2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Eric Nahlin: Harrell Watch! 12/7/19

I believe Harrell punctuated his meeting with Tom Herman on Wednesday by giving the Texas head coach the feeling he was UT bound. The source who intimated this is confident the meeting was a runaway success. I will say that Harrell was clear with Herman he still needed to talk to his family and USC. On Friday afternoon, the LA Times reported USC offered Harrell a new contract. The figures aren't known, but rest assured it was a big offer as the USC brass are under tremendous pressure to keep Harrell while a rabid fan base and donor group looks every bit like Texas circa 2013-2014.

As I've written, I don't believe Harrell's decision will come down to money because he's getting paid regardless. If USC wins out, they just made a better case, and probably did an excellent job playing up the loyalty angle to good guy Clay Helton and favored son Kedon Slovis. Last night, Herman remained proactive by attending the Ennis vs Aledo playoff game, won narrowly by Aledo. Normally coaches pop in and out of high school games, but Herman was there early and stayed for a while after. I can't confirm whether or not he talked to Sam Harrell, Ennis' head coach and Graham's father, but clearly it wasn't a coincidence he took in his first Ennis game in his time at Texas (that I can recall, anyway).

A side benefit to attending the game was to recruit 2021 receiver JoJo Earle. He also gave Jase McClellan an 'I see you out there' fist bump after the game. McClellan seems locked into OU still. With the 2020 recruiting cycle coming to a close, Herman's biggest fish is Harrell. We believe that Herman and UT have Harrell's family on his side in wanting the former Texas Tech quarterback to return to the Lone Star state. That doesn't hurt and may carry the day.

If Harrell elects to stay in Southern California we'll get to see who the other candidates are. We know there are contingencies because I finally heard a sourced name and because of course there are contingencies. I have no idea how long and distinguished the list is but Eliah Drinkwitz from Appalachian State is on it. Who, what, huh? Drinkwitz, who looks more like an accountant, makes sense as someone who operates a functioning Tom Herman-ish offense. The most notable thing here is Texas has a list. I'm curious who else is on it. I don't imagine Drinkwitz is at the top.

Hopefully we find out who the other candidates are, but only as a minor footnote to the Harrell to Texas story.

• Like 1

I get that he’s better than what we have but I still don’t get why we’re treating Harrell as if he’s a slam-dunk guarantee, hottest girl at the prom kinda hire.   In contrast, I get that Ash would be the “echo chamber” comfort hire at DC, but his resume looks as good (if not better than) Harrell’s to me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get that he’s better than what we have but I still don’t get why we’re treating Harrell as if he’s a slam-dunk guarantee, hottest girl at the prom kinda hire.   In contrast, I get that Ash would be the “echo chamber” comfort hire at DC, but his resume looks as good (if not better than) Harrell’s to me. 

As far as OCs go - Harrell is about as good as you’re going to get. Most successful OCs, with longer resumes, are already Head Coaches. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

As far as OCs go - Harrell is about as good as you’re going to get. Most successful OCs, with longer resumes, are already Head Coaches. 

Fair enough I guess FWTW.  He just doesn’t light me on fire enough to justify how we seem to be bending over and spreading for him. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Drinkwitz is an interesting name - he’s a Malzahn disciple who has put together a pretty impressive resume in a short time. Spent some time with Harsin at Boise St. and killed it this year at App St as Head Coach. 

If he's the HC at App St, why would he come here as an OC? 

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The longer Harrell to Texas drags on, the less likely it is to happen. Herman needs, and I assume has asked for, an answer ASAP. We need an OC in the worst way to try and salvage the recruiting class.

/hot take

Harrell will most likely give Herman his answer by tomorrow...

Maybe I’m being hopeful but I think we get Harrell. While we bitch about Herman I think Helton is on a hotter seat. I think Urban told them no so they are giving Helton one more year so they can do a search. As for Harrell we are closer to family, his natural recruiting area and can offer up as much or more money in a state that offers better tax and COL. If he turns us down that would be a big indication of the feeling the coaching community has of Herman. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Call your shot...what do you think he’s going to say?

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Needs to go to church first?

Just my opinion, but Harrell doesn't want to make the loser (whether Texas or USC) look bad so he'll decide by tomorrow... as for Church question the answer is Maybe 😄  

My guess is Harrell ends up at Texas because USC administration is a mess, and Graham wants to get back to the Lone Star State...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I say no....because; I really think he would help our offense, and the ways things are going why would something good happen?

That question is driving a lot of my negativity, but I think he says no thanks. Until proven otherwise, I’m going to continue to believe Herman will fuck this up.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

My biggest concern is how the two will mesh. If Herman’s ego doesn’t allow Graham to work, then it won’t work. 

This is my concern and depending on how Harrell handled the interview process (and if I’m him, I’m the one asking most of the questions), I wonder if red flags were raised that makes Harrell question whether or not he’ll truly be set up for success here.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m convinced he has a keen offensive mind working under Leach and would be a great asset. I also think Herman has a keen offensive mind and am not convinced he was the problem for us in a successful, but not quite as successful as expected, sputtering offense this year.  My biggest concern is how the two will mesh. If Herman’s ego doesn’t allow Graham to work, then it won’t work. 

Herman probably wants to learn as much as he can about the in's and outs of Graham's Air-Raid offense. 

Realistically, if Harrell comes to Texas and the Horns are successful then Graham probably leaves in a few years for a Head Coaching job.  Herman should always have a succession plan for his assistants, so it's best for Mensa to get along and learn as much as he can while Graham is here.  I'm sure Harrell also hopes to glean a few new offensive ideas from Herman.  If you add Harrell & Traylor together to the coaching staff, the new Texas offense could be really fun to watch.

Edited by LTtxfan

Why would we pay through the nose to bring a guy in to run the same shit we’ve been watching?

The number of people who think Harrell would be coming in to run what Tom wants him to is baffling. Tom is Tom and say what you want about him, but he wouldn't be wasting Harrell's, and his own time if that were the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If Ed Orgeron is smart enough to keep himself from meddling with his OCs work, I have to believe Herman is as well.

Orgeron is just smart enough to know he’s not the smartest. Tom is either dumb enough to believe he is the smartest, or smart enough to believe that. 

• Like 1

Seeing both Baylor and OU get pressure with a three man rush makes you wonder whether Giles is the bigger issue than Orlando. Burt pointed out all year that the weak rush was making it impossible for Orlando to scheme success.

If you can get real pressure with three guys, that changes everything for the defense. Everything. I’ll admit I was constantly pushing for a four man rush, but primarily because I never saw our three man rush get there. It never occurred to me you actually could.

Orgeron is smart enough to know he’s a fucking idiot. While smarter than Coach O, Herman does not have that self-awareness to know he doesn’t know it all. This is our concern Dude. 

Couch O never has the head set on lol he’s just there. If it is on he’s never using it. I’d do the same if I had coordinators like him.

59 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If Ed Orgeron is smart enough to keep himself from meddling with his OCs work, I have to believe Herman is as well.

Ed Orgeron has been a defensive guy all his life.  

Herman has been an offensive guy, and not that long ago, was know for being a hotshot OC with his own system.  

How can you equate those two likelihoods?

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Seeing both Baylor and OU get pressure with a three man rush makes you wonder whether Giles is the bigger issue than Orlando. Burt pointed out all year that the weak rush was making it impossible for Orlando to scheme success.

If you can get real pressure with three guys, that changes everything for the defense. Everything. I’ll admit I was constantly pushing for a four man rush, but primarily because I never saw our three man rush get there. It never occurred to me you actually could.

Lulz. Baylor and OU don't deploy their DL for the intended purpose to occupy blockers. When Texas allowed their DE's to play 5 technique against Tech, they wrecked havoc.

• Like 4