2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I know your keen to analyze his personality disorder(s). I’m convinced he has Aspergers. 

Refuted by the fact that he married a very attractive female. Whom he allegedly was able to convince to party with a stripper and blow. He may be an arrogant asshole (like many coaches), but he's definitely not on the spectrum.

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've been thinking for a while now that our next OC and DC are both working somewhere else, and won't leave their old jobs until after signing day, and that this thread would continue to get into a bigger and bigger spiral of obtuse poo-flinging and invertebrate taxonomy, and poor grammar etiology, and that I could therefore sit back and enjoy the shit-show.

I obviously still have no idea who the coordinator hires are going to be, but everything else is going pretty much as expected, so I'm gonna go pop some more popcorn and wait for something to happen next week, when Thursday is the new Tuesday.

English, motherfucker! Do I speak it?! (obviously not--at least not well enough)

From Burton via @satyanash (I don't care if it's already been posted, p100 needs something real on it)

Where am I at on the coordinator hires? I began with 50-50 odds on Graham Harrell verses the field. Perhaps I’m moving more to the less than 50-percent range, say 40-60. At the same time, I feel like it’s becoming more and more likely that Chris Ash will be the Horns’ next DC. I’d move those odds up to 90-10.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From Burton via @satyanash (I don't care if it's already been posted, p100 needs something real on it)

Where am I at on the coordinator hires? I began with 50-50 odds on Graham Harrell verses the field. Perhaps I’m moving more to the less than 50-percent range, say 40-60. At the same time, I feel like it’s becoming more and more likely that Chris Ash will be the Horns’ next DC. I’d move those odds up to 90-10.

Herman has got to go. This is getting ridiculous. Chris Ash is just as shitty a hire for DC as Time Beck was for OC when Herman first got here. Tom’s digging his grave

Edited by Cap Hooked
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

All things considered, it seems to feel like MensaTom is doing something weird... just weird enough that nobody has any idea WTF is going on. If the hires turn out to be awesomely epic, we'll all be shocked, but if it turns out to be Ash and uhhhh whodat, we will likely see an outpouring of hate and discontent. We only think we're a laughing-stock now.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

All things considered, it seems to feel like MensaTom is doing something weird... just weird enough that nobody has any idea WTF is going on. If the hires turn out to be awesomely epic, we'll all be shocked, but if it turns out to be Ash and uhhhh whodat, we will likely see an outpouring of hate and discontent. We only think we're a laughing-stock now.

It’s the hair plugs and having idiot friends. We should have seen this shit coming when he brought his 28 year old, Florida snot nose as his chief of staff. Tom needs someone to tell him how to act like a leader.

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

40% chance huh??  

giphy.gif

Well Hell Yeah... Spin the wheel!!

giphy.gif.

DAMN...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

uysD1-.gif

No no no no no. That's just a movie with a guy falling in love with and eventually having sex with a trans. I mean, that's not even homosexual in some circles, since she presents as female. Not even close to as gay as Top Gun.

Relevant section from the article on how Hafley improved tackling at Ohio State:

The Buckeyes are No. 2 in the nation in fewest yards per play allowed (3.54); they finished 72nd last season (5.77). More impressive, only three teams are allowing fewer plays of at least 30 yards per game than the Buckeyes, who host Michigan State on Saturday night. They have surrendered four in five games; in 2018, they allowed 39, which ranked No. 118.

One big reason is Ohio State is doing something most other teams are having a harder and harder time with: tackling. Coaches all over the country have lamented their inability to tackle as well as they used to because health and safety concerns have forced practice and drill schedules to change. The Buckeyes, though, are tackling better than they have in years. Hafley’s standard has not changed. On the team goals board, they work to have fewer than six or seven missed tackles a game. He told The Athletic the only time this season they missed that was in a 76-5 blowout of Miami (Ohio).

Hafley’s hiring was part of a defensive staff makeover undertaken by new coach Ryan Day. Only one defensive assistant from last season is still on the staff. “I think our scheme allows guys to line up and read their keys, and we talk a lot about leveraging the ball,” Hafley said. “So we put them in positions where they’re getting pretty good angles to the ball, and we’re in a scheme where we can get multiple people to the ball.”

The staff harps on leveraging the football. Translation: That means having a guy outside-in and a guy inside-out and two people to the ball, Hafley said. But the secret to sound tackling doesn’t really seem like it’s such a secret: The Buckeyes practiced tackling in camp. “The way we actually tackled to the ground in seven-on-seven,” he said. “The way we did today, on Tuesday (in early October), we did live tackling drills versus scout team running backs. Ryan (Day) asks me every Tuesday in a staff meeting, ‘You want to live tackle again today?’ And I look right at him and I say yes. And we do it.”

The Buckeyes do a four- or five-minute practice period to sharpen their tackling skills. For defensive backs, that means standing about 10 yards away from a ball carrier for a full-speed, live tackling rep. For linebackers, it’s the same thing, only they line up about 5 or 6 yards away. “And it’s full speed, where the ball carrier can cut back, he can take it up, and we’re tackling to the ground,” Hafley said.

The Buckeyes also did it in seven-on-seven, when they’d try to get tackling work in the last five plays or so and scripted it in a safe fashion. “If I wanted Damon Arnette to get a tackle at corner, I’d have them play off, without anybody really knowing, and Ryan would throw a hitch out there and we’d have to tackle,” Hafley said. “Or we’d run a swing pass and set it up where (linebacker) Malik (Harrison) would have to run inside-out and tackle him.” Hafley came to Ohio State after seven seasons coaching defensive backs in the NFL. That experience shaped his belief that tackling skills are like a muscle that can get soft and needs work to remain toned.

“What I learned in the NFL was in the first preseason game, you’re terrible at tackling,” he said. “The second game, you’re a little bit better, and by the third, you’re almost ready to play it. You’re figuring all those preseason games, everybody probably gets three or four tackles in those preseason games, three or four live tackles, because the starters don’t play a whole bunch. So our goal, where in college football you don’t have any preseason games, is to have each starter get a handful of live tackles to kind of simulate a scrimmage or a preseason game. That way, the first time we weren’t really tackling somebody was the first game of the season, and we felt the safe way to do it was in seven-on-seven, where we could control it.”

• Like 3