2020 Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

If Herman hires Harrell and Texas makes it back to the B12 Championship Game in 2020, won't be surprised to see Graham consider leaving for a Head Coaching job at a mid-major or Tech. 

When a team gets a good hotshot OC, they tend to only stick around for a couple years.

(Crazy how Dabo has kept his staff intact )

Man it's been years since Texas has had an assistant leave for a HC gig. Maybe Harsin to Ark State was the last.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

If Herman hires Harrell and Texas makes it back to the B12 Championship Game in 2020, won't be surprised to see Graham consider leaving for a Head Coaching job at a mid-major or Tech. 

When a team gets a good hotshot OC, they tend to only stick around for a couple years.

(Crazy how Dabo has kept his staff intact )

1) no way they fire Wells after 2 years. zip, zero, nada.

2) re: Dabo - he has the 2nd largest assistnat pool, Venables is paid $Texas and is in a fantastic position (huge freedom, gets paid, fantastic athletes/players, etc) - on the offensive side both guys are alums who are paid $850k+ and have the same positives as with Venables. honestly, what is the downside of it if you are a top tier coordinator? Nobody thinks Dabo is an asshole, you get paid and you have A+ players every year. 

side note, but that is exactly what Texas should be. great coach, pay assistants a ton (Clemson pays their pool about a million more than Texas, Ohio St pays like $1.5 more)

just realized my assistant coach info is from 2018, but still. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

If we could only be so lucky to have this problem.

How many years has it been since a coordinator at Texas left because they got a promotion? Was Harsin the last one?  

I mean...Manny Diaz has been head coach at 2 schools...one of them was for a week...but still...

TFloss32     246

TFloss32

Per 247 this morning, a source close to Graham Harrell is claiming he's reached out to at least one other coach about working in Austin, and he's possibly already been offered the job by Herman.

Harrell was waiting to see if USC would retain Helton before making any decisions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think he took that job without visiting. 

Yup.  He bailed to get away from Mack.  Even Harsin wasn't your typical coordinator taking a HC job to move up situation, though it ultimately worked out well for him.

Probably the last true coordinator to HC for advancement was Muschamp to Florida.  And even that had elements of escaping Mack, though no one would argue with the fact that it's a job you'd have to take under any circumstances.

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

TFloss32     246

TFloss32

Per 247 this morning, a source close to Graham Harrell is claiming he's reached out to at least one other coach about working in Austin, and he's possibly already been offered the job by Herman.

Harrell was waiting to see if USC would retain Helton before making any decisions.

Full quote from Chip Brown:

Wednesday, 9:45 a.m. update — Hearing from sources close to Graham Harrell that he's made at least one call to a coach he might want to bring with him to Texas if he ends up with the Longhorns' offensive coordinator job. One source close to Harrell said he thinks Harrell might've already been offered the Texas OC job, but that source said Harrell wanted to wait and see what the verdict at USC was on Trojans' coach Clay Helton. If Helton's retained, there's obviously a chance USC would make a substantial offer to keep Harrell. (Chip Brown)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Full quote from Chip Brown:

Hide contents

Wednesday, 9:45 a.m. update — Hearing from sources close to Graham Harrell that he's made at least one call to a coach he might want to bring with him to Texas if he ends up with the Longhorns' offensive coordinator job. One source close to Harrell said he thinks Harrell might've already been offered the Texas OC job, but that source said Harrell wanted to wait and see what the verdict at USC was on Trojans' coach Clay Helton. If Helton's retained, there's obviously a chance USC would make a substantial offer to keep Harrell. (Chip Brown)

I mean, fuck Chip Brown. If that’s true, you don’t offer another coach a job in Austin if your plan is to bilk your current employer out of more money

15 hours ago, JBJ said:

Front: Over-nickel (2 high)

Back: Quarters

Blitz: Zone

I made the same mistake that I think a lot of people are.  Ohio State ran an over front went he arrived and kept doing it (the kept the same Co-DC up front after all).

At Rutgers he started out running both but recruited for and eventually fully transitioned to an under front.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Without checking in on it, my reference to Traylor in a post earlier in this thread wasn’t a guess. If Texas hires Harrell, there’s a better than decent shot that he recruits Traylor back and Herman plays it. All of that would be pretty fucking great, honestly. I guess that’s why I’m assuming none of it happens. 

source.gif

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Without checking in on it, my reference to Traylor in a post earlier in this thread wasn’t a guess. If Texas hires Harrell, there’s a better than decent shot that he recruits Traylor back and Herman plays it. All of that would be pretty fucking great, honestly. I guess that’s why I’m assuming none of it happens. 

Traylor returning would be awesome... he would add another adult and non-asskisser to the offensive staff.  Great coach, recruiter and culture builder.

...no more powdered eggs and burnt toast!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Well, with Chip Brown reporting Graham Harrell has discussed working in Austin with a potential position coach hire and that he's possibly been offered the job, we can definitively rule out that Harrell has been offered the job and has discussed it with a potential position coach hire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Oh ok, I thought I heard something about a prior beef which is why many didn't expect him to retain Traylor. 

There was no beef. Traylor was actually one of the few members of Charlie’s staff that Tom wanted to keep. But he wanted him to accept an non-coaching role and Traylor refused and took the on field position offered to him at SMU. 

Just now, FreeHorn said:

There was no beef. Traylor was actually one of the few members of Charlie’s staff that Tom wanted to keep. But he wanted him to accept an non-coaching role and Traylor refused and took the on field position offered to him at SMU. 

Basically, Traylor wanted to break up the bromance.

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

So he expected Traylor to take an analyst role but was willing to give Meekins and Warehime coaching positions? SMH

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is there a timeline for any hires? 

I’m trying to plan out my week of excitement/disappointment 

Wednesday: disappointment

Thursday: disappointment

Friday: disappointment

Saturday: excitement from hearing a rumor about ______ was seen in Belmont/wife looking at houses/pages at the airport, followed by disappointment, followed by anger after OU winds another conference championship.

Sunday: disappointment followed by mild excitement when you hear a "leading candidate" has emerged.

Monday: disappointment when you learn that "leading candidate" is an average at best hire.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is there a timeline for any hires? 

I’m trying to plan out my week of excitement/disappointment 

here's a little schedule I put together for you

Wed Dec 4th, 11:56am - press F5

Wed Dec 4th, 11:57am - press F5

Wed Dec 4th, 11:58am - press F5

Wed Dec 4th, 11:59am - press F5

etc

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm still trying to figure out if this Harrell to OC thing is just the hopes and wishing of the fanbase and $9.95ers or is there some actual quote that a source has gotten from Herman or a Texas official that we will go after him? 

Do people realize Herman IS a OC and runs his offense the Power Spread? I mean IF he goes after Harrell which I hgope he does it will mean our super arrogant mensa card holding HC is abandoning the offense he brought here for the Air Raid or Harrell's version of it? 

I hope I WAYYYY wrong but I have a hard time seeing that happening. It would be Like Charlie bringing his 3-3-5 here and then bringing in a DC that runs a 4-3 or some opposite version he knows. It's very rare.

The flip side on the DC search is I am right there with what Rod Babers said on there podcast yesterday and that's if Chris Ash is "the guy" then you did no search and there should be 3-5 guys interviewed before anyone is hired. Ash would be another comfort hire imo.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

s after Harrell which I hgope he does it will mean our super arrogant mensa card holding HC is abandoning the offense he brought here for the Air Raid or Harrell's version of it? 

Well if you believe he was forced to fire Orlando and do whatever the fuck he's doing with Beck, then why in the hell wouldn't they also force him to bring in an OC to install an offense not so much like his?

That's if you do. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Well if you believe he was forced to fire Orlando and do whatever the fuck he's doing with Beck, then why in the hell wouldn't they also force him to bring in an OC to install an offense not so much like his?

That's if you do. 

Listen Tom, get off Surly and go hire some fucking coaches already.