2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. Baylor and OU don't deploy their DL for the intended purpose to occupy blockers. When Texas allowed their DE's to play 5 technique against Tech, they wrecked havoc.

We forget how dominant Poona was. We were pretty good against the run when the center was always getting pushed five yards into the backfield.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Drinkwitz is an interesting name - he’s a Malzahn disciple who has put together a pretty impressive resume in a short time. Spent some time with Harsin at Boise St. and killed it this year at App St as Head Coach. 

He would be a great get. We have options if Harrell wants to pussy foot at sc. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Seeing both Baylor and OU get pressure with a three man rush makes you wonder whether Giles is the bigger issue than Orlando. Burt pointed out all year that the weak rush was making it impossible for Orlando to scheme success.

If you can get real pressure with three guys, that changes everything for the defense. Everything. I’ll admit I was constantly pushing for a four man rush, but primarily because I never saw our three man rush get there. It never occurred to me you actually could.

Lack of pressure from our front has less to do with the DL coaching or talent and more to do with Orlando’s scheme. How often did you see our best pass rusher actually rushing the passer?  Most downs he seemingly was back-pedaling 15 yards down field. 

Orlando was more interested in scheming up exotic blitzes than he was in allowing our big guys go and try to whoop ass of the guy across from them. 

As for Giles - I mean, he did coach back to back Big12 DL of the year. Some of that was being lucky enough to inherit Poona - but I do think Oscar was a big part of Omenihu’s success

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Lack of pressure from our front has less to do with the DL coaching or talent and more to do with Orlando’s scheme. How often did you see our best pass rusher actually rushing the passer?  Most downs he seemingly was back-pedaling 15 yards down field.  Orlando was more interested in scheming up exotic blitzes than he was in allowing our big guys go and try to whoop ass of the guy across from them. As for Giles - I mean, he did coach back to back Big12 DL of the year. Some of that was being lucky enough to inherit Poona - but I do think Oscar was a big part of Omenihu’s success

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Lack of pressure from our front has less to do with the DL coaching or talent and more to do with Orlando’s scheme. How often did you see our best pass rusher actually rushing the passer?  Most downs he seemingly was back-pedaling 15 yards down field. 

Orlando was more interested in scheming up exotic blitzes than he was in allowing our big guys go and try to whoop ass of the guy across from them. 

As for Giles - I mean, he did coach back to back Big12 DL of the year. Some of that was being lucky enough to inherit Poona - but I do think Oscar was a big part of Omenihu’s success

It’s pretty incredible the degree to which Orlando lost his mind this year. He would at least line up Omenihu at a wide tech on obvious passing downs last year. This year, he never even gave any of our guys a chance until second half against Tech. Bimage won on a beautiful inside move that was only possible because he finally got to line up outside the OT. 

Well according to a staffer at USC247 we're considering Chris Ash for OC....

USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell has interviewed with Texas. He has not yet been offered the job.

It is believed Texas would offer him as much as $2 million per year. Former Rutgers coach Chris Ash and LSU offensive coordinator Joe Brady are also candidates for the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Seeing both Baylor and OU get pressure with a three man rush makes you wonder whether Giles is the bigger issue than Orlando. Burt pointed out all year that the weak rush was making it impossible for Orlando to scheme success.

If you can get real pressure with three guys, that changes everything for the defense. Everything. I’ll admit I was constantly pushing for a four man rush, but primarily because I never saw our three man rush get there. It never occurred to me you actually could.

Watching the gooners and Baylor DL, it looks like they just play harder and faster. 

True. Ossai was my favorite recruit from that class and it was disappointing to see him sprinting everywhere in coverage. I wonder what we would have had with Ossai as one of three down linemen lined up like Baylor and let loose. That seems like such a simple adjustment to his scheme. I can’t believe the guy lost his job before figuring that out.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Harrell Watch! 12/7/19

I don’t necessarily agree that GH is not motivated by money. As some of you will remember, he rented a relatively modest apartment as an NFL rookie, and furnished it with a TV and a bean bag (slight exaggeration). Apparently, he wanted to save as much of his rookie money as he could because he’s not financially stupid. Some see that as not being materialistic, and some see that as him knowing that the money tree may not always bear the same abundance. 

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I don’t necessarily agree that GH is not motivated by money. As some of you will remember, he rented a relatively modest apartment as an NFL rookie, and furnished it with a TV and a bean bag (slight exaggeration). Apparently, he wanted to save as much of his rookie money as he could because he’s not financially stupid. Some see that as not being materialistic, and some see that as him knowing that the money tree may not always bear the same abundance. 

I remember reading that. Smart move on his part, looking back. 

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s pretty incredible the degree to which Orlando lost his mind this year. He would at least line up Omenihu at a wide tech on obvious passing downs last year. This year, he never even gave any of our guys a chance until second half against Tech. Bimage won on a beautiful inside move that was only possible because he finally got to line up outside the OT. 

Ironically, that second half adjustment probably contributed to him getting fired. I’d bet a large sum on it.  The subtext of those post game comments made by Roach were damning. It made me want to strangle TO and I bet TH felt the same.

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Ironically, that second half adjustment probably contributed to him getting fired. I’d bet a large sum on it.  The subtext of those post game comments made by Roach were damning. It made me want to strangle TO and I bet TH felt the same.

Can you expound on this?

If Herman believes his offensive scheme is more suited to holistic success than the air raid derivatives, why wouldn’t he just take over at OC? He knows his ass is on the line so why doesn’t he try to save himself?

As much of a failure Herman is in terms of his soft skills, I do believe in his offensive philosophies more than the Leach tree.

Get a DC and ST coach you can hand off to completely and fix/optimize the offense yourself.

Just now, Old Freak Nasty said:

If Herman believes his offensive scheme is more suited to holistic success than the air raid derivatives, why wouldn’t he just take over at OC? He knows his ass is on the line so why doesn’t he try to save himself?

As much of a failure Herman is in terms of his soft skills, I do believe in his offensive philosophies more than the Leach tree.

Get a DC and ST coach you can hand off to completely and fix/optimize the offense yourself.

That's what he did this year.  It didn't work.

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The longer Harrell to Texas drags on, the less likely it is to happen. Herman needs, and I assume has asked for, an answer ASAP. We need an OC in the worst way to try and salvage the recruiting class.

/hot take

Counter-point: he’s not shutting down the rumors or doing USC any favors by letting this drag out. My hot take: he’s genuinely torn.

4 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Calling my shot. Harrell is in. Announced after big 12 championship game today. I have no sources like Anwar. 

spacer.png

If Herman believes his offensive scheme is more suited to holistic success than the air raid derivatives, why wouldn’t he just take over at OC?

Because he’s the HC, not the OC. If memory serves, Gundy tried to do this early in his stint at OSU. Finally figured out that the HC needs to actually be the HC, not have his head buried in the offense and ignoring everything else. If Herman is going to be successful next year he needs to make a good hire and get out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

The amount of people that think Harrell would come in and run a full blown Leach air raid is astounding. Leach is the only one who runs a Leach air raid where running the ball is optional. Every disciple to come from his tree at least attempts a balanced attack. 

Right. USC ran the ball something like 49% of thebtime this year. He would mesh his offense with Herman’s to some degree. And I think that would be awesome. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Can you expound on this?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-bottom-line-am-1300-th-27879803/episode/the-bottom-line-53348498?cmp=ios_share&sc=ios_social_share&pr=false

starts around the 27:00 min mark.  Warning, it will make you want to throw things.

Edited by CurlyDumps

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Why?

Because not every coach is all about money. And other than money there's no reason for him to leave Baylor. He can obviously get them in a position to win so why leave. As much as we'd like to believe it, Texas isn't the end all and be all for all coaches or recruits. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

The amount of people that think Harrell would come in and run a full blown Leach air raid is astounding. Leach is the only one who runs a Leach air raid where running the ball is optional. Every disciple to come from his tree at least attempts a balanced attack. 

Eric Morris is the closest to the Leach Air Raid.

• Like 1

Because not every coach is all about money. And other than money there's no reason for him to leave Baylor. He can obviously get them in a position to win so why leave. As much as we'd like to believe it, Texas isn't the end all and be all for all coaches or recruits. 

So you don’t have a real reason, thanks.

38 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah. Omenihu has been critical of Orlando  too. He put his players in terrible positions over and over and all the players knew it. 

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Right. USC ran the ball something like 49% of thebtime this year. He would mesh his offense with Herman’s to some degree. And I think that would be awesome. 

USC averaged 39 passes and 31 runs per game, so 44%, including sacks. Still, relatively balanced and USC’s OL kind of sucked so they were forced into passing pretty often. 

UNT ran it 47% with sacks in 2018. So overall, there’s not a whole lot to worry about re balance. I don’t love all of Harrell’s run calls but that’s a different issue. I actually think adding some of Herman’s concepts to Harrell’s offense could smooth out the edges quite a bit, if they could actually mesh the two concepts.

• Like 2