2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

9 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

So really it will be a nickel over front with press man quarters behind, and stay pretty bland until 3rd down. He’ll be asking a lot of our safeties to correctly read and crash down on the run or help in pass coverage. 

We have the personnel to run this thought the LB’s will be young, and we’ll probably need to bring in a transfer for insurance. 

When was the last time we had safety's who could correctly read? We've had some talented players come in but for whatever reasons.. they keep looking at each other in the EZ when a wide open catch is made for a TD

7 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm dubious regarding your premise that basic, fundamentally solid defenses are more likely to get torn apart by creative OCs. A fundamentally solid defense deploying defenders who understand their job and their reads is perfectly capable of limiting Riley and the ilk if the players execute. 

Good defense is rarely the product of tricking the offense/OC. 

That’s not my premise, and I’m not saying we need a DC who can trick offenses. .

He plays a lot of quarters, which is basically a pattern matching, man concept. It often leaves safeties and corners down field 1 on 1 without much help. Good OCs will know the matchups they can exploit and how we’ll respond to most of their formations. Our DBs will have to drastically improve playing the ball in the air right away.  He also asks a ton of the safeties when it comes to reading run vs. pass and teams that use RPOs/PA will be putting our safeties in a ton of conflict to read the play correctly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s not my premise, and I’m not saying we need a DC who can trick offenses. .

He plays a lot of quarters, which is basically a pattern matching, man concept. It often leaves safeties and corners down field 1 on 1 without much help. Good OCs will know the matchups they can exploit and how we’ll respond to most of their formations. Our DBs will have to drastically improve playing the ball in the air right away.  He also asks a ton of the safeties when it comes to reading run vs. pass and teams that use RPOs/PA will be putting our safeties in a ton of conflict to read the play correctly. 

in other words.. no cash for ash? pass?

8 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm dubious regarding your premise that basic, fundamentally solid defenses are more likely to get torn apart by creative OCs. A fundamentally solid defense deploying defenders who understand their job and their reads is perfectly capable of limiting Riley and the ilk if the players execute. 

Good defense is rarely the product of tricking the offense/OC. 

This is correct.

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Isn't that the point of this - development above all else.  Whoever the next OC/DC are - if they can't develop the talent already on campus then we'll be doing this all over again in 2020. 

At which point Petersen will bring in a staff that can develop players.

20 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I think our pass rush will be fine once the defensive line is actually allowed to rush the passer.

Yup. Tech isn't a good team, but switching to 4 down and allowing them to rush was kind of a glimpse of the future. Will be nice not to see Ossai dropping back to cover nearly as frequently. 

I think our pass rush will be fine once the defensive line is actually allowed to rush the passer.

It would be better than this year just by not relying on DB blitzes from 5-10 yards off the LOS, but that is a low bar. Texas doesn't have a game breaking pass rusher though, which means consistent pressure will be a struggle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I don't know too much about Ash so I'm taking Howe's input that he runs a 4-3 over defense that relies on quick twitching LBs..  Something that we seem to lack.

If you are interested in a technical breakdown on Ash and his defense, Rod Babers does a decent job here....  

Starts around 9:40 mark...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It would be better than this year just by not relying on DB blitzes from 5-10 yards off the LOS, but that is a low bar. Texas doesn't have a game breaking pass rusher though, which means consistent pressure will be a struggle.

Honestly, I don't think we know what we have, DL wasn't really utilized as pass rushers. Roach was a very good pass rusher under Strong from what I recall.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think Ossai and Bimage both have the physical traits to be high level pass-rushers.   Will the next DC turn them loose?

Honestly, I don't think we know what we have, DL wasn't really utilized as pass rushers. Roach was a very good pass rusher under Strong from what I recall.

I feel Graham showed he might be a candidate to break out next year in the Tech game. Seems he didn’t get a lot of snaps this year, but that could be due to not being effective throughout the year.

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don’t know if it was IT or whoever, but they argued that the reason Bedford/Orlando were so successful in their first season in the Big 12 is because they had veteran players running a simplified scheme. Once Bedford/Orlando started to complicate their schemes they had their own players more confused than opposing OC’s.  

Thanks. This pattern has been bugging me. Diaz, Bedford/Strong, Orlando. all had lights out defenses their first year, that worsened the second year, and were historically bad the third year. It's perplexing. Perhaps Diaz had more to do with being matched with Akina and the softness of Mack.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sounds like he'll need a DB coach with a proven record of turning out stud DBs that excel in man coverage.....I might know a guy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Thanks. This pattern has been bugging me. Diaz, Bedford/Strong, Orlando. all had lights out defenses their first year, that worsened the second year, and were historically bad the third year. It's perplexing. Perhaps Diaz had more to do with being matched with Akina and the softness of Mack.

Definitely true about Orlando, don't recall that Bedford's scheme was that complex, but he did have player and coach turnover.  And the coach replacements were downgrades.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It just occurred to me in reading this that Orlando played out the fantasies of so many Internet dipshits from 1999-2002 by playing Ossai at LB and in coverage constantly. It’s the fulfillment of the “Corey Redding to Linebacker” contingent’s wet dream.

ok boomer

• Like 2

Just now, Fozzz said:

Why not just nab Heacock and run his inverted Tampa-2?  The shit works in the Big 12.  Why make this more complicated than it needs to be?

That was my thought as well.   I know some posters have said they didn't think he'd leave Iowa St - but I'm not sure why not.  He's not an Iowa St lifer or alum.  We can/will easily double his Iowa St salary.  Yes he followed Matt Campbell there - but they were only together for a couple of years at Toledo - so its not like his career is tied to Campbell.

If Scalley has already told us 'no' - I'd move on to Heacock and see if he's receptive to the idea of moving to Austin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That was my thought as well.   I know some posters have said they didn't think he'd leave Iowa St - but I'm not sure why not.  He's not an Iowa St lifer or alum.  We can/will easily double his Iowa St salary.  Yes he followed Matt Campbell there - but they were only together for a couple of years at Toledo - so its not like his career is tied to Campbell.

If Scalley has already told us 'no' - I'd move on to Heacock and see if he's receptive to the idea of moving to Austin.

I think that was @SydneyCarton that said that and he was talking out of his ass. He’s generally best just being dismissed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

Didn't Clay Jennings come in and torpedo our secondary? There was some sort of Diaz/Akina-level disconnect there.

Over the last decade, the three position coaches that I was most excited to snag were Wickline, Jennings, and Drayton.  Nice reminder that my initial emotions about whoever we hire cannot be trusted. 

• Like 3

Campbell is going to get a big job in the next couple of years and will probably take him with him.  That's more certainty than going to Texas for a year and then needing a new job when Herman gets fired next year.  Then there's the whole working for an asshole thing.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Over the last decade, the three position coaches that I was most excited to snag were Wickline, Jennings, and Drayton.  Nice reminder that my initial emotions about whoever we hire cannot be trusted. 

It says something about HC bringing these guys in, as well. Wickline didn't forget how to coach OL when he came to Texas. Frankly, I don't know what to make of Herman's ability to manage and recruit a staff that is helpful and productive. As of right now, he looks comically inept at every part of it. I didn't think he was that dreadful when he was at UH. It really is fucking amazing how terribly he assembled his staff at Texas. 

Just now, kevwun said:

Campbell is going to get a big job in the next couple of years and will probably take him with him.  That's more certainty than going to Texas for a year and then needing a new job when Herman gets fired next year.

Why are you so certain he's going to be fired next year?  Outside of WR, Texas should be in good shape from a personnel standpoint.  The cupboard is hardly bare.  

30 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I feel Graham showed he might be a candidate to break out next year in the Tech game. Seems he didn’t get a lot of snaps this year, but that could be due to not being effective throughout the year.

Lol. He had one sack where he was unblocked after doing basically nothing all year. 

58 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Isn't that the point of this - development above all else.  Whoever the next OC/DC are - if they can't develop the talent already on campus then we'll be doing this all over again in 2020. 

At which point Petersen will bring in a staff that can develop players.

Obviously, the point is to find someone who can develop, but to say that if a DC can develop, then his scheme will work is kind of a no shit proposition.

Ash’s scheme puts a larger onus on development because of how much he asks of certain positions in 1 on 1 situations and run-pass conflicts. Someone like Heacock protects his players more through the scheme.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

in other words.. no cash for ash? pass?

He wouldn’t be my first choice but I also don’t think he’s a Beck or Watson level known failure immediately. And like I said before, I’d be less against him if the Herman comfort hire factor weren’t at play. I also don’t like that he seems a lot like Herman in that people don’t seem to like the guy from a personality standpoint. At some point, we need some coaches who can connect with their players on a personal level. 

Heacock and Phil Snow would be at or close to the top of my list, but both have been with their HCs for 7+ years and are in very stable positions with potential upward mobility in their HCs. Not sure either would leave that. Maybe we could money whip Heacock. I like what Steele’s done at Auburn a lot. His mixed history makes him a little more complicated, but I’d want him ahead of Ash.

Idk if any of Lake, Scalley, or Avalos were ever possible, but they’d be interesting.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Campbell is going to get a big job in the next couple of years and will probably take him with him.  That's more certainty than going to Texas for a year and then needing a new job when Herman gets fired next year.  Then there's the whole working for an asshole thing.

Fuck, who knows, maybe Campbell and Heacock come to Texas together or something.

• Like 2

If Herman hires Harrell and Texas makes it back to the B12 Championship Game in 2020, won't be surprised to see Graham consider leaving for a Head Coaching job at a mid-major or Tech. 

When a team gets a good hotshot OC, they tend to only stick around for a couple years.

(Crazy how Dabo has kept his staff intact )

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why are you so certain he's going to be fired next year?  Outside of WR, Texas should be in good shape from a personnel standpoint.  The cupboard is hardly bare.  

I have no faith in his ability to put together a competent staff.  The Mehringer situation is enough to justify firing him by itself.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wish CDC and Texas had a new Head Coach lined up for 2020 so Herman was fired immediately after the Tech game.  

Nobody likes this asshole, and allowing him a 2nd chance to screw up hiring a new Staff for the Texas Football program seems like the definition of insanity!!

This is absurd.  

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Herman hires Harrell and Texas makes it back to the B12 Championship Game in 2020, won't be surprised to see Graham consider leaving for a Head Coaching job at a mid-major or Tech.

Why can’t there be a clause in the contract that says “if you leave before two years, you owe us $X”?

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

When a team gets a good hotshot OC, they tend to only stick around for a couple years.

If Texas is doing so well that coaches are leaving for better jobs - that would be fantastic.  I have no problem cycling through OC's every two years if its because they are getting HC jobs.  Thats a hardship I can accept.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If we could only be so lucky to have this problem.

How many years has it been since a coordinator at Texas left because they got a promotion? Was Harsin the last one?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

If Harrell is here and has a kick ass year one, he's not going to take a North Texas or Tulsa job.  He's gonna wait out for a bigger school, mainly Wells at Tech. Harrell comes here and does well, he sticks at the minimum of three seasons

Considering just how much OC/DC and even some position coaches are getting paid these days - I don't think there is as much of an urgency for an OC/DC to leave for a HC job (any HC job) as soon as that opportunity becomes available.  Same thing with HC's at lower levels - there doesn't seem to be the same urgency to take the first P5 job that comes along as much as there used to be.  I may be way off-base - but it feels like more coaches than ever are waiting for the 'right' opportunity rather than the 'first'.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Considering just how much OC/DC and even some position coaches are getting paid these days - I don't think there is as much of an urgency for an OC/DC to leave for a HC job (any HC job) as soon as that opportunity becomes available.  Same thing with HC's at lower levels - there doesn't seem to be the same urgency to take the first P5 job that comes along as much as there used to be.  I may be way off-base - but it feels like more coaches than ever are waiting for the 'right' opportunity rather than the 'first'.

Great points!

Kinda funny how blOU kinda pushed out Stoops so Lincoln could become their new Head Coach.

Then Ryan Day takes over for Urban at tOSU....

Edited by LTtxfan

When was the last time we had safety's who could correctly read? We've had some talented players come in but for whatever reasons.. they keep looking at each other in the EZ when a wide open catch is made for a TD
Because they are not given simple missions...

These dudes have been the best football players on the field four most of their lives... When they ALL seem to get lost in college, that's coaching.

If they're getting out talented, it's the Jimmies and Joes. If they're often confused, it's the Xs and Os.

Id be all for some type of 425 running quarters and the nickle being a hybrid cover/run stopper.

I'm also fine with a 34 with a similar hybrid. These guys are all over the state. Just let them do the job without having to think.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Harrell is here and has a kick ass year one, he's not going to take a North Texas or Tulsa job.  He's gonna wait out for a bigger school, mainly Wells at Tech. Harrell comes here and does well, he sticks at the minimum of three seasons

I remember when people were saying the same shit about orlando after year 1. lulz

• Like 1