2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

6 minutes ago, gecko said:

Roma, I don't visit this thread for information, I come here purely as entertainment.

Were you not entertained by my metaphor? Also, I didn't write anything about the content on the thread. I just made a surly observation about the hyperventilation.

I am glad to know why you come to this thread.

12 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Say Herman and Helton get fired next season. 

Saban appears near retirement. 

Riley goes to the NFL. 

Harbaugh gets fired. 

That's a lot of blue bloods looking for HCs at the same time. 

Pretty good chance Texas and USC jobs are open.  Possible on UM.  Next to zero that Saban and Riley leave. 

16 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Say Herman and Helton get fired next season. 

Saban appears near retirement. 

Riley goes to the NFL. 

Harbaugh gets fired. 

That's a lot of blue bloods looking for HCs at the same time. 

And guess which blue blood would hire the shittiest coach.

• Like 4

He's not asking Davis to call plays. He's just asking for advice.
You guys are going to dislocate your shoulders from throwing your hands up in the air at every new development.

Nah, my shoulders have gotten used to that motion over the past decade.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Maybe this search will go smoother than that time we sent the VIPs on the private plane to Tulsa to hire the cow and calf tag team. If not, more entertainment for messageboarding.

Real talk. Who would you rather coach under - Charlie or Herman? 

Spoiler

COL_08nWsAAgpH1.png.png

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

um, this is the guy he says is his "mentor."  This is the guy he was a GA for.  GDGD is not out of his comfort zone. 

This is also the guy who consulted the week before the OU game and our offense looked like the shitty offenses he called against OU.  

Ugh, y'all are probably right. I'm trying to find something positive got dammit. Back to the pool of misery. 

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You guys are going to dislocate your shoulders from throwing your hands up in the air at every new development.

Who else better to help screen candidates than the most prolific screen game OC in the history of UT?

Is that your arguement?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Maybe this search will go smoother than that time we sent the VIPs on the private plane to Tulsa to hire the cow and calf tag team. If not, more entertainment for messageboarding.

There were rumors around town that Maddox consistently blew up the toilets at Perry’s steakhouse 

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Kinda mirrors what everyone on Twitter was saying that it’s comical if anyone thinks he’s coming to Texas.

It's not. 

Because this:

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Brady's agent sucks.  Top assistants are making over 2 million a year.  He could have had Brady in a bidding war between Texas, LSU, and whoever else.

Look, Herman sucks and we've been wandering the abyss for a decade now. But fuck this "it's comical if anyone thinks he's coming to Texas" nonsense. That's fucking loser talk. Texas is still Texas. We've got more money than God and we should ALWAYS be a threat to take an assistant. I'm not saying we should always get whoever we want. But when we come calling, coaches will listen. Hell, even if it's just to get a fat fucking raise.

And who gives a shit if LSU has some secret handshake agreement with Brady. If it were official, they would have to report it because they're a public entity. So it's not. And even if it were official, we could always buy it out. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

And who gives a shit if LSU has some secret handshake agreement with Brady. If it were official, they would have to report it because they're a public entity. So it's not. And even if it were official, we could always buy it out. 

LOL - do you know how stuff works in the state of Louisiana?  New Orleans built an airport with no roads to it and it sat vacant for over a year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This is also the guy who consulted the week before the OU game and our offense looked like the shitty offenses he called against OU.  

"Ok, Tom, on this WR screen here, your receivers are blocking the DBS right in front of them.  You want them to whiff that block then try to block the deep safety 30 yards down the field. "

"Won't that end up with a tackle for a loss?"

"Tom.. Tommy, my boy...  yes but , only if your wr doesn't break a 1 on 1 open field tackle.  If he does break that tackle though.... Ooh boy your looking at at least a 10 yard gain. And if that fail on first down, let me tell you, and this is my secret sauce here, you throw the screen to the OTHER side.  What are the odds a defense has more than one  DB that can make an open field tackle?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

"Ok, Tom, on this WR screen here, your receivers are blocking the DBS right in front of them.  You want them to whiff that block then try to block the deep safety 30 yards down the field. "

"Won't that end up with a tackle for a loss?"

"Tom.. Tommy, my boy...  yes but , only if your wr doesn't break a 1 on 1 open field tackle.  If he does break that tackle though.... Ooh boy your looking at at least a 10 yard gain. And if that fail on first down, let me tell you, and this is my secret sauce here, you throw the screen to the OTHER side.  What are the odds a defense has more than one  DB that can make an open field tackle?

What's amazing is that watching us repeatedly fail at those screens, just like we did in the GD era, leads me to believe that this is exactly the "thought" process.

I watch other teams run them with great effectiveness...and lead blockers. I can't fathom how an intelligent person can watch that over and over and believe the play design is good or that those plays should ever be called again.

I’m fine with Ash and Harrell.   Make it official.  If Ash teaches the defense how to tackle and cover that turns us from last place into middle of the pack already.  Harrell can bomb people off the fucking runway on offense.  If we can start getting leads and making our opponents one dimensional things get real interesting on defense.

• Like 4

Greg Davis is on record against shorting deep balls against single coverage and the pump fake.

He largely avoided calling crossing routes or running back screens.

He considered the play action pass and draws a trick play.

He’d keep those staples of modern offensive football in his back pocket, hamstringing the offense only to get abused by above average defenses on a regular basis.

Between 1979-2014, Texas was shut out once, a Greg Davis-coached team led two of the greatest offensive talents in Texas football history.

He was exposed in 2010 and fired.

He was exposed in Iowa and fired.

When his teams do not enjoy an overwhelming talent advantage, excellent special teams and defense, his offenses have sucked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Greg Davis is on record against shorting deep balls against single coverage and the pump fake.

He largely avoided calling crossing routes or running back screens.

He considered the play action pass and draws a trick play.

He’d keep those staples of modern offensive football in his back pocket, hamstringing the offense only to get abused by above average defenses on a regular basis.

Between 1979-2014, Texas was shut out once, a Greg Davis-coached team led two of the greatest offensive talents in Texas football history.

He was exposed in 2010 and fired.

He was exposed in Iowa and fired.

When his teams do not enjoy an overwhelming talent advantage, excellent special teams and defense, his offenses have sucked.

Holy shit! Did anyone know about this when he was our OC? 

• Haha 2

If Greg Davis is providing advice the following questions” must be on Herman’s list for the OC candidates:

“Do you think you could be part of a national championship team here at Texas?Wait, before you answer, what if I also told you there would be 31 nfl players on the roster and a once in a lifetime player at QB? Could you then score some points so we could win?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman should be fired right now for this.  

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

As BschoolProf goes on to illustrate later on, this is completely the wrong take. 

Greg Davis was on campus during the OU game giving offensive feedback. Davis has given feedback to herman repeatedly over the years...including staff hires previously. And you want this guy showing up and advising again after the last results as well? His presence is yet another redundant indicator that Herman doesn't fucking get it, and his echo chamber and cognitive dissonance are the most important thing to him in his life. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

Imagine this dude walking into the living rooms of america or try to give a PC after an o.u. asskicking?

Of course not, Texas would never hire someone with such unkept image and poor public demeanor. Which is why he is gonna get hired by OU and proceed to win 10 conference titles and 2 national championships. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, if there's one guy I'd want  advice from re: turning around a plodding, under-achieving offense in favor of a more wide-open, creative, cutting-edge offense in 2019, it's certainly Greg Davis.  On top of that, if I'm coaching for my career next year, and literally everything as far as my coaching reputation and livelihood rides on this decision, he's the main guy I'd turn to.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As BschoolProf goes on to illustrate later on, this is completely the wrong take. 

Greg Davis was on campus during the OU game giving offensive feedback. Davis has given feedback to herman repeatedly over the years...including staff hires previously. And you want this guy showing up and advising again after the last results as well? His presence is yet another redundant indicator that Herman doesn't fucking get it, and his echo chamber and cognitive dissonance are the most important thing to him in his life. 

Excellent example of exasperated hand throwing. Thank you. 

I never indicate a preference for Davis to be anything, so no I don't "want this guy showing up and advising again..."

My point, which you illustrate very eloquently, was about the hysteria about any new development. I don't know the quality of Davis' advice. I don't know the gravity of his impact with Herman. I don't know of one thing he has advised for or against. I'm only just now aware that he was around for the OU game. I don't know what he did there.

Not knowing, I don't default to "OMG! Since other things are shitty this is shitty! OMG! Someone questions that! He must be shitty, too!"

Things are indeed shitty right now. Herman is ultimately responsible. I think coaching changes were called for. Herman may deserve firing next year. See, I'm aboard. But I don't get reading tea leaves to feed a melt-down jones. I don't get laying out a firm position in advance of facts (Davis advising! Herman is an insufferable human being! Herman hiring an acquaintance will end our world!"), so I make a joke of it.

You see, I come here primarily for entertainment. I also enjoy reading the opinions of people who know more than I do or are witty. Many of the hand wringers fit that description. They're also hand wringers. 

Perhaps it is far far better thing they do than anything I have ever done.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Excellent example of exasperated hand throwing. Thank you. 

I never indicate a preference for Davis to be anything, so no I don't "want this guy showing up and advising again..."

My point, which you illustrate very eloquently, was about the hysteria about any new development. I don't know the quality of Davis' advice. I don't know the gravity of his impact with Herman. I don't know of one thing he has advised for or against. I'm only just now aware that he was around for the OU game. I don't know what he did there.

Not knowing, I don't default to "OMG! Since other things are shitty this is shitty! OMG! Someone questions that! He must be shitty, too!"

Things are indeed shitty right now. Herman is ultimately responsible. I think coaching changes were called for. Herman may deserve firing next year. See, I'm aboard. But I don't get reading tea leaves to feed a melt-down jones. I don't get laying out a firm position in advance of facts (Davis advising! Herman is an insufferable human being! Herman hiring an acquaintance will end our world!"), so I make a joke of it.

You see, I come here primarily for entertainment. I also enjoy reading the opinions of people who know more than I do or are witty. Many of the hand wringers fit that description. They're also hand wringers. 

Perhaps it is far far better thing they do than anything I have ever done.

You're not our standard, RomaVicta.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Of course not, Texas would never hire someone with such unkept image and poor public demeanor. Which is why he is gonna get hired by OU and proceed to win 10 conference titles and 2 national championships. 

Don't be ridiculous, he will go to Oklahoma State first.