2020 Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You simultaneously tell us to avoid marrying ourselves to generalizations while generalizing the board's behaviors and thinking processes. 

Everything in this post starts with the premise that the person in consideration, Herman, fits into the spectrum of normal personalities. Everything you wrote is legitimate if that is the case. Well and good. I'm going to spoiler the rest of my post because it is long-winded and some might think it's incredibly boring. But the gist of it presents the argument back that "what if the dude isn't part of the normal personality spectrum?". It's an attempt to shed light on why some of us are instinctively writing him off, and some of us proactively and scientifically writing him off.

Hide contents

5+% of the population has a personality disorder - genius, bipolar, narcissistic pd, schizophrenia, hyperbolic, or sociopathy. Many successful people are successful due to a few of these PDs. Specifically, genius, NPD and sociopathy all have assets to them that enable/unlock competitive advantages. For genius, it's seeing the world differently, often dysfunctionally to normal personalities, and not giving one fuck/understanding to give one fuck about how others view it and being so narrowly obsessed and focused on the thing they see versus everyone else that they have to act on it no matter the cost. NPD enables charisma, confidence, enthusiasm, and magnetism. For sociopaths, the lack of a conscience creates unfathomable advantages for the brighter versions, as they're untethered to the values and ethics that moor the rest of us to earth. 

If Herman is a legit NPD, and my amateur ass** thinks he is, then your assumptions are useless. Narcissists aren't born narcissists. They're raised into and become so in puberty. They're usually special in some way to begin with, and then that's excessively reinforced and encouraged (usually by parents, teachers, and peers, but mostly parents) to the point of becoming cemented, and a narcissist emerges. Herman's history shows all of the signs of full-blown narcissism and his time at UT shows a narcissist in its full plumage.

They become convinced that the world really does revolve around them, that they're the smartest person in the room at all times, that the rest of us are all simply game-pieces to them, and that anything good happening is a result of them and anything bad happening is a result of you. Intervening and "changing" them is virtually impossible. They stop learning once they realize that they know everything. That's why narcissists, unless they're actors, models, artists or musicians, tend to flame out and fall from grace in their 40's after early high career achievement. They get passed by peers that keep learning, even if they were originally more intelligent than those peers. 

The only interventions for narcissists that work are either medical in the form of a knowledgeable psychiatrist being invited by the subject to step in, or by a mentor that was superior to the subject in their earlier days in which the superior was so far above the subject that the subject wasn't threatened. So my concern is that the only shot is CDC stepping in and telling Herman that: the problems exist; they're of his creation; and he's going to get help fixing them or he's fucking gone. The risk is that, while that input is needed, Herman is too far gone mentally to value that and learn from it. In essence, if he's a true narcissist, it's a total longshot that he can be fixed by the one guy he knew early in his career who has surpassed him in career performance. Could we really be that lucky?

**Because of a freak circumstance early in my career, I wound up in a situation where our start-up was in uncharted waters in ecommerce and we had to blindly find a way forward with what later become known as "conversion rate optimization" and "persona-based design". So I read a fuckton of psychology books and white papers and behavioral economics books in the hopes of getting to an understanding of why people were clicking, buying and leaving the way they were, because we were simultaneously achieving scale and running quickly out of money and needed more conversions to succeed. A fascinating wrinkle in our data and then fittingly in the literature surrounded 5+% of unexplainable activity. Lo and behold, this wild data set within the greater data set matched up roughly with gen pop percentages for personality disorders. They don't follow any fucking order and you cannot scheme for them or value them. Throw their behaviors out. And they're everywhere. I find them fascinating and I've read over 100 pieces of literature on this shit and still use it daily as part of my career. But no, I am not a professional MD on these matters and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so write this off as nonsense if you wish and that's fair.

He could also be a drunk.  Alcoholics manifest a lot of behaviors that fit elsewhere on the DSM-IV and a competent psychologist/psychiatrist generally won't attempt a diagnosis until a person has been abstinent for a while.  If they get sober the right way, a lot of that vanishes.

Frankly, I would imagine that personality disorders are overrepresented in the coaching ranks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He could also be a drunk.  Alcoholics manifest a lot of behaviors that fit elsewhere on the DSM-IV and a competent psychologist/psychiatrist generally won't attempt a diagnosis until a person has been abstinent for a while.  If they get sober the right way, a lot of that vanishes.

Frankly, I would imagine that personality disorders are overrepresented in the coaching ranks.

Good points. 

And for sure they’re overrepresented at the higher levels, similar to executive ranks. I was attempting to reference that, but yeah, my presumption is that the higher levels for sport aren’t different than those in business, which have the studies to go with them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Makes me feel a little better about Chris Ash.  Thanks, Great Stuff @HtownHorn  

Replacing Chris Ash Will Be Urban Meyer's Biggest Challenge Yet at Ohio State

BEN AXELROD.      DECEMBER 7, 2015   AP

COLUMBUS, Ohio — As Ohio State closes the chapter on its national championship defense and looks ahead toward the consolation prize that will be the No. 7 Buckeyes' New Year's Day Fiesta Bowl matchup with No. 8 Notre Dame, Urban Meyer's greatest challenge won't be finding a way to neutralize Fighting Irish star linebacker Jaylon Smith or containing breakout quarterback DeShone Kizer.

Rather, when it comes to the weeks ahead, the fourth-year Ohio State head coach's priority will be finding a suitable replacement for the assistant coach who helped put the Buckeyes in a position to be defending the college football crown in the first place.  With Rutgers officially announcing on Monday that it has hired Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash as its new head coach, Meyer now finds himself having to fill the void left by losing the most valuable assistant on his staff for the second time in as many years. 

The first time came last winter, when offensive coordinator Tom Herman took the Houston head coaching job, a move Ohio State is still adjusting to, as evidenced by Meyer's decision to move new offensive coordinator Ed Warinner to the press box in the Buckeyes' regular season finale against Michigan.  Herman went on to lead the Cougars to an AAC championship and subsequent Peach Bowl appearance. But while Herman has become one of the hottest head coaches in college football, the loss of Ash could ultimately prove to be the more costly of the two for the Ohio State staff.  Because while Meyer has said he "took a chance" on Herman, hiring the unproven up-and-comer as the coordinator of his spread offense in 2012, Ash was a targeted hire, one that Meyer needed to nail to make the Buckeyes a legitimate national title contender.

Despite possessing first-round talents Ryan Shazier and Bradley Roby, Ohio State's passing defense ranked 112th nationally in 2013, an Achilles' heel that cost the Buckeyes' their final two games of the year after a 12-0 start.

0fdb052df31fc404ea15e2ff68aba083_crop_ex

Chris Ash has served as Ohio State's primary defensive coordinator since 2014.  Jay LaPrete/Associated Press 

Enter Ash, who Meyer plucked from Bret Bielema's staff at Arkansas after being impressed with how the then-Wisconsin defensive coordinator limited the Ohio State offense to 97 passing yards in 2012. Upon arriving in Columbus, Ash was charged with overhauling the Buckeyes defense and implementing his more aggressive press quarters scheme in place of a system that had become all too accustomed to giving up big plays.

It didn't take long for Ash's impact to be made apparent.  Even after losing Shazier and Roby to the 2014 NFL draft, Ohio State's pass defense climbed from being ranked 112th to 29th nationally in 2014, allowing 66.9 fewer passing yards per game. That was good enough to get Ohio State through three postseason games against Heisman Trophy finalists from Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon, with a defense that Meyer said was "as good as I've ever seen" by season's end.

Now the three-time national champion head coach must replace the architect behind it—Luke Fickell's status as "defensive coordinator" is more a title than anything else—as the Buckeyes lose Ash to a school within its own division.  "I love Chris Ash. He was an impact hire," Meyer said on Sunday, declining to comment on his new title with the Scarlet Knights until it was official. "One of the best coaches I've ever been around."

Just as Herman did last winter, Ash will remain with Ohio State through its bowl game, but that won't stop Meyer from getting a head start on finding his replacement. As speculated by Bucknuts.com's Dave Biddle, recently fired Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads would certainly make sense and could also fill the void Ash will leave as the Buckeyes' secondary coach.  After that, the names of potential candidates are tougher to decipher—Biddle also mentioned former Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt and Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin—and there's no member of Ohio State's current staff that appears in line for an obvious promotion.

That could ultimately prove to be a positive, as Meyer's decision to promote Warinner and bring in quarterbacks coach Tim Beck following Herman's departure last winter has been met with mixed reviews at best after one year.

Ash's system in Columbus is already in place, but maintaining it could prove to be easier said than done. This season, the Buckeyes defense ranked 12th overall nationally and 12th against the pass, a stark difference from where Ohio State stood just two years ago.  With as many as seven defensive starters expected to head to the NFL after the Fiesta Bowl—including star defensive end and potential No. 1 overall pick Joey Bosa—Meyer will have his work cut out when it comes to keeping his defense at a championship level.

But the most important piece to the Buckeyes defense that he must replace this winter is now headed for Piscataway.

He looks like he might head butt terrific tom repeatedly before each game.   So, he might be an improvement?

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

What typically happens when you try to “manage” or even “micromanage” a raving douche bag asshole who thinks he’s the smartest fucker in the room?

I’ve see what happens to the fuckers here when they just get negged. Usually, they apologize and post responsibly. Uh huh.

i regret that i have but one rep to give

I recall rumors of him being a boozehound well before that story blew up, it pre-dated his Texas time.

A Bobcat coworker said he remembered Washington getting a DWI while coaching at SWT. He thought another coach was in the car but couldn’t remember details. Maybe Herman? I tried some Google Fu but it didn’t return shit.

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

that's got to be a line from something that i don't recognize because the dutch are one of the most if not the most racially and culturally tolerant societies in europe.  Now, don't ask them to make change at any cash register.  That is not possible.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that's got to be a line from something that i don't recognize because the dutch are one of the most if not the most racially and culturally tolerant societies in europe.  Now, don't ask them to make change at any cash register.  That is not possible.

Austin powers baby. 

You fucking guys.

He's autistic. And happens to party.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I like the Harrell idea.  Coaching family, smart guy, knows the game. Has done well at all his stops. I think experience is less important at the coordinator level than the HC level.

Been posting it other threads 24 hours, Team Harrel.  Not only has he done well other stops, it's enough of a radical change that therm has to hand over the keys.  Therm can do shit like manage the strategic situation, consult the stats manual on 4th down and 2-point charts, call time outs, and in general get the fuck out of the way.  GDGD may have sucked wind through a straw but mack let him do it on his own.  Therm says he's innovative, so let's run the RPO and air raid from the same formation with only 1 or max 2 changes from play to play.

Team Harrell.  This is a spread/raid state.  Let's stop fighting it.  Or, at least, let's try it.  Sam can run it.  And save his actual running for crunch time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, 6th Street said:
Second hand info, but I've heard he walks around the facility smelling of liquor and now has a full time driver for when he goes out. 

From who? Exactly.

Mine is second hand, as well, but one of my good buddies has a fraternity brother who works in the AD’s office on the finance side and shares gossip from time to time.  Per that source, it’s widely whispered that Herman has an alcohol problem and has shown up to practice with booze breath.  

I don’t really care as long as he’s not running over co-eds and wins games.  

Mine is second hand, as well, but one of my good buddies has a fraternity brother who works in the AD’s office on the finance side and shares gossip from time to time.  Per that source, it’s widely whispered that Herman has an alcohol problem and has shown up to practice with booze breath.  

What is Herman's handle on here then?

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Great.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Odom seems like he would go back and coach with Fuentes
  • Scalley reportedly said no thanks
  • Lake just became Head Coach at Washington
  • Ash is too much of a comfort hire for Surly
  • Heacock ISU DC is a few of Surly's Hot Choice
  • Steele folks watching flight trackers 
  • Belichick (Steve)  Surly loves great hair

Any more good DC candidates for Texas from all the experts here??   😁 

Phil Snow has killed it at Temple and now Baylor. I doubt either he or Heacock would leave their spots, since they’ve been with their HCs for like 7 or 8 years now, but I’d be good with either. 

• Like 1

If new OC & DC are hired soon, are they able to coordinate bowl practices and coach bowl game?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

You don’t want them involved. Different schemes and plays etc. they just watch and give slight input where possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Iowa State days. I have no idea how valid the rumors were, but they were out there. Alleged co-ed chasing, too, though again, it's all hearsay.

At this point, though, I'm not sure it really matters. The important thing is, he's done some really stupid shit on the football field.

Partying with Larry eustacy no doubt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jeez

A narcissistic, asshole, despised drunk. And all of this happened only after he beat Georgia. What timing.

Winning. I have a feeling before the inevitable demise of the Herman “regime” he will be even more despised than Mack has been on this board. 

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Winning. I have a feeling before the inevitable demise of the Herman “regime” he will be even more despised than Mack has been on this board. 

It may approach it, but for me Mack will always be in the lead.  I blame Mack for causing the downfall that put us on the long road to having this asshole as our coach.  Every year that we suck, no matter who the coach, I hold Mack equally responsible.

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You sure about that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Zwarte Piet[edit]

220px-Two_Zwarte_Piet.jpg

Two Dutch women in costume as Zwarte Piet
Main article: Zwarte Piet

Sinterklaas is assisted by Zwarte Piet ("Black Pete"), a helper dressed in Moorish attire and in blackface. Zwarte Piet first appeared in print as the nameless servant of Saint Nicholas in Sint-Nikolaas en zijn knecht ("St. Nicholas and His Servant/Apprentice"), published in 1850 by Amsterdam schoolteacher Jan Schenkman; however, the tradition appears to date back at least as far as the early 19th Century.[7] Zwarte Piet's colourful dress is based on 16th-century noble attire, with a ruff (lace collar) and a feathered cap. He is typically depicted carrying a bag which contains candy for the children, which they toss around, a tradition supposedly originating in the story of Saint Nicholas saving three young girls from prostitution by tossing golden coins through their window at night to pay their dowries.

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Whhhhooolllleeee lot of judgement in here based on conjecture, speculation, and internet bullshit that may or may not prove to be true from a bunch of alcoholic, narcissistic, assholes 

The Surl has helped make the intertron the pigsty that it is today. Be proud. 

Oh yes, FIFY.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, deech said:

In Houston, there is only one booster that truly matters.  Tillman Fertita.  It's his world.  SO perhaps Herman only had to dupe one booster there. 

I think Houston was so interested in keeping Herman because Houston had struggled for relevancy for a while in college football.  As soon as they have gotten a decent coach that coach bolted for greener pastures.  Briles and Sumlin were the first two.  But they never got Houston to the level of competing for elite five star recruits like Ed Oliver or beating national powerhouse Top 10 schools like his victories over OU and FSU.  So IMHO - their hot pursuit of Herman when the rumors started were likely solely the result of how thirsty they were for someone to stay.  It's why Applewhite got a deal with a clause punishing a premature departure financially.

They were talking about Texas donors who live in Houston, not UH donors. Or maybe you’re joking and went over my head 

29 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

It may approach it, but for me Mack will always be in the lead.  I blame Mack for causing the downfall that put us on the long road to having this asshole as our coach.  Every year that we suck, no matter who the coach, I hold Mack equally responsible.

Good Lord. Good idea. Let's completely ignore the worst coach in the history of Texas football who did more harm in 3 years than perhaps is evenly humanly possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Good Lord. Good idea. Let's completely ignore the worst coach in the history of Texas football who did more harm in 3 years than perhaps is evenly humanly possible.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of who does or doesn't believe, and I don't care, since my opinion can be based on what Ibelieve, but if Mack hadn't dragged things out like a pussy to prevent it (with enabling from Powers), Saban would have been our coach and not Coach Potato.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

However, I find it very hard to believe that Herman would still be employed if it was an open secret that he's a functioning alcoholic, showing up to work under the influence and not being able to go out without a driver.

Think about how ridiculous that is. For one, it's 2019. That would get out. Two, would you expect UT to just tolerate that behavior as the university's most well known representative? Even cynically - would you expect them to tolerate that for $5mm+ annually and 7-6, 10-4, 7-5?

I was thinking the same. Hard to imagine the AD not doing anything about that.

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I try not to blow my rep wad as I recognize for some posters on here it is my only value. Lol. 

Give yourself some credit.

You have far more value to offer than just your rep.

For instance, you could post pics of your tits.

That would add value.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

That line was adapted I believe from a white South African comedian before Mandela was released, and it went like this:

"There are two things I hate about South Africa, apartheid and the blacks" 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Having been a child in Holland, though not Dutch, I can tell you that the Sinterklaas' assistants are not a racist jab or mocked for skin color.

Today's revisionists however coupled w/PC recreationally triggered elements of society want to see racism in everything.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There were whispers of Herman's drinking/partying, during his ISU days specifically, when he was hired here. We all know the Zach Smith strip cub story, so I'm sure there's some truth to the word that the guy likes to drink.

However, I find it very hard to believe that Herman would still be employed if it was an open secret that he's a functioning alcoholic, showing up to work under the influence and not being able to go out without a driver.

Think about how ridiculous that is. For one, it's 2019. That would get out. Two, would you expect UT to just tolerate that behavior as the university's most well known representative? Even cynically - would you expect them to tolerate that for $5mm+ annually and 7-6, 10-4, 7-5?

According to this thread, we're to believe Herman is hated by nearly all, no obe has any real faith in him, the AD has to both force staff changes and actively manage/cover up his alcohol problem, the buyout money is ready, and a solid to exceptional candidate for replacement has been lined up...

And the decision is to keep him around? Lol okay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep. See: Sarkesian

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

There were whispers of Herman's drinking/partying, during his ISU days specifically, when he was hired here. We all know the Zach Smith strip cub story, so I'm sure there's some truth to the word that the guy likes to drink.

According to this thread, we're to believe Herman is hated by nearly all, no obe has any real faith in him, the AD has to both force staff changes and actively manage/cover up his alcohol problem, the buyout money is ready, and a solid to exceptional candidate for replacement has been lined up...

And the decision is to keep him around? Lol okay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do I think he shows up drink to work? No. See: Sarkisian

Do I think the dude likes to drink and party and UT would hire a driver to avoid any potential incidents? Yes. See: Augie 

any idea who the coach was? mehringer? on javonne shepherd taking his name out of the transfer portal

Here is what I heard... from really close to an insider at another program who’s close to several of our players. Supposedly a coach for us **no idea which one** made a racial comment to a player on our team several weeks back and Herman did not discipline the coach. This lead to several issues and recruits getting word and decommitting. I don’t know, but he’s been right several times before.

According to the insider I know...this would be true. This is where a lot of the talk that Herman “lost their locker room”....the comment actually happened in the locker room. Who knows what is true, but it would make sense if it happen but we never want to assume rumor is fact.

Edited by smakashart