2020 Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The ridiculous thing is that Orlando is probably just as talented as other candidates. He just could not adjust. Bizarre.

The ridiculous thing is that he will probably get a job somewhere like USF and kill it. I imagine in a couple years him being a hot commodity again. 

1 minute ago, texasdonghorns said:

The only thing preventing us from landing Scalley is his connection to the LDS church, right?

If we were able to put together a band of Morman extremists and wage a holy war against Austin, we might be able to claim the city in the name of LDS. At that point there would be no reason for him to turn us down!

that sounds like an aggy fantasy, aggy

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

I didn't think I'd see the day when so many dudes on Surly wanted info so badly about a coaching search that they longed for the days of self-important boosters with big yapping mouths flying all over the country "helping out".

In hard times monkeys will eat hot peppers.

• Like 1

If all those coordinators were hired and in place today could they coach the bowl game?   If yes,  then get on it. 

doesn’t he want the coordinators in place before signing day? Or does not want these kids to back out? Kind of a dick move if he’s scared they will back out

and lastly maybe the guys he wants have busy schedules making playoff arrangements / plans.  If that’s the case take your time Tom we can wait patiently.   

This is a pretty good blog that breaks down Odom's time at Memphis and his first couple of years at Missouri (as DC).  

https://mgoblog.com/diaries/dcc-closer-look-barry-odom

Who is Barry Odom?

Odom is a "Missouri Man" through and through.  Played there as a MLB.  Was a football admin and then defensive coach there (safeties).  Then he had to leave to be a defensive coordinator as Missouri had a long term one there on Pinkel's staff.   Age 39.

He went to Memphis for 3 years and took an awful D and built it up year after year - by year 3 it had excellent metrics for a non P5.  Again let me emphasize with these spread offenses today you can go to a non P5 and make a top 20 offense.  You can do it at the bottom of the P5 too (seee Indiana or Washington State)  Schemes help offense a lot more than defense.  Building a top 20 defense or near it without elite athletes is damn hard as scheme can only take you so far - you need the horses.  So his annual progress at Memphis and his final product in 2014 both impress.  I also like that Memphis defense fell dramatically this year when he left - it shows me the defense suffered without him. 

Then he took over a Missouri defense this year which had metrics similar to GMatt UM and kept is steady despite a steady outflow of NFL draft picks from the front 4 especially (and front 7 in general) in recent years.   This despite coaching a 3-4 at Memphis and converting to a 4-3 at Missouri. 

One other caveat this year - Missouri's offense was horrible so the defense was on the field a ton.  Missouri lost to UConn 9-6.  They lost to Georgia 9-6.  They lost to Vanderbilt 10-3.  They beat BYU 20-16 (woo hoo offensive explosion).  So Odom got little help from the offense this year.

The chart.

dFEI dS&P+ Tot Def
Memphis      
2011 104 116 117
2012 82 85 50
2013 69 49 39
2014 31 23 27
2015 52 69 78

Mizz      
2014 19 15 23
2015 22 15 9

Is it moot to consider Barry Odom?

In a perfect world Pinkel would have stuck around a few more years to give the still relatively green (only 4 yrs coordinating incl only 1 in a P5) some time to grow into an eventual replacement.   But with Pinkel's health issues Missouri doesn't have that option.  From all accounts their AD is really hitting the pavement and meeting with many established head coaches, especially in Western regions and even Cal's coach has recently entered the mix.

Meanwhile Memphis lost Justin Fuente (who identified Odom - so if you believe Fuente is a good coach and good coaches find coaching talent, another feather in Odom's hat) so Odom was target #1.  But Odom is trying to do a delicate dance - obviously the Mizzou job would be his dream job - he could be their Pat Fitzgerald.  But he is not option #1 for Mizzou as he has no HC experience.... while he was for Memphis.  So that whole thing has been going on while most of the rest of the world is caught up in Kirby Smart and Mark Richt.

As of yesterday it appears Memphis got tired of waiting and closed the door on Odom as he slow played them too long.  But until Memphis gets a coach hired it's not "over" in my eyes. So maybe Odom will be a moot point ...or maybe not.  The next few days should tell the tale with the main domino being Missouri.

'Crootin?

I find it impossible to really judge 1 guy in isolation on 'crooting because the school matters, the head coach matters, the conference matters.  You are not getting bad a$$ talent to Memphis no matter what.  I did find this snippet but take it for what it's worth:

He is well-regarded as a tactician, a recruiter, and potential administrator. He was seen by some as Mizzou's best recruiter during his first Pinkel stint, and he was generally thought of as a steady, organized position coach.

Stick around factor?

No I don't see him sticking around for 4-5 years.  UM fans have to get used to this, we will lose coaches often in 2-3 year snippets. I don't think any coordinator under Harbaugh under the age of 55 will be around long term as they will be in demand elsewhere.  And Odom is at an age that a few years of success at UM would make him highly coveted.  He is also very driven to be a HC one day.  If he was hired at UM you might however get 4 years out of him if he wants the Mizzou job.... if the  new Mizzou HC hire looks like he could be in trouble in year 3/4.

System

As mentioned above Odom ran a 3-4 at Memphis (out of necessity due to lack of DL) but shifted to a 4-3 at Missouri.  Football geeks can read all about it here.  If it makes your eyes roll into the back of your head skip ahead.

Steckel's (prior Missouri DC) methods included both under- and over-shifted fronts, with the over defining more of the philosophy. He had the DEs lining up as right or left no matter the strength of the offensive formation, thus changing whether Mizzou was playing a strongside or weakside technique. They'd set the better pass rusher to the right so that he could take more blindside shots at right-handed QBs. 

The entire front would play aggressive, looking to get into the backfield and relying on the zone eyes of the defenders behind them to clean up anything that got through. This style made them vulnerable to giving up ground, but as long as they didn't allow big gains, the disruption could kill drives.  Kuligowski did a great job finding athletes to develop, then unchaining them in aggressive schemes.

Odom's Memphis 3-4 was not the kind of two-gapping style that would make for a polar opposite to Steckel's 4-3, but there will be some degree of shift from one scheme to another. While Steckel would set his defensive ends as left or right, Odom's Memphis played only one true pass-rushing DE on the field at a time, at a weakside end/linebacker hybrid position. He lined up a true linebacker as the strongside on the opposite end.

The positions are different than the 4-3 over style that Missouri has been playing, but the difference is essentially the difference between the under and over schools of defense. Odom's players still used single-gap techniques.

Various reference articles and snippets:

Controlled chaos: How Barry Odom's past affects Missouri's future

We are already aware of his black and gold steeped past, but an unknown quantity still remains. Come August, Odom will be charged with keeping Mizzou’s streak of nasty defenses alive. So just how the hell is he going to do it?

To answer that question, I watched all of the game-film that I could get my hands on from Memphis’ 2014 campaign. That included the entirety of the Miami Beach Bowl, which pitted Odom’s former Tigers against the Cougars of BYU, and... nothing else. Try as I might, that was the only full game of Memphis’ that I could locate.

SPOILER: This defense is going to be fun as hell to watch.

Gone will be the Missouri staple of relying on only the defensive line to create pressure. In it’s place, a new style of havoc will emerge; one that isn’t afraid to send any and all of its players hurtling towards the opposing quarterback. Linebackers and cornerbacks alike will abandon their posts and blitz – yes, blitz – with regularity, which will be quite the departure from the blitz-starved defenses that Tiger fans became accustomed to under Steckel.

At Memphis, versatile meant lots of blitzes from lots of positions with lots of different paths for the blitzing player to take to the quarterback. Creativity was the name of the game. Taking into considering how often Odom blitzed, it had to be. Keep sending the linebacker barreling through the outermost gap and the offense is bound to see a pattern eventually.

To avoid this, Odom was constantly mixing things up. One play, a linebacker would crash the edge. The next, that same player would start outside, only to have an end cut underneath him while he stunted inside.

It's a defense that isn't afraid of risk. One that aims to smack you square in the mouth from every direction. Odom will have an incredibly active defense. He's going to blitz the hell out of teams (which I'm sure has Kentrell Brothers' mouth watering), and he's going to do so in a wide variety of ways. It's a departure from previous Missouri defenses, but one that I think fans will come to welcome. Maybe even adore.

Barry Odom deserves to be Missouri's new coach

Now that the regular season is over, let’s take a look at Mizzou’s final defensive numbers under Barry Odom.

• The Tigers are second nationally in tackles for loss at 8.83 per game.
  • They are seventh in scoring defense, allowing 16.2 points per game.
  • They are seventh in pass defense, allowing 169.3 yards per game.
  • They are ninth in total defense, allowing 302.0 yards per game.

That’s a top-10 finish in every important statistical category except for turnovers.

By the way, Missouri finished 117th in time of possession this season. That means that only 11 defenses were on the field longer than the Tigers.

The 2015 Mizzou defense was better than the 2014 unit in just about every statistical category except for turnovers; the ’14 Tigers caused 22 and the ’15 caused 16.

What makes these improvements even more remarkable? Last season’s defense was led by Shane Ray, the SEC defensive player of the year and a first-round pick of the Denver Broncos. Markus Golden was drafted in the second round by the Arizona Cardinals. Braylon Webb, who was a three-year starter and arguably Missouri’s best safety since William Moore, was lost to graduation. And Harold Brantley, who is one of the most athletic defensive tackles in the country, didn’t play this because of an offseason car accident.

I’ve mentioned this before, but when Odom took over as defensive coordinator, he also took over the linebackers. During that time, he took Kentrell Brothers from relative obscurity and turned him into arguably the best linebacker in the country.

Image result for barry odom

Odom's gamble brings him back to Mizzou

Odom’s brand will come in the form of some wrinkles to a Missouri defense that for 15 years under coach Gary Pinkel has operated with a four-man defensive front. At Memphis, Odom inherited a roster with ample linebackers and few readymade linemen. He cooked up a 3-4 defense that improved statistically each season, peaking last year when Memphis allowed just 19.5 points a game. Odom won’t dismantle Mizzou’s 4-3 system — the Tigers have been recruiting linemen and linebackers to fit that scheme for years — but he’ll mix in some three-man looks this fall.

When spring practices begin March 10, he’ll inherit a defense that returns seven starters. Odom joked that his first tasks were finding departed defensive end Markus Golden another year of eligibility and convincing SEC defensive player of the year Shane Ray to stay for his senior season. Instead, he’ll be without both star linemen.

Odom eage to put stamp on Mizzou defense

The first question on everyone’s mind, including someone who stopped Odom at the grocery store on Tuesday: Will the Tigers run a 4-3 defense or a 3-4? Missouri has always used a base four-man front under Pinkel. Odom ran a 3-4 base defense at Memphis (three linemen, four linebackers) the last three seasons.

Memphis’ defensive roster was thin when Odom joined Justin Fuentes’ staff for the 2012 season. The Tigers were especially short on readymade defensive linemen.  “We had more linebacker body types when I started there and we didn't have many defensive linemen,” he said. “Number one, structurally that’s why we went to what we did. And then had some success my first year and said, ‘Hey, let’s really piece this together and start recruiting those body types and continue to build it that way.’”

Odom's past, present, future collide at MU

When Missouri hired Odom on Dec. 23, it made the 38-year-old the youngest defensive coordinator in the Southeastern Conference, beating out Kentucky’s D.J. Eliot by about three months.  He’s the sixth-youngest defensive coordinator among a group of 69 at the Power 5 schools and Notre Dame, a coach only six years removed from landing his first on-field job at the collegiate level.

Memphis’ defense ranked 117th in the FBS in yards allowed per game the year before Odom arrived. He left it 28th.  “I think he’s done a good job of tweaking or adjusting his scheme to fit his personnel,” Fuente said. “That’s one of the most important things you can do as a coach: try and hide guys that put you at a little bit of a disadvantage, try not to put those guys in bad situations.  “I think it speaks to his versatility to switch those things up and develop a system with terminology that they could build. It’s easy to understand yet looks complicated.”

• Like 1

Just now, Minor Orangeblack said:

Mangino, wow there’s so much there to unpack
While his disdain for Texas might be palpable. His love for pasta is even more evident and we are all very well aware of Herman’s affinity towards Ravioli .

I see what you did there, sir. 

I'm sure his wardrobe trunks alone are probably 2-3 whole shipping containers. 

Reading that rundown on Odom, he seems he would be a great hire.  Instead of trying to out scheme defensively, he just puts the athletes in best positions to succeed.  Also seeing him have no issues to change his defensive front from a 3-4 at memphis to a 4-3 while at mizzu shows that he can adapt unlike our ex DC.

Reading this thread this morning I'm a bit bummed, it doesn't feel like it will be today. We have 10 days until the first signing day, seems we need a week or so prior to reach out to certain recruits to get them back in the fold/provide some reassurance. Is there a dead period coming up prior to that signing day?

Just now, texifornia said:

Yes, it's a song quote. Generally, when someone puts a song quote up on their social media, it's because at that place in time, the quote/lyric means something more than just "oh okay cool a song lyric"

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah,  if I quote, “fuck the world, for all it’s worth, every inch of planet earth”, it has nothing to do with my current mood as a Texas fan. Just jamming out to some Pantera...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yes, it's a song quote. Generally, when someone puts a song quote up on their social media, it's because at that place in time, the quote/lyric means something more than just "oh okay cool a song lyric"

Eh, high school/college kids posting emo song lyrics on social media is both common and could mean literally anything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

This thread so far this morning has me wanting to post these lyrics

I'm feeling more alone
Than I ever have before
She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly
Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere

Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere...Harrell is at USC which is just off the West Coast. Harrell to Texas as our OC confirmed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, high school/college kids posting emo song lyrics on social media is both common and could mean literally anything.

You're right, it absolutely could mean nothing, but generally people who post a depressing liner from a song's lyrics on their social media aren't feeling too happy at the moment. 

(Gunna EDIT this to add that I'm not saying it has anything to do with his standing within the program, feelings about it, injury or whatever. Could be about a girlfriend for all we know. Just saying, those aren't exactly deep lyrics to share without maybe some feeling behind it)

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, texasdonghorns said:

The only thing preventing us from landing Scalley is his connection to the LDS church, right?

If we were able to put together a band of Morman extremists and wage a holy war against Austin, we might be able to claim the city in the name of LDS. At that point there would be no reason for him to turn us down!

493.jpg

If it’s lyrics you want,

I told her, I'm 18 and live a crazy life
Plus I'll tell you what the 80's like
And i know what the ladies like
Need a man that's polite, listens, and takes advice
I could be all three, plus I could lay the pipe
Come wit me, come stay the night
She looked at me laughin' , like boy your game is tight
I'm laughin' back like sho' ya right
Get in the car
And don't touch nothing, sit in the car