2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

55 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

What did Nahlin specifically say about Lashlee?

IT users were talking about Herman and Lashlee talking at the Duncanville/Southlake game and whether Harrell said no and yada yada

Nahlin: 

Spoiler

"The Old Stogie on Lashlee:

'Really weak. We aren’t going to pussy foot with a page three back up while we are waiting for our guy to formally accept.'"

No idea where anything about a DC came up 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Based on what?  Because he’s a familiar name to you?  Because he was the highest paid coordinator at Clemson before Clemson started really winning anything?  Because he was an average head coach at SMU and a really shitty one at Arky?  Because he used to live in Texas?  Really curious where you’re getting this.

Your joking right. Before he took the head coaching gigs he was considered the best in the business. He was pretty much the one that got Clemson going when Dabo was just Dabo. He also likes to run a similar offense to what Herman and Hand like to do. His resume as OC is outstanding.

Interested in who you want?

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

That’s what they portrayed but Gus wasn’t happy with him and didn’t want to fire his protege. He got him a soft landing spot kind of like what Herman tried to do with a couple coaches last year. Think about it, who goes from Auburn to UConn to SMU? I’m not saying he couldn’t make a good OC, but why wouldn’t he have left for a somewhat equal gig if he was a good coordinator?

This is correct.

3 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Your joking right. Before he took the head coaching gigs he was considered the best in the business. He was pretty much the one that got Clemson going when Dabo was just Dabo. He also likes to run a similar offense to what Herman and Hand like to do. His resume as OC is outstanding.

Interested in who you want?

Not joking at all.  I remember he was the highest paid coordinator in CFB at Clemson 5 years ago.  I also remember that Clemson got considerably better after he left.  I also remember when he was hired at SMU, which seemed to make sense (Texas ties, hot name, etc).  Then I remember that he was fairly average at SMU and that SMU has also gotten considerably better since he left.  Then I seem to remember that his time at Arkansas was a total shit show.

Pretty much on a downward trajectory since he was the flavor of the day at Clemson 5 years ago from what I can tell.  His 5 minutes of fame are up.  Plus I think he’ll probably want to go wherever his son ends up, and Texas hasn’t even offered him so I’m not seeing it happening.

I’d rather have Harrell and it’s not even close.  Probably rather have Lashlee or Brady too.

19 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

IT users were talking about Herman and Lashlee talking at the Duncanville/Southlake game and whether Harrell said no and yada yada

Nahlin: 

Reveal hidden contents

"The Old Stogie on Lashlee:

'Really weak. We aren’t going to pussy foot with a page three back up while we are waiting for our guy to formally accept.'"

No idea where anything about a DC came up 

If Lashlee is page 3, who’s on page 2?

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not joking at all.  I remember he was the highest paid coordinator in CFB at Clemson 5 years ago.  I also remember that Clemson got considerably better after he left.  I also remember when he was hired at SMU, which seemed to make sense (Texas ties, hot name, etc).  Then I remember that he was fairly average at SMU and that SMU has also gotten considerably better since he left.  Then I seem to remember that his time at Arkansas was a total shit show.

Pretty much on a downward trajectory since he was the flavor of the day at Clemson 5 years ago from what I can tell.  His 5 minutes of fame are up.  Plus I think he’ll probably want to go wherever his son ends up, and Texas hasn’t even offered him so I’m not seeing it happening.

I’d rather have Harrell and it’s not even close.  Probably rather have Lashlee or Brady too.

When Morris got to SMU, he started with a 2 win team and left them with a 7-5 team. He markedly improved them every single season. It’s why he got the Arkansas job. And clemson might have gotten better after he left, but he’s generally seen as a big part of what started Clemson graduating to the next level. 

let’s not imply he’s dogshit. He’s pretty fucking good and was a stud HS coach here in Texas as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, Landomatic said:

If you can get Harrell which seems more and more unlikely, but Morris track record as an OC  makes Harrell's look like a beginner. As I have mentioned in other posts, some great coordinators aren't made to be HCs. We may have one of those right now. 5 -6 years ago most of our fans have given there left nut to get Morris here. Harrell I wouldn't mind either, but lets not hire Lashlee. That would be not good. We need some big names to save Hermans ass, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

When Morris got to SMU, he started with a 2 win team and left them with a 7-5 team. He markedly improved them every single season. It’s why he got the Arkansas job. And clemson might have gotten better after he left, but he’s generally seen as a big part of what started Clemson graduating to the next level. 

let’s not imply he’s dogshit. He’s pretty fucking good and was a stud HS coach here in Texas as well. 

He actually took over a 1 win team and made them a 2 win team his first year.  Then, yes he did improve from there to 5 wins then 7 wins.  I guess good for SMU, but anyone with a pulse with Texas high schools ties should be able to crank out .500 records almost through osmosis.  And he really didn’t have anywhere to go but up.

Also, pretty sure he was hired at Arkansas largely due to him being Jerry Jones’ hand picked guy.  I know for a fact there was a pretty big Highland Park, Jones family, Arkansas political triangle at play there.

I’m not saying he’s dogshit.  I just think there are better options.

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

He actually took over a 1 win team and made them a 2 win team his first year.  Then, yes he did improve from there to 5 wins then 7 wins.  I guess good for SMU, but anyone with a pulse with Texas high schools ties should be able to crank out .500 records almost through osmosis.  And he really didn’t have anywhere to go but up.

Also, pretty sure he was hired at Arkansas largely due to him being Jerry Jones’ hand picked guy.  I know for a fact there was a pretty big Highland Park, Jones family, Arkansas political triangle at play there.

I’m not saying he’s dogshit.  I just think there are better options.

Whom other than Harrell would you like?

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

Back tracked your post. Brady not happening. Why would he make a backward move. Almost the same for Harrell unless we can really money whip him and he just wants to be back in Texas. Lashlee I believe would be no improvement at all will and we will be changing coaching staffs next year. We need a name with a proven track record and Lashlee isn't it. Hell, he was Malzahns #1 protege and he pretty much fired him.

3 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I honestly haven’t given it much thought/research.  I’ve just looked at Harrell a little bit because he seems to be the top name thrown around, although I agree he’s seeming less and less likely.  And I’ve followed Morris pretty close, mostly because my kid is classmates with his kid at HP.

The reason I haven’t wasted a whole lot of time on it?  Because I’ve basically resorted to the fact that we’re all gonna hope for a big hot name, and most likely have to settle for someone who’s a big letdown.  I’m trying to prepare myself to be underwhelmed.

And honestly, I don’t think it really matters anyway.  It’s all feeling like the Charlie and Sterlin situation 2.0 to me.  Color me cynical I guess.

11 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Back tracked your post. Brady not happening. Why would he make a backward move. Almost the same for Harrell unless we can really money whip him and he just wants to be back in Texas. Lashlee I believe would be no improvement at all will and we will be changing coaching staffs next year. We need a name with a proven track record and Lashlee isn't it. Hell, he was Malzahns #1 protege and he pretty much fired him.

Going from Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach at LSU to an Offensive Coordinator at Texas is not a backward move.  It’s a pretty damn good promotion.  Otherwise, mostly agree with everything else you’re saying.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Going from Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach at LSU to an Offensive Coordinator at Texas is not a backward move.  It’s a pretty damn good promotion.  Otherwise, mostly agree with everything else you’re saying.

Sorry, but it is. Moving from a team that will be playing in the college football championship series to a coached 7 and 5 team is backwards. I love my university, but it is what is right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

LSU is going to make him CO-OC and pay him. The AD and Ogre started working on that halfway through the season. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The Indiana OC has an intriguing resume.  Before Indiana, it looks like Fresno State was a lot better with him than they were before and after.  He also had a Saban-like record as a head coach at the small college level.  I’d rather have him than Lashlee if we miss the main targets.

Good Stuff.    Wouldn't hurt for at least one assistant on the Texas staff to have CFB Head Coaching experience...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhinotx said:

LSU is going to make him CO-OC and pay him. The AD and Ogre started working on that halfway through the season. 

Also, not so sure how great he actually is. Burrow and those receivers would make anyone look good. I have Harrell ahead of him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Indiana OC has an intriguing resume.  Before Indiana, it looks like Fresno State was a lot better with him than they were before and after.  He also had a Saban-like record as a head coach at the small college level.  I’d rather have him than Lashlee if we miss the main targets.

I am also not really enthusiastic about Morris, if he even is an option.  His version of the spread was innovative 10 years ago.  Not so much now.  I think he’d be closer to Herman than the guys that are really cutting edge like Riley, Kingsbury, Brady, etc. 

Indiana OC has been connected to the Fresno St HC job. 

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Pretty sure all those players were there last year.  He is the difference between last years very average production to this year. 

It will be interesting to see. I believe most  of the offense is back next year with the exception of Burrow. Burrow is one of the best College QB's Ive seen since Vince.

17 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Sorry, but it is. Moving from a team that will be playing in the college football championship series to a coached 7 and 5 team is backwards. I love my university, but it is what is right now.

I agree. He’s basically LSU’s OC and is going to get paid. It would not be a step up to come to this dumpster fire.

At this point, I'm concerned Herman has become a known-entity among some coaching circles and a candidate either has to look beyond the negativity or already be in the ol' Ohio State/UH boys' club to come on for an interview.  More glaring of a concern for OC than DC, but I'm skeptical Herman will hire someone he's never worked with or has no connections to.