2020 Coaching Staff

Do I think he shows up drink to work? No. See: Sarkisian Do I think the dude likes to drink and party and UT would hire a driver to avoid any potential incidents? Yes. See: Augie 

Augie... Herman... Yah, one of those is definitely not like the other.

I tend to agree with gmr's sentiment on a level, especially if everything else on this thread is true.

An asshole HC who people cannot stand to deal with, who can't bring himself to make the hard staff decisions without being told to, who just lost five games, who also happens to be some alcoholic wildcard.... that's a lot of frustration and babysitting for seven wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

An asshole HC who people cannot stand to deal with, who can't bring himself to make the hard staff decisions without being told to, who just lost five games, who also happens to be some alcoholic wildcard.... that's a lot of frustration and babysitting for seven wins.

Which brings us back to the salient point:

Absent covering up rape, etc., he could be W.C. Fields level drunk for all we care, provided he was winning.

Been posting it other threads 24 hours, Team Harrel.  Not only has he done well other stops, it's enough of a radical change that therm has to hand over the keys.  Therm can do shit like manage the strategic situation, consult the stats manual on 4th down and 2-point charts, call time outs, and in general get the fuck out of the way.  GDGD may have sucked wind through a straw but mack let him do it on his own.  Therm says he's innovative, so let's run the RPO and air raid from the same formation with only 1 or max 2 changes from play to play.
Team Harrell.  This is a spread/raid state.  Let's stop fighting it.  Or, at least, let's try it.  Sam can run it.  And save his actual running for crunch time.

Didn’t gdgd avg 50 ppg one season? He wasn’t dog shit, he was too rigid in his ways.

My same concern with the idea that we need to run any particular kind of system. The players are more static than the system, therefore the system needs to play to the strengths of the players each year, on both sides of the ball. That needs to be change number 1.

Change number 2 needs to be Herman hires a real analyst to redo his binder, probably to sit in the booth and give him real time analytical advice on when to be aggressive vs conservative.

It would be very nice if our offensive game plan wasn’t to get to “manageable 3rd Downs” but instead was to never see third down bc we convert on first and second downs, maybe run when they expect pass and pass when they expect run, things like that

Run on first, bubble screen on second, fail to convert on third, and punt on fourth that is our current system and it is reminiscent of gdgd’s worst days here

21 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Run on first, bubble screen on second, fail to convert on third, and punt on fourth that is our current system and it is reminiscent of gdgd’s worst days here

That was his offense on iit's best days as well. There were just other-worldly athletes that could make off-schedule plays despite the playbooks and play caller's ineptitude.

11 hours ago, deech said:

In Houston, there is only one booster that truly matters.  Tillman Fertita.  It's his world.  SO perhaps Herman only had to dupe one booster there. 

I think Houston was so interested in keeping Herman because Houston had struggled for relevancy for a while in college football.  As soon as they have gotten a decent coach that coach bolted for greener pastures.  Briles and Sumlin were the first two.  But they never got Houston to the level of competing for elite five star recruits like Ed Oliver or beating national powerhouse Top 10 schools like his victories over OU and FSU.  So IMHO - their hot pursuit of Herman when the rumors started were likely solely the result of how thirsty they were for someone to stay.  It's why Applewhite got a deal with a clause punishing a premature departure financially.

I believe Ed Oliver is the only 5* recruit in the history of recruiting rankings (ok, like the last 15 years worth) to not go to a P5 school. They are not going to suddenly start competing for 5* recruits no matter who their coach is. 

10 hours ago, thestud said:

Y’all need to get off this Sonny Cumbie 2.0!kick because Harrell ain’t the answer. Steve Addazio has the hardware. Go get that motherfucker.

stop picking names out of a hat unless you can give us some solid schematic reasons why Texas should hire Addazio.

His teams were not known for some amazing offenses (in 2014 and 2015 they finished at #126 of 130 in OFEI) - basically outside of this year, where they are #32, he never had a team in the top 80. He was an OC under Urban Meyer in 2009-2010 but we all know it was Meyers offense. He was also an OC in 2004 at Indiana but that was so long ago I am not even sure it is relevant.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Didn’t gdgd avg 50 ppg one season? He wasn’t dog shit, he was too rigid in his ways.

My same concern with the idea that we need to run any particular kind of system. The players are more static than the system, therefore the system needs to play to the strengths of the players each year, on both sides of the ball. That needs to be change number 1.

Change number 2 needs to be Herman hires a real analyst to redo his binder, probably to sit in the booth and give him real time analytical advice on when to be aggressive vs conservative.

It would be very nice if our offensive game plan wasn’t to get to “manageable 3rd Downs” but instead was to never see third down bc we convert on first and second downs, maybe run when they expect pass and pass when they expect run, things like that

Run on first, bubble screen on second, fail to up his ass convert on third, and punt on fourth that is our current system and it is reminiscent of gdgd’s worst days here

No....herman needs to shove that binder up his ass.  Play to win.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thestud said:

It’s not my fucking job to convince you. Look him up your fucking self you menstruating twat. He won two NC’s at Florida, one as OC but both as OL and AHC. What has been one of our bigger glaring weaknesses in recent years? Shitty OL play. He had the wherewithal to snatch up a young assistant by the name of Ryan Day and make him his OC at two different stops. Day appears to be working out rather decent in his own right.

He prefers to run the ball and pound it out. I like that idea a hell of a lot more than hiring a Mike Leach lackey to come in and throw the ball all over the field for 60 attempts a game. The air raid doesn’t win championships.

I know of another coach that won 2 titles at  Florida as coordinator that is currently available. And LMAO at trying to use a run first ball control offense in the fucking Big12

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, thestud said:

It’s not my fucking job to convince you. Look him up your fucking self you menstruating twat. He won two NC’s at Florida, one as OC but both as OL and AHC. What has been one of our bigger glaring weaknesses in recent years? Shitty OL play. He had the wherewithal to snatch up a young assistant by the name of Ryan Day and make him his OC at two different stops. Day appears to be working out rather decent in his own right.

He prefers to run the ball and pound it out. I like that idea a hell of a lot more than hiring a Mike Leach lackey to come in and throw the ball all over the field for 60 attempts a game. The air raid doesn’t win championships.

alright alex trebek GIF by Jeopardy!

1) his offenses at BC were actually fucking terrible. he was an OC in name only with Urban Meyer running the show

2) just because someone has a National Championship ring as a coordinator doesn't mean shit. Greg Davis has a ring as a coordinator and a Broyles award to go with it. 

3)  At least Chris Ash has had success in the recent past as a coordinator, at a high level. Addazio's entire tenure as an OC follows:

• 2004, Indiana
  • 2009, Florida (UM offense)
  • 2010, Florida (UM offense)

You are right in that he has coached OLs before (bringing him in would likely lead to Hand leaving btw, having 2 OC/OL coaches is as dumb as that 7/4 coaching split Texas had last year) and yes, he hired Ryan Day. 

4) "running the ball and pounding it out" isn't what wins championships either in 2019, be it at the College or NFL level.

5) "throwing it 60 attempts a game" isn't what Harrell's offense does.

USC's passing attempts this year per game: 42, 33, 34, 32, 32, 35, 30, 44, 57 (they were behind 28-17 at the half, 42-17 after 3), 45, 35, 47. All in all their QBs had 15 more attempts than Texas had this year. Also Harrell doesn't run a true Leach style air raid in the way you are thinking:

I get where you are coming from but at least try to sell the scheme or the concept beyond "he has a ring" and "he hired Ryan Day" - because the OC at Texas needs to have a better resume than that. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, thestud said:

This has to be a troll job or Steve Adazzio’s daughter. I refuse to believe you are actually this incomprehensibly stupid. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, El Squared said:

Having been a child in Holland, though not Dutch, I can tell you that the Sinterklaas' assistants are not a racist jab or mocked for skin color.

Today's revisionists however coupled w/PC recreationally triggered elements of society want to see racism in everything.

absolutely this. 

its much more a distinction of geography than race

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is a dumb comment. Have you looked at the standings?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is a difference between having a balanced offense that leans on the run like OU and the three yards and cloud of dust stone age offense.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 hour ago, thestud said:

You’re not getting the job, Steve.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

OU runs more than they pass.

You are a fine and entertaining poster usually, but this is a disingenuous take in context. They run the ball more than they pass, but they are not a ground & pound offense and the difference between what Adazzio puts out as a playcaller versus OU is so vast of a gap that it isn't worth the intellectual sweat to discuss it.

44 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

absolutely this. 

its much more a distinction of geography than race

The original quote was a classic line from one of the Austin Powers movies. It was meant to be absurd at the time. The first and second movies are fucking great and there are many pop cultural references built off of the content from them. You guys should check them out the next time you want to laugh if you haven't seen them.

Edited by closetojumping

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

this dude is my least favorite former player. Watching him give post game pressers after we shit the bed against middling conference teams and show zero giveafuck was infuriating.

He has a weird nostalgic streak in him. He loooooves Mack just as much as he loooooves the Eagles, who he started 2 games for over 2 years in 2013-2014, before retiring. I used to enjoy the twitter account until he started becoming a sports "persona" and actually had opinions on things.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They run the ball more than they pass, but they are not a ground & pound offense and the difference between what Adazzio puts out as a playcaller versus OU is so vast of a gap that it isn't worth the intellectual sweat to discuss it.

I’m definitely not advocating for Adazzio’s style of offense. However, I am tired of the rhetoric on this board acting like the Big XII is some air raid controlled beast of a conference. I’ve yet to see an air raid team accomplish anything except mimic the aggy roller coaster. The run heavy, or balanced, offense has proven very important when it comes to winning championships.

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There were whispers of Herman's drinking/partying, during his ISU days specifically, when he was hired here. We all know the Zach Smith strip cub story, so I'm sure there's some truth to the word that the guy likes to drink.

However, I find it very hard to believe that Herman would still be employed if it was an open secret that he's a functioning alcoholic, showing up to work under the influence and not being able to go out without a driver.

Think about how ridiculous that is. For one, it's 2019. That would get out. Two, would you expect UT to just tolerate that behavior as the university's most well known representative? Even cynically - would you expect them to tolerate that for $5mm+ annually and 7-6, 10-4, 7-5?

According to this thread, we're to believe Herman is hated by nearly all, no obe has any real faith in him, the AD has to both force staff changes and actively manage/cover up his alcohol problem, the buyout money is ready, and a solid to exceptional candidate for replacement has been lined up...

And the decision is to keep him around? Lol okay.

Quoting this so it stays current as this thread continues to descend into madness.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m definitely not advocating for Adazzio’s style of offense. However, I am tired of the rhetoric on this board acting like the Big XII is some air raid controlled beast of a conference. I’ve yet to see an air raid team accomplish anything except mimic the aggy roller coaster. The run heavy, or balanced, offense has proven very important when it comes to winning championships.

You like Adazzio. I get it. You must live in Austin. "Adazzio", I like the way that sounds. Say it like the girl in your avatar would say it - like the Palazio girls on the radio.

Edited by Bevo

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You like Adazzio. I get it. You must live in Austin. "Adazzio", I like the way that sounds. Say it like the girl in your avatar would say it - like the Palazio girls on the radio.

Well, I do like Italian women. Maybe you’re correct? 

If Texas hired Adazzio I’d laugh my ass of at the expedited sinking of the Hermanic.

Offenses in the B12 are all decently balanced.

OkSt was a 60/40 run-heavy team.

Iowa State was 45/55.

Oklahoma was 40/60.  Pass-heavy, but not extremely so.

It's also becoming a false dichomoty with increasing option-calls and screens.  I saw an ESPN stat that some team lead the nation in "drop back" passes at only 35%.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

It's also becoming a false dichomoty with increasing option-calls and screens.  I saw an ESPN stat that some team lead the nation in "drop back" passes at only 35%.

Kind of an interesting dynamic with a possible "Air Raid" OC at Texas, too, given the worries some folk have about the QB room not being designed for that scheme. Thing is, that scheme isn't the same as it used to be -- pinpoint accuracy is still great, but "accurate enough" also works, if the QB is a threat to run, also. Still have to be at last Sam Ehlinger accurate, because Tebow accurate isn't good enough. But Ehlinger accurate didn't used to be good enough, either.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Waiting for the leaking of a shitty sideways-filmed video of someone who might be Herman hollering out for Beck while staggering through a hotel lobby supported by two buddies.

Dude. Don't be fucking absurd. We all know it would be Mehringer, or at the very least Wareheim, not fucking Tim Beck. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dude. Don't be fucking absurd. We all know it would be Mehringer, or at the very least Wareheim, not fucking Tim Beck. 

Tim Beck is the Mike Pence in this deal. (No CR). Doesn't drink, want to be left alone with women, wraps himself in God Squad etc etc.

Would definitely be Meh & Wareheim propping Herman up.

Oh is rapelor run first now?
Depends on how you define that, but they run more than they pass and their passing game doesn't scare anyone. They're certainly not slinging it at air raid levels of quality or quantity.

B12 top 5:

OU
Baylor
Texas
OSU
KSU

Four teams that rely on the run significantly more than the pass, and one with no offensive identity/cohesion. That said, we all know Herman is a run first guy because he runs first, and second, almost every time he has the ball. OU has put a stranglehold on this league because of its dominant run game under Riley. Part of why their defense is better this year is because they're holding the ball longer. Texas went to the title game last year with an offense predicated on ball control, sometimes to a fault.

But sure, y'all go on believing you can't win in this league with a run first or ball control approach.

• Like 2

There is a difference between having a balanced offense that leans on the run like OU and the three yards and cloud of dust stone age offense.

OU's offense is balanced in the sense that they're good in both the run game in the passing game. It's not balanced in terms of philosophy. It's a fuckton of running and screens, which are basically runs, with some downfield shots to their absurdly talented WRs.

No, Addizao's antiquated brand of offense wouldn't work. That's because it's schematically simple to defend and very few prospects come up in similar systems. It's not an issue of run first, ball control philosophy though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

OU's offense is balanced in the sense that they're good in both the run game in the passing game. It's not balanced in terms of philosophy. It's a fuckton of running and screens, which are basically runs, with some downfield shots to their absurdly talented WRs.

No, Addizao's antiquated brand of offense wouldn't work. That's because it's schematically simple to defend and very few prospects come up in similar systems. It's not an issue of run first, ball control philosophy though.

Correct. You need to run sets and formations that you can BOTH run and pass from to be successful in today's CFB.

• Like 1

It's a lot of modern option-ball.  Like I said above run/pass isn't a fair breakdown any more.

OU's favorite plays are QB Counter Option-Bash Z-Post and Inverted Veer with some playside passing options (RB-bubble, X-Slant).  Neither is strictly run or pass.

Post-Mayfield they hardly ever simply dropback to pass.  Those two QBs aren't built to do that.

• Like 3

Correct. You need to run sets and formations that you can BOTH run and pass from to be successful in today's CFB.
It's a lot of modern option-ball.  Like I said above run/pass isn't a fair breakdown any more.
OU's favorite plays are QB Counter Option-Bash Z-Post and Inverted Veer with some playside passing options (RB-bubble, X-Slant).  Neither is strictly run or pass.
Post-Mayfield they hardly ever simply dropback to pass.  Those two QBs aren't built to do that.

These are both fair points. Creativity and creating assignment conflict on defense are more important than typical run/pass balance.