2020 Coaching Staff

27 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Next year, if Herman either excels or crashes, that outcome could decide his fate. 

But what if he repeats 2018?  No conf. championship or contending for a national title, but a couple of good wins, a decent bowl and a 10+ win season?  And the perception of substantial improvement from a 7-6 or 6-7 season?

In that scenario, I don't see Del Conte firing him.  

CDC won’t have a choice. The aging boomers with the money don’t want to spend the last decade+ of their existence watching fluctuations of 7-6 to 10-4 with a well-paid asshole coach that they can’t or won’t engage and interact with on the reg. Pretty much everyone would get behind an asshole winning the conference regularly and making the playoffs every 1-3 years. It’s up or fucking out and it should be. 

Also, anyone lamenting BMD issues and the history with Texas, the one thing that’s awesome about Herman and his lieutenants being such mouthbreathing imbeciles is that he’s somehow managed to unite the boosters across UT’s entire network against him. I don’t see a 10-4 season without a conference title and no prayer of the playoffs by November changing that, especially with the prospect of breaking in a new QB to follow the 2020 season. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Name that I haven't seen yet: Would Norvell take an OC gig or is he going to seek a P5 HC spot this year?

If you haven't seen it yet it's because you're not paying attention. Norvell isn't leaving a HC position, regardless of where, to be a coordinator. Especially since he's been linked to the HC positions as a person of interest by both Florida State and Ole' Miss. That's something you might get a DII or DIII coach to do, but probably not a guy who just went fucking 11-1 and Memphis, dude. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CDC won’t have a choice. The aging boomers with the money don’t want to spend the last decade+ of their existence watching fluctuations of 7-6 to 10-4 with a well-paid asshole coach that they can’t or won’t engage and interact with on the reg. Pretty much everyone would get behind an asshole winning the conference regularly and making the playoffs every 1-3 years. It’s up or fucking out and it should be. 

Also, anyone lamenting BMD issues and the history with Texas, the one thing that’s awesome about Herman and his lieutenants being such mouthbreathing imbeciles is that he’s somehow managed to unite the boosters across UT’s entire network against him. I don’t see a 10-4 season without a conference title and no prayer of the playoffs by November changing that, especially with the prospect of breaking in a new QB to follow the 2020 season. 

We'll at least get to test your theory as there isn't an OC/DC hire out there that can playoff this team next year. 

17 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

It seems fairly well established that TH is a dick that not many people like. He certainly doesn't exude the kind of charisma that usually goes along with being at the head of a major FBS program, which, as we all know, is as much politician and leader as it is management and football IQ. I bet CDC recognizes the inherent weakness involved in keeping an unlikeable, technocrat coach at Texas. And if there isn't dramatic improvement, not only in record but in eye-test, we could see a change. 

Wouldn't care if he is a prick or not as long as he was a leader and a coach that got his players to WIN.

As for the "technocrat" where was the "tech" ?...there was zero innovation, progressively less actually each season. 

There was very little attention to detail so I don't get this label. Could be he is just an arrogant prick, who happened into some teams that had good players and some good assistants.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I think it's pretty fucking funny how many people are caught up on the fact that Herman's an asshole.

Of course he's an asshole.  Most coaches are.

This is true. But he could at least be an entertaining, confidence-inspiring asshole. Rather, he's a tweaky, smug, thin-skinned one. 

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

Wouldn't care if he is a prick or not as long as he was a leader and a coach that got his players to WIN.

As for the "technocrat" where was the "tech" ?...there was zero innovation, progressively less actually each season. 

There was very little attention to detail so I don't get this label. Could be he is just an arrogant prick, who happened into some teams that had good players and some good assistants.

Don't actually use your eyes to evaluate what happened on the field, sir. All you need to know is that Herman has a giant binder of statistics and it's very, very technical. You couldn't even possibly understand it, like turtling against Iowa State. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

I don't see how Ash could really be in consideration. Dude is toxic.

"Rutgers football fans and alumni deserve the apology, because the episode crystallizes everything wrong with Ash — and illuminates what Hobbs must do next. Ash came into town thinking he knew everything. In fact he knew nothing, because he possessed zero ties to New Jersey and had zero experience running a college football team.

Instead of approaching the job with an open mind because of these obvious resume gaps, Ash came east dripping with hubris. The result was a tenure that produced consistently embarrassing results despite unprecedented resources pouring into the program. Although it’s un-Rutgers like to fire a coach midseason absent a scandal, Hobbs had no choice. Ash’s ineptitude was overshadowing the many good things happening on the banks — ranked teams in women’s soccer, men’s soccer and field hockey, a powerhouse wrestling program, improving men’s hoops and state-of-the-art facilities rising left and right.

"https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/09/29/rutgers-football-why-chris-ash-failed-and-what-pat-hobbs-should-learn-for-the-next-hire/3813549002/

So he sucked as a HC?  Are we hiring him for that position?

The guy might suck but you'll need to provide more evidence he sucks as a DC to convince anyone.  

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you haven't seen it yet it's because you're not paying attention. Norvell isn't leaving a HC position, regardless of where, to be a coordinator. Especially since he's been linked to the HC positions as a person of interest by both Florida State and Ole' Miss. That's something you might get a DII or DIII coach to do, but probably not a guy who just went fucking 11-1 and Memphis, dude. 

What you are saying is that he is likely seeking a HC spot?

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

At this point, I'm pretty sure no one with ties to Tom Herman will be an acceptable hire for most Texas fans. Prepare for a long, hard winter.

People will convince themselves next year could be better.  It's easier than accepting that we're in a holding pattern and will have to wait 21 months before we see the next regime coach a game.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

People will convince themselves next year could be better.

Oh, but next year will be better. Given returning production, it's likely next year would have been better even if none of the dead wood had been fired.

Therein, of course, lay the biggest danger to the Texas program:  results on the field are almost inevitably going to improve, which may very well mask any remaining underlying problems that limit the ceiling of the program in the long run.

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Offensive analyst Andre Coleman and defensive analyst Jeremiah George will also join the on-field assistants for the bowl game — Coleman will serve as the interim wide receivers coach and George will serve as the interim linebackers coach.

Maybe the players will now get some coaching they can rely upon.

If what was posted about Ash and his personality/ mannerisms as HC walking into a new situation as mentioned above are true, then he is a Densa clone, which is just what we want for this team with a pre-toxic locker room. 

I don't buy the "let him hang himself" routine, not with good recruits in the pipeline and a covey of new Rig 12 Coaches that are seemingly competent, except for maybe Lesticles, who is very lucky. We still have a lot to overcome against ISU, Baylor, OSU, KSU, TCU, and the usual ou. Tech has better coaching than their record as well. It could be a brutal season next year.

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

People will convince themselves next year could be better.  It's easier than accepting that we're in a holding pattern and will have to wait 21 months before we see the next regime coach a game.

Probably one of the more depressing things about all this is the fanbase convincing themselves things COULD be better because we fired all of our coordinators, again, and not because we lost them due to them having wild success and going off to a HC'ing job elsewhere. By and in large the infrastructure of any successful program can withstand a bad hire here and there with the vast majority of their coordinators being poached along the way. Where we seemingly are cleaning house every 3 years and total regime changes every 4. We're like some war torn eastern European country like Scruvuvlvia or Bajoohavistan teetering between feuding warlords every time the seasons change.  

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Great point about breaking in a new QB for 2021 season.  Sam having another year may have factored into CDC's decision for Herman to coach 2020...

When someone develops a viewpoint of a public figure based upon what they see and hear on tv or in the news, I always caution them that you never know what that person is really like in real life. Tom Hanks could be a complete dickhead for all we know.

When Herman was hired I supported it with one significant reservation. There was quite a bit of public information out there that indicated he was a thin-skinned immature prick. I am still amazed that he appears to be even worse in real life than his public image and still passed the vetting process at Texas. He appears to be a horrible manager. Mind bottling.

When the lottery was 440 million I knew the winning numbers and I was right. I didn’t play it cause I didn’t want to risk losing a dollar, but I knew it.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we are too convinced that things and people don't change. We also become married to our predictions.

I don't rule out at all that Herman may very well be going through a painful learning process that could lead to change. He'd had only success or at least improvement prior to this season. This season was a stunning step backward. He has to reflect on that.

He was forced by performance and maybe CDC to jettison the coaching team he hand picked. That must be difficult and humbling.

We read that he changed his attitude in the locker room towards the players as the season continued to unravel. After a miserable first quarter against Tech, something made the team emotionally come together and play hard. I thought they were going to tank, but team leadership and maybe something from Herman brought them back to life. Tech isn't good, but we dominated them after the first quarter like a top ten team is supposed to.

I have no investment in declaring Herman worthless. I was among the positive after last season. I think stories of how people hate a coach are generally slanted to fit the success of a coach. Everybody hates Herman, get rid of him. Everybody hates Saban, let's try to hire him. Again, maybe Herman is humbled. Men change. Men improve.

Herman wants this job and he wants to succeed. Let's see if he adjusts. Writing him off as he is making these changes seems unfair to me. 

I realize you are including BMD's and academics in the potential everyone hates Herman but importantly, I don't think the players hate herman(at least not a significant number) but Meh is sounding like a cancer that might have spread.  something is strange about the Jake Smith deal but i will leave that for another thread.  IMO there would probably be a lot more portal activity if they hated Herman.  Maybe some will come. 

I will suggest that 8-9 regular season wins next year and a return to the Big 12 champ game or very close will keep Herman around.  7 or less probably not. it's kind of how we do things at Texas.   CTJ seems to think otherwise but this reboot usually gets you 2 years assuming you are "seeing" improvement.  Baylor making the champ game and losing to TCU again has to have BMD's blood boiling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Now is your chance

My life goal is to be at the top of the list of worst college football contracts in history, just edging out Charlie Weis and Jimbo. I want to be so bad that I am fired 1 year into my 15 year deal of fully guaranteed money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My life goal is to be at the top of the list of worst college football contracts in history, just edging out Charlie Weis and Jimbo. I want to be so bad that I am fired 1 year into my 15 year deal of fully guaranteed money. 

Hopefully, you will come up with a more creative way to get fired. Besides having your wife bang half of Tallahassee OR growing a massive fupa and being an abusive asshole. If you’re gonna get your ass fired you gotta do something surly worthy. 

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Jimbo says:  Hold my Evan Williams green label.

• Like 1

When the lottery was 440 million I knew the winning numbers and I was right. I didn’t play it cause I didn’t want to risk losing a dollar, but I knew it.

Hey the posts are right there on shaggy for all to see. It’s not like it wasn’t obvious at the time.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Jimbo says:  Hold my Evan Williams green label.

I don't know why everyone bags on the aggy/Jimbo contract.  by the time year 10 comes around 7.5M will be considered a bargain. aggy playing long game again!  one other note, they only seem to think in 10 year multiples.  the next guy will get a 20 year contract.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Offensive analyst Andre Coleman and defensive analyst Jeremiah George will also join the on-field assistants for the bowl game — Coleman will serve as the interim wide receivers coach and George will serve as the interim linebackers coach.

George is interesting. Played at Iowa State when Herman was the OC. He was 1st team All Big 12 in 2013, and drafted in the 5th round. Injuries derailed his pro career, but he could be a guy that gets a permanent gig on the staff.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

.......we jumped at a hot name last time and Fenves was out of his element. It’ll be a different story this time around

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we are too convinced that things and people don't change. We also become married to our predictions.

I don't rule out at all that Herman may very well be going through a painful learning process that could lead to change. He'd had only success or at least improvement prior to this season. This season was a stunning step backward. He has to reflect on that.

He was forced by performance and maybe CDC to jettison the coaching team he hand picked. That must be difficult and humbling.

We read that he changed his attitude in the locker room towards the players as the season continued to unravel. After a miserable first quarter against Tech, something made the team emotionally come together and play hard. I thought they were going to tank, but team leadership and maybe something from Herman brought them back to life. Tech isn't good, but we dominated them after the first quarter like a top ten team is supposed to.

I have no investment in declaring Herman worthless. I was among the positive after last season. I think stories of how people hate a coach are generally slanted to fit the success of a coach. Everybody hates Herman, get rid of him. Everybody hates Saban, let's try to hire him. Again, maybe Herman is humbled. Men change. Men improve.

Herman wants this job and he wants to succeed. Let's see if he adjusts. Writing him off as he is making these changes seems unfair to me. 

You simultaneously tell us to avoid marrying ourselves to generalizations while generalizing the board's behaviors and thinking processes. 

Everything in this post starts with the premise that the person in consideration, Herman, fits into the spectrum of normal personalities. Everything you wrote is legitimate if that is the case. Well and good. I'm going to spoiler the rest of my post because it is long-winded and some might think it's incredibly boring. But the gist of it presents the argument back that "what if the dude isn't part of the normal personality spectrum?". It's an attempt to shed light on why some of us are instinctively writing him off, and some of us proactively and scientifically writing him off.

Spoiler

5+% of the population has a personality disorder - genius, bipolar, narcissistic pd, schizophrenia, hyperbolic, or sociopathy. Many successful people are successful due to a few of these PDs. Specifically, genius, NPD and sociopathy all have assets to them that enable/unlock competitive advantages. For genius, it's seeing the world differently, often dysfunctionally to normal personalities, and not giving one fuck/understanding to give one fuck about how others view it and being so narrowly obsessed and focused on the thing they see versus everyone else that they have to act on it no matter the cost. NPD enables charisma, confidence, enthusiasm, and magnetism. For sociopaths, the lack of a conscience creates unfathomable advantages for the brighter versions, as they're untethered to the values and ethics that moor the rest of us to earth. 

If Herman is a legit NPD, and my amateur ass** thinks he is, then your assumptions are useless. Narcissists aren't born narcissists. They're raised into and become so in puberty. They're usually special in some way to begin with, and then that's excessively reinforced and encouraged (usually by parents, teachers, and peers, but mostly parents) to the point of becoming cemented, and a narcissist emerges. Herman's history shows all of the signs of full-blown narcissism and his time at UT shows a narcissist in its full plumage.

They become convinced that the world really does revolve around them, that they're the smartest person in the room at all times, that the rest of us are all simply game-pieces to them, and that anything good happening is a result of them and anything bad happening is a result of you. Intervening and "changing" them is virtually impossible. They stop learning once they realize that they know everything. That's why narcissists, unless they're actors, models, artists or musicians, tend to flame out and fall from grace in their 40's after early high career achievement. They get passed by peers that keep learning, even if they were originally more intelligent than those peers. 

The only interventions for narcissists that work are either medical in the form of a knowledgeable psychiatrist being invited by the subject to step in, or by a mentor that was superior to the subject in their earlier days in which the superior was so far above the subject that the subject wasn't threatened. So my concern is that the only shot is CDC stepping in and telling Herman that: the problems exist; they're of his creation; and he's going to get help fixing them or he's fucking gone. The risk is that, while that input is needed, Herman is too far gone mentally to value that and learn from it. In essence, if he's a true narcissist, it's a total longshot that he can be fixed by the one guy he knew early in his career who has surpassed him in career performance. Could we really be that lucky?

**Because of a freak circumstance early in my career, I wound up in a situation where our start-up was in uncharted waters in ecommerce and we had to blindly find a way forward with what later become known as "conversion rate optimization" and "persona-based design". So I read a fuckton of psychology books and white papers and behavioral economics books in the hopes of getting to an understanding of why people were clicking, buying and leaving the way they were, because we were simultaneously achieving scale and running quickly out of money and needed more conversions to succeed. A fascinating wrinkle in our data and then fittingly in the literature surrounded 5+% of unexplainable activity. Lo and behold, this wild data set within the greater data set matched up roughly with gen pop percentages for personality disorders. They don't follow any fucking order and you cannot scheme for them or value them. Throw their behaviors out. And they're everywhere. I find them fascinating and I've read over 100 pieces of literature on this shit and still use it daily as part of my career. But no, I am not a professional MD on these matters and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so write this off as nonsense if you wish and that's fair.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1