2020 Coaching Staff

Had dinner last night with a pretty plugged in guy who lives down on the bayou is southern LA. His SIL’s dad is the president of the Tiger Athletic Foundation. He said Brady has been calling the plays for LSU all season and they locked him up for 4 years at around $1.5 million/year. He won’t be going anywhere unless it’s to the NFL. 

Kinda mirrors what everyone on Twitter was saying that it’s comical if anyone thinks he’s coming to Texas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Had dinner last night with a pretty plugged in guy who lives down on the bayou is southern LA. His SIL’s dad is the president of the Tiger Athletic Foundation. He said Brady has been calling the plays for LSU all season and they locked him up for 4 years at around $1.5 million/year. He won’t be going anywhere unless it’s to the NFL. 

Kinda mirrors what everyone on Twitter was saying that it’s comical if anyone thinks he’s coming to Texas.

Brady's agent sucks.  Top assistants are making over 2 million a year.  He could have had Brady in a bidding war between Texas, LSU, and whoever else.

46 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Damn Harrell getting HC opps too? Probably what's dragging this out into next week. 

Being a young guy would he want to take on a HC gig at a lesser school or make over a million in Austin or LA. I would think he would want to continue being an OC and then move into a HC role at a school you can win big at. 

1 minute ago, Rhinotx said:

Being a young guy would he want to take on a HC gig at a lesser school or make over a million in Austin or LA. I would think he would want to continue being an OC and then move into a HC role at a school you can win big at. 

Not that they have any inside info on Harrell's decision - but FootballScoop doesn't think Graham would take the HC job at UNLV over his current position or the Texas OC job.

Recently fired Tont Sanchez was making less than a million as the head coach at UNLV - Harrell looks to double that as the OC at Texas or USC.

2 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Helton and Herman are both likely to be fired after next season so I understand if he'd prefer a HC gig where he can control his own future.

Just now, 6th Street said:

Helton and Herman are both likely to be fired after next season so I understand if he'd prefer a HC gig where he can control his own future.

Unless Harrell absolutely shits the bed as the OC at Texas - he'll have no shortage of opportunities - better than UNLV - when Herman gets fired.

4 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Kinda the Kirby Smart model.

Seems like a good plan. 

3 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

20 years ago you'd want to be HC, but now with OC salaries and the fact that plenty of programs are willing to hand the keys over to someone with no HC experience I would probably just stick with OC.  I'm not even sure what the UNLV HC would make but I would guess it's less than what Harrell can leverage out of USC or Texas.

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

20 years ago you'd want to be HC, but now with OC salaries and the fact that plenty of programs are willing to hand the keys over to someone with no HC experience I would probably just stick with OC.  I'm not even sure what the UNLV HC would make but I would guess it's less than what Harrell can leverage out of USC or Texas.

My thoughts as well. Brent Venerables figured it out and probably works half the hours with 20% of the stress as HCs where he might go while still making millions

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

His contract with Texas and or raise from USC is going to be fully guaranteed.  Harrell's future has little to do with Herman or Helton.  UNLV or a program on that level will always be there. 

Bobby Burton / Horns 247

(Odds - 50/50 on Harrell, 80/20 on Ash.)

Spoiler

Yesterday, Mike Roach and I taped the weekly State of Recruiting podcast.

We reviewed the Texas commitment list player by player. I asked Mike to put the players and the relative strength of their pledge to Texas into three different categories, starting with a level of most concerned given the coaching changes to least concerned.

The result was somewhat encouraging.

While Mike most definitely has concerns because of coaching attrition, the majority of Texas' 17 commitments appear to be solid and prepared to sign in the early signing period in just two weeks.

Here's the link to the podcast if you'd like to listen.

https://megaphone.link/CBS1650384721

Additionally, Mike went ahead and put an article together in list form that also tells the story of where things stand with the 17 pledges.

With the announcement by USC's new athletic director that Clay Helton is getting another year, the focus now rests squarely on the decision of Helton's offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, the former Texas Tech quarterback and state-champion from Ennis.

It is my understanding that Texas has either offered Harrell the job and/or made sure that Harrell knows that the job is his if he wants it.

Chip Brown is reporting that the potential package for Harrell would be roughly a guaranteed $2-million a year for three years.

The timing of any such decision by Harrell should be soon, as in by this weekend, or I would expect the two parties to have moved on.

If Herman and Harrell move on, most would expect Herman to try to approach LSU's Joe Brady. Yet I am told that Brady would be more inclined to stick with LSU or perhaps even jump back to the NFL for a coordinator position in the league rather than change jobs in the college ranks.

One point of note is that both USC and LSU can match dollars with Texas. So this is not a situation where either school would be outbid if an assistant wanted to stay put. Perhaps a program might disagree on the assistant's worth, but if they truly want to keep that assistant, the money will be there.

What happens if Tom Herman can't connect on either Harrell or Brady?

That's a fair question and one that just may need answering by this time next week.

I am told that Herman is leaning on former Texas OC Greg Davis in an advisory role in the OC search process.

That means if things go beyond Harrell and Brady, Davis may play an integral role in identifying other candidates.

As Chip has reported, I am told that "word on the street" is that Chris Ash is expected to be the next Texas defensive coordinator.

At this point, I'm actually surprised that Herman has not already made such an announcement. Perhaps he's waiting until after the bowl where current safeties coach Craig Naivar is the acting DC to reveal it publicly.

My personal odds on new coordinators:

50-50 on Harrell (and we should know soon)

80-20 on Ash

21 hours ago, JBJ said:

Follow up from previous post:

At Rutgers he started out running both Over and Under, but recruited for and eventually fully transitioned to an Under front.  The improvement in defense during his time there is much due to this change.

This is a breakdown against PSU last year:

The front 3 never change their look on normal downs and align to the field.  He creates his looks at the LB level.

ILB alignment changes based on both playcall and run strength - always, they were never in true gaps.  This is a break from the typical spread defense because the trend is for defenses choose to position their ILBs either true or for passing strength.  I believe his 3 and 5 two-gap to buy the ILBs time to plug, but I didn't watch each play closely enough to be certain.

His OLBs were adjustable for passing strength. His Bandit is a hybrid DE/OLB.  His nickel is a safety/OLB hybrid.  Their roles are similar, and each is expected to be versatile enough to play coverage and pass rush.  The nickel was never left isolated on the edge, but the Bandit is.  The Bandit was never isolated in coverage, but the nickel is. The Will travels to accomplish this, the Mike doesn't unless there is a call on.

The alignment of the Nickel ranged from a ghost 9 to full cover. The bandit ranged from down 9 to apex.  They stayed boundary/field except for a tackle-over formation.

ENGLISH, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

I am told that Herman is leaning on former Texas OC Greg Davis in an advisory role in the OC search process.
That means if things go beyond Harrell and Brady, Davis may play an integral role in identifying other candidates.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PencilPusher said:

So if we truly have "hashed" out our coordinator hires with Harrell and Ash, speculation on who the other assistant hires should be? Think these are probably no less vital.....we know how assistants like Mehringer can really f things up. Anyone that has to be retained from the current staff?

Which is going to make it awkward if naviar and washington are both let go.. who is gonna be the coaches for the bowl game? Does Tom announce Ash then wait til after the bowl game to let them go?

48 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Helton almost got fired this year and he still controls his own future (outside of at USC had it happened). I don't think most coaches in Harrell's position think that way. 

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Which is going to make it awkward if naviar and washington are both let go.. who is gonna be the coaches for the bowl game? Does Tom announce Ash then wait til after the bowl game to let them go?

I'm guessing they'll be paid for staying through the bowl game. Maybe a bump in addition to their contracts. 

6 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

So if we truly have "hashed" out our coordinator hires with Harrell and Ash, speculation on who the other assistant hires should be? Think these are probably no less vital.....we know how assistants like Mehringer can really f things up. Anyone that has to be retained from the current staff?

Well, apparently Harrell is a coin flip. So if Texas Strikes out on him, then we’ll get to see who Greg Davis suggested. How comforting. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Hell, I'll take it. Leaning on someone who has connections outside of his "Comfort Zone". Kinda what we're wanting.

um, this is the guy he says is his "mentor."  This is the guy he was a GA for.  GDGD is not out of his comfort zone. 

This is also the guy who consulted the week before the OU game and our offense looked like the shitty offenses he called against OU.  

• Like 1