.  He didn't meet them but got close.  Last I checked they haven't fired him yet and some think they won't.  And yet how much confidence is there that he's going to take them to a championship level based on this year's result?

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Everyone on this board needs to drop everything and go read "Trust me, I'm lying" by Ryan Holiday. The entire $9.95'er playbook is in there, right down to the uncorrected typos in their reports.

The most remarkable thing is that Holiday wrote that book in 2010-11 and published it in 2012, yet all those techniques still work.

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The most remarkable thing is that Holiday wrote that book in 2010-11 and published it in 2012, yet all those techniques still work.

He's updated it since then. Definitely worth checking out the update, if only for the interview with Maddox.

28 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Here is the thing, I think Tom Herman is Dan Hawkins and needs to have his own Chris Peterson type coordinator. At Boise all the success was attributed to Dan and that is why he was hired at Colorado even though some poster on hornfans kept telling us that Chris Peterson was the reason for Boise's success. Dan got to Colorado and failed without Peterson. Peterson got to Washington and turned the program around this year not withstanding.

We are all excited about guys with good numbers even though we may not agree if it is Brady, Harrell, Cumbie, Morris or Lashlee. So personally this how I rank the options.

Would not be upset:

Harrell - Good numbers and we know he ran the show at UNT since even though the head coach was an OC  in the past the offense sucked before Harrell got to UNT.

Cumbie - At some point he had good enough numbers to be the #1 choice by many here for our OC. We know he runs the show. Patterson is a defensive minded coach.

Popular with others but I am not sold:

Brady - He does not have enough experience running it all

No Way Jose:

Morris - He ran a shit show at Arkansas when he was in charge. He will not help Herman run a tighter ship.

Lashlee - I think Dykes is running that show and it has been said that Malzahn had to take OC duties back because Lashlee just was not doing a good job. So his success comes from the head coach. We know Herman is not that type otherwise Tim would have been great.

I've heard from some in the TCU world that Cumbie is on his way out. So I'd go ahead and pass on the OC that passed on us several years back and now has the potential of being fired from TCU.

• Like 1

I could live with Ash as a fallback option. But if the plan was just to try Scalley, which was never, ever going to happen, then it means Ash was effectively Plan A. Jimmy Lake is only slightly more realistic.

Odom and whoever runs Arizona State's D should get a look. Mike MaCentyre (sp? Ex Colorado coach) is available and has a strong defensive track record. I'm not necessarialy saying any of those should be the choice. Maybe Ash is better than all of them. But to be here in a day reeks of Herman making another comfort hire.

Not sure what IT means by locker room fit unless it's just association with Herman/Mehringer. Only one way to fix that problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

He’s negotiating with CDC in big-money donors. He can still recognize there is an issue, which he said, but still not want to make the blanket changes that other people are calling for.

20 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

My biggest concern with this whole concept (if true) that Herm has been given required benchmarks to meet next year (ie. Playoffor else) is what do you do if the guy gets in the vicinity of the benchmarks but doesn't achieve them.  If he loses 2 games early and is never in the playoff discussion,  but ends with just 2 losses do you still fire him?  Probably not.  Then you're stuck in limbo for another year waitimg to see if that year or this year was the real TH.

USC and Helton is an example.  Instead of just cutting bait last year they gave him one more season with required thresholds.  He didn't meet them but got close.  Last I checked they haven't fired him yet and some think they won't.  And yet how much confidence is there that he's going to take them to a championship level based on this year's result?

The supposed benchmark is so absurd for the current state of affairs that I don't even get the point of a 4th year if true.  That leads me to believe CDC has about as much of a clue as Herman.

I'd be happy on offense with something like Harrell, Drayton, Hand, Emmett Jones/Samples, and Cumbie/Traylor. I don't love the idea of Ash running the defense, but I agree that he'd be an improvement on Orlando by merely getting the defense lined up so that it's not outflanked before the play is started by good OCs, not having safeties consistently having to set the edge from deep or from the corner spot, not blitzing from deep while QBs get rid of the ball before the safety gets to the line of scrimmage with the QB frequently throwing to the area the safety vacated, teaching how to tackle properly, and not having corners play eight yards off the LOS on 3rd and short. 

Potentially having a transition year during one of the better in-state recruiting classes, similar to what happened in 2017, pisses me off. But here we are. Maybe Harrell saves Tom's job for another year. 

• Like 3