2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

14 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Just reemphasizes the need to get it right the first time.

You don't have to get everything right to begin with, in fact you could argue bringing in a recruiting staff was exactly what we needed after 2016.  But you have to constantly transition, cut dead weight and you sure as fuck can't allow discord to fester on your staff.  

I personally don't think he's mature enough for this job, he should have hired an actual "mentor" with head coaching experience to lean heavily on.  Someone who would have said "you need to fire a couple of these fucks, now.  Here's a short list, or I can make some calls"   

Going into year 4 and THEN making wholesale changes because the outside noise is deafening, all while pretending he doesn't pay attention to anything outside 1-0 is all I need to know to form my opinion.  

• Like 2

I haven't seen any mention of Jim Leavitt, but he's a free agent.  He was really hoping to land the S. Florida job, but that's not going to happen. In his 60s, that's becoming a tough sale to schools for a new hire any way. 
If given a choice between him and Ash, I'd lean Leavitt, Leavitt has the better right hook, allegedly

....so, he’s a modern day Leon Fuller.

Awesome

4 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

....so, he’s a modern day Leon Fuller.

Awesome

Leon Fuller was great at Texas but he shit the bed at Llano High School.  Had a huge brain fart in a 90's 3A playoff game against Giddings back in the day.  He let the clock expire with his Llano squad at the Giddings one yard line with a 4th and one and a timeout in his pocket.  He failed to call the timeout and the clock expired with the Llano offense on the field wondering WTF just happened.  The time clock ran to zero, Giddings celebrated and that was all she wrote.  

On 12/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

Some poster on IT is is claiming that USC is throwing some prospective HCIW stuff to keep Harrell around. LMAO, USC might as well just fire Clay Helton now if that was true.

So how does a HCIW offer go down when the current head coach has no job security and is hated by the fanbase? 

“Hey don’t tell Clay we told you this, but he’s a dead man walking and you’re on deck baby!”

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

So how does a HCIW offer go down when the current head coach has no job security and is hated by the fanbase? 

“Hey don’t tell Clay we told you this, but he’s a dead man walking and you’re on deck baby!”

Your best bet is to score a bunch of points and hope your defense allows more

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Again for 70% of this crowd, any hire will be the wrong hire.   The only thing that will work is canning Herman.  We’re at that point.  

That's only on Shaggy... er, Surly.  There are posters on other boards already brandishing Herman gone at this point next year, as the prospect of bailing your own ass out with new assistants rarely works out.

• Like 1

My dog would be an improvement over TO.  I’m only concerned with offense.  This is fitting, Tom goes as far as his oc pick.  Screw it up, you’re gone.   Some lucky dude gets to take credit for defensive improvement for allowing tackling and covering receivers.

If we are offering GH a 3 year deal, I see no downside for him.  He can walk away a rich man after 3 years into a HC job, maybe here. 

Are we waiting for GH to not get a HC position now?

Are we waiting for GH to not get a HC position now?

Wondering the same, and I'd guess that would be the case.

It looks like the only HC jobs he interviewed for were UNLV and UTSA.

UTSA is off the table (Traylor), and it appears that UNLV will be hiring Arroyo out of Oregon, latest reports being they were close on a deal.

I think we're close to finding out what Harrell is going to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Treefidy said:

You don't have to get everything right to begin with, in fact you could argue bringing in a recruiting staff was exactly what we needed after 2016.  But you have to constantly transition, cut dead weight and you sure as fuck can't allow discord to fester on your staff.  

I personally don't think he's mature enough for this job, he should have hired an actual "mentor" with head coaching experience to lean heavily on.  Someone who would have said "you need to fire a couple of these fucks, now.  Here's a short list, or I can make some calls"   

Going into year 4 and THEN making wholesale changes because the outside noise is deafening, all while pretending he doesn't pay attention to anything outside 1-0 is all I need to know to form my opinion.  

I mean, the guys has been using Greg Davis as a mentor since he’s been in Houston. I’m not sure what else you can fucking ask for, man. 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And what does Boise and then Seattle have that austin doesn’t as far as this goes?

the physicians, clinics, therapists and other medical personnel that his child and family are comfortable with.

(i get what you are saying/where you are going, but this legitimately matters to most folks i know in any kind of comparable situation - relationships and comfort are huge)

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Is the biggest knock on Chris Ash that Tom Herman knows him?  That sure seems to be the case. 

Lack of experience/success in a spread league (Big XII, Pac 12, or even conferences like the AAC or MAC where there are a variety of high powered spread offenses from year to year). Even his two successful stops are somewhat questionable; coaching for the Wisconsin machine, and for the extremely talented Ohio State defenses where he shared a lot of responsibility with Fickell. He sucked at Arkansas and Rutgers. 

9 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Today is the day, the clues are all there. Follow this logic.

What day is it today? 
Tuesday. More specifically Taco Tuesday.

Where did Graham play? Texas Tech and what are the fans notorious for throwing? Tortillas!

Graham Harrell is from Brownwood Tom Herman is secretly into ATM hence Brownwood.

Tom Herman the Second was obviously not a Trojan fan which by pulling out gave us The Third. Graham is going to pull out of Southern California and give birth to a National Championship at Texas.

Graham wore number 6 at 2 stops, 6  plus 6 equals 12, this is December the 12th month of the year. My god I could go on all day the clues are so obvious. 

Today is the day.

always sunny conspiracy GIF

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Lack of experience/success in a spread league (Big XII, Pac 12, or even conferences like the AAC or MAC where there are a variety of high powered spread offenses from year to year). Even his two successful stops are somewhat questionable; coaching for the Wisconsin machine, and for the extremely talented Ohio State defenses where he shared a lot of responsibility with Fickell. He sucked at Arkansas and Rutgers. 

All of this is true. Mediocre hire at best

13 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

What day is it today? 

Where did Graham play? Texas Tech and what are the fans notorious for throwing? Tortillas!

Graham Harrell is from Brownwood Tom Herman is secretly into ATM hence Brownwood.

Tom Herman the Second was obviously not a Trojan fan which by pulling out gave us The Third. Graham is going to pull out of Southern California and give birth to a National Championship at Texas.

Graham wore number 6 at 2 stops, 6  plus 6 equals 12, this is December the 12th month of the year. My god I could go on all day the clues are so obvious. 

Today is the day.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

All of this is true. Mediocre hire at best

If Texas misses on a group of top DC targets and ends up with Ash, then fine. Maybe he'd work out; just going from Orlando to (relatively) average wins us a couple of games this past year, and Ash could potentially be better than that. I'm hoping that Ash is a safeties coach/co DC with someone like Odom being the other primary DC. Or maybe there are some better NFL assistants or someone like the ISU or a Pac 12 DC out there, or maybe Saban replaces Golding? I just want a real search rather than a faux search with Ash always being the guy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

What day is it today? 

Today is the day.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/BVN8754-1575899816-23-0-136

And here's the flight to go pick him and his family up for the press conference. They obviously went back home to make final preparations to move to Austin. 

If Texas misses on a group of top DC targets and ends up with Ash, then fine. Maybe he'd work out; just going from Orlando to (relatively) average wins us a couple of games this past year, and Ash could potentially be better than that. I'm hoping that Ash is a safeties coach/co DC with someone like Odom being the other primary DC. Or maybe there are some better NFL assistants or someone like the ISU or a Pac 12 DC out there, or maybe Saban replaces Golding? I just want a real search rather than a faux search with Ash always being the guy. 

The ridiculous thing is that Orlando is probably just as talented as other candidates. He just could not adjust. Bizarre.

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

Agree. “Ownership is the biggest competitive advantage in sports.” Our AD is flush with cash and there is no way Chris Ash is the best available choice with the money we have to offer. They can limit our scholarships, but they can’t limit how much we invest in our coaches and facilities. 

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

I’m concerned about the reports of Ash being a dick that wasn’t liked by his players.

seems like we just dealt with that and the team was on the verge of mutiny. 

we want to do that again?

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m concerned about the reports of Ash being a dick that wasn’t liked by his players.

There's that echo again.

I've only seen "message board posts" on Surly of Ash being a "dick", "asshole". Outside of the normal coach style of dick and asshole, it would be cool to see/hear some examples. 

Only thing I could find were Rutgers players who were bummed to see him fired, and Ohio State players who playfully teased him during the transition to Rutgers. 

• Like 2

What day is it today? 

Today is the day.

Logic is hubris

The clues are our real future

Today is the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Davis said on the Horn yesterday that if Ash was the guy it would have already been announced.  He also said that Herman might not announce until after the Bowl Game.  He also said he has no clue and only Herman knows.  

The real positive about all this so far is that no one knows anything which shows how better run the AD department is now vs the shit show that was going on trying to hire a baseball coach and Sterlin Gilbert just a few years ago.

Just now, TexTexTex said:

Brian Davis said on the Horn yesterday that if Ash was the guy it would have already been announced.  He also said that Herman might not announce until after the Bowl Game.  He also said he has no clue and only Herman knows.  

The real positive about all this so far is that no one knows anything which shows how better run the AD department is now vs the shit show that was going on trying to hire a baseball coach and Sterlin Gilbert just a few years ago.

Perrin wasn't a real AD.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

Brilliant insider info by Davis.  TH might announce soon, or he might announce later.  We don't really know.

• Like 3