2020 Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Not joking at all.  I remember he was the highest paid coordinator in CFB at Clemson 5 years ago.  I also remember that Clemson got considerably better after he left.  I also remember when he was hired at SMU, which seemed to make sense (Texas ties, hot name, etc).  Then I remember that he was fairly average at SMU and that SMU has also gotten considerably better since he left.  Then I seem to remember that his time at Arkansas was a total shit show.

Pretty much on a downward trajectory since he was the flavor of the day at Clemson 5 years ago from what I can tell.  His 5 minutes of fame are up.  Plus I think he’ll probably want to go wherever his son ends up, and Texas hasn’t even offered him so I’m not seeing it happening.

I’d rather have Harrell and it’s not even close.  Probably rather have Lashlee or Brady too.

Still wild to me that the dude started at Eustace High School. And that if it weren’t for a freak running back named Dale Cope, we might not have ever heard of Chad Morris. 

1 hour ago, ckhorn said:

Also, not so sure how great Joe Brady actually is. Burrow and those receivers would make anyone look good. I have Harrell ahead of him.

Co-sign. If Chad Morris & Baby Briles aren't options for the OC job, than Harrell makes the most sense. Joe Brady's NEVER been a playcaller & we don't know if he just lucked into the right QB. Meanwhile Harrell runs a proven established familiar offensive system in CFB & Texas H.S. football.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Co-sign. If Chad Morris & Baby Briles aren't options for the OC job, than Harrell makes the most sense. Joe Brady's NEVER been a playcaller & we don't know if he just lucked into the right QB. Meanwhile Harrell runs a proven established familiar offensive system in CFB & Texas H.S. football.

I thought it was pretty well known that Joe Brady is calling the plays now. No one seriously expected him to come in to teach an offense, and some old guy is gonna call plays in an offense that he's never run before, right? Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure what Entsminger even does....

Plus, there's a significant difference between Burrow this year vs last year. I subscribe to the theory that Brady made Burrow, not the other way around. If Brady came on as OC, I'd be ecstatic about that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I thought it was pretty well known that Joe Brady is calling the plays now. No one seriously expected him to come in to teach an offense, and some old guy is gonna call plays in an offense that he's never run before, right? Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure what Entsminger even does....

Plus, there's a significant difference between Burrow this year vs last year. I subscribe to the theory that Brady made Burrow, not the other way around. If Brady came on as OC, I'd be ecstatic about that

I don’t know. Take the time to pull up some of Burrow from last year. He was making great throws into tight windows, and using his mobility to extend plays. 

Now he is a year older and experienced. Sure, Brady may have smoothed out the rough edges. And added some elements. But Burrow showed plenty of signs that he was more than a good QB last year.

• Like 2

I was bored, so I started skimming NFL coaching rosters and one name popped out at me. Mike Kafka is the QB coach for the Chiefs. He's 30 years old, played QB at Northwestern and has worked with Reid + Mahomes for the past 2 years. It's also an incredibly fitting name--UT football has been nothing if not Kafkaesque over the past decade.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Were basically doing the same bullshit with coaching hires. Settling for comfortable, ok, hopeful picks instead of throwing our weight around and getting elite proven guys. Chris Ash and Graham Harrell is honestly the best we can do? Ohio St defense wasn’t great when they won the National Championship and Ash sucked at Rutgers but that’s the guy? Did we even give Heacock a call? Same shit

• Like 2

Harrell is a big name hire that moves the needle. He’s probably good, and his name will raise eyebrows of recruits. That’s a good thing. Ash less so. 

I think my grumble is that Herman isn’t casting a wide net to our knowledge. Like Joe Brady (or the Kafka guy mentioned) you can do a real search and if the guy is a great coach and fit, you can create that narrative that moves the needle. Just like Brady. And then Brady paid off. I don’t have a problem with Harrell, but the search still seems blunted. Herman seems to be going after lazy “splash” candidates. But we’ll see.

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There is zero chance we are getting Brady. Zero. He’d be the clear #1. Harrell is a possibility that gets less likely by the day. Lashlee has a great O mind and I’d be thrilled with him too. I’m pretty cold on Morris. 

I agree there's no chance at Brady.  He's just be a position coach (at least in title) at LSU right now, so t first glance, it may have seemed like Texas could offer him a pretty good promotion, which we could.  But then you have to assume LSU would just match whatever offer we were able to throw at him and make him co-OC and boom, the Texas job is suddenly a step backward (as has been pointed out by several other posters).  I don't think UT could offer anything that LSU won't easily match so he's not going anywhere.

Harrell is a little different story.  Very similar situations between USC and Texas.  I assume both could give him equal money and equal job title.  As for job security, you have to assume Helton and Herman are pretty much one in the same as far as the next year or two.  They're both on pretty thin ice.  The only differentiator I can see is that Harrell is a Texas guy so he might want to come home.  But you also have to weigh that against the continuity factor of staying at USC, both professionally and personally.  We can throw everything we want at him to try to pry him loose, but you have to believe that, as arguably Helton's best asset, USC is going to throw everything at him to not let that happen.  I think I'd stay if I were him.  Although, fuck living in California so I'd probably be ready to get back to Texas at the first chance I had.

Lashlee probably seems the most likely from the names I've seen thrown around the most.  Hard to tell how much is him and how much is Dykes.  He's definitely had somewhat of a downward trajectory post-Auburn.  But again, hard to know what all the circumstances were surrounding that.  I think another factor that may play into this is the Arkansas gig.  Whoever lands there as the head coach will undoubtedly have Lashlee toward the top of their list, especially if it's Eliah Drinkwitz.  So, he may want to wait that out and see what happens.

I'm cool (not cold) on Morris too for reasons already stated.  And I really don't think it's very likely.  If Texas is able to pry Harrell from USC, I could see Morris ending up there.

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think my grumble is that Herman isn’t casting a wide net to our knowledge.

We don't know that.  I'm no Herman apologist, but we really have no way of knowing how big of a net is being cast.  I can promise you, just through normal coaching circle relationships built through a lifetime of being in the business, Herman's net is much bigger than the local media and a bunch of us surly posters.  He may have started with a list of 100 names for all we know.  This mentality is just a product of us getting tunnel vision from the few top candidates we hear about here and through the 9.95ers.

Edit - That’s not to say I think Herman doesn’t somehow fuck this up.  I think he probably will, at least on one side of the ball.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 2

How excellent /innovative does an OC or DC need to be to have us at a championship level team?

it seems like recent CFB champions have great OL/DLs, good DBs, mobile QBs, 1-2 great receivers . 

Imagine what we could have been  with average or even slightly above OLs  average to slightly above avg DBs, last 10 years.

I’m guessing 15-25% more Ws, because then, we get to see what the results of recruiting other great position players can be. 

. It shouldn’t take hero hires on OC or DC to turn this around and maybe save Densa’s bubble gum ass, but he is his own worst enemy.

How much time for hires to happen? I say Tom needs to get on the stick and make this shit happen. And hope like hell he doesn't f this up. (Obvious points)

Herman spent much of yesterday in MCKinney at the Duncanville Vs Southlake game dealing with recruiting and didn’t appear to be on his phone. Maybe we hear something later today or tomorrow but Tuesday is always the hot day here.

38 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I prefer the app state guy of OC. Drinkwitz or whatever. He’s got HC experience and maybe that could help Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You want a head coach for a ranked D1 team, who’s a candidate for head coaching gigs, to take our OC job? You may want to get your weed from a reputable source.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I will laugh my ass off if Ash comes here and immediately makes Texas a top 20 defense next year.

...then we worry he’s going to be poached for an HC gig, then shits down his leg for the next 2 years then gets canned, right?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
Coffee, need more

Harrell is a big name hire that moves the needle. He’s probably good, and his name will raise eyebrows of recruits. That’s a good thing. Ash less so. 

I think my grumble is that Herman isn’t casting a wide net to our knowledge. Like Joe Brady (or the Kafka guy mentioned) you can do a real search and if the guy is a great coach and fit, you can create that narrative that moves the needle. Just like Brady. And then Brady paid off. I don’t have a problem with Harrell, but the search still seems blunted. Herman seems to be going after lazy “splash” candidates. But we’ll see.

I get all the angst, but Herman has done some staff changes that people praised in the past. He thought outside the box and making Carrington a temporary coach to help with recruiting. As you mentioned, “to our knowledge,” we aren’t sure of the search parameters. He brought in Hand and no one knew he was coming. Hand was certainly helpful last year. People keep asking to point out some things that Herman has done, and there are some.....he just has never had to fire anyone before. Let’s wait another couple and see what happens.
  • Like 2

Texas needs to stop hiring: 1. BFF’s of HC’s, 2. Flavor of the month, flash in the pan types, 3. Recommendations of Mack Brown. 

If some random Surly poster can spend an hour and generate a list of D1 and NFL assistants that are young, hungry, and innovative, Tom Herman should be fired if he only works from a list of his butt buddies and buzz names. Graham Harrell has been put on the pedestal like we should feel grateful if he agrees to take UT’s $1M+ per year. Then his ego will get in the way of his hunger (sound familiar?) and we can queue the 2021 HC search. 
This coordinator search is reminiscent of when Mack started using DCTF magazine as his initial filter for recruiting from 2003-2009. Herman buzzing the ESPN message boards looking for hot take names, while probably planning to settle on his buddies Ash and Lashlee, and his ego/mensa is telling him how he’s going to prove he’s been right all along to us Internet assholes by ramming the Herman way down our throats in 2020. 

Texas has a near unlimited budget. Strong and Herman could literally scour the countrysides and hire 50 analysts to scrutinize every weakness of every opponent in every situation, and self-audit our own tendencies and weaknesses to correct them or exploit our opponents’ anticipation. But no, you get Pistol QB sneak and RB dive on every short yardage situation and you’ll fucking like it. You get Shawn Watson, Vance Bedford, Tim Beck, Drew Mehringer, Todd Orlando. Yes sir, may I please have another?

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Texas needs to stop hiring: 1. BFF’s of HC’s, 2. Flavor of the month, flash in the pan types, 3. Recommendations of Mack Brown. 

If some random Surly poster can spend an hour and generate a list of D1 and NFL assistants that are young, hungry, and innovative, Tom Herman should be fired if he only works from a list of his butt buddies and buzz names. Graham Harrell has been put on the pedestal like we should feel grateful if he agrees to take UT’s $1M+ per year. Then his ego will get in the way of his hunger (sound familiar?) and we can queue the 2021 HC search. 
This coordinator search is reminiscent of when Mack started using DCTF magazine as his initial filter for recruiting from 2003-2009. Herman buzzing the ESPN message boards looking for hot take names, while probably planning to settle on his buddies Ash and Lashlee, and his ego/mensa is telling him how he’s going to prove he’s been right all along to us Internet assholes by ramming the Herman way down our throats in 2020. 

Texas has a near unlimited budget. Strong and Herman could literally scour the countrysides and hire 50 analysts to scrutinize every weakness of every opponent in every situation, and self-audit our own tendencies and weaknesses to correct them or exploit our opponents’ anticipation. But no, you get Pistol QB sneak and RB dive on every short yardage situation and you’ll fucking like it. You get Shawn Watson, Vance Bedford, Tim Beck, Drew Mehringer, Todd Orlando. Yes sir, may I please have another?

giphy.webp

• Like 3