2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I know one thing.  No matter who is hired as OC, this board will be disappointed.  No matter who is hired as DC, this board will be disappointed.  

And that’s exactly right.  

Has the joke about "hire an OC that always calls the touchdown play, and hire a DC that always calls the play that stops the touchdown play" been made yet.  Cause thats what should be done.  It's so simple.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Odom is an advocate of multiplicity. On the bright side, he doesn't seem as dogmatic as Orlando. Still, I would expect an Odom defense to  look awfully familiar. Not sure this place can survive that.

Can he teach fundamentals and not confuse the shit out of his own defensive players?

My only concern is that this guy hasn’t been anywhere but Missouri. 

* Nevermind - per SI, Odom is the top choice to replace Mike Norvell at Memphis. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Going from Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach at LSU to an Offensive Coordinator at Texas is not a backward move.  It’s a pretty damn good promotion.  Otherwise, mostly agree with everything else you’re saying.

Ensminger is rumored to not gaf about being OC. He no doubt likes the money that goes with it. His career shows he's switched back and forth between OC and TE/receivers coach his whole career, mostly filling in as OC when his team needs someone.

15 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Nahlin is just throwing shit at the wall. Odom really wanted to go to VT but now that he's been blocked by their internal candidate he'll consider Texas? Fuck off with that.

Edited by Chopper

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can he teach fundamentals and not confuse the shit out of his own defensive players?

My only concern is that this guy hasn’t been anywhere but Missouri. 

* Nevermind - per SI, Odom is the top choice to replace Mike Norvell at Memphis. 

It’s Ash. It was always Ash. Everybody will be on the Urban Meyer train after 2020. National champs 2021.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I know one thing.  No matter who is hired as OC, this board will be disappointed.  No matter who is hired as DC, this board will be disappointed.  

And that’s exactly right.  

I know I will be since the only acceptable answer for me was Herman's ass being out the door too.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I agree there's no chance at Brady.  He's just be a position coach (at least in title) at LSU right now, so t first glance, it may have seemed like Texas could offer him a pretty good promotion, which we could.  But then you have to assume LSU would just match whatever offer we were able to throw at him and make him co-OC and boom, the Texas job is suddenly a step backward (as has been pointed out by several other posters).  I don't think UT could offer anything that LSU won't easily match so he's not going anywhere.

Harrell is a little different story.  Very similar situations between USC and Texas.  I assume both could give him equal money and equal job title.  As for job security, you have to assume Helton and Herman are pretty much one in the same as far as the next year or two.  They're both on pretty thin ice.  The only differentiator I can see is that Harrell is a Texas guy so he might want to come home.  But you also have to weigh that against the continuity factor of staying at USC, both professionally and personally.  We can throw everything we want at him to try to pry him loose, but you have to believe that, as arguably Helton's best asset, USC is going to throw everything at him to not let that happen.  I think I'd stay if I were him.  Although, fuck living in California so I'd probably be ready to get back to Texas at the first chance I had.

Lashlee probably seems the most likely from the names I've seen thrown around the most.  Hard to tell how much is him and how much is Dykes.  He's definitely had somewhat of a downward trajectory post-Auburn.  But again, hard to know what all the circumstances were surrounding that.  I think another factor that may play into this is the Arkansas gig.  Whoever lands there as the head coach will undoubtedly have Lashlee toward the top of their list, especially if it's Eliah Drinkwitz.  So, he may want to wait that out and see what happens.

I'm cool (not cold) on Morris too for reasons already stated.  And I really don't think it's very likely.  If Texas is able to pry Harrell from USC, I could see Morris ending up there.

What you think about Baby Briles as a OC canidate? 

• Fuck You 3

Chris Ash and Rhett Lashlee would be so on brand for Herman. A buddy and a lazy hire slightly outside his coaching tree. It would be 2017 all over again. 

Oh man now we're doing "almost comfort" hire complaining of hires not yet hired.

I had forgotten how miserable people could be on here, and tbh I missed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Chris Ash and Rhett Lashlee would be so on brand for Herman. A buddy and a lazy hire slightly outside his coaching tree. It would be 2017 all over again.

shirley cdc knows allowing this would instantly restore a negative tone.  shirley he has given instructions to therm or is supervising every call and prepping him for and debriefing him after every meeting and every interview.

what a terrible look with an open checkbook.

there's a big group of fans that know therm is a fraud and want him gone but will support the program and not revert to the violently negative tone of the last half of the season IF and ONLY IF the new hires are acceptable if not actually "exciting".

Just now, Dbeasy said:

No one knows shit about whether Ash and Lashlee are good or not.

The corollary: everyone knows Harrell is not a comfort hire or a buddy hire.  And we want to see a competition openly played in the media with multiple non-buddy non-comfort names debated and inspected.  If we get buddy/comfort hires without the open competition, debate, and inspection, we're going full-negative instantly, screaming for blood and therm's head on a pike, with a single loss next season firing up the banner thread.  And this time, it won't just be talk because we are going to have the entire offseason to gear up.

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

shirley cdc knows allowing this would instantly restore a negative tone.  shirley he has given instructions to therm or is supervising every call and prepping him for and debriefing him after every meeting and every interview.  what a terrible look with an open checkbook. there's a big group of fans that know therm is a fraud and want him gone but will support the program and not revert to the violently negative tone of the last half of the season IF and ONLY IF the new hires are acceptable if not actually "exciting".

giphy.gif

• Like 1