2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

That’s what they portrayed but Gus wasn’t happy with him and didn’t want to fire his protege. He got him a soft landing spot kind of like what Herman tried to do with a couple coaches last year. Think about it, who goes from Auburn to UConn to SMU? I’m not saying he couldn’t make a good OC, but why wouldn’t he have left for a somewhat equal gig if he was a good coordinator?

because everyone was always going to assume, probably rightly so, that it was Malzahn's show. He had to leave to ever have a chance to show he could run an offense himself. I'm not sure he's managed to do that but he's certainly a reasonable option to bring aboard the SS Tomtanic.

Edited by Llogg

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Is Lashlee actually running Sonny’s offense?  I saw some Malzahn flavor in their attack, but is that window dressing added to Sonny’s own very credible offensive resume or is Rhett actually in control?

I saw an article where Dykes called it an Air Raid meshed with the Power Spread. I haven’t seen enough SMU to know just how much of each they’re running - but I did get the impression Lashlee is running the offense. 

Lashlee was was one of 15 semi-finalists for the Broyle’s Award this season. 

8 minutes ago, Llogg said:

because everyone was always going to assume, probably rightly so, that it was Malzahn's show. He had to leave to ever have a chance to show he could run an offense himself. I'm not sure he's managed to do that but he's certainly a reasonable option to bring aboard the SS Tomtanic.

I just remember the season he left, Gus was consistently staring at him angrily on the sidelines and the speculation began early that Lashlee was gone.

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

Has Lashlee ever been a play caller? 

That Iowa St. DC seems well thought of. Is he on our radar? 

He definitely was at UConn and I believe he calls plays at SMU. 

Have to believe Lashlee would retain Hand and maybe Samples is a Cow/Calf deal. 

With Blake B. An analyst at SMU - wonder what that means for his two boys recruitment. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

50 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Lets just hire Chad Morris as the OC. Herman a fucking Hermit. He is the best OC on the market.

Based on what?  Because he’s a familiar name to you?  Because he was the highest paid coordinator at Clemson before Clemson started really winning anything?  Because he was an average head coach at SMU and a really shitty one at Arky?  Because he used to live in Texas?  Really curious where you’re getting this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin shits on Lashlee, implies a candidate for dc has been offered and we are waiting for them to formally accept.

Based on prior IT info, this could be Scalley. It could also be the only known interview, Ash.

Shits on him as a candidate or just as an OC?  I thought the Scalley ship has sailed.

Edited by closetohumping

Saturday, 3:30 pm — We're hearing conflicting things about whether USC's Graham Harrell is staying at USC, waiting to see about possible head-coaching jobs (he's interviewed for UTSA and our USC site reported Harrell interviewed at UNLV) or just taking his time deciding about if wants to be the offensive coordinator at Texas.

Obviously, LSU receivers coach and passing game coordinator Joe Brady is coaching a football game right now (SEC Championship vs Georgia). 

But keep an eye on SMU offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who spent a lot of time on the sideline with Tom Herman and Stan Drayton at the Ennis-Aledo game at The Star in Frisco Friday night and is at the Duncanville-Southlake Carroll game today (Saturday), where Herman and Herb Hand are on hand (to see Texas QB commit Ja'Quinden Jackson). Our Mike Roach is also there and reported seeing Lashlee talking to Hand on the sideline. 

We put Lashlee on our offensive coordinator Hot Board ( https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-offensive-coordinator-hot-board-Tom-Herman-Graham-Harrell-Joe-Brady-139631412/ ) from the beginning, because he oversaw a red-hot SMU offense this season and worked with Hand at Auburn under Gus Malzahn in 2016.

Lashlee called the offensive plays this season for Sonny Dykes' 10-2 SMU team, which finished No. 6 in FBS in scoring (43.0 points per game), No. 12 in passing (309.3 yards per game) and No. 42 in rushing (186.2 ypg, 5.0 ypc) and featured former Longhorn Shane Buechele at quarterback. 

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Seeing both Baylor and OU get pressure with a three man rush makes you wonder whether Giles is the bigger issue than Orlando. Burt pointed out all year that the weak rush was making it impossible for Orlando to scheme success.

If you can get real pressure with three guys, that changes everything for the defense. Everything. I’ll admit I was constantly pushing for a four man rush, but primarily because I never saw our three man rush get there. It never occurred to me you actually could.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. Baylor and OU don't deploy their DL for the intended purpose to occupy blockers. When Texas allowed their DE's to play 5 technique against Tech, they wrecked havoc.

I asked earlier in the season is Orlando's defense a 1-gap or 2-gap defense? I didn't get a serious answer.  Based on @HtownHorn's post looks like I finally have my answer. Orlando's defense was a 2-gap defense.

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin shits on Lashlee, implies a candidate for dc has been offered and we are waiting for them to formally accept.

Based on prior IT info, this could be Scalley. It could also be the only known interview, Ash.

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

IT hasn't said anything new about a DC

What did Nahlin specifically say about Lashlee?

• Fuck You 1

Lashlee could be OK.  I was assuming it would be him(Hand familiarity, can be had from SMU).  IMO, the more important hire is the DC.  If it is Ash, its more sycophant/Herman buddy shit.  see you in 2 years for the firing.  will enjoy the "he's Ass(h), my dude" threads.

For Dark Mode users.

Saturday, 3:30 pm — We're hearing conflicting things about whether USC's Graham Harrell is staying at USC, waiting to see about possible head-coaching jobs (he's interviewed for UTSA and our USC site reported Harrell interviewed at UNLV) or just taking his time deciding about if wants to be the offensive coordinator at Texas.

Obviously, LSU receivers coach and passing game coordinator Joe Brady is coaching a football game right now (SEC Championship vs Georgia). 

But keep an eye on SMU offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who spent a lot of time on the sideline with Tom Herman and Stan Drayton at the Ennis-Aledo game at The Star in Frisco Friday night and is at the Duncanville-Southlake Carroll game today (Saturday), where Herman and Herb Hand are on hand (to see Texas QB commit Ja'Quinden Jackson). Our Mike Roach is also there and reported seeing Lashlee talking to Hand on the sideline. 

We put Lashlee on our offensive coordinator Hot Board ( https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-offensive-coordinator-hot-board-Tom-Herman-Graham-Harrell-Joe-Brady-139631412/ ) from the beginning, because he oversaw a red-hot SMU offense this season and worked with Hand at Auburn under Gus Malzahn in 2016.

Lashlee called the offensive plays this season for Sonny Dykes' 10-2 SMU team, which finished No. 6 in FBS in scoring (43.0 points per game), No. 12 in passing (309.3 yards per game) and No. 42 in rushing (186.2 ypg, 5.0 ypc) and featured former Longhorn Shane Buechele at quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Lashlee would be Chris Ash levels of underwhelming. 

I don't think so, and if you look at the potential combination of Lashlee, Samples, Hand, that could be a really solid core group of offensive coaches with a good working knowledge of scheme between them from the outset. You would have to assume that Drayton is staying for at least another season, so that would leave a TE/WR coach left to hire. 

I remember being in the minority hoping that we hired Lashlee instead of Gilbert with Strong, so I don't really feel that Lashlee as a fallback to Harrell is a bad option and might actually be a smoother transition that would have more immediate recruiting impact to keep the class together.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Meh. This site nailed the Watson hire and pretty much all of Herman’s staff.

this.  IMO, the Herman hire was always a big "meh"/same old shit as well.. but we had hope he'd be a 9-10 win guy, then he brought the UH clown car with him and added Tim Beck and Meh. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think so, and if you look at the potential combination of Lashlee, Samples, Hand, that could be a really solid core group of offensive coaches with a good working knowledge of scheme between them from the outset. You would have to assume that Drayton is staying for at least another season, so that would leave a TE/WR coach left to hire. 

I remember being in the minority hoping that we hired Lashlee instead of Gilbert with Strong, so I don't really feel that Lashlee as a fallback to Harrell is a bad option and might actually be a smoother transition that would have more immediate recruiting impact to keep the class together.  

Call me skeptical, but I'm not exactly confident in Samples' coaching abilities at this point, and certainly not to a point where I think he increases the value of Lashlee as an OC. 

Edited by trythisathome

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

Call me skeptical, but I'm not exactly confident in Sample's coaching abilities at this point, and certainly not to a point where I think he increases the value of Lashlee as an OC. 

How dare you curse Samples name on Surly, are you mad?

So, this is weird. I just opened this thread and skimmed/read at least 100 posts.

Do people really think that a new OC will result in any meaningful difference? Do some of you think that Herman will bring in some great OC and say, “Install whatever system you think is best and run it.”?

Fuck no. The OC, under Herman will always be Herman. Playcalling is not the major flaw in our offense. It’s the entire concept and philosophy, coupled with Herman’s inflexibility regarding tailoring his concepts to actual personnel issues (like running plays that can not work without a solid blocking TE when we do not have one).

Maybe this is a thread derail. I’ll sit back and enjoy Flight Aware posts.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Herman doesn't need someone to set the world on fire to be successful.  What he needs is an OC that can put a competent gameplan for the offense and give it some idea of an identity and to call plays.  So he doesn't have to and so this god damn idea of offense by committee can go away. Lashlee is more than capable of that.  Lashlee is a lot less meh than Joe Brady was a year ago or Ruhle was.

I still think its gonna be Harrell. 

Edited by TexasRenegade

4 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Herman doesn't need someone to set the world on fire to be successful.  What he needs is an OC that can put a competent gameplan for the offense and give it some idea of an identity and to call plays.  So he doesn't have to and so this god damn idea of offense by committee can go away. Lashlee is more than capable of that.  Lashlee is a lot less meh than Joe Brady was a year ago or Ruhle was.

I still think its gonna be Harrell. 

Same on defense. Can’t remember the last time we didn’t look confused out there.