2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Catching up on this thread. LOL at thinking Eli D would be remotely interested in coming here as a coordinator. Yes, the sitting HC who left his P5 coordinator job to become a HC and just went 12-1 with a conference title is a candidate for offensive coordinator.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Coaches on the hot seat struggle to get top coordinators. See Strong and Gilbert. Gilbert was decent but was also third choice.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Wait, are you trying to tell me that we flew our university president and athletic director on a private jet to Tulsa offering $1 million to our third choice?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

You say this like it's something that would surprise you?

Ummm, No!!  I remember that OC search after the 2015 season vividly since I was an IT subscriber back than. Sonny Cumbie was choice 1A & Sterlin Gilbert was choice 1B.

This is why we flew the UT school president & AD to Tulsa to get Gilbert. Because if we didn't Gilbert, UT would be looking at hiring a meh list of 2nd wave OC candidates.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, I frequently mention around here how silly it is that Texas fans worry that we look dumb during coaching searches. Everyone looks dumb during coaching searches. Just last week Florida State's school president was publicly begging for money related to theirs, for crying out loud.

But if we're skimping around with a G150 instead of a G650 then I don't quite know what to say. For shame.

G150 is slumming but at least it's not at G200.  They used the same wings to save money so had to throw on huge engines to compensate.  

G650 would show we mean business for sure, though I prefer the Falcon 7x solely for the third engine.  When your pilot tells you one of the engines is overheating over the middle of the Pacific, a 3rd engine seems like a great idea.  

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

If you were in his position, assuming money and job titles are equal (even assuming USC is more money to account for higher cost of living), and you had no direct ties to either school (not an alum, etc), what would you do?

Generally speaking, living in California would suck sweaty balls, but living in LA with a ton of cash might not be that bad.  And if his long term goal is to end up back in Texas, I'm not sure now is the time to make the jump as Herman may only have 1-2 years left.

If I have to try to be completely unbiased here, I think I'd stay at USC.  Now, that doesn't take into account possible family in Texas or wife's family or whatever.  No clue how that may play a role for him.

If I’m Harrell, I wouldn’t bet my next career move on Tom Herman. It’s too big of a gamble IMO to assume Herman will give me the autonomy to do my job. 

49 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Serious question, though: does the UT athletic department use Saturn Aviation, or we're just picking random planes?

Looks like they have a cessna, a couple beech crafts and a king air.  There could be others, but you have to have a login...Also, they could use a donor's plane.

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/controller/aircraft-operations

Edited by Daichee Bell

5 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Looks like they have a cessna, a couple beech crafts and a king air.  There could be others, but you have to have a login...

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/controller/aircraft-operations

A calendar of flights on UT System aircraft can be accessed by any UT System staff member by going to: https://apps.utsystem.edu/utsplane/Logon.aspx UT System logon is required for access.

Who of y'all is a UT System staff member? Looks like you can see all the flights. My old UT EID didn't get me as much access as I hoped...

Ummm, No!!  I remember that OC search after the 2015 season vividly since I was an IT subscriber back than. Sonny Cumbie was choice 1A & Sterlin Gilbert was choice 1B.
This is why we flew the UT school president & AD to Tulsa to get Gilbert. Because if we didn't Gilbert, UT would be looking at hiring a meh list of 2nd wave OC candidates.

There was another undisclosed candidate.

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If I’m Harrell, I wouldn’t bet my next career move on Tom Herman. It’s too big of a gamble IMO to assume Herman will give me the autonomy to do my job. 

I've seen people mention this already, but this is a short-sighted take, IMO. And it's not because you're just being overly pessimistic and overlooking that tying his career to Clay Helton is equally preposterous. From a financial standpoint, Harrell might not be able to lose right now. He can get a 2-3 year guarantee, and if Herman is gone after a year, he gets the money and the chance to get another job. It's unlikely his star is going to dim any under Herman. And if it does, he can simply tell anyone else how Herman fucked him when he interviews for his next job. If you're Harrell, and you want to bank a quick 4-6 million, well, just come here for a year and wait for Herman to get fired. Cash check, go elsewhere. 

It's probably the same at SC. So, it's basically relocating back to Texas and lower Tax Burden versus working for Coach Fuckface. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

G150 is slumming but at least it's not at G200.  They used the same wings to save money so had to throw on huge engines to compensate.  

G650 would show we mean business for sure, though I prefer the Falcon 7x solely for the third engine.  When your pilot tells you one of the engines is overheating over the middle of the Pacific, a 3rd engine seems like a great idea.  

If we stick with the G150, we can afford more buyouts.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've seen people mention this already, but this is a short-sighted take, IMO. And it's not because you're just being overly pessimistic and overlooking that tying his career to Clay Helton is equally preposterous. From a financial standpoint, Harrell might not be able to lose right now. He can get a 2-3 year guarantee, and if Herman is gone after a year, he gets the money and the chance to get another job. It's unlikely his star is going to dim any under Herman. And if it does, he can simply tell anyone else how Herman fucked him when he interviews for his next job. If you're Harrell, and you want to bank a quick 4-6 million, well, just come here for a year and wait for Herman to get fired. Cash check, go elsewhere. 

It's probably the same at SC. So, it's basically relocating back to Texas and lower Tax Burden versus working for Coach Fuckface. 

My assumption is that whatever we offer would need to be bested by USC (and will...they’re just as desperate as us right now). If that’s the case, the money is a wash. The same get fired/get cash exists at USC, so it comes down to where he thinks the next 1-2 years can best be spent setting himself up for a HC position. In that scenario, he knows, for better or worse, exactly what he has at USC...both from his players and his boss. Hopefully he likes what he see with the Texas roster, but the big unknown is Tom Herman’s ability to check his ego and let a young up and comer turn things around (and get all the credit/glory for doing so) utilizing his own offensive system.

How likely do you think that is?

38 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Middle of the Pacific?

Where is our next Coordinator coming from?

Guam?

The Philippines?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, I frequently mention around here how silly it is that Texas fans worry that we look dumb during coaching searches. Everyone looks dumb during coaching searches. Just last week Florida State's school president was publicly begging for money related to theirs, for crying out loud.

But if we're skimping around with a G150 instead of a G650 then I don't quite know what to say. For shame.

Yeah, I don't care if we look like the Three Stooges hiring the right guys. I just don't want to break into cold sweats after the season opener because we efficiently hired the wrong guys.

Edited by Ricky Butler

He also has a built in excuse at Texas if it doesn't work.  If Texas goes south next year and we clean house it won't stick to Harrel, he just couldn't fix Herman's mess.  If on the other hand, the drop in talent and other issues at USC cause his offense to regress and he can't repeat his magic in year 2 when the offense is his.....He has much less risk coming to Texas.

49 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Image result for whoa gif

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

My assumption is that whatever we offer would need to be bested by USC (and will...they’re just as desperate as us right now). If that’s the case, the money is a wash. The same get fired/get cash exists at USC, so it comes down to where he thinks the next 1-2 years can best be spent setting himself up for a HC position. In that scenario, he knows, for better or worse, exactly what he has at USC...both from his players and his boss. Hopefully he likes what he see with the Texas roster, but the big unknown is Tom Herman’s ability to check his ego and let a young up and comer turn things around (and get all the credit/glory for doing so) utilizing his own offensive system.

Herman checking his ego? Unlikely.

It having any fucking chance in any way of hampering Harrell's ability to progress in his career? Also zero. Even if they don't get along, Harrell isn't going to come here and put up Mehrginer OC at Rutgers Numbers. And you can also make an argument that Harrell has seen what he needs to see and learned from Helton whatever is worth leaning, and would be well served to see things under another HC if it isn't going to hamper his trajectory, and guess what, nothing is going to hamper his trajectory. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Oh, and as much as Herman seems to not want to run the offense himself....I think he would be perfectly fine handing the reins to someone else and letting them run with it.

I actually believe Tom would be perfectly happy CEOing the program and staying the hell away from play calling.

No one really knows anything on Harrell right now, but it's laughable to think that no news is bad news here.

The moment he's locked in with it SC they will be shouting it from the rooftops, as their fan base is in full on revolt and they need any glimmer of hope they can offer to convince them that keeping Helton wasn't a monumental fuck up.

As long as SC isn't saying anything, it means they don't know anything, just like us.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

He also has a built in excuse at Texas if it doesn't work.  If Texas goes south next year and we clean house it won't stick to Harrel, he just couldn't fix Herman's mess.  If on the other hand, the drop in talent and other issues at USC cause his offense to regress and he can't repeat his magic in year 2 when the offense is his.....He has much less risk coming to Texas.

I disagree.  I don't think he gets any more blame at USC than he would here. 

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

No one really knows anything on Harrell right now, but it's laughable to think that no news is bad news here.   The moment he's locked in with it SC they will be shouting it from the rooftops, as their fan base is in full on revolt and they need any glimmer of hope they can offer to convince them that keeping Helton wasn't a monumental fuck up.    As long as SC isn't saying anything, it means they don't know anything, just like us.

giphy.gif

Ok, some heavy duty research here (have you guys heard of something called Wikipedia?) but it seems Harrell’s dad worked for Bob Shipley at Brownwood, his brothers are all coaching in Texas and his wife is from Tyler, where her family may still reside. Decent checkmarks in the “move back to Texas” boxes when compared to SC. 

And something not in the Wikipedia write up (by the way, that site is pretty good, you should check it out), I remember a story from his time in Green Bay, he literally lived in the most bare bones apartment you could imagine, had only a bean bag chair, video console/TV and slept on a mattress that I think was just on the floor. He’s lived in places like Brownwood, Ennis, Lubbock, Green Bay, Denton, for most of his life. He ain’t no LA guy, who needs the fancy lifestyle. Yes, Austin is big, too, but it’s not Los Angeles crazy big. 

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I disagree.  I don't think he gets any more blame at USC than he would here. 

He's in his 2nd season with an established offense that he is given full credit/blame for.  His offense was successful this year.  If it falls apart next year, he will definitely catch blame.

If he comes to Texas and installs a dynamic and successful offense he will be credited.  If it doesn't work he won't be blamed as he wasn't here long enough to put his full offense in place etc.

He doesn't have a ton of exposure at USC, but he has less risk in coming to Texas.  Plus, he gets to get the hell out of LA and come back to Texas.

10 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Harrell could come here and dramatically improve the offense and have a shot to take over the big job if the defense shits itself again and gets Herman fired.

So we’re going to promote an assistant on a staff that was just axed due to poor performance? An assistant with no prior HC experience?

yeahhhhh, about that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

He's in his 2nd season with an established offense that he is given full credit/blame for.  His offense was successful this year.  If it falls apart next year, he will definitely catch blame.

If he comes to Texas and installs a dynamic and successful offense he will be credited.  If it doesn't work he won't be blamed as he wasn't here long enough to put his full offense in place etc.

He doesn't have a ton of exposure at USC, but he has less risk in coming to Texas.  Plus, he gets to get the hell out of LA and come back to Texas.

I just don't think because he's in year 2 under Helton, who has been as close to being fired the past 2 offseason as you can get, he is all of a sudden shouldering the USC blame.  If his offense falls apart next year at USC or Texas I don't think his name gets tarnished more at one spot over the other, and in that situation at either school likely results in the HC being gone and out of a job regardless.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

5 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Ok, some heavy duty research here (have you guys heard of something called Wikipedia?) but it seems Harrell’s dad worked for Bob Shipley at Brownwood, his brothers are all coaching in Texas and his wife is from Tyler, where her family may still reside. Decent checkmarks in the “move back to Texas” boxes when compared to SC. 

And something not in the Wikipedia write up (by the way, that site is pretty good, you should check it out), I remember a story from his time in Green Bay, he literally lived in the most bare bones apartment you could imagine, had only a bean bag chair, video console/TV and slept on a mattress that I think was just on the floor. He’s lived in places like Brownwood, Ennis, Lubbock, Green Bay, Denton, for most of his life. He ain’t no LA guy, who needs the fancy lifestyle. Yes, Austin is big, too, but it’s not Los Angeles crazy big. 

I don't know enough about his wife. I imagine USC will at least bump him to 1mil a year and a lot of woman folk like the good life in LA. 

No news is terrible news.

No news is fantastic news.

No word means he’s going to turn it down and is waiting to accept something else.

No word means he’s locked up and done and we are just waiting for the ten day mandates job post period to expire.

Yes! No!

6 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I don't know enough about his wife. I imagine USC will at least bump him to 1mil a year and a lot of woman folk like the good life in LA. 

Is a mil a year enough to live the good life in LA?  I'm thinking not.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I remember a story from his time in Green Bay, he literally lived in the most bare bones apartment you could imagine, had only a bean bag chair, video console/TV and slept on a mattress that I think was just on the floor.

Have you been to Green Bay? That’s probably all he could find.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hopefully he likes what he see with the Texas roster, but the big unknown is Tom Herman’s ability to check his ego and let a young up and comer turn things around (and get all the credit/glory for doing so) utilizing his own offensive system.

You keep posting the same basic thing over and over again, but let's not forget that Herman seemed very reluctant to intervene in our offensive woes previously. He let Beck call plays, to our detriment, and has stated that he doesn't like to call plays from the field, and essentially doesn't want to be the OC, too. I disagree with plenty of his decisions so far, but he obviously knows his neck is on the chopping block if this all doesn't work out.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

His dad coached under Gordon Wood, waaaay more credible than Bob Shipley. One of if not the greatest Texas high school coaches of all time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

You keep posting the same basic thing over and over again, but let's not forget that Herman seemed very reluctant to intervene in our offensive woes previously. He let Beck call plays, to our detriment, and has stated that he doesn't like to call plays from the field, and essentially doesn't want to be the OC, too. I disagree with plenty of his decisions so far, but he obviously knows his neck is on the chopping block if this all doesn't work out.  

Maybe he felt safe enough to let Beck flounder so he could get the school to pony up for some better COs.