2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Herman looked like he was calling plays all season, but the offense sucked after OSU. So either he just stopped calling them personally and was having Beck/Fedora call plays and he was just consulting, or he was doing a terrible job. Either way, it was shitty. 

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

In some games, the offense was creative and clearly gameplanned the opponent. In others, it was vanilla and was very "just run out stuff" irrespective of what the opponent was doing or was good at. I'm not sure what was going on there, but perhaps Herman thinks it takes too much of his time to put together the good offensive gameplans personally. 

That's what I noticed as well. It also seemed like they had no idea how to move the offense with Colin Johnson out. 

The rumors of Harrell staying are either true or they are false.

If true:

1. Harrell chose to ride it out with the hot seat he knows

If false:

1. New AD is leaking statements echoing stability leading up to signing a historically bad recruiting class that gets worse if Harrell leaves.
  2. New AD is making statements because his booster site is down and they are trying to communicate stability to the money.
  3. New AD is leaking statements to justify retaining Helton in the name of continuity and growth. If Harrell leaves, their reasoning is shot.
  4. Combination of all of the above

They've got a lot more reasons to suggest Harrell's staying than to say he's leaving. I'm going to conclude, based on context, that these comments are made more for the benefit of USC than for the benefit of the truth. They may end up being right but I would be surprised if these statements are related to anything tangible that Harrell has communicated to the administration.

14 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s like Groundhog Day, paying too much money for a young, unproven OC, in an attempt to save a head coach’s  job who should have been fired for his initial shitty staff choices.

In fairness, the last young, unproven, underpaid OC at least got us a doak walker award winner plus our first drafted O ineman in a decade and was far down the list of fatal flaws within the program. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Herman looked like he was calling plays all season, but the offense sucked after OSU. So either he just stopped calling them personally and was having Beck/Fedora call plays and he was just consulting, or he was doing a terrible job. Either way, it was shitty. 

There’s a reason why a lot of really good OCs sit upstairs. Herman’s even said he prefers calling plays from the booth. I’d be ok if Herman was up in the booth and plus he can drink up there. Shit man, it doesn’t get any better than that. Give McConnaughey the headset and this shit will get turned around. And turnt up. Prove me wrong. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XForce said:

There’s a reason why a lot of really good OCs sit upstairs. Herman’s even said he prefers calling plays from the booth. I’d be ok if Herman was up in the booth and plus he can drink up there. Shit man, it doesn’t get any better than that. Give McConnaughey the headset and this shit will get turned around. And turnt up. Prove me wrong. 

He has experience as a head coach

80abb23c3269ae153164533bf684b26f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not arguing with any of your points, because they're fine in certain situations. But none of those are Texas as we currently stand. 

First, and this is the minor point, I don't fucking care about saving money. We dont have to be some bargain bin rob from peter to pay paul shit program that can have 1 high coordinator but not 2. We can have both, we don't give a fuck if we have 2 coordinators making 2 million per, we can afford it, especially with fundraising through the roof. It's not your money, don't be vaginal about spending it. 

Second, and this is the big one, Herman doesn't want to do that. I don't know if you've noticed, but Herman has whined publicly and loudly at every fucking opportunity about how hard it is being a Head Coach and being a full time offensive coordinator. He says it's impossible for him to do effectively, and he sucks off Lincoln Riley and everyone else who does it effectively at every single motherfucking opportunity. So while yes, it works elsewhere, Tom doesn't want to do it, isn't going to do it, and if you noticed after last season isn't going to be effective doing it consistently. You might as well insist to Orlando he shelve his preferred defense for a 4 man front full time and get out on the road and recruit. While other coaches clearly can and do perform those kinds of transitions and functions, Orlando didn't, and it was clear it wasn't going to happen. 

You're wish-casting. 

I don't know why people would want him to be the OC either.  He has his system and appears to know how to implement it, but he's pretty fucking rigid within his system and is not very good at adapting it to his available personnel.  We need someone with more creativity and who will be more proactive with adapting the offense to the strengths/weaknesses of the available personnel than what Tom can provide.  

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

tomey_collage.jpg

Well mark him off then.

The infatuation some of this board have with Robinson, Tomey, and Akina is strange.  Yes, they did a good job when they were here.  But there are probably defensive coaches under the age of 40 60 that are also good.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Depression sucks.  Don't know for sure thats whats going on - but between his decision-making and the unexplained illness - it seems likely.

Yeah I’m kinda bummed for the kid. Should have stayed at USC instead of flirting with Texas. I think he would have gotten on the field but would have quit halfway through because of Meh. I wish I could erase the memory of him in a Texas uni. As a wise man once said, it’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

small thing, but as an "analyst" can Fedora have a headset and coach on game days? or is that only limited to QC folks?

Edited by NoName

39 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well mark him off then.

The infatuation some of this board have with Robinson, Tomey, and Akina is strange.  Yes, they did a good job when they were here.  But there are probably defensive coaches under the age of 40 60 that are also good.

Tomey had a huge impact on the culture of Texas in his brief time as a coach.  

39 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well mark him off then.

Tomey had a huge impact on the culture of Texas in his brief time as a coach.  

• Like 1