2020 Coaching Staff

On 12/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

I can't believe people pay actual money to these sites. I'm thankful to those who do, but why? We have posters here who could hit a dartboard with more accuracy than anything those rubes are typing out. 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL, could you imagine if pro sports was the same way? Paying 9.95 a month for Dallas cowboys info.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:43 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Dude, I'm a hard core Bucs fan, and I would NEVER pay a dime for info, so I can't imagine Cowboys/Texans fans doing it. That would suuuuuuck getting your hopes up each year while paying. I guess I've accepted we suck, so I don't need to send money to read about it. 

Speaking of the 9.95ers, did y'all ever notice the rest of the CFB/Sports media doesn't respect them? It's amusing when national sports media outlets won't credit a 9.95er for breaking a story because the 9.95er has the story behind a paywall.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Speaking of the 9.95ers, did y'all ever notice the rest of the CFB/Sports media doesn't respect them? It's amusing when national sports media outlets won't credit a 9.95er for breaking a story because the 9.95er has the story behind a paywall.

I've seen Chip Brown and Billy Looch interviewed on ESPN more than once each.

3 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

This is interesting, Chip Long rumored that he's exploring other options and won't return to ND as OC

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-chip-long-unlikely-to-return-to-notre-dame/

Welcome to Yesterday

19 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

19 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Do not want the article reads like a Herman presser. Throw the players under the bus.

Some folks say interesting. Other folks say Stagnant, predictable offense that beats up patsies and sucks against anyone with a pulse. Which sounds awfully familiar. 

There's no reason to do something dumb like hiring Chip Long or someone else who sucks shit through a straw.  If Herman can't find an OC who will be an upgrade over himself, he ought to go out and hire the best recruiters and developers to come and be position coaches.  And then just keep coordinating the offense, even if he doesn't want to.  Our offense was good last year, and if he had coaches who could actually develop WR talent and assist with scheme, it would have been excellent.

The only reason to go away from what has worked is if we can upgrade.  There's zero reason to take a step back by hiring someone like Chip fucking Long.  Frankly, I feel the same way about Rhett Lashlee.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

There's no reason to do something dumb like hiring Chip Long or someone else who sucks shit through a straw.  If Herman can't find an OC who will be an upgrade over himself, he ought to go out and hire the best recruiters and developers to come and be position coaches.  And then just keep coordinating the offense, even if he doesn't want to.  Our offense was good last year, and if he had coaches who could actually develop WR talent and assist with scheme, it would have been excellent.

The only reason to go away from what has worked is if we can upgrade.  There's zero reason to take a step back by hiring someone like Chip fucking Long.  Frankly, I feel the same way about Rhett Lashlee.

Hmmm, going back to the thing that failed miserably because he couldn’t do his most important job as a HC seems...insane?

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't have the same feelings about Lashlee as you do - but everything else i agree with.  

We hired one of the the best OC's in college football as our HC - and then almost immediately abandon the thing that made him a hot coaching commodity.  I think Herman as HC/OC/Play Caller would have worked if he hadn't hired a staff that was in over its head (out over their skis?)

I agree that unless there is a clear upgrade OC -  Herman needs to own this - take those OC dollars and money-whip a veteran A+ staff of recruiters/developers to support him.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Hmmm, our offense didn't fail miserably this past...season?

No, just the team as a whole, including morale, etc. 

Your points might be fair in the real world, but it doesn't matter, because in THIS reality that Herman has stated repeatedly is he hates being HC and OC, he doesn't think he has the time to do both effectively, and he's basically not going to fucking do it. So wish casting seems foolish. And at times our offense suffered tremendously this season under this dynamic. If you haven't figured out with his initial comfort hires, his reticence for firing anyone despite obvious systemic failures over the course of years until being forced to do so, and what looks like a new round of comfort hires, Herman is smarter than you, has it all figured out, and isn't all that open to change. So good luck changing his mind, sir. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, just the team as a whole, including morale, etc. 

Your points might be fair in the real world, but it doesn't matter, because in THIS reality that Herman has stated repeatedly is he hates being HC and OC, he doesn't think he has the time to do both effectively, and he's basically not going to fucking do it. So wish casting seems foolish. And at times our offense suffered tremendously this season under this dynamic. If you haven't figured out with his initial comfort hires, his reticence for firing anyone despite obvious systemic failures over the course of years until being forced to do so, and what looks like a new round of comfort hires, Herman is smarter than you, has it all figured out, and isn't all that open to change. So good luck changing his mind, sir. 

I mean, I agree that he should fix the morale issue.  And he should fix the shitty talent development we've seen the last year.  And he should fix the lack of fundamental coaching on defense. 

And I also agree that him coordinating the offense isn't something he's likely to actually do.  But it is what he should do, if he can't get Brady/Graham/someone sufficiently of that ilk.

22 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Ignoring rankings (standard or super duper adjusted), our offense was pretty bad in key conference games this year, when a chance to compete for the big 12 championship was on the line: OU, TCU, Iowa State, Baylor.  We were bland and predictable and had a shit ton of 3 and outs.  Whomever was in charge of that shitshow needs to not do it again or Herman will be gone.  We might quibble about whether it "failed miserably" or not, but it was not good when we needed to be, and it was due in large part to scheme and playcalling.  

• Like 2

Hmmm, going back to the thing that failed miserably because he couldn’t do his most important job as a HC seems...insane?
I agree with the point down thread about Herman not wanting to do both, but, you could easily argue that the reason he couldn't do both last season was that the rest of his staff was so incompetent that he had to micromanage everything.

Hire good people and delegate, and you'll find time to recreate how you do your job. Hire bad people and delegate, and you'll end up doing more work than before you hired them.

Herman was definitely in the latter camp this year, of his own doing. He wonders why guys like Riley can do both...it's because Riley can ignore some parts of his program and they still run well because of his staff.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Ignoring rankings (standard or super duper adjusted), our offense was pretty bad in key conference games this year, when a chance to compete for the big 12 championship was on the line: OU, TCU, Iowa State, Baylor.  We were bland and predictable and had a shit ton of 3 and outs.  Whomever was in charge of that shitshow needs to not do it again or Herman will be gone.  We might quibble about whether it "failed miserably" or not, but it was not good when we needed to be, and it was due in large part to scheme and playcalling.  

It was very inconsistent.  Remember:

We scored 3 fucking points in the first half against OU
4 fucking picks against TCU
Zero run game against ISU and couldn't fucking bleed the clock to end the game
3 points against Baylor.... (ignoring that bullshit final TD that was stupid AF) 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No, I'm thinking something more like ripping off his shirt and pressing his nipples against the windows to the tarmac screaming "SAVE ME BARRY ODOM" and "TAKE MY BUTTHOLE GRAHAM HARRELL!"

Let's have him at least put some lyrical thought into them.

How about:

"I'll suck your scrotum, Barry Odom!"

And maybe "Give me your barrel, Graham Harrell!"  Or "Let's be secretly gay like Lewis Carroll, Graham Harrell"? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I agree with the point down thread about Herman not wanting to do both, but, you could easily argue that the reason he couldn't do both last season was that the rest of his staff was so incompetent that he had to micromanage everything.

Hire good people and delegate, and you'll find time to recreate how you do your job. Hire bad people and delegate, and you'll end up doing more work than before you hired them.

Herman was definitely in the latter camp this year, of his own doing. He wonders why guys like Riley can do both...it's because Riley can ignore some parts of his program and they still run well because of his staff.

“Hire good people and delegate.”

couldn’t agree more. His hypothetical would show Herman can’t do part 1 of that, which is ultimately the most important part of his job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, I'm thinking something more like ripping off his shirt and pressing his nipples against the windows to the tarmac screaming "SAVE ME BARRY ODOM" and "TAKE MY BUTTHOLE GRAHAM HARRELL!"

I normally don’t laugh at anything posted on this or other forums but damn, I must give credit where it is due. You won this thread, shut it down after that take.

49 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

If we had a merely ok defense and halfway competent special teams, the offense would have scored more points per yards gained and the numbers would have looked much better. 

yes, the offense struggled to get out of its own way sometimes, but it is the least pressing issue about the team right now. 

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Page 91 is scrong.

Fatkid54 vacillates between being one of the biggest dipshits on this site and seeming informed and humorous. He swings more violently than a banker’s wife. 

13 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

I normally don’t laugh at anything posted on this or other forums but damn, I must give credit where it is due. You won this thread, shut it down after that take.

If you don’t laugh at things on Internet forums, then what the fuck are you doing on Internet forums? Are you above it all? Too refined or cool for it? The BBS equivalent of Ethan Hunt, never even caring to look at the explosions as you simply move forward, inform and solve problems? GTFO with that nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fatkid54 vacillates between being one of the biggest dipshits on this site and seeming informed and humorous. He swings more violently than a banker’s wife. 

If you don’t laugh at things on Internet forums, then what the fuck are you doing on Internet forums? Are you above it all? Too refined or cool for it? The BBS equivalent of Ethan Hunt, never even caring to look at the explosions as you simply move forward, inform and solve problems? GTFO with that nonsense. 

Sorry I’m just not one to type LOL at everything posted on the internet. I find things humorous yes, but to actually laugh uncontrollably, well that is something all together completely different