2020 Coaching Staff

WOW... If Harrell stays at USC, guess he prefers one more year with Helton and the current USC personnel better than working with Herman and/or the current Texas offensive roster. 
The returning USC QB room and WR group are pretty strong for 2020...

Or during the interview, Harrell talked about exposing the weakness of the defense, using different personnel groups, adjusting the offense to the strengths of the players and using deception to run multiple types of plays from the same formation and things went south from there.

• Like 3

Just now, dogfarts said:

Or during the interview, Harrell talked about exposing the weakness of the defense, using different personnel groups, adjusting the offense to the strengths of the players and using deception to run multiple types of plays from the same formation and things went south from there.

I mean that’s all clearly cheating, right?

Just now, dogfarts said:

Against us, he was really shrewd.  "Well, see, their D line can't pressure, their LB's can't tackle, and their DBs can't cover.  So I think I have discovered some weaknesses we can expose."  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh, that's not really saying anything. Should be standard practice for all positions to be an open competition every single offseason. If you have a stud who is a great player then he'll win that open competition. If he doesn't win it, then he wasn't a stud.

Yeah, he is more or less taking the opposite approach than Mack Brown when recruiting Adrian Peterson.

HFqdjGz.gif

there is no way to keep a QB happy waiting for 3 years to play these days and that is even if you are winning.  you need to be extremely active in the grad transfer/transfer market.  unfortunately the "QB whisperer" bloom is off the rose for Herman and the losing just makes it worse.

Just now, dcar00 said:

there is no way to keep a QB happy waiting for 3 years to play these days and that is even if you are winning.  you need to be extremely active in the grad transfer/transfer market.  unfortunately the "QB whisperer" bloom is off the rose for Herman and the losing just makes it worse.

I don't think I agree with your last sentence.  Sam has had a damn fine first three years at Texas.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Uh.. Sam didn't exactly suck this year and his growth has been pretty impressive even by CTJ's waterhead scale standards. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh, that's not really saying anything. Should be standard practice for all positions to be an open competition every single offseason. If you have a stud who is a great player then he'll win that open competition. If he doesn't win it, then he wasn't a stud.

I don't disagree.  And I'm sure every coaching staff in America tells that to their entire team every year.  And I'm sure they are trying to sell CT on that.  But for a website to report it as inside info, when odds of CT starting game 1 absent a Sam injury are probably like 1000=1, it just made me roll my eyes. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't think I agree with your last sentence.  Sam has had a damn fine first three years at Texas.

he regressed this year IMO. yes he is a very good QB and is definitely better than his freshman year.

I guess what I should have said is that a really good transfer QB is going to look at about 10 other schools/coaches than Herman.    We are losing games and yes Sam isn't anywhere near a major part of the problem.  he had a couple bad games.  perception is reality.  perception is Herman aint all that anymore.

Meyer trashing him on Fox every weekend doesn't help.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't disagree.  And I'm sure every coaching staff in America tells that to their entire team every year.  And I'm sure they are trying to sell CT on that.  But for a website to report it as inside info, when odds of CT starting game 1 absent a Sam injury are probably like 1000=1, it just made me roll my eyes. 

exactly.

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So with an open QB comp all the time, with limited practices do you split all your 1st team reps evenly among your incumbent starter, backup, and 3rd string guys for the competition? 

That's what makes it even more ridiculous. If the offense wasn't changing, you could give the backup plenty of first string reps in the name of 'competition'.  But with a new system those reps are going to be pretty important for everyone.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Is Former Rugers coach Chris Ash currently in AUstin interviewing for Texas' vacan defensive coordinator position, according to anyone's sources?

Apparently, no and yes. Or both - he's Schrodinger's DC. Or a quantum DC and there is a probability that he is and isn't.

• Like 1

If Herman hires Chris Ash we're doomed.  As far as I can tell, the dude had one good season...as a Co-coordinator...everywhere he was DC before that the defense actually got worse. 

Their head coaching tenures, would suggest Luke Fickell was doing most of the heavy lifting with those Ohio State teams.  

I really hope the rumors of him being the lead candidate are false.  

33 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he regressed this year IMO. yes he is a very good QB and is definitely better than his freshman year.

Agree with this. More "WTF?" moments with sailing balls or skipping them to receivers. Not getting it out in front of them over the middle/down the seem, letting dbs catch up. Some interesting decisions with his feet. Maybe a little hesitation when there used to not be.

Not sure how much to credit coaching. But, whatever...

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If Herman hires Chris Ash we're doomed.  As far as I can tell, the dude had one good season...as a Co-coordinator...everywhere he was DC before that the defense actually got worse. 

Their head coaching tenures, would suggest Luke Fickell was doing most of the heavy lifting with those Ohio State teams.  

Pretty sure the stats that were posted previously in this thread show different. The good news is our defense can't really get much more bad.

27 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive been clamoring for Morris all season after the turnaround hes done at UIW

When Morris joined Kliff at Tech in 2013 he was Co OC with Sonny Cumbie. I understand that early that season Kliff told Cumbie to stop talking on the headset during games, that he only wanted to hear from Morris. Cumbie left for TCU at the end of that year. 

Morris continued as OC during the Mahomes era. He took the IW job when the Bro Coaching alliance at Tech was coming to an end. 

He played for Leach, coached under Sumlin at UH, then back with Leach at WSU, then Tech and IW. Had he chosen to go to a larger school after Tech he very well could have been the leading candidate at the beginning of this search. He chose to take a head job at a smaller school with very little history of success. He had performed well in that role. I think Eric Morris would be a great hire if Harrell doesn't make a decision quickly.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well thats just false.

He was the DC at Wisconsin in 2011 & 2012 - both years they gave up fewer ppg than in 2010  (he had a top 20 defense in points allowed both seasons).

He was the DC at Arkansas in 2013 - they did give up .6 more ppg than the 2012 team (they finished 89th in points allowed).

He was the DC (co) at Ohio St in 2014 & 2015  - both teams gave up fewer ppg than the 2013 team.  The 2015 team was 2nd in the nation in points allowed. the 2014 team was 26th in the nation.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Super k walking back his Harrell confidence as well now 

When was this? I wish they would time stamp their updates on the Open Post.

There was an update to the Open Post today saying:

***Was just told that it’s looking very likely that Harrell will take the Texas job. Was told that the offer is just too good to pass up.

***I gather that the only thing pending right now is a potential counter-offer from USC but if you factor in tax differences and cost of living, USC is going to have get him somewhere near what Helton, himself, is making

Edited by saul silver
update format and quote

3 minutes ago, saul silver said:

***Was just told that it’s looking very likely that Harrell will take the Texas job. Was told that the offer is just too good to pass up.

***I gather that the only thing pending right now is a potential counter-offer from USC but if you factor in tax differences and cost of living, USC is going to have get him somewhere near what Helton, himself, is making

I believe this update is from several days ago. He just posted on the unpaid open post today. The newest update might be on the other side of the wall...LOL

2 minutes ago, Moliniao said:

I believe this update is from several days ago. He just posted on the unpaid open post today. The newest update might be on the other side of the wall...LOL

It was on the open post that was posted today. Again, i'm not sure when the update was posted since there aren't any time stamps. 

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/12/open-post-weekend-december-6th-8th/

11 minutes ago, saul silver said:

This was a donor update 

2 minutes ago, saul silver said:

It was on the open post that was posted today. Again, i'm not sure when the update was posted since there aren't any time stamps. 

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/12/open-post-weekend-december-6th-8th/

I have been on TFB since they started the site. I am pretty sure for the Friday open post on the unpaid side, they just post some updates for each week from the paid side now. Generally, those information are several days' delay.

12 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Agree with this. More "WTF?" moments with sailing balls or skipping them to receivers. Not getting it out in front of them over the middle/down the seem, letting dbs catch up. Some interesting decisions with his feet. Maybe a little hesitation when there used to not be.

Not sure how much to credit coaching. But, whatever...

IMO, he started not trusting his OL(his eyes started looking at the rush more) and also I believe he was trying to not run/scramble as much as well as opposing DC's scheming against him taking off.

Losing CJ hurt him as well.  he had 2 guys he could really trust.

his deep ball didn't really improve over last year, which I wasn't expecting.

anyway, Sam is not the issue, it was just me saying he didn't improve over last year that much really and losing CJ for certain games didn't help.  Epps had frying pan hands most of the year, Eagles was in and out, Smith ended up being non existent the 5 games before Tech.

that and the O being pantsed by TCU/ISU/Baylor has taken all the Mastermind/QB whisperer marketing away from Herman.  He's just another coach that has been exposed as likely not being what everyone thought he was.

5 minutes ago, saul silver said:

I mean, it is an update, from the 6th-8th open post, 

"***Was just told that it’s looking very likely that Harrell will take the Texas job. Was told that the offer is just too good to pass up."

I can see how that is confusing if this is indeed old information. That is annoying, if it is. 

Edited by UncleBuck

I haven't seen this posted - its from the TFB open post - putting it here just because it gives us some additional names to speculate on for DC:

Quick-Hitter | DC Note & Speculation
– Super K

***Sorry, still don’t have a name for you all. I’m waiting for a call back from someone who may be able to help me. But if the meeting I was told about does occur today then I imagine it’ll get out in short order.

***I did check with someone very close to Barry Odom and was told very simply, “I have a hard time seeing Barry in Texas”. This person would know.

But as the Odom family is originally from Oklahoma, I’m going to ask James to check as well for extra confirmation. My gut tells me Odom may already have a spot…

***Gotta wonder, if Saban is looking at Odom for the DC spot which could put Pete Golding back on the market.

***I did mention earlier this week that I heard Texas had reached out to Odom’s DC, Ryan Walters. Same source who knows Odom also knows Walters and said, “Ryan would be a great fit. He’s a chameleon. Very knowledgeable and relatable to just about everyone”.

***I reached out to Ryan myself to see how far things have gotten. Haven’t heard back.

***Also, I was told that Georgia was a staff Herman was looking at in his DC search. I know the Texas staff has visited Georgia to learn about their recruiting process.

***Georgia’s current DC is Dan Lanning. If Herman is trying to get younger guys in here (and I believe that might be needed), Lanning fits the bill. He’s also a linebackers coach like Orlando was. And, Lanning isn’t making anywhere near what Texas can pay him. In fact Orlando was making more than Mel Tucker was at Georgia.

***That also leads me to think of ILB coach and co-DC, Glen Schumann. Schumann was actually a player personnel guy under Saban at Bama and was one of Kirby’s first hires at Georgia. He was recently promoted to co-DC.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I mean, it is an update, from the 6th-8th open post, 

"***Was just told that it’s looking very likely that Harrell will take the Texas job. Was told that the offer is just too good to pass up."

I can see how that is confusing if this is indeed old information. That is annoying, if it is. 

The part you quoted was the part from 2 days ago. The stuff earlier in the article is more recent. Since they are rather contradictory. 

• Like 1

TFB latest

Spoiler

Coaching Changes | Sourcing on the OC StuffBy: Super KPosted on: December 6, 2019

Just wanted to make a quick note here on some of the OC sourcing and why my own tone changed…

***Earlier in the week I mentioned that Texas would offer Harrell in the ballpark of a 2 million per year. But the tone of what I wrote read to most of you (and it was how intended) as still somewhat skeptical that Graham would take the job.

***My reason for the tone was two-fold. One, was as I mentioned, I had heard from a pretty reliable source that Harrell might be hesitant to coach with Herman. But I noted that the money could make the difference.

***The second was that I checked with a source inside the building at SC who seemed confident that Harrell would stay.

***Yesterday, my tone changed and I noted that I was hearing Harrell is more likely to go citing the money as the primary motivator.

***That was followed by some reports from the SC side that he is likely stay.

***I’ve dug around and it seems (and obviously I can’t be certain but I’m wagering an educated guess) that the feeling of confidence from the SC side is for the same reason I felt skeptical of Harrell leaving in the first place – specifically, that folks inside the building are getting the vibe from Harrell that he’s staying.

***In fact, one person I spoke with noted that he was recruiting all day yesterday.

***But as one Texas source said, “Do you expect him not to keep doing his job?”

***My best guess is that if all things are equal in terms of money, Harrell probably remains at USC and so I think what we are probably waiting on is what SC is going to do to counter Texas offer. How close SC needs to get to keep Harrell, I have no clue.

***I do also want to note that I’m trying to be as transparent as I can with you all through this process. I’m sure you can imagine how difficult it is trying to piece this all together when so much of what is going on is not only kept quiet but the parties involved are either deciding something inside their own minds and in the four walls of their homes or intentionally trying to keep everyone in play for leverage.

***So, I’ll continue to just pass on what I hear, as I hear it.

***Also, I’ll note that my original note on the offer made by Texas came from a source out in California (on the SC side) and I feel pretty confident in said source.

Edited by nycHorn
bitchin
  • Like 5

For Dark Mode

Coaching Changes | Sourcing on the OC StuffBy: Super KPosted on: December 6, 2019

Just wanted to make a quick note here on some of the OC sourcing and why my own tone changed…

***Earlier in the week I mentioned that Texas would offer Harrell in the ballpark of a 2 million per year. But the tone of what I wrote read to most of you (and it was how intended) as still somewhat skeptical that Graham would take the job.

***My reason for the tone was two-fold. One, was as I mentioned, I had heard from a pretty reliable source that Harrell might be hesitant to coach with Herman. But I noted that the money could make the difference.

***The second was that I checked with a source inside the building at SC who seemed confident that Harrell would stay.

***Yesterday, my tone changed and I noted that I was hearing Harrell is more likely to go citing the money as the primary motivator.

***That was followed by some reports from the SC side that he is likely stay.

***I’ve dug around and it seems (and obviously I can’t be certain but I’m wagering an educated guess) that the feeling of confidence from the SC side is for the same reason I felt skeptical of Harrell leaving in the first place – specifically, that folks inside the building are getting the vibe from Harrell that he’s staying.

***In fact, one person I spoke with noted that he was recruiting all day yesterday.

***But as one Texas source said, “Do you expect him not to keep doing his job?”

***My best guess is that if all things are equal in terms of money, Harrell probably remains at USC and so I think what we are probably waiting on is what SC is going to do to counter Texas offer. How close SC needs to get to keep Harrell, I have no clue.

***I do also want to note that I’m trying to be as transparent as I can with you all through this process. I’m sure you can imagine how difficult it is trying to piece this all together when so much of what is going on is not only kept quiet but the parties involved are either deciding something inside their own minds and in the four walls of their homes or intentionally trying to keep everyone in play for leverage.

***So, I’ll continue to just pass on what I hear, as I hear it.

***Also, I’ll note that my original note on the offer made by Texas came from a source out in California (on the SC side) and I feel pretty confident in said source.

• Like 2