2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Even discussing an OC who runs something other than our absolute shit “power spread” system makes me happy.
Same for a DC who (hopefully) doesn’t run an exotic zone blitz scheme.
I still have faith that Tom can fuck it up but at least we have a chance.

Just know that whoever comes in on offense isn't going to run "their" system. At most, they're going to add some concepts they like to Herman's system and have play calling duties. Which isn't necessarialy bad. We've seen Herman's power spread be effective when called well. Just don't expect the air raid if it's Harrell.

Defense should have pretty much free reign, obviously.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There's going to be a lot of fired coaches in the NFL this year too. So, given the paucity of options in D1, I wonder if we'll see some trickle down, not that it's necessarily a desirable thing. Innovation seems to trickle up these days, and I'm not even sure if NFL coaches at the college level are as big a draw to recruits as they used to be. 

Supposedly when all the crap was flying around with Kingsbury and Harrell last year, one of the concerns was Harrell being willing to live in LA.  It wasn't seen as a major selling point for Harrell as opposed to Kingsbury if I remember correctly, but I have definitely slept since then.

Plus, its not like Harrell isn't familiar with the state.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Well the Mainford info isn't too pleasing.. if Traylor is on board, it eases me a little with recruiting.. But I would feel much better if they hire Samples as a co WR coach.  Maybe Beck gets let go completely and Harrell doubles as OC and QBC

Yesterday I was listening to this week's episode of Chip Brown's Horns247 podcast & a beat writer for USC was on as guest. 

Based on the stuff the USC beat writer  was saying, we should all want Graham Harrell to also be the QB Coach. It reminded me of the positive stuff we were hearing about Sonny Cumbie when UT was considering hiring Cumbie after the 2015 season. 

If Beck is gonna remain part the on-field coaching staff, he needs to move to TE coach or something.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Graham is in a really interesting position. Two flailing coaches, at high profile schools, competing for his services, and only one year to right the ship at both.

Herman may or may not be on life support, but Helton most definitely is.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Just know that whoever comes in on offense isn't going to run "their" system. At most, they're going to add some concepts they like to Herman's system and have play calling duties. Which isn't necessarialy bad. We've seen Herman's power spread be effective when called well. Just don't expect the air raid if it's Harrell.

Anyone who doesn't turtle on a 1-score lead, uses the full playbook, is willing to assess and attack opposition weaknesses rather than "impose their will", anyone who will do those things, is going to improve our situation dramatically.  I don't care what system it is.  Therm proved he can't pilot the plane and serve the peanuts at the same time.

Harrell is enchubbening.

19 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

If Texas is truly about to offer him 2 mill a year guaranteed for 2 years,  there is no way I don't see this happening if they are actually meeting.  I am certain Harrell wants to come back to Texas anyway, and I don't know that SC will be prepared to throw that kind of money at him to keep a coordinator from a staff that they may or may not can, but who knows.

Also, our own fanatical attitudes aside......I would have to believe that Herman is in a much better position than Helton....Maybe I am wrong, but frustration and such aside, Herman has so far been far superior to what Helton has been serving up.

Chip Brown actually said $2MM guaranteed for 3 years

• Like 1

i think that is backwards. Lashlee played for Gus in high school, was a GA at Arky & Auburn and was the OC at Ark State & Auburn. was basically with him from like 2000 to 2016
there was *no* Lashlee offense that wasn't derived from the Malzahn offense 

Ah right my mistake. I thought he had coached at one point under one of Mike Leach’s coaching tree disciples.

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

I could go for that......although the last time we poached an all world coach from Okie lite results were somewhat disappointing.

Yeah, but if you're talking about Wickline, he was kind of an ass, and everyone knew it. This dude at least develops WR's that can/have gone high in the draft. He's done some amazing recruiting. 

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Herman may or may not be on life support, but Helton most definitely is.

And even with Herman on the ropes, Texas' recruiting class can be described at worst as "disappointing".  USC's is more in the "abysmal" category. I'd think that would factor into Harrell's thinking, but we'll see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Let 'Em Hang said:

Maybe after 8 years he's ready for a change?  Who knows, but he sounds like a possible....

That's my hope. A new challenge with some highly rated recruits and see what happens. The guy seems to have done well everywhere he's been. It would be stupid for Herman not to reach out (assuming he hasn't).