2020 Coaching Staff

Hey, so why don’t y’all like Ash?  If Herman fails, we go after Urban or some other prick bastard piece of shit.  I like Ash a lot because I don’t hear anything about retarded exotic Waco chaotic blitzes and he talks about T A C K L I N G.  I mean I want the Baylor DC, Muschamp or him.  I’m tired of F G T R T D coordinators.  I don’t want to turn the game off in the third quarter any more because our coaches are incompetent pricks.  Hell, I’m ready to start buying gold Trans Ams.  If Ash doesn’t work, well, we get a new coach.  Hopefully it’s a morally ambiguous piece of shit who wins titles and cusses the refs.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Your original post implied that we should prioritize moving to a four-man line if elite DL recruits. It was correctly pointed out that multiple teams consistently land elite DL talent and put guys in the league using three-man fronts. Now those examples don't count because they're not our peers.

In addition to resorting to moving the goalposts, you've successfully articulated the initial argument against your own point. The elite programs land elite DL talent. Not because of the front they run, but because they win and get guys drafted.

I’ll break this down very easy for you, as it appears you have trouble following. I suggest you work your way back through it slowly. 

My initial post quoted his, where he claimed that a 3 or 4 man line can both be executed effectively, and that a solid DC/defense is all that matters.    

It is well known that we have been negatively recruited for our 3 man front.  SO, if either can be run effectively, it would seem like a good idea to just run the 4 man, and at the same time squash that negative recruiting.  You might pick up some dipshit teenager that can be a program changer, maybe not. 

In the following post, UA, LSU, and UGA were brought as examples of 3 man fronts. So was the initial post that 3 vs 4 is a wash is bullshit? Are those teams elite (LSU D??) because of a 3 man front, or because they stack top 3 classes for the last 5 years straight?  Either way, UT isn’t mentioned alongside them for many years now. 

If a 3 and 4 really doesn’t matter, than we need to pick whatever helps get the elite talent here.  Once you are known for putting kids into the pros, it makes a whole lot less of a shit what you run (effectively). UA, UGA, and LSU have that rep. UT does not.  The only goal posts that were moved was claiming 3vs4 is irrelevant then only listing elite 3 man fronts.  

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It is well known that we have been negatively recruited for our 3 man front.  SO, if either can be run effectively, it would seem like a good idea to just run the 4 man, and at the same time squash that negative recruiting.  You might pick up some dipshit teenager that can be a program changer, maybe not. 

If a 3 and 4 really doesn’t matter, than we need to pick whatever helps get the elite talent here.  Once you are known for putting kids into the pros, it makes a whole lot less of a shit what you run (effectively). UA, UGA, and LSU have that rep. UT does not.  The only goal posts that were moved was claiming 3vs4 is irrelevant then only listing elite 3 man fronts.  

Your argument is still dumb.  Which 4-man front are we losing recruits to? It seems like Baylor and Utah are our competition right now and both run 3.

29 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I keep shaking my head about people who are worried about if Harrell is a good recruiter or not. OCs & DCs being a good recruiter is a bonus, not a requirement. X&O's is way more important at those coaching positions.

This year is going to be a great example of how fortunate we are. Aside from firing the head coach or having no scholarships to offer, we're a lock for top 10-15 classes.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Our three man front was negatively recruited because we sucked on defense, didn’t generate pressure on the QB, our lineman ate up blocks but our LBs still couldn’t really get pressure, and our only sacks came from safeties blitzing from Antarctica.

I agree completely.

Whether true or not though, it was reported by the 9.95’s several times as why we weren’t getting looks from individual recruits, and that we were being negatively recruited because of it.  Should a player be able to take I the whole picture, yeah. Does it always happen, no. But if both a 3 and 4 are equal as stated, why not use what lands you more players (until you are a powerhouse that can get them no matter the system).  I’d have to dig or defer to the true recruitniks for which players, but we’ve all read it several times. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ll break this down very easy for you, as it appears you have trouble following. I suggest you work your way back through it slowly. 

My initial post quoted his, where he claimed that a 3 or 4 man line can both be executed effectively, and that a solid DC/defense is all that matters.    

In the following post, UA, LSU, and UGA were brought as examples of 3 man fronts. So was the initial post that 3 vs 4 is a wash is bullshit? Are those teams elite (LSU D??) because of a 3 man front, or because they stack top 3 classes for the last 5 years straight?  Either way, UT isn’t mentioned alongside them for many years now. 

It's more complicated than that, playing archaic offenses makes defenses look better, making players look better, putting more players into the league, and boosting recruiting. 

UT suffers from playing much more prolific offenses, causing the inverse.  Take a look at LSU and Bama this year, the better the offenses they play the worse their defenses look.  And the faster their own offenses play, the worse their own defenses look.  

The best team with the best coach with consistently the best recruiting classes every year for the past decade had a their defense fall significantly this year, particularly when facing a really good, fast offense.   LSU spun up their offense and either forgot how to play defense or are feeling the effects, particularly when facing good, fast offenses.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

In defense of those who claimed to read Playboy for the articles, it had several regular writers and cartoonists - such as Jean Shepherd and Gahan Wilson - who were always among the very first things to be examined, Donna Michelle notwithstanding. 

EDIT: Jean Shepherd wrote the original bit which turned into one of our all-time favorite holiday movies, A Christmas Story. Most of his writings there were incredibly funny, recalling his childhood in Indiana, and reading much like the narration from that movie.

One of Jean Shepard’s best works was the Phantom of the Open Hearth, IMO.

Edited by El Squared

12 hours ago, Lonestar4.8 said:

Gary Kubiak would be an interesting candidate. Good at quickly improving offenses and has Texas ties. Bonus... Would piss off a lot of Ags if he came to Texas and helped turn the program around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

you mean the guy who has a grand total of 2 years as a college coach in the early 90s and has been in the NFL for the last 26 years and stepped down from being an NFL HC due to health issues?

I’m starting to think Tom should have nutted up and declared himself the OC and taken complete ownership of the offense For 2020.  Keep Beck as the QB coach, get a real WR coach and a competent ST guy. .  Spend the 2 mil you were going to use on Harrell to buy the best defensive coordinator you can find.  It’s not some impossible thing to be your own OC at a major program.  Plenty of examples where it works great.  Be what you are best at and thereby bring maximum value to the org.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m starting to think Tom should have nutted up and declared himself the OC and taken complete ownership of the offense For 2020.  Keep Beck as the QB coach, get a real WR coach and a competent ST guy. .  Spend the 2 mil you were going to use on Harrell to buy the best defensive coordinator you can find.  It’s not some impossible thing to be your own OC at a major program.  Plenty of examples where it works great.  Be what you are best at and thereby bring maximum value to the org.  

I'm not arguing with any of your points, because they're fine in certain situations. But none of those are Texas as we currently stand. 

First, and this is the minor point, I don't fucking care about saving money. We dont have to be some bargain bin rob from peter to pay paul shit program that can have 1 high coordinator but not 2. We can have both, we don't give a fuck if we have 2 coordinators making 2 million per, we can afford it, especially with fundraising through the roof. It's not your money, don't be vaginal about spending it. 

Second, and this is the big one, Herman doesn't want to do that. I don't know if you've noticed, but Herman has whined publicly and loudly at every fucking opportunity about how hard it is being a Head Coach and being a full time offensive coordinator. He says it's impossible for him to do effectively, and he sucks off Lincoln Riley and everyone else who does it effectively at every single motherfucking opportunity. So while yes, it works elsewhere, Tom doesn't want to do it, isn't going to do it, and if you noticed after last season isn't going to be effective doing it consistently. You might as well insist to Orlando he shelve his preferred defense for a 4 man front full time and get out on the road and recruit. While other coaches clearly can and do perform those kinds of transitions and functions, Orlando didn't, and it was clear it wasn't going to happen. 

You're wish-casting. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Herman looked like he was calling plays all season, but the offense sucked after OSU. So either he just stopped calling them personally and was having Beck/Fedora call plays and he was just consulting, or he was doing a terrible job. Either way, it was shitty. 

In some games, the offense was creative and clearly gameplanned the opponent. In others, it was vanilla and was very "just run out stuff" irrespective of what the opponent was doing or was good at. I'm not sure what was going on there, but perhaps Herman thinks it takes too much of his time to put together the good offensive gameplans personally. 

• Like 2