2020 Coaching Staff

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Except he knows exactly what he has under Helton. Namely, autonomy over the offense. If he likes the talent he has coming back next year, why make a risky move?

Why is it risky?  It’s fucking Texas.

• Like 1

Why is it risky?  It’s fucking Texas.

And if you think about it, staying in the situation he's in right now is a risk within itself. And it's not like there are a ton of risk-free lateral moves out there he'd be turning down.

Coaches take chances. Not sure why this is being viewed as some new concept Harrell would be exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Except he knows exactly what he has under Helton. Namely, autonomy over the offense. If he likes the talent he has coming back next year, why make a risky move?

Maybe because he knows exactly what he has under Helton.

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If you were Harrell why would you roll the dice with Tom Herman and Texas?

If you believe there’s more talent on the roster. If your recruiting currently sucks but Texas recruiting is still good. If your long term goal is to coach in Texas and you want to maintain and build relationships. If you don’t want to work for a school with a condom for a mascot.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

If you believe there’s more talent on the roster. If your recruiting currently sucks but Texas recruiting is still good. If your long term goal is to coach in Texas and you want to maintain and build relationships. If you don’t want to work for a school with a condom for a mascot.

Counterpoint: You’re making a big bet on your future and banking on Tom Herman ceding control of offensive philosophy and handing it to you. I don’t think it’s a smart move on his part, but hey, I hope he makes it.

Your inner satyagash is showing. 

Texas has better players coming back and USC recruiting isn't even good enough to come close to being in the shitter. USC fans are in full revolt and there will be almost no support next year. The 2020 Texas OC job is undeniably more appealing than the 2020 USC OC job. The only reason to choose the USC position would be fear of change. And if the only reason you can come up with to work somewhere is that you already work there, then that's a shitty reason. 

Nothing about this means Texas is a great spot to be. It merely requires the slightest recognition of what a shitshow USC is right now. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Kinda crazy and a little sad we are desperately fighting over the former offensive coordinator from the University of North Texas. Herman was supposed to be the offensive genius but has delivered nothing but shit and concussions.

Every coach is the former something of some shit school. But Harrell now has put up numbers at a shit school and at a big school.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Your inner satyagash is showing. 

Texas has better players coming back and USC recruiting isn't even good enough to come close to being in the shitter. USC fans are in full revolt and there will be almost no support next year. The 2020 Texas OC job is undeniably more appealing than the 2020 USC OC job. The only reason to choose the USC position would be fear of change. And if the only reason you can come up with to work somewhere is that you already work there, then that's a shitty reason. 

So if Harrell says no thanks, you think he’s making a big mistake in doing so?

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

Kinda crazy and a little sad we are desperately fighting over the former offensive coordinator from the University of North Texas. Herman was supposed to be the offensive genius but has delivered nothing but shit and concussions.

Perhaps we're hoping that he's half as good as the the former offensive coordinator of East Carolina.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Deviltry in details. What If - Harrell works well, but only up to the point that MensaTom allows, so things are not as wonderful as might be hoped. What then are Harrell's moves this time next year?

You’re drunk, but you’re on my level. I think Harrell understands his biggest challenge at Texas isn’t getting a group of players to move the ball down the field. It’s working under Tom Herman and being allowed to own his unit of the team. If I’m him, I wouldn’t bet I would be given the autonomy to do my job.

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Deviltry in details. What If - Harrell works well, but only up to the point that MensaTom allows, so things are not as wonderful as might be hoped. What then are Harrell's moves this time next year?

Apply for the head coaching jobs he's interviewed for here, be an OC somewhere else, sit back and enjoy the 6 mill guaranteed money, use his connections to get a job that keeps him in the part of the country he likes.....So what if Tom Flames out next year, that isn't gonna stain Harrel.  Heck Kliff got fired by his alma mater and got an NFL head coaching job.  He has no risk here.  Suppose he stays in USC and the talent level goes down and the depth goes down and they aren't able to repeat the offense of this year and Clay gets canned.  He's in a lot worse position than coaching for Herman when Tom gets canned, because the blame for offensive failures is totally his, at Texas he has an excuse he had only been there a single season and Tom meddled.

Edited by TexasRenegade

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You’re drunk, but you’re on my level. I think Harrell understands his biggest challenge at Texas isn’t getting a group of players to move the ball down the field. It’s working under Tom Herman and being allowed to own his unit of the team. If I’m him, I wouldn’t bet I would be given the autonomy to do my job.

I mean he did let Tim beck call plays at one point

In Harrell's place, I believe I'd take the (alleged) 3 year guaranteed 6 Megabux, and make damned sure to document any meddling. Guessing Herman won't fit him for a Beck saddle of co-co'ing, assume he gets his own pick of receiver coaches, maybe OL too. So little info on Drayton, I'm assuming he stays, particularly if we land Bijan... but, man, I haven't been overly impressed with the RB room exploits.

32 minutes ago, F250 said:

Hey it’s a step up from sending the president of the university to fucking Tulsa 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XForce said:

There’s a reason why a lot of really good OCs sit upstairs. Herman’s even said he prefers calling plays from the booth. I’d be ok if Herman was up in the booth and plus he can drink up there. Shit man, it doesn’t get any better than that. Give McConnaughey the headset and this shit will get turned around. And turnt up. Prove me wrong. 

Let him call plays as HC in the booth.  Spend another $6M for a DC who is also coHC for the field.  Profit. 

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

I have a gut feeling that if we land Harrell, we will be getting our own version of Lincoln Riley.  When Herman inevitably gets shitcanned, Harrell takes over and away we go.  To me I'm just getting those vibes the more I read about the guy.

Agree.  This might be the Best Case scenario for Texas... otherwise, if Harrell stays only for a short time then Texas offense would be going thru too many changes again...I

Consistency in offense at Clemson and blOU over the last 4-5yrs has really helped those programs.

Edited by LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

In Harrell's place, I believe I'd take the (alleged) 3 year guaranteed 6 Megabux, and make damned sure to document any meddling. Guessing Herman won't fit him for a Beck saddle of co-co'ing, assume he gets his own pick of receiver coaches, maybe OL too. So little info on Drayton, I'm assuming he stays, particularly if we land Bijan... but, man, I haven't been overly impressed with the RB room exploits.

This documenting idea is the winner.  Because look at toms mentor, Mack, the big meddler, deciding to go big running game after rose bowl loss.  Tom has to give in to idea to let Harrell run all of offense, and if he meddles at all he’s gone.  

11 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is some unfounded bs, though. They have never coached together and don't have much (if any) coaching personnel overlap. All reports of their meeting indicate it went well. "Herman is hard to work with" is an abstract concept fueled by message boards, and if Harrell is thinking about it than it was communicated to him by someone who was fired by TH and Harrell probably doesn't actually know that person well enough to take their opinion as fact.

Eh, 5 days ago Herman had never fired a single person, ever.   

This is known. And it’s one of the reasons I believe mensa should be fired before the bowl game. He’s a fraud. But since we’re Texas and slow to make a bold move, he gets another year to dick around. I’ll excuse myself to the Fire thread in 3, 2, 1.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Remind me again where Lincoln Riley was before OU?

• Like 2