2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Stop saying “if Harrell comes here and Herman gets fired, he could get the HC job”. That’s just not going to happen. When was the last time that Texas fired a football head coach and promoted an assistant to head coach? That would be never.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Maybe he felt safe enough to let Beck flounder so he could get the school to pony up for some better COs. 

I don't think that's it. And Herman made the mistake of choosing Beck in the first place, when even most people here questioned that decision.

My hope is that whoever the new OC is will do much less "playcalling by committee." I have no problem with Herman having input, he's the HC after all, but all the other coaches should have input at halftime or when their two cents are requested, not on a play-by-play basis. I really think that was a lot of our issue through the middle of this season. We need more clarity.

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Stop saying “if Harrell comes here and Herman gets fired, he could get the HC job”. That’s just not going to happen. When was the last time that Texas fired a football head coach and promoted an assistant to head coach? That would be never.

First of all, nobody is serious about that. At least I hope not.

But also, you're wrong. Texas has fired a head coach and promoted an assistant before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

His dad coached under Gordon Wood, waaaay more credible than Bob Shipley. One of if not the greatest Texas high school coaches of all time.

The Shipley-Harrell connection has nothing to do with credibility or who’s better, Shipley or Wood. Bob Shipley has a connection with UT football. Gordon Wood did not. It appears Shipley gave the elder Harrell a job after a serious health issue, so I hope that makes the Harrell family feel a kinship with the Shipleys, which is a check in the “go to Texas” column.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

First of all, nobody is serious about that. At least I hope not.

But also, you're wrong. Texas has fired a head coach and promoted an assistant before.

Not saying we should ever consider it, BUT it has worked well for ou, tOSU and Clemson. 3 of the 4 current playoff teams.

44 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Harrell could come here and dramatically improve the offense and have a shot to take over the big job if the defense shits itself again and gets Herman fired.

**Cough** TEXAS **Cough**

I still think there's a good chance he's our version of "Lincoln Riley" if hired.  Win or Lose, Herman will outwear his welcome at Texas (he's probably already there), and if Harrell has the offense clicking, he could be in prime position to be elevated.

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You actually think Meyer just walked away again?

You think they fired him over Zach Smith?   I think they both agreed to move on.  If you want to call that firing fine it's just semantics.  But it's disingenuous to compare that to firing someone who is driving the program into the ground.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XYZ said:

And maybe that's the problem.

48 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Harrell could come here and dramatically improve the offense and have a shot to take over the big job if the defense shits itself again and gets Herman fired.

No , that is incorrect.  In your scenario, if Texas fired Herman, then Harrell would no way be considered for the HC job at Texas.  No way.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes.

Tressel begot Fickell

Meyer begot Day

Fickell was a interim place holder.  Until Meyer.  But if we are just going to argue over semantics like this, yes OSU and Texas are basically in the same situation so promoting our coordinator and firing the head coach will basically yield the exact same results.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You think they fired him over Zach Smith?   I think they both agreed to move on.  If you want to call that firing fine it's just semantics.  But it's disingenuous to compare that to firing someone who is driving the program into the ground.

Like Mack agreed to move on, huh?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Meyer is technically still employed there as an Assistant AD. Not sure if that means anything but I think he could have stuck it out if he wanted to. 

7 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

**Cough** TEXAS **Cough**

I still think there's a good chance he's our version of "Lincoln Riley" if hired.  Win or Lose, Herman will outwear his welcome at Texas (he's probably already there), and if Harrell has the offense clicking, he could be in prime position to be elevated.

Lincoln Riley pre-OU had a pretty similar resume to Graham Harrell:

2003–2005 Texas Tech (SA), 2006 Texas Tech (GA), 2007 Texas Tech (WR), 2008–2009 Texas Tech (IWR), 2010–2013 East Carolina (OC/QB), 2014 East Carolina (AHC/OC/QB)

Harrell: 2009 Oklahoma State (QC), 2014–2015 Washington State (OWR), 2016–2018 North Texas (OC/QB), 2019–present USC (OC/QB)

Harrell played a lot more football than Riley, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Fickell was a interim place holder.  Until Meyer.  But if we are just going to argue over semantics like this, yes OSU and Texas are basically in the same situation so promoting our coordinator and firing the head coach will basically yield the exact same results.

Well maybe Harrell could be our interim HC if Herman gets fired midseason after blowout losses to LSU and OU

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) The concerns/thoughts around Herman meddling with whatever an OC wants to do are unfounded. The guy handed the offense to Tim Beck and provided input on strategy. Then Tim Beck shit the bed, predictably to everyone not named Herman and his apologists, and Herman was forced to intervene. He attempted to hand the reins back several times. He doesn't want to be the OC. Harrell or whoever comes here, they're getting their run of the offensive side of the ball and Herman will help them gameplan. 

2) Everyone, and I mean fucking everyone, on this thread is acting as if Herman is a dead man walking. That includes me. We're also a bunch of message board dorks. Herman's seat is warm to the outside world, but not toasty. The guy had a down year with major defensive losses and major injury issues. Texas still won 7 games and returns a ton in 2020. Coaches fire chunks of their staff every offseason and it doesn't mean they're a year away from termination. Someone taking a job at Texas isn't the same as taking a job at USC when Helton was known to have been retained merely due to bigger problems within the USC administration at the time. 

3) A coordinator coming to Texas has a chance to brand themselves a guru, just as much as one taking a job at OU, Ohio State, Bama, and other major programs or blue bloods. Harrell fucking talked about this as that kind of big deal when all of this came up and I referenced in prior posts. If he doesn't take this job, it's because he simply preferred to work with Helton over Herman. It isn't because the opportunity wasn't big enough or because he assumes Herman is a dead man after next season. 

4) Apparently, they're actually going through a plan with all of this. Like, we're getting the thing we wanted and many of you guys are now bawling because you have a need for instant gratification. Or maybe you care that other people are laughing at us and didn't realize that other people have been laughing at us for a decade. 

5) This time 10 years ago, Texas had a HCIW to replace the HC as a rising coordinator. The donors and the AD are not above looking at the circumstance for what it is. If Harrell were to come here, look like a fucking wizard, and Herman were to keep pissing everyone off, they might fucking scramble to address the move before someone nabs the guy.

Anyway, Herman can still fuck all of this up. I have no doubt he can. But I'm not despondent at the moment, and you shouldn't be either.

Interesting change in tone compared to the post last week. I sense a little optimism despite the disdain.

Can you tell your sources to make them hurry the fuck up so I can feed the dragon?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) The concerns/thoughts around Herman meddling with whatever an OC wants to do are unfounded. The guy handed the offense to Tim Beck and provided input on strategy. Then Tim Beck shit the bed, predictably to everyone not named Herman and his apologists, and Herman was forced to intervene. He attempted to hand the reins back several times. He doesn't want to be the OC. Harrell or whoever comes here, they're getting their run of the offensive side of the ball and Herman will help them gameplan. 

2) Everyone, and I mean fucking everyone, on this thread is acting as if Herman is a dead man walking. That includes me. We're also a bunch of message board dorks. Herman's seat is warm to the outside world, but not toasty. The guy had a down year with major defensive losses and major injury issues. Texas still won 7 games and returns a ton in 2020. Coaches fire chunks of their staff every offseason and it doesn't mean they're a year away from termination. Someone taking a job at Texas isn't the same as taking a job at USC when Helton was known to have been retained merely due to bigger problems within the USC administration at the time. 

3) A coordinator coming to Texas has a chance to brand themselves a guru, just as much as one taking a job at OU, Ohio State, Bama, and other major programs or blue bloods. Harrell fucking talked about this as that kind of big deal when all of this came up and I referenced in prior posts. If he doesn't take this job, it's because he simply preferred to work with Helton over Herman. It isn't because the opportunity wasn't big enough or because he assumes Herman is a dead man after next season. 

4) Apparently, they're actually going through a plan with all of this. Like, we're getting the thing we wanted and many of you guys are now bawling because you have a need for instant gratification. Or maybe you care that other people are laughing at us and didn't realize that other people have been laughing at us for a decade. 

5) This time 10 years ago, Texas had a HCIW to replace the HC as a rising coordinator. The donors and the AD are not above looking at the circumstance for what it is. If Harrell were to come here, look like a fucking wizard, and Herman were to keep pissing everyone off, they might fucking scramble to address the move before someone nabs the guy.

Anyway, Herman can still fuck all of this up. I have no doubt he can. But I'm not despondent at the moment, and you shouldn't be either.

You probably have me blocked or ignored but I like your reply here.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Actually, I've been of the opinion that even this season's craptacular staff (minus Mehringer, because then the returning experience would disappear) would win at least 9 games next year simply by out-talenting/experiencing people. And 9 games isn't going to get anybody fired, even at the by-Gawd University of Texas. So Herman is not a dead man walking, no matter what should be the case, and certainly no matter what the message board mensches think should be the case.

It's one of the reasons I suspect Harrell has been leaning 'Texas' in his deliberations:  Helton has been on the hot seat two years now; Herman's is just warming up.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, I've been of the opinion that even this season's craptacular staff (minus Mehringer, because then the returning experience would disappear) would win at least 9 games next year simply by out-talenting/experiencing people. And 9 games isn't going to get anybody fired, even at the by-Gawd University of Texas. So Herman is not a dead man walking, no matter what should be the case, and certainly no matter what the message board mensches think should be the case.

It's one of the reasons I suspect Harrell has been leaning 'Texas' in his deliberations:  Helton has been on the hot seat two years now; Herman's is just warming up.

Agree except Nebraska fires solich after a nine win season

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What does #4 mean? What is the plan? As in they’re still vetting Harrell (and cross-referencing with other high value targets they’ve interviewed)?

you seemed rather adamant previously that moves needed to be made quickly for a number of reasons.

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You probably have me blocked or ignored but I like your reply here.

For whatever reason, I don't have you on ignore. 

I was fucking around the other day. I don't have 700 posters on ignore. I have 10, and they're all Phlegm type shitheads or randoms that see only red when I post and provide nothing to my day when they respond to me.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What does #4 mean? What is the plan? As in they’re still vetting Harrell (and cross-referencing with other high value targets they’ve interviewed)?

you seemed rather adamant previously that moves needed to be made quickly for a number of reasons.

I don't know "the plan". They're talking to numerous people and conducting interviews/putting out feelers for various slots. They're not just swinging a dead cat and hiring the first dipshit it hits. 

I remain adamant that guys need to be hired ahead the first signing day. If they don't do that, we're facing Malikmas giftgiving to other programs. Relatively speaking, we may have different views on what "quickly" means. That time frame is quick to me, but that doesn't mean shit needed to have gotten done yesterday. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But, but, what about Herman's Sumlin-level drinking problem? Oh, wait . . . that's an internet message board fabrication too. Never mind. 

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good post.

Edited by Bevo

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In other words:

spacer.png

I'm all in on Graham Harrell. Let's do it!

• Like 3