2020 Coaching Staff

Really excited about the developments with the assistants. I knew he would be humbled by the results this season and would be proactive in getting the best assistants possible to cement his legacy as our next great head coach. Can’t wait for the 2020 season for him to prove the haters wrong. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Haha 1

Really excited about the developments with the assistants. I knew he would be humbled by the results this season and would be proactive in getting the best assistants possible to cement his legacy as our next great head coach. Can’t wait for the 2020 season for him to prove the haters wrong. 

Hi Tom.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wasn’t there a big push by Houston BMD to hire Herman in the first place?  On some level I could understand that - nearly all of us thought he was the next big rising star, too - but I would assume some of those people would have had a level of access to Herman during that process which might have raised red flags. 

Yes we did and then he went all Charlie on us when he got here. He brought in Orlando which I hated at the time because the OU win proved nothing other than receivers were running wide open and got missed and OU beat itself. Tim Beck was a freaking joke and the only excuse left for Tom was that he would pay more attention to detail than Charlie. Well, now we all know that is crock. So what is left? Nothing other than the hope that he is relatively young and can adapt and learn from failure or that he fails big time next year and he is gone.

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wasn’t there a big push by Houston BMD to hire Herman in the first place?  On some level I could understand that - nearly all of us thought he was the next big rising star, too - but I would assume some of those people would have had a level of access to Herman during that process which might have raised red flags.  

Shit, even a lot of us went from pumped about him to basically conceding we were rolling the dice with a narcissist windbag before he even coached a game based on things like his MENSA membership, hearing that embarrassing sports radio debacle he had in Houston, etc.

Did those Houston donors never really interact with him until after he was hired?  Were they new money oil & gas guys who aren’t as, shall we say, buttoned down as some of the other big donors?   Did Herman play nice with them to get hired and then get full of himself and shut them out once he had the job?

I completely get why they don’t like him now.  I’m just curious at this point how he ever got them in his corner at all.

These are great questions, and I don't know the answers. I can't really name who the Houston guys were, either. I remember it all as you do. I will say that due to geographical proximity, I knew Herman better than joe fan and witnessed his behaviors upfront before he was even a candidate at Texas, and therefore I couldn't fucking stand the guy and was disappointed when Texas hired him. I was hoping we'd go after Justin Fuente and look how that's turned out, so what do I know? I'd still take him over Herman, but I get it if others mock that in their head. 

It's funny with Herman though. No matter how anyone felt about him before he signed, we were all hoping for the best when he was hired. He pretty much pissed off chunks of the fanbase before spring drills in 2017 (Casey Horny, ignoring input and a blank check for assistants, ditching Traylor and Wyatt for Mehringer, opting out of glad-handing sessions) and had damn near no honeymoon. Then his arrogant ass hypes up the OL, tells people offline that the team is going to be better than they figured, and then they sprint out and shit the bed to Maryland at home and wind up barely eeeking out 7-6. Strong work. The guy eroded all cushion in his possession by the end of week 1 in year 1. Winning the Sugar Bowl a year later bought him an extra year, I guess, but fucking A this guy has been a goat show.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Shit, even a lot of us went from pumped about him to basically conceding we were rolling the dice with a narcissist windbag before he even coached a game based on things like his MENSA membership, hearing that embarrassing sports radio debacle he had in Houston, etc.

Did those Houston donors never really interact with him until after he was hired?  Were they new money oil & gas guys who aren’t as, shall we say, buttoned down as some of the other big donors?   Did Herman play nice with them to get hired and then get full of himself and shut them out once he had the job?

I completely get why they don’t like him now.  I’m just curious at this point how he ever got them in his corner at all.

It helped we were a complete train wreck with Charlie

there wasn't any real sure thing out there that I can recall

he probably came with a bit of a Mack Brown seal of approval - which meant more after Charlie showed yes you could absolutely do MUCH worse than Mack Brown

Had a lot of recent success as OC at OSU

The problem was we meant to hire Herman and we ended up hiring the entire Houston coaching staff plus a couple of P5  jags

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wow you’re a real soothsayer. Everyone fucking knew he had to make changes, you aren’t special in your predictions. You sound like aggy with your constant Herman boot licking 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's funny with Herman though. No matter how anyone felt about him before he signed, we were all hoping for the best when he was hired. He pretty much pissed off chunks of the fanbase before spring drills in 2017 (Casey Horny, ignoring input and a blank check for assistants, ditching Traylor and Wyatt for Mehringer, opting out of glad-handing sessions) and had damn near no honeymoon.

Exactly this. Besides the other dumbass moves, it's really the hiring decisions which indicate severely sub-Mensa judgment. Lots of hackles were raised in brining in Beck (less so Orlando, IIRC). But Mehringer was derided. And Horny genuinely upset people. These were the kinds of decisions—with the power and checkbook of the UT brand behind him—that helped get him labeled a tone-deaf asshole and clearly led to his precarious current situation. The question is why make them?   I think he made better hires at UH, though within the narrower parameters accorded by that program. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You simultaneously tell us to avoid marrying ourselves to generalizations while generalizing the board's behaviors and thinking processes. 

Just a rhetorical device to avoid the divisiveness which some posters thrive on. I, myself, actually don't fall into the "we" thinking I describe, but I don't care about that distinction in making the overall point. 

I don't think I dismiss persons who can make sound arguments about Herman's fitness. I just don't think those theories are yet proven while I do think a person can change. If he falls in your category of mental illness/disparity, then my little hope about change is, indeed, hopeless.

I don't mind waiting and seeing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Exactly this. Besides the other dumbass moves, it's really the hiring decisions which indicate severely sub-Mensa judgment. Lots of hackles were raised in brining in Beck (less so Orlando, IIRC). But Mehringer was derided. And Horny genuinely upset people. These were the kinds of decisions—with the power and checkbook of the UT brand behind him—that helped get him labeled a tone-deaf asshole and clearly led to his precarious current situation. The question is why make them?   I think he made better hires at UH, though within the narrower parameters accorded by that program. 

If you believe what guys like me believe about him, it's because he simply knows better than you, bro. He's always the smartest guy in the room.

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Shit.

Guess we’re fucked next year. 

Hope I’m wrong. 

39 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You’re a caricature from a TV show. I don’t really watch any TV shows so I don’t know which caricature you are, but it’s hysterical.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

41 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love you Tom. Can't wait to see you at Christmas.

Love,

Mom

36 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

All the people talking about Herman being an asshole and CDC seeing it and it being a factor....didn't CDC work pretty well with one massively sweaty asshole in Fort Worth for a good amount of time (and make no mistake that guy is a grade A sweaty asshole)

His asshole was/is sweaty and massive

On 12/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

For those of us who want to hold out on the sliver of hope that Herman can rehabilitate himself, this is an absolutely necessary scenario. There's not surgery for arrogance quite like hitting rock bottom, and minus an 0-12 season, there is nothing more "rock bottom" than having your designated protégé stab you in the back and undermine what little you are already doing right.

If he's going to turn around, he absolutely needs to come close to bleeding out, and then be grateful for the transfusion.

Yuuuup. 

47 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

All the people talking about Herman being an asshole and CDC seeing it and it being a factor....didn't CDC work pretty well with one massively sweaty asshole in Fort Worth for a good amount of time (and make no mistake that guy is a grade A sweaty asshole)

Said "grade A sweaty asshole" has lost 6 or more games in 5 of the 8 years his team has been in the Big 12 conference.

That includes 3 out of the last 4 years (although CDC was at Texas for the last 2.)

(And these last 4 years came after a couple of 1 and 2 loss seasons, 4 years after TCU moved into the Big 12, so well after seemingly getting over any conference transition related hump.)

So if by work pretty well, you mean they got along, maybe so.  And CDC may well have raised tons of money for the department.  But Patterson's level of success is not something that Texas would find adequate.  By extension, the part CDC played in that, and the things he did, may not be adequate either (or work here).

Not saying he cannot get it done or isn't willing to ... just that what his coach and FB program accomplished at TCU will not be adequate at Texas.  So he may need to make tougher decisions at Texas that he didn't have to at TCU, and that may impact the dynamics with Herman in a manner that didn't manifest itself at TCU.

What typically happens when you try to “manage” or even “micromanage” a raving douche bag asshole who thinks he’s the smartest fucker in the room?

I’ve see what happens to the fuckers here when they just get negged. Usually, they apologize and post responsibly. Uh huh.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

What typically happens when you try to “manage” or even “micromanage” a raving douche bag asshole who thinks he’s the smartest fucker in the room?

I’ve see what happens to the fuckers here when they just get negged. Usually, they apologize and post responsibly. Uh huh.

Out of rep, but this is some funny stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

These are great questions, and I don't know the answers. I can't really name who the Houston guys were, either. I remember it all as you do. I will say that due to geographical proximity, I knew Herman better than joe fan and witnessed his behaviors upfront before he was even a candidate at Texas, and therefore I couldn't fucking stand the guy and was disappointed when Texas hired him. I was hoping we'd go after Justin Fuente and look how that's turned out, so what do I know? I'd still take him over Herman, but I get it if others mock that in their head. 

It's funny with Herman though. No matter how anyone felt about him before he signed, we were all hoping for the best when he was hired. He pretty much pissed off chunks of the fanbase before spring drills in 2017 (Casey Horny, ignoring input and a blank check for assistants, ditching Traylor and Wyatt for Mehringer, opting out of glad-handing sessions) and had damn near no honeymoon. Then his arrogant ass hypes up the OL, tells people offline that the team is going to be better than they figured, and then they sprint out and shit the bed to Maryland at home and wind up barely eeeking out 7-6. Strong work. The guy eroded all cushion in his possession by the end of week 1 in year 1. Winning the Sugar Bowl a year later bought him an extra year, I guess, but fucking A this guy has been a goat show.

In Houston, there is only one booster that truly matters.  Tillman Fertita.  It's his world.  SO perhaps Herman only had to dupe one booster there. 

I think Houston was so interested in keeping Herman because Houston had struggled for relevancy for a while in college football.  As soon as they have gotten a decent coach that coach bolted for greener pastures.  Briles and Sumlin were the first two.  But they never got Houston to the level of competing for elite five star recruits like Ed Oliver or beating national powerhouse Top 10 schools like his victories over OU and FSU.  So IMHO - their hot pursuit of Herman when the rumors started were likely solely the result of how thirsty they were for someone to stay.  It's why Applewhite got a deal with a clause punishing a premature departure financially.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Herman is essentially the white Kevin Sumlin - parlayed a couple of decent UH teams into a job that's too big for him.

I thought Herman was chosen as much for his success at Ohio State, his presumed ability to bring some of those program attributes to Texas, and his own history in the State of Texas, as he was for his success at Houston .... 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Said "grade A sweaty asshole" has lost 6 or more games in 5 of the 8 years his team has been in the Big 12 conference.

That includes 3 out of the last 4 years (although CDC was at Texas for the last 2.)

(And these last 4 years came after a couple of 1 and 2 loss seasons, 4 years after TCU moved into the Big 12, so well after seemingly getting over any conference transition related hump.)

So if by work pretty well, you mean they got along, maybe so.  And CDC may well have raised tons of money for the department.  But Patterson's level of success is not something that Texas would find adequate.  By extension, the part CDC played in that, and the things he did, may not be adequate either (or work here).

Not saying he cannot get it done or isn't willing to ... just that what his coach and FB program accomplished at TCU will not be adequate at Texas.  So he may need to make tougher decisions at Texas that he didn't have to at TCU, and that may impact the dynamics with Herman in a manner that didn't manifest itself at TCU.

You sure read a lot into me just saying that CDC has experience dealing with sweaty assholes and that maybe that doesn't matter much to him if said asshole is meeting expectations (which to your multi-paragraph point do differ from institution to institution)

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I recall rumors of him being a boozehound well before that story blew up, it pre-dated his Texas time.

Iowa State days. I have no idea how valid the rumors were, but they were out there. Alleged co-ed chasing, too, though again, it's all hearsay.

At this point, though, I'm not sure it really matters. The important thing is, he's done some really stupid shit on the football field.

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Iowa State days. I have no idea how valid the rumors were, but they were out there. Alleged co-ed chasing, too, though again, it's all hearsay.

At this point, though, I'm not sure it really matters. The important thing is, he's done some really stupid shit on the football field.

When people from Maryland have t-shirts that say, “Beat Texas. Piece of (crab) cake!” Id say that qualifies as stupid shit on the football field.

i hope Herman gets the crabs. Or the clap. Then I’d know his excessive water bottle fondling would be Bc of antibiotics and other stuff. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

People keep saying this like there is any truth to it, good coaches don't give a shit, they will always be able to find a job.

Also, this is an ego-driven profession and I am reasonably sure that most OC/DC candidates feel like they are just the guy to turn it around.

I like the Harrell idea.  Coaching family, smart guy, knows the game. Has done well at all his stops. I think experience is less important at the coordinator level than the HC level.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Also, this is an ego-driven profession and I am reasonably sure that most OC/DC candidates feel like they are just the guy to turn it around.

I like the Harrell idea.  Coaching family, smart guy, knows the game. Has done well at all his stops. I think experience is less important at the coordinator level than the HC level.

And well, he was coached by the pirate so this has to count for something. I feel like.