2020 Coaching Staff

8 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-fcs-tx-considering-multiple-coaches-with-fbs-coordinator-experience/

Tim Beck, who Tom Herman recently reassigned on the Longhorns staff after previously serving as the program’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach since joining the staff in 2017, as well as Southern Miss co-offensive coordinator / wide receivers coach Scotty Walden are both very much in the mix sources tell FootballScoop.

Beck followed Tom Herman to Texas in 2017 after working together at Ohio State for two seasons. He’s been an assistant and coordinator at the major college level dating back to 2005 when he made the jump from head coach at Mansfield Summit HS (TX) to Kansas wide receivers coach. He added the pass game coordinator title with the Jayhawks in 2007, left to coach the running backs at Nebraska in 2008 and moved to quarterbacks with the offensive coordinator designation for the Huskers in 2011.

Herman's coaching tree continues to bloom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-fcs-tx-considering-multiple-coaches-with-fbs-coordinator-experience/

Tim Beck, who Tom Herman recently reassigned on the Longhorns staff after previously serving as the program’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach since joining the staff in 2017, as well as Southern Miss co-offensive coordinator / wide receivers coach Scotty Walden are both very much in the mix sources tell FootballScoop.

Beck followed Tom Herman to Texas in 2017 after working together at Ohio State for two seasons. He’s been an assistant and coordinator at the major college level dating back to 2005 when he made the jump from head coach at Mansfield Summit HS (TX) to Kansas wide receivers coach. He added the pass game coordinator title with the Jayhawks in 2007, left to coach the running backs at Nebraska in 2008 and moved to quarterbacks with the offensive coordinator designation for the Huskers in 2011.

Honestly I think Beck would make a good head coach.

48 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

CDC and the football program need some serious PR and marketing help. We are out of alignment, there is a local marketing company in Austin that helped a fast food chicken chain, net an estimated $100 million in revenue gain from a single tweet. This whole waiting it out, is a bunch of nonsense, unless we are waiting for Saban to finish up his season so we can offer him the DB’s job and go after Kyle Shanahan for the QB coach, ....please. it’s obvious he is pulling the we are in no hurry line, when he has already promised the job to one of his buddies with no real search to be had. 

You should post more.  Great content.

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, the mobile app shows mutual followers first. It just means that OP is following Dajon Harrison and Hayden Connor.

I just read another tweet that said so. Perhaps linking the original tweet would have provided more clarity than me just saying so. I have no idea how to track followers and who and when they followed, etc.

1 hour ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

CDC and the football program need some serious PR and marketing help. We are out of alignment, there is a local marketing company in Austin that helped a fast food chicken chain, net an estimated $100 million in revenue gain from a single tweet. This whole waiting it out, is a bunch of nonsense, unless we are waiting for Saban to finish up his season so we can offer him the DB’s job and go after Kyle Shanahan for the QB coach, ....please. it’s obvious he is pulling the we are in no hurry line, when he has already promised the job to one of his buddies with no real search to be had. 

yeah, that isn't the case.

i assume you are talking about Popeyes and the chicken sandwich with GSD&M.

1) it was a press release not a tweet 

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/im-back-popeyes-announces-official-return-date-of-its-sold-out-chicken-sandwich

unless you honest to god think that this tweet, with 5k retweets and 31k likes was worth $100m in which case you are incorrect

2) the tweet that i assume you are talking about is this tweet from October 28th, when they annoucned it was coming back

which only has 31k retweets and 87k likes, and is so hilariously far down the most liked and tweeted tweet of 2019 it isn't even funny.

either way, neither of those tweets specifically made them $100m. wonder how much they lost by it not being on the market for ~60 days.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

I just read another tweet that said so. Perhaps linking the original tweet would have provided more clarity than me just saying so. I have no idea how to track followers and who and when they followed, etc.

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

link it

Quite certain it's this one. I say we get our pitchforks!

Apparently Gabe doesn't understand the twitters either.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

After you resolve the tweet confusion, I'm going to need you to redraw the longhorn on Bam Bam's club so that it follows the contour of the club and has realistic shading.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Odom would give me the warm fuzzies

He’d probably be my favorite of the names on the list so far, but he’s not a home run hire either. He did a great job at Memphis, then inherited a top 10 defense at Mixzou and kept them there for a year as DC, then really fell off for 2 years as HC and then got them back up to solid his last two years. He has a pretty good resume, but there are still some question marks with him.  He’s only been a P5 DC for one year and hasn’t faced much in the way of quality offenses while at Missouri.

Other note about Odom is that Most of the Mixzou fans seemed to like him even after he was fired. If you compare their comments about Odom as a person/coach compared to Ash and Rutgers, it’s about as stark of a contrast as Jersey Man and South Austin’s mom’s sexual histories. 

Here’s Odom’s numbers as DC/HC:

Memphis 

2011 (year before he was DC. They were like 2-10 this year, so talent level Odom inherited was low): 113 in FEI, 111 in S&P

2012: 65, 73

2013: 64, 50

2014: 27, 32

2015 (year after he left): 59, 82

Mizzou:

2014 (year before): 11, 8

2015: 8, 3. One thing I’d note about the 2015 numbers is that 8 of the top 16 defenses that year were in the SEC (including aggy lulz), so either their defenses were just that elite or facing shitty, basic offenses can really inflate even “adjusted” defensive rankings. I’ll let you decide which conclusion to draw.

2016 (became HC): 90, 85

2017: 88, 61

2018: 25, 25

2019: 34.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

The mania over the Popeye's chicken sandwich, stoked by some timely tweets from Austin-based marketing firm GSD&M, has created more than $110 million in earned value for the fried chicken chain.

The mania over the Popeye's chicken sandwich, stoked by some timely tweets from Austin-based marketing firm GSD&M, has created more than $110 million in earned value for the fried chicken chain.

And you read that as "helped a fast food chicken chain, net an estimated $100 million in revenue gain from a single tweet"?

I also helped by buying two sandwiches.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’d probably be my favorite of the names on the list so far, but he’s not a home run hire either. He did a great job at Memphis, then inherited a top 10 defense at Mixzou and kept them there for a year as DC, then really fell off for 2 years as HC and then got them back up to solid his last two years. He has a pretty good resume, but there are still some question marks with him.  He’s only been a P5 DC for one year and hasn’t faced much in the way of quality offenses while at Missouri.

Other note about Odom is that Most of the Mixzou fans seemed to like him even after he was fired. If you compare their comments about Odom as a person/coach compared to Ash and Rutgers, it’s about as stark of a contrast as Jersey Man and South Austin’s mom’s sexual histories. 

Memphis 

2011 (year before he was DC. They were like 2-10 this year, so talent level Odom inherited was low): 113 in FEI, 111 in S&P

Mizzou:

2015: 8, 3. One thing I’d note about the 2015 numbers is that 8 of the top 16 defenses that year were in the SEC (including aggy lulz), so either their defenses were just that elite or facing shitty, basic offenses can really inflate even “adjusted” defensive rankings. I’ll let you decide which conclusion to draw.

What is your idea of a realistic home run hire?

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned already, but in their last free update (which means it's probably a couple days old donor update) from yesterday, they said they believed if Harrell wasn't announced by Wednesday it would be time to move onto another candidate. I wonder if that's realistic or not, but hey, lets go ahead and throw some fucking gas on this tire fire. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Memphis 

Mizzou:

Which DC is the 'home run' hire?

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned already, but in their last free update (which means it's probably a couple days old donor update) from yesterday, they said they believed if Harrell wasn't announced by Wednesday it would be time to move onto another candidate. I wonder if that's realistic or not, but hey, lets go ahead and throw some fucking as on this tire fire. 

Hell yeah let's throw some ass on the fire!

7 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

With a mere 15 characters, the advertising agency struck a collective nerve and set off a nationwide frenzy about the new Popeye's chicken sandwich — earning its client more than $110 million in earned media coverage and more than 14 billion impressions across all media platforms.

"... y'all good?" read the Aug. 19 tweet, a response to a Chick-fil-A post hyping its own chicken sandwich.

impressions and media coverage != actual revenue, in case you are not aware. 

sounds like CDC needs to revoke that job offer. 

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

What is your idea of a realistic home run hire?

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Which DC is the 'home run' hire?

With Herman’s hot seat and the mess that is his coaching staff currently, I don’t think there is a home run hire that we can realistically get. At least not a proven college DC, which is why I’d like to see us peruse the NFL position coaching ranks.

To be clear, I won’t complain if our coordinators end up being Harrell and Odom. I think that would be a really good pull considering the state of the program right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Apparently he didn't give a shit about winning the B12 either.  He didn't get it done.  He hung onto comfort hires for too long.  Now he is staring at year 4 with many new coaches and a deadline.  From an objective view, it's not looking good for him.  We will likely overpay for an OC and underpay on the comfort hire for DC.  We've seen this before.  TH"s hubris and arrogance cost us and him this year.  IMO, the overly physical practices were the foundation for all the injuries.  Did he really think drinking 8 glasses of water a day would keep players from typical football injuries?

Do you whine this much at home?

Being disappointed is one thing. Crying page after page is another. Sack up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned already, but in their last free update (which means it's probably a couple days old donor update) from yesterday, they said they believed if Harrell wasn't announced by Wednesday it would be time to move onto another candidate. I wonder if that's realistic or not, but hey, lets go ahead and throw some fucking gas on this tire fire. 

Actual quote.  Results may vary.

***On the OC front, I was asked if the previous post what my gut tells me on Graham Harrell…

***I have heard through the grapevine, and forgive me because it’s like third hand information in this case, that Texas could announce a new OC in the next day or two. That’s not something I have been able to confirm but I mention it here because to answer the question about which way I’m leaning…I’m cautiously optimistic that Texas can land Harrell.

***If tomorrow passes with no announcement then I think Wednesday is probably the last day and it’ll be about time to move on.

1 hour ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

CDC and the football program need some serious PR and marketing help. We are out of alignment, there is a local marketing company in Austin that helped a fast food chicken chain, net an estimated $100 million in revenue gain from a single tweet. This whole waiting it out, is a bunch of nonsense, unless we are waiting for Saban to finish up his season so we can offer him the DB’s job and go after Kyle Shanahan for the QB coach,

You have no idea what the fuck the AD is doing, so you can't possibly know if it's a sound strategy or not. I have no doubt you would bitch regardless of their tactics.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Has anyone tried the new Frenchy's chicken sandwich?  I wonder if it exceeds the quality of even the Popeyes sammich.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

With Herman’s hot seat and the mess that is his coaching staff currently, I don’t think there is a home run hire that we can realistically get. At least not a proven college DC, which is why I’d like to see us peruse the NFL position coaching ranks.

To be clear, I won’t complain if our coordinators end up being Harrell and Odom. I think that would be a really good pull considering the state of the program right now. 

I don't think hiring an NFL position coach with no DC experience (in college or the NFL) is likely going to be in Herman's best interest.  I know Brady is the gold standard for 'outside the box' college hires right now - but Ed O at least had Ensingmer (8 yrs exp as an OC in college) as the OC already on staff.

I can't see Herman trusting his coaching future to a guy with no college track record.  That's why I think its likely going to be someone like Ash/Odom - coaches with DC and HC experience at the college level. 

19 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

They didn’t use burnt orange as the background. Do not want.  

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I love when I open this thread to see a lot of new posts and assume that there must be an actual development.

Of course it's actually just chicken sandwich tweet debates, because why wouldn't it be?

Trust the process. On the way to unraveling the largest mystery in the universe, we can no doubt solve smaller mysteries along the way. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I love when I open this thread to see a lot of new posts and assume that there must be an actual development.

Of course it's actually just chicken sandwich tweet debates, because why wouldn't it be?

Don’t forget twitter followers, song lyrics, flight following, south Austin’s mom, and cow/calf updates. With Tuesday gone, buckle up for another week of non-update updates.

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I would ignore that line of thought 

• Like 1