2020 Coaching Staff

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think you're right that the only reason we haven't heard anything is because Harrell is seeing what shakes loose - but I think if Harrell has told us 'no thanks' and is staying at USC unless a HC offer comes (as Chip is implying) that we would have heard that from the USC side.

Exactly. If that's the case then announcing that he's staying as offensive coordinator at USC has no downside. It helps his current employer, if he doesn't get a head job then that's all anyone remembers (turning down Texas for USC), and if he does get a head job then nobody blames him for leaving an assistant position to run a program.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. If that's the case then announcing that he's staying as offensive coordinator at USC has no downside. It helps his current employer, if he doesn't get a head job then that's all anyone remembers (turning down Texas for USC), and if he does get a head job then nobody blames him for leaving an assistant position to run a program.

But he wouldn't announce that until actually signed.  And I'm sure a meaningful USC or Texas offer (especially if in the $2MM range as being reported) comes with some buyout protection which could hurt his chance at a smaller school head job.    I think he's intentionally keeping all his cards on the table.  

And I agree Traylor may have been a better fit for UTSA.  Maybe that's the one he was waiting out.  I'm not sure what other jobs are open (or will open) at this point he would be a candidate for.

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet. I expected to hear a lot by now. 

I'm just assuming no one knows shit. Just like the Herb Hand hire. We will find out when it is done. And it will be glorious.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If I’m Harrell, I wouldn’t bet my next career move on Tom Herman. It’s too big of a gamble IMO to assume Herman will give me the autonomy to do my job. 

...so instead you would be it on Clay Helton, who has been almost fired the last 2 offseasons and who is going to either be almost fired or straight up fired next year unless he wins the conference (which is less likely than Texas winning the conf TBH)?

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet? I expected to hear a lot by now. 

For all the things Herman has done wrong, he has done one thing very right over the last three years, and that is control the flow of information to the $9.95ers. They haven't been told what to say, so they aren't saying anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok fine, but is it a staff that can get us 15 wins?  That’s allegedly the target. 

I'd like to see how the rest of the staff fills out (can Ash get us a legit LB coach & DT coach) - but I think the three top guys could get this team to the Playoff.   But I also pump sunshine like a motherfucker...

38 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Todd Graham hasn't coordinated a defense in 15 years.  HHis defenses got worse every single year he was the HC at Arizona St - his last year they had the 104th ranked scoring defense in the country.   He's also, possibly, allegedly, an even bigger asshole than Herman.

Long time Rice Owls booster checking in... In case it needed emphasis, I'd like to officially confirm that Todd Graham is indeed a much bigger asshole than Tom Herman.

Carry on.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

For all the things Herman has done wrong, he has done one thing very right over the last three years, and that is control the flow of information to the $9.95ers. They haven't been told what to say, so they aren't saying anything.

I posted it earlier but I think the Orangebloods guys are definitely being told what to say.  Dating back to midseason when they reported Eagles missed practice before TCU 'for personal reasons' instead of a blow up with coach Meh.   They are reporting now that no offers have been made and Herman is taking his time (i.e., trying to save face if GH turns us down).   I think they were one of the first to report their would be firings last Sunday which was possibly TH throwing them a bone for putting his other bullshit out there.  At least that's my speculation.     

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah same exact scenarios.  Mack wasn't technically fired and had this program in tip top shape, just like Urban at OSU.  Fired or not isn't even the point.  OSU nor OU didn't replace their failed head coaches with coordinators.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I posted it earlier but I think the Orangebloods guys are definitely being told what to say.  Dating back to midseason when they reported Eagles missed practice before TCU 'for personal reasons' instead of a blow up with coach Meh.   They are reporting now that no offers have been made and Herman is taking his time (i.e., trying to save face if GH turns us down).   I think they were one of the first to report their would be firings last Sunday which was possibly TH throwing them a bone for putting his other bullshit out there.  At least that's my speculation.     

Or they could be keeping quiet while details/money are being talked about. USC did not report what their extension was to GH for a reason. I would like to think CDC & CTH are smart enough to do the same. 

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

Or they could be keeping quiet while details/money are being talked about. USC did not report what their extension was to GH for a reason. I would like to think CDC & CTH are smart enough to do the same. 

That's plausible as well.  My main point is I think Herman or Belmont has started using OB as a mouth piece.  And I think that's a relatively new phenomenon.  Or OB has just better about hiding it until recently.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah same exact scenarios.  Mack wasn't technically fired and had this program in tip top shape, just like Urban at OSU.  Fired or not isn't even the point.  OSU nor OU didn't replace their failed head coaches with coordinators.

In seven years at Ohio State, Urban Meyer's teams never lost more than two games in a single season. From 2010 to 2013, Mack Brown's Texas teams lost 7, 5, 4, and 5.

You might want to rethink what "tip top shape" means.

• Like 5

Just now, David Dennison said:

In seven years at Ohio State, Urban Meyer's teams never lost more than two games in a single season. From 2010 to 2013, Mack Brown's Texas teams lost 7, 5, 4, and 5.

You might want to rethink what "tip top shape" means.

I was being sarcastic.  Apparently people here think that it would be okay to fire Tom Herman and hire Harrell or whomever for HC because OU and OSU both replaced their head coaches with coordinators and it worked out okay for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I was being sarcastic.  Apparently people here think that it would be okay to fire Tom Herman and hire Harrell or whomever for HC because OU and OSU both replaced their head coaches with coordinators and it worked out okay for them.

Ah. The ol' detector must be on the fritz again. I see it now.

Edited by David Dennison

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You forgot about Clemson and LSU. 

Only a couple people are talking out their asses about this scenario playing out. Those people want to see Herman fail at all costs. Most of us would love for him to succeed but there’s too much writing on the wall to be optimistic.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

As stated in the recruiting thread, that Chip Brown article was propoganda bullshit to prop up Chris Ash. 

probably look like 

OC: Lashlee

QB: Tim Beck

WR: Samples

OL: Hand

RB: Drayton

TE: [insert whomoever]

DC: Chris Ash

DE: Giles (lol)

DB: [insert whomoever]

DT: [insert whomoever]

See you guys at the 2020 Next Coach thread. 

I read this and thought it was a conversation. This thread is taking its toll. 

4 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I haven't paid a lot of attention to MO since TH made fun of their QB's odd little on field celebration stylings, but it seems Odom was guilty of being a good enough coach to fuel unrealistic expectations for the fan basse of mid-America aggie.

and in a very strange turn of events that weird little qb with low T is now a rookie in the league and has carved up 2 NFL defenses in a row.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Odom

Odom played as a MLB at Mizzou and was DC/LB under Justin Fuente at Memphis and Gary Pinkel at Mizzou. As DC at Mizzou, he had a top-10 overall defense. Interestingly, he was Director of Recruiting (Administrative) for Mizzou for two years. 

Do want

14 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I haven't paid a lot of attention to MO since TH made fun of their QB's odd little on field celebration stylings, but it seems Odom was guilty of being a good enough coach to fuel unrealistic expectations for the fan basse of mid-America aggie.

He got fired at Auburn and he’s currently the OC under Sonny Dykes. Why exactly are you giving him the credit for SMU’s air raid offense?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

If we have to find a silver lining, I hope it's Lashlee. Considering what he did with SMU's roster, we'll be fine with hi as OC. As for the defense, I think TH had made that decision before Orlando was out the door.

I think Lashlee will be bad for us. Demoted at Auburn and just has not been the guy that runs the show. I think Dykes is responsible for SMU's success on offense.

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Odom

Odom played as a MLB at Mizzou and was DC/LB under Justin Fuente at Memphis and Gary Pinkel at Mizzou. As DC at Mizzou, he had a top-10 overall defense.

In the SEC East, a shit division with shitty offenses. He may be great, but anything he did at Mizzou isn't proof of it.

• Like 1