2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I have to say, I'm actually encouraged by the fact this is taking a while. I was resigned to the fact that Herman would make more comfort hires because that's who he is.

But think about it. Let's all pretend for a minute that this hiring process is going exactly how we wanted it to go. Herman is not making comfort hires while only considering people he already knows. He is researching candidates, determining best fits for the program, interviewing the top candidates, and deciding from there. In this crazy world where Texas football is actually doing something right, where would we be 10 days after announcing we're making changes and 4 days after the regular season ends for all potential candidates?

We'd be right where we are. Rumors of candidates but no leaks from inside Bellmont. Internet fans who were whining 10 days ago about how we were going to make stupid comfort hires quickly now whining about how we haven't hired anyone yet so we're doomed. Don't get me wrong, I still don't see Herman surviving here long-term, but shouldn't we all admit that this might be going exactly how we wanted it to go when the Tech game went final?

Yes but Herman is terrible, and he should be fired convincingly.  

After the tech game Iwas hoping he would shove his face in a blender, then step down.  

Remind me again why we are wanting to make a Coordinator one of the if not the highest paid  that has as experience at OC of 3 years at North Texas and one at USC that didn’t face the best defenses there and had good talent?  I feel I’ve seen this story Play out before the last few years with the coaches...   Can we not just get a proven power five coach with crazy money or what?

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Remind me again why we are wanting to make a Coordinator one of the if not the highest that has as experience at OC of 3 years at North Texas and one at USC that didn’t face the best defenses there and had good talent?  I feel I’ve seen this story Play out before the last few years with the coaches...   Can we not just get a proven power five coach with crazy money or what?

Thanks for the evening reset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Remind me again why we are wanting to make a Coordinator one of the if not the highest paid  that has as experience at OC of 3 years at North Texas and one at USC that didn’t face the best defenses there and had good talent?  I feel I’ve seen this story Play out before the last few years with the coaches...   Can we not just get a proven power five coach with crazy money or what?

Proven P5 coordinators usually end up being lifers or head coaches somewhere. At least the good ones with a minimum of skeletons in their closet.

Harrell did a nice quick turnaround job in a very similar situation at USC and would be a plus recruiter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Because maybe we can't and it's not about the money?

8 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

LOL. Name these "proven power 5" coaches we should money whip.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The best OC’s in college football are already Head Coaches.  If you want a kick-ass OC you need to take a chance on a younger guy - that’s Harrell. 

31 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Because Joe Brady.  Unless you’d prefer Greg Davis and his proven resume?

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The best OC’s in college football are already Head Coaches.  If you want a kick-ass OC you need to take a chance on a younger guy - that’s Harrell. 

Maybe I’m just a bit gun shy about coaches with small time success being hired now but I’d prefer at this point someone with more then 4 years at OC and 3 of those being at North Texas and just making them one of the highest paid, like we have pretty much done recently with no success. It’s better then what we had sure, but I’d just like more experience. 

38 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Name one. There are no current OCs that have an elite record of success at the P5 that is long unless they are a lifer at their school. Everyone else has about 2-3 good 5 years as an OC and then become a G5 HC.

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Maybe I’m just a bit gun shy about coaches with small time success being hired now but I’d prefer at this point someone with more then 4 years at OC and 3 of those being at North Texas and just making them one of the highest paid, like we have pretty much done recently with no success. It’s better then what we had sure, but I’d just like more experience. 

If it’s the coach you want, you pay what it takes to get him. Otherwise, you get the coach available in your price range.

As pointed out, most successful OCs are already HCs unless they’re young. 

Lincoln Riley

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Great! Give us some names.  We're on pins and needles here.

I'm of the opinion that hiring an offensive coordinator isn't about power 5 skins on the wall vs hiring a guy that has a bold,  innovative,  and exciting offense that can translate to power 5. Gundy did a google search and found his from a small college a few years ago and worked great. Many would be happy with Eric Morris and I wouldn't flinch if that was the hire.

I do believe that you need a defensive coordinator from a power 5 school or experience from a power 5 with success. If rocky long didn't have the best gig in America (live in san Diego,  no pressure,  school isn't worried about him leaving as he's up there in age, and he's winning every year),   I would love to have his mind here in austin.

I don't know who would work on defense but I am more confident that good offensive minds are more readily available that a good defensive coordinator. 

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'm of the opinion that hiring an offensive coordinator isn't about power 5 skins on the wall vs hiring a guy that has a bold,  innovative,  and exciting offense that can translate to power 5. Gundy did a google search and found his from a small college a few years ago and worked great. Many would be happy with Eric Morris and I wouldn't flinch if that was the hire.

I do believe that you need a defensive coordinator from a power 5 school or experience from a power 5 with success. If rocky long didn't have the best gig in America (live in san Diego,  no pressure,  school isn't worried about him leaving as he's up there in age, and he's winning every year),   I would love to have his mind here in austin.

I don't know who would work on defense but I am more confident that good offensive minds are more readily available that a good defensive coordinator. 

Since you're throwing out OC names, I stumbled on an article from TCU folks on this.  One name mentioned was:  

Rob Sale, Louisiana Offensive Coordinator

"Sale took over the Ragin’ Cajuns’ offense in 2018, and the unit ranked 53rd in SP+, 5th in explosiveness. The Cajuns scored early and often, and were a whole lot of fun. They rank 56.7% of the time, 27th in the nation, and while that number doesn’t account for garbage time or context, it does indicate that Sale isn’t afraid to run option concepts. UL’s 2019 offense ranks 16th overall, which is insane for a Sun Belt team, and honestly, it’s a shock that Billy Napier hasn’t gotten a job.

Watch the highlights of the Coastal Carolina game. The Cajuns scored on 7/8 drives in that game, and only stopped scoring as to not twist the knife in the game. They passed, they ran, and they downright confused their opponents. You see them throwing screens, yes, but they’re not only throwing screens. They’re varying their formations, they’re adding tags, play-action, pre-snap motion. All of those are upgrades to TCU’s current system of “throw the ball to a guy and hope he gets past a defender.” Modern offenses, like UL’s under Sale, are focused on numbers advantages, not just speed advantages. Again, Sale has done this without an obvious talent advantage, and TCU would represent a substantial upgrade in talent for him. Sale would be an absolute coup at co-OC, even as play-caller for TCU.  Another strength of Sale? He spent 2007-2011 at Alabama, on the front lines as Saban built his dynasty. Can’t hurt."

https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/12/11/20995671/the-list-interesting-candidates-to-help-tcus-offense

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Great! Give us some names.  We're on pins and needles here.

Rodriguez, Morehead, Yost, Elliott, Ludwig...  I’m sure hate will come from that list but idk, as long as it isn’t as predictable as most our offense with any small lead this year I’ll be happy and if they can actually call a qb sneak up the middle under center, RB push from behind on a 3rd or 4th and 1 or less instead of a qb drawl from 5 yards back, I’m happy.