2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Per Eric Nahlin, Ash would be a questionable locker room fit - in the sense that he'd be viewed as another Orlando (from a personality standpoint) and may not be the 'good cop' presence needed to balance out Herman. Whatever that means.

Regardless, Ash has apparently been unemployed and hanging around the football facilities for months. So it's pretty clear his services aren't in high demand. Dress it up however you want, it's a comfort hire.

1) The man has been fired for like 2 months, literally. so while yes he has been unemployed for two months it isn't like he has been there for a long time

2) not in high demand? he is owed like $8.5 million over the next like 3 years and has offset language in his contract. 

while what you are saying may be the case (not in high demand) he was fired 2 months ago, during the season. not many jobs generally open up for guys fired mid season - shit on him for legit reasons, like him being a comfort hire, but don't make things up to make it sound worse than it is.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

spacer.png

This is a relatively large signal that IT thinks Ash is the hire, and they're trying to get their subs excited about him.

Honestly, though, I know Ash would demonstrate a failure of Herman to actually go find better available coaches.  But if he can teach our defense to line up, play assignment sound, and tackle, we will be a top 25 defense year in and year out.

16 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Herman needs the opposite of a comfort hire at this point. He needs a discomfort hire, at a minimum, and it should be more or less out of his hands.

What does this even mean?  Like CDC should make the hires for him?  What's the point in employing a head coach if that's the case?  Just let him fuck it up so he's gone sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d love to get Newberry from Navy. But he’d probably pop Herman in the face. 

Like that would be a bad thing or something

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

No, he's staying on at Washington in an advisory role. He's not taking another job. 

Well, not since we kept Herman.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Peterson will be Assistant AD at UW - not a bad gig while he waits for the Texas job to open up in 2020.

i wish... 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Herman is allowed to hire Chris Ash, we know all we need to know about what's happening here. There's no narcissistic breakthrough or a boss fully forcing the guy into the proper decisions. 

People can rationalize about Ash all they want, but it would be a terrible fucking hire. He's not beloved by players. He was not solely responsible for anything at Ohio State. He hired one of the worst staffs in the history of CFB at Rutgers and the program failed dramatically on both sides of the ball during his entire tenure. One can argue that the HC stuff doesn't matter, but the counter is that there's not a ton of shit to go on with this guy where he was an independent decision-maker outside of Rutgers. I mean, we know he can get along great with assholes, as he worked happily under Bielema and Meyer, and alongside Herman, I guess. He's been available on the job market for months and no one wants him. 

This would be a comfort hire for a guy that needs to be pressing himself far outside of the comfort zone. There are a ton of good to great candidates at DC, young and old, and the wallet is open for whomever. Hiring Ash would be both a personal and organizational failure for Herman and the program.

Bobby Jack Wright part II: electric boogaloo

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is a relatively large signal that IT thinks Ash is the hire, and they're trying to get their subs excited about him.

Honestly, though, I know Ash would demonstrate a failure of Herman to actually go find better available coaches.  But if he can teach our defense to line up, play assignment sound, and tackle, we will be a top 25 defense year in and year out.

Isn't Nahlin down playing Ash there? Doesn't seem like he's hyping up the subs to me 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Isn't Nahlin down playing Ash there? Doesn't seem like he's hyping up the subs to me 

It's pretty clear (at least to me) that he's being sarcastic to the numerous individuals at IT who, like many posters here, are complaining that being a DC in the B1G is much easier than being one in the Big 12.  He's joking that teaching tackling must be easier in the B1G, too, because Ash did a good job coaching that.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

It's pretty clear (at least to me) that he's being sarcastic to the numerous individuals at IT who, like many posters here, are complaining that being a DC in the B1G is much easier than being one in the Big 12.  He's joking that teaching tackling must be easier in the B1G, too, because Ash did a good job coaching that.

source.gif

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Yeah, I think you're the only person that is clear for, because that's not the vibe I'm getting at all. Especially when you consider a couple sentences prior he flat out said Texas should slow down this process (which is doing the opposite in favor of Ash) AND to gauge how everyone would react to the hire, as well as saying he isn't a locker room fit. If your idea of getting subscribers excited is to say Texas is moving too fast in the direction of someone who is a poor locker room fit, imploring them to seek feedback on an Ash hire to interested parties before moving forward, AND reminding everyone that defending is easier in the Big 10 as opposed to the Big 12 is your idea of a rallying cry, well, agree to disagree. 

That or you've gone full Futureman today and I'm just missing the joke by a few feet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I think you're the only person that is clear for, because that's not the vibe I'm getting at all. Especially when you consider a couple sentences prior he flat out said Texas should slow down this process (which is doing the opposite in favor of Ash) AND to gauge how everyone would react to the hire, as well as saying he isn't a locker room fit. If your idea of getting subscribers excited is to say Texas is moving too fast in the direction of someone who is a poor locker room fit, imploring them to seek feedback on an Ash hire to interested parties before moving forward, AND reminding everyone that defending is easier in the Big 10 as opposed to the Big 12 is your idea of a rallying cry, well, agree to disagree. 

That or you've gone full Futureman today and I'm just missing the joke by a few feet. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11306945

Edited to add:  But seriously, that was how I read that small snippet that was posted.  Have no idea the full context of Nahlin's other thoughts.  Was just responding to that post, which seemed to offer some support for Ash's ability to teach as a DC, regardless of the conference.

Edited by Katfid54

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Realistically I think everyone needs to prepare for disappointment. Herman is a dead man walking and everyone can see. I just don’t believe we can score top coordinators. 

I don't think that matters very much. Hell, if you're a top coordinator, and you do your job at Texas: A. Herman probably doesn't get fired; B. If Herman gets fired you have a chance at the head job.

Good coordinators aren't scared. 

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Don't think it was a joke. And he's correct. Defenders tackle better when they have less to think about. And most Big Ten offenses give defenses very little to think about.

15 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11306945

Edited to add:  But seriously, that was how I read that small snippet that was posted.  Have no idea the full context of Nahlin's other thoughts.  Was just responding to that post, which seemed to offer some support for Ash's ability to teach as a DC, regardless of the conference.

Yeah, he's not on board with Ash. Additionally, he's also taken more than his fair share of shots at Herman recently, and has stated he no longer thinks Herman is the guy who can get things done at Texas. 

EDIT: Later in Nahlin's chat he literally said that Herman should look to the NFL for a DC. I'd say that's a ringing endorsement for Not Ash. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, MoJames said:

Doreen Ash

-ce940e2ca8091bf6.JPG

Jesus, look at Ash and that big, beautiful neanderthal fucking dome.

I think I've figured out Herman's hiring pattern. He only hires cavemen looking motherfuckers or white privilege roosters to coach. Orlando, Wareheim, Ash, Mehringer...3 giant meatheads and a skinny little dipshit. Someone get Frank Beamer's goiter on the line, Herman will probably hire it as a recruiting analyst. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Urban hired him because he shut down his offense when he was at Wisconsin. Ash's defense held Oregon to 20 points in the championship game despite being -3 in TOs. Frankly I'm not concerned with a guy that schemes to shut down spread offenses. I want a guy that teaches solid fundamentals and tackling, the rest will take care of itself.

I have been saying that forever.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So they have to force Tom to fire Meh and Orlando....

....but are going to just let him hire Ash.

Again: okkkkkay

Why do you view these scenarios as mutually exclusive possibilities? It's not even vaguely odd. 

As recently as a few weeks ago, Mehringer was being actively floated as a candidate for other schools. As much fucking damage as Drew Mehringer has done at Texas - in terrible coaching, terrible people management, terrible recruiting, terrible culture impact, and in opportunity cost of what could have happened with someone, anyone, superior in role - his buddy and boss was trying to merely find a soft place for him to land, as he did after the disaster Meh created in 2017. Herman doesn't fucking get it. It's not hard for anyone else near the program or watching the fucking program to get it otherwise. Orlando was shit in 2018 and worse this year, and Mehringer hasn't run a fucking thing but his mouth since the day his worthless ass showed up. 

The word is that a thumb-in-the-air player survey ahead of the Tech game showed universal disgust for Mehringer. The only person anywhere other than presumably his mother that felt like he had any value just happened to be his running buddy and boss, who also happens to be universally despised by anyone that comes in contact with him. I didn't think anyone else could possibly be confused about the uselessness of Meh besides Herman and then you showed up in this thread and have acted incredulous at the premise that Herman's boss could spot what everyone else could spot and tell him "shitcan that fucktard before I have to shitcan you as well". What kind of crazy world involves a boss two levels above an employee knowing the value of that employee and having a view on him/her for the future? So fucking crazy, man! 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why do you view these scenarios as mutually exclusive possibilities? It's not even vaguely odd. 

As recently as a few weeks ago, Mehringer was being actively floated as a candidate for other schools. As much fucking damage as Drew Mehringer has done at Texas - in terrible coaching, terrible people management, terrible recruiting, terrible culture impact, and in opportunity cost of what could have happened with someone, anyone, superior in role - his buddy and boss was trying to merely find a soft place for him to land, as he did after the disaster Meh created in 2017. Herman doesn't fucking get it. It's not hard for anyone else near the program or watching the fucking program to get it otherwise. Orlando was shit in 2018 and worse this year, and Mehringer hasn't run a fucking thing but his mouth since the day his worthless ass showed up. 

The word is that a thumb-in-the-air player survey ahead of the Tech game showed universal disgust for Mehringer. The only person anywhere other than presumably his mother that felt like he had any value just happened to be his running buddy and boss, who also happens to be universally despised by anyone that comes in contact with him. I didn't think anyone else could possibly be confused about the uselessness of Meh besides Herman and then you showed up in this thread and have acted incredulous at the premise that Herman's boss could spot what everyone else could spot and tell him "shitcan that fucktard before I have to shitcan you as well". What kind of crazy world involves a boss two levels above an employee knowing the value of that employee and having a view on him/her for the future? So fucking crazy, man! 

i think he's questioning whether IF the first statement is true whether he would be given the autonomy to make another drinking buddy, Rutgers reject comfort hire.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i hear what you're saying here, but are you ok with him learning on the job? because going from defending big 10 offenses weekly to big 12 offenses will be like drinking from a fire hose.

Here again....basic fundamentals will greatly improve this defense. No need to be cute. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't think anyone else could possibly be confused about the uselessness of Meh besides Herman and then you showed up in this thread and have acted incredulous at the premise that Herman's boss could spot what everyone else could spot and tell him "shitcan that fucktard before I have to shitcan you as well". What kind of crazy world involves a boss two levels above an employee knowing the value of that employee and having a view on him/her for the future? So fucking crazy, man! 

Maybe you've read a lot of other shit on here, and something I said triggered you to quote me in this, but I'm pretty got damn sure I've also mentioned Orlando and Beck in my comments as well. This isn't solely about Meh. And I believe it was you who said that CDC and others were involved because Herman was hesitant to make changeS?

So basically my point is: if the powers who be, including CDC REALLY had to twist Tom's arms to make changes, because he's that loyal of a guy to the people he's known and worked with in the past, then HOW and WHY in the fuck are they going to let him replace one of those with another of the same?

And to bounce off of you, if Herman is the kind to let a piece of shit like Meh rot inside of his own got damn house, why in the fuck are they going to let him hire anyone himself period?  

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 7