2020 Coaching Staff

30 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Here’s a new name I haven’t seen brought up yet

Admittedly i know nothing about DeBoer other than what I just read on his wiki - but the Indiana offense was pretty good and DeBoer won several titles as a NAIA head coach.  So he's got that going for him - which is nice.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

These are both fair points. Creativity and creating assignment conflict on defense are more important than typical run/pass balance.

This is exactly what Lincoln does so well.  He's got a dozen or so variations to each play from a handful of basic plays.  Which defender to read, what the passing option is, how he sets the formation (inline TE vs H-Back).  Simple stuff for the offense becomes increasingly complicated for the defense.

He doesn't put plays back in his pocket.  He's got a way it will work for however you choose to defend.

Edited by JBJ

DeBoer's S&P+ Offense stuff (the 2019 SP+ ESPN stuff might have a slightly different formula). This is all assuming he actually ran the offense. 

2013 Eastern Michigan (year before he got there): 109

2014 Eastern Michigan: 118

2015 Eastern Michigan: 90

2016 Eastern Michigan: 72

2017 Eastern Michigan (year after he left): 107

2016 Fresno State (year before he got there): 72

2017 Fresno State: 106

2018 Fresno State: 37

2019 Fresno State (year after he left): 47

2018 Indiana (year before he got there): 55

2019 Indiana: 14

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll take Harrell, with the clause in his contract that if he mentions Michael Crabtree or the 2008 game he forfeits all salary.

Im in your boat, but I’d rather him just agree to a one time ass beating and he can then talk all he wants with the caveat that he admits that the refs forgot how to call holding. 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

This is the first time I haven’t been excited about a coordinator reshuffle. When Mack did it was probably the most exciting time. When Charlie did it I was foolishly hopeful that it would succeed and drank the koolaid. This time I know we’re just delaying the inevitable and it’s depressing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jet black said:

This is the first time I haven’t been excited about a coordinator reshuffle. When Mack did it was probably the most exciting time. When Charlie did it I was foolishly hopeful that it would succeed and drank the koolaid. This time I know we’re just delaying the inevitable and it’s depressing.

The 7 stages of grief
  • Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
  • Pain and guilt. ...
  • Anger and bargaining. ...
  • Depression. ...
  • The upward turn. ...
  • Reconstruction and working through. ...
  • Acceptance and hope.

1 minute ago, jet black said:

cool. now that this point has been made roughly 75 times on this thread alone, can we refrain from posts that are nothing but pussy-wringing? Yes, this is depressing. You don't have confidence Herman will do the right thing. We get it. 

• Like 3

The purest form of the Air Raid is only run in Pullman currently. Most of Leach's disciples have moved on to RPOs, but with the same route trees. Also, most of his disciples have also moved more towards a balance of run and pass. I look at OU's offense and want that, giant holes for the RBs to run through due to the defense taking false steps and being outnumbered play side. Riley has also always had a DT QB since he's been at OU, which lines up nicely with Thompson, Johnson, Card, Jackson, and Milroe all in the pipeline after Sam.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Diamonds-family-guy-39997504-225-159.gif

52 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

What the heck.?  They cut it off just as she's bending over for the obligatory blowjob.

I remember listening to the audio commentary and Seth was saying they had to go back and forth with the censors to find out how low they were allowed to have her head go down.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Urban is savvy. He's not going to follow Riley or Saban or Dabo.

He's going to follow Helton or Herman or Zook or Tressel's ruins.

Riley doesn't belong in the same sentence as Saban or Dabo. It's not like he's following a legend that has won multiple national championships. He'd be following a guy that coached transfer QBs extremely well, lost one game he shouldn't have every year, and got whipped in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, jet black said:

Then we're golden!

You were excited the first two times, and it turned out to suck. You're cynical this time. So reserve those tickets for the CFP next year, baby!

• Like 2

I took a holiday from Texas football after the TCU game when it became apparent that this season was heading down the crapper fast. Since then I have been anxiously awaiting the coaching reckoning which I knew was coming. Since the conclusion of this disastrous season I have formed these mostly unassailable opinions:

• The Texas staff did the worst coaching job this season in the conference, perhaps the entire country.
  • CDC had a hand ensuring that the coaching reckoning we were waiting for happened quickly after the conclusion of the season. It isn’t finished by a longshot, but at least it is underway
  • As of today, no one really knows what the fuck is going to happen next year and into the future. Me…I give this no better or no worse than a 50/50 shot to get back on track as of today.

So with popcorn in hand, looking forward to sitting back and watching this show, which quite frankly will be the only interesting thing coming out of this season. No matter what happens and how much invective is spewed over the hires in the coming days, I believe we will know how this ends by the time the last second ticks off the clock at the Cotton Bowl in October 2020. And so will CDC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I know someone else had mentioned it earlier in the thread - but I'd love to see Texas hire Frank Okam away from Baylor and put him in charge of the DT's and move Giles to a DE/OLB coach.  We need to balance out the Offense/Defense staffs and Okam would be a good hire for this new defensive staff. 

I think Okam would be a home run for a lot of reasons if Herman is smart enough to pull that trigger - he would have an amazing pitch to parents based on his own status as a super high achiever in football and academics. 

Maybe someone could explain this, but it seems like there have been reports of us going with a spread offense many times over the last few years. Strong said he was changing to one in 2015 but I never saw it.  Sterlin Gilbert came in and ran a Veer and Shoot version in 2016, and now Tom has his "pro spread"  Maybe it's just that our QB play has been so dismal and our OCs sucked, but I have yet to see what I think of as a spread offense. The kind that Tech and Baylor have destroyed us with. Or the kind that Oklahoma State seems to have no trouble finding a new QB to run every year. It doesn't seem to matter who we have or what kind of offense they purport to be running it still looks the same. All we get are screens, and desperate bombs down the sidelines. I see nothing across the middle. If we go no huddle it's not ran consistently. And of course we see no wide open receivers like OU has on every play. Have we ever really run a pure spread offense? If Graham Harrell does come in will he be allowed to run the Air Raid? Or will Tom want some kind of mutated version of his inept scheme. If Harrell is not going to run his offense, what possible reason would there be to bring him in?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loather said:

Maybe someone could explain this, but it seems like there have been reports of us going with a spread offense many times over the last few years. Strong said he was changing to one in 2015 but I never saw it.  Sterlin Gilbert came in and ran a Veer and Shoot version in 2016, and now Tom has his "pro spread"  Maybe it's just that our QB play has been so dismal and our OCs sucked, but I have yet to see what I think of as a spread offense. The kind that Tech and Baylor have destroyed us with. Or the kind that Oklahoma State seems to have no trouble finding a new QB to run every year. It doesn't seem to matter who we have or what kind of offense they purport to be running it still looks the same. All we get are screens, and desperate bombs down the sidelines. I see nothing across the middle. If we go no huddle it's not ran consistently. And of course we see no wide open receivers like OU has on every play. Have we ever really run a pure spread offense? If Graham Harrell does come in will he be allowed to run the Air Raid? Or will Tom want some kind of mutated version of his inept scheme. If Harrell is not going to run his offense, what possible reason would there be to bring him in?

The term "spread offense" is essentially meaningless at this point. We run a spread offense. So does Mike Leach. So does Art Briles. Those three offenses are each vastly different from each other. So you'll have to be more specific.

Mike Leach runs an Air Raid. Art Briles and Sterlin Gilbert ran a Veer and Shoot. So really we did (try to) run the offense that Baylor beat us with. The fact we haven't run any offense really well in the last several seasons doesn't mean we aren't a spread offense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Loather said:

Tom’s scheme is not inept. Tom and his staff have been inept. Sam has always struggled throwing over the middle and so did Shane when Giblets was here.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Tom’s scheme is not inept. Tom and his staff have been inept. Sam has always struggled throwing over the middle and so did Shane when Giblets was here.

This.  the talent is here on campus - we didn't/don't have the coaches who can develop it.   If Herman can hire a legitimate staff of proven coaches - this could turn around quickly.  He's got the backing and cash from his AD to do it - can he keep his own ego in check?