2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

You’ve been questioning whether Tom’s hand was forced from the beginning, have you not? Maybe I’m thinking of someone else...

I do have my questions, because no, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's accurate.

My questioning of it isn't in defense of Tom, but more of a criticism of the powers that be, that if they have to force him to do these things, and had a good candidate lined up, then they should have gone ahead and moved on. 

Easier just to fall in line as to not confuse peoples, I assume. That's on me. 

Follow up from previous post:

At Rutgers he started out running both Over and Under, but recruited for and eventually fully transitioned to an Under front.  The improvement in defense during his time there is much due to this change.

This is a breakdown against PSU last year:

The front 3 never change their look on normal downs and align to the field.  He creates his looks at the LB level.

ILB alignment changes based on both playcall and run strength - always, they were never in true gaps.  This is a break from the typical spread defense because the trend is for defenses choose to position their ILBs either true or for passing strength.  I believe his 3 and 5 two-gap to buy the ILBs time to plug, but I didn't watch each play closely enough to be certain.

His OLBs were adjustable for passing strength. His Bandit is a hybrid DE/OLB.  His nickel is a safety/OLB hybrid.  Their roles are similar, and each is expected to be versatile enough to play coverage and pass rush.  The nickel was never left isolated on the edge, but the Bandit is.  The Bandit was never isolated in coverage, but the nickel is. The Will travels to accomplish this, the Mike doesn't unless there is a call on.

The alignment of the Nickel ranged from a ghost 9 to full cover. The bandit ranged from down 9 to apex.  They stayed boundary/field except for a tackle-over formation.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

You know what we need more of this time around are important role players.

Previous HOF

Craps Lady

PortaPotty guy/girl

god I'm missing some...

I guess we have Boston Herald guy who states Belichick kid wants the job.

We’ve got Uber drivers and convenience store clerks on the payroll too, buddy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

If we can't pull a DC out of Iowa State who isn't a lifer then...uh...we might be in some trouble.

I might not be the sharpest knife in the block,  but it doesn't take us whiffing on a DC to know that we are in trouble. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

It's a joke. If he ain't running it, then just hire someone else. Hiring an air raid guy to not run a version of the air raid makes no sense.

Harrell's not really running Air Raid now. 

...His contribution to USC was Air Raid, but they didn't undergo an offensive revolution like LSU has.  If he does the same thing here as USC, that's an accomplishment.  That's what the hiring should be geared for, imo.  I don't think the offense needs a revolution.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

So, basically the series Ozark was loosely based on how Harsin moved his family to Arkansas.   Except the creators thought escaping the mob was a better premise than escaping your passive aggressive bitch boss.

mob? bruh hes escaping the cartel they r on a whole other level than the mob

1 hour ago, Nowhichski said:

Take me back. Why exactly did Herman bring Mehringer in in the first place? Where did that hire come from? 

Mehringer and Herman go all the way back to Herman's time at Rice.  Mehringer was a QB, got injured, and then joined the staff as a student asst working under Herman.  He followed Herman to Iowa St and then Ohio St.  

Herman hired him to the Houston staff after Mehringer proved to be in over his head as the OC at Rutgers under Ash.  

• Like 1

The hiring need to happen quickly or they’ll lose this class. The recruiting class of 17 players is shaky already but good hires can fix that. Collins was a silent for forever and now he’s basically at risk but waiting to see what all shakes out. 

Outside of Drayton and Giles, no one should be ultimately expected back unless they mesh quickly with the DC and OC hires. That includes Hand. 

Regarding other folks that Harrell might bring with him, another guy could be Tommy Mainord. I don’t feel great about him, but if he’s the guy the new OC needs to come with him, so be it. 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tommy-mainord/319

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The hiring need to happen quickly or they’ll lose this class. The recruiting class of 17 players is shaky already but good hires can fix that. Collins was a silent for forever and now he’s basically at risk but waiting to see what all shakes out. 

Outside of Drayton and Giles, no one should be ultimately expected back unless they mesh quickly with the DC and OC hires. That includes Hand. 

Regarding other folks that Harrell might bring with him, another guy could be Tommy Mainord. I don’t feel great about him, but if he’s the guy the new OC needs to come with him, so be it. 

Gotta say... when I think of what I'd want in a WR coach, this isn't exactly the face I'd envision:

Tommy Mainord

Edited by Chuckie Finster

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've got no problem with him on the coaching side of things, but is there anybody in Harrell's circle with recruiting chops? A WR coach who knows how to coach WRs is fine and all, but what about one who can go get WRs who don't need an awful lot of coaching?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't imagine Mainord being a plus recruiter.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently Mainord's tenure as WRs coach at Kentucky didn't go very well:  https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/12/18/tommy-mainord-out-uk-wide-receivers-coach/77581196/

News of Dawson’s firing broke Thursday. Mainord joins him in not being retained from the 2015 coaching staff after three years in Lexington and a disappointing 2015 season for his position group.

Entering the season wide receiver was supposed to be one of the deepest positions on the field for Kentucky, but three players accounted for almost 60 percent of the team’s total receptions. Dropped passes also plagued the group throughout 2015. “I thought the wide receiver group would be a difference-maker for us, and I think that as an overall unit, I think they played some good football, but too inconsistent for us,” UK head coach Mark Stoops said in an interview with The Courier-Journal and Lexington Herald-Leader on Tuesday. “That group needs to continue to improve to be difference makers.”

Edited by satyanash

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Small world - Mainord was Herman's replacement at WR coach at Sam Houston State when Herman left following the 2004 season.

Anyone have any idea who Herrell might look at as OL coach?  His OL coach at USC last year was the former Michigan OL coach.  The UNT OL coach's resume makes Warehime's look robust.

Ah hell, how is it not abundantly clear that it should be Samples or Jones?

Lose Beck or Warehime, add Harrell, Traylor, Samples/Jones

Add DC (a few good, but not excellent options), and Okam

Get the first year bump for defensive schemes and beat OU twice. The rest is gravy and we're on our way. 

*puts down the koolaid *

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Ah hell, how is it not abundantly clear that it should be Samples or Jones?

Lose Beck or Warehime, add Harrell, Traylor, Samples/Jones

Add DC (a few good, but not excellent options), and Okam

Get the first year bump for defensive schemes and beat OU twice. The rest is gravy and we're on our way. 

*puts down the koolaid *

Yeah,

Harrell - OC/QB

Drayton - RB

Jones - WR

Traylor - TE

??? - OL, maybe Mason Miller

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I've played for Mainord and that is definitely not what you want. That experiment won't last long

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Small world - Mainord was Herman's replacement at WR coach at Sam Houston State when Herman left following the 2004 season.

Anyone have any idea who Herrell might look at as OL coach?  His OL coach at USC last year was the former Michigan OL coach.  The UNT OL coach's resume makes Warehime's look robust.

don't think Hand is going anywhere, he was one of like 2 guys who was still contacting recruits as of last week IIRC

Just now, Thiefery said:

Well the Mainford info isn't too pleasing.. if Traylor is on board, it eases me a little with recruiting.. But I would feel much better if they hire Samples as a co WR coach.  Maybe Beck gets let go completely and Harrell doubles as OC and QBC

We don't need two WR coaches.  I think the expectation is that Beck is gone and whoever the new OC is will also be QB coach.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

don't think Hand is going anywhere, he was one of like 2 guys who was still contacting recruits as of last week IIRC

I dont see how a new OC doesnt come in and want his own guy running the OL teaching his scheme

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We don't need two WR coaches.

Even before coaching staffs were expanded, most Air Raid coaches already had different coaches for Inside WR vs. Outside WR, and Tight Ends practiced with Inside WRs on some days and OL on other days.  If Harrell comes, it's pretty likely that we'll have two WR coaches.  That may mean cutting the TE coach completely to make room for another defensive coach.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Even before coaching staffs were expanded, most Air Raid coaches already had different coaches for Inside WR vs. Outside WR, and Tight Ends practiced with Inside WRs on some days and OL on other days.  If Harrell comes, it's pretty likely that we'll have two WR coaches.  That may mean cutting the TE coach completely to make room for another defensive coach.

This is correct.  Maybe I incorrectly assumed that the OP was advocating for 2 WR and TE and leaving the staff unbalanced.  Thats mostly what I was trying to argue against.

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

Dabo isn't leaving Clemson for Bama.

the fuck he isn't...he played on Bama's '92 National Championship team...and everyone of those fucks who wear that uniform are brainwashed as fuck.

he'd love nothing more than to go back and be an even bigger hero that Bryant and Saban.

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

the fuck he isn't...he played on Bama's '92 National Championship team...and everyone of those fucks who where that uniform are brainwashed as fuck.

he'd love nothing more than to go back and be an even bigger hero that Bryant and Saban.

Dabo's contract includes a clause specifically gouging the buyout if he goes to Alabama. They know he's going there, they just want to make sure Alabama is footing the bill for the next guy. 

• Like 1

If Harrell can design plays that feature multiple receivers running wide open and can teach our QBs to throw passes that reach them in stride, we'll be hella far ahead of where we are now. None of the LeachTree guys seem to have any problems getting OL to hold up for at least two seconds....

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is correct.  Maybe I incorrectly assumed that the OP was advocating for 2 WR and TE and leaving the staff unbalanced.  Thats mostly what I was trying to argue against.

OU is set up like that, but the QBs work with all three (plus Riley himself).