2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

40 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Why are we yelling?

I’m pissed? Actually, I’ve calmed down a bit since this afternoon. I’d like to get a refund for my season tickets for most of this decade. Not gonna happen. I guess Herman’s arrogance triggers me. It’s fine if my coach is an asshole when he is winning. But when we are losing and regressing and have some of the worst stats in all of FBS...his arrogance is unacceptable to me and I almost want his ass to fail so he’ll be fired. I just hate the state of our program right now and wonder what that will do to it. Will we fuck up yet another hire? 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m pissed? Actually, I’ve calmed down a bit since this afternoon. I’d like to get a refund for my season tickets for most of this decade. Not gonna happen. I guess Herman’s arrogance triggers me. It’s fine if my coach is an asshole when he is winning. But when we are losing and regressing and have some of the worst stats in all of FBS...his arrogance is unacceptable to me and I almost want his ass to fail so he’ll be fired. I just hate the state of our program right now and wonder what that will do to it. Will we fuck up yet another hire? 

season 3 episode 23 GIF

1 hour ago, Froghorn717 said:

Because he’s dangerously egotistical. So much so he wants someone to call *his* offense. Remember that magazine cover and he was drawing up plays? His entire identity is wrapped up in being an “offensive genius”. “The Tom Herman offense”. 

Seemingly his arrogance won’t allow him to cede ownership and it could cost him his “dream job”. Herman hiring GH would be a positive step showing not only does he not have all the answers but he also acknowledges he doesn’t have all the answers. 

it would show some growth. I don’t have high hopes for that growth. I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised. 

Jesus man, he's been quoted as saying he hates calling plays because it gets in the way of doing actual head coach things. If he was that arrogant about it, there's no way he'd say that.

If there's any truth to all this, it might be around keeping some aspects of his preferred offense or some assistants. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus man, he's been quoted as saying he hates calling plays because it gets in the way of doing actual head coach things. If he was that arrogant about it, there's no way he'd say that.

If there's any truth to all this, it might be around keeping some aspects of his preferred offense or some assistants. 

I was pretty clear that he wants someone to call *his* offense. What about him having second thoughts about bringing in GH because he doesn’t want to give up control is difficult to understand? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Froghorn717 said:

I was pretty clear that he wants someone to call *his* offense. What about him having second thoughts about bringing in GH because he doesn’t want to give up control is difficult to understand? 

I think that wanting to hire someone willing to run aspects of the power spread he won a championship with is perhaps a mistake, but pretty far from the megalomaniacal levels of arrogance you're implying.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think that wanting to hire someone willing to run aspects of the power spread he won a championship with is perhaps a mistake, but pretty far from the megalomaniacal levels of arrogance you're implying.

Herms job is on the line.  Wanting input into his remaining staff is not megalomaniacal, especially given Graham’s age.  

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He also said offensive game planning is taking up too much of his time, but it sounds like he wants to remain intimately involved with the offense 

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Got some good stuff this morning. Herman is the hold up on Harrell, not the other way around. Doesn’t want to relinquish control and is having second thoughts.

Sounds like he’s going to be a fucking idiot.

This theory is interesting as I spoke with someone early last week that discussed our opening with a D1 coordinator (not a candidate for Texas job) and said they didn't think GH would happen if USC got close to matching $$ because nobody thinks Herman will actually give up control of the offense.  Not in a former OC's DNA.  So thought GH would just play this for a raise/guaranteed $$ from USC as he would want to run his own show. I held up hope Herman had actually turned that page and was willing to go outside of his comfort zone (because seriously, why are we even talking to GH if we weren't willing to overhaul offensive scheme). But if reports of Herman wanted to maintain his "offense" are true, then yeah, we're going to be disappointed.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This theory is interesting as I spoke with someone early last week that discussed our opening with a D1 coordinator (not a candidate for Texas job) and said they didn't think GH would happen if USC got close to matching $$ because nobody thinks Herman will actually give up control of the offense.  Not in a former OC's DNA.  So thought GH would just play this for a raise/guaranteed $$ from USC as he would want to run his own show. I held up hope Herman had actually turned that page and was willing to go outside of his comfort zone (because seriously, why are we even talking to GH if we weren't willing to overhaul offensive scheme). But if reports of Herman wanted to maintain his "offense" are true, then yeah, we're going to be disappointed.  

Just as a quick counter point, Helton is also a former OC turned HC. Do agree that Herman seems less willing to change it than Helton though.

23 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Just as a quick counter point, Helton is also a former OC turned HC. Do agree that Herman seems less willing to change it than Helton though.

I don't think Helton was ever the main playcaller for USC and when he was USC's OC in the past he was coordinating Lane Kiffen & Sark's offenses.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

This is what happens when you couple the stubbornness of Churchill with the wisdom of Chamberlain. You first lose the Sudetenland, and then you make really tedious analogies that go nowhere.

I feel like this whole thing is an elaborate plot to get us all hooked on prescription anxiolytics. Anybody got Leitao's cell number?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

You’re losing your mind over probable bullshit. You don’t have any idea if what Chip/Anwar/Nahlin posted is true. At least wait until you do to lose your mind. I could see being this pissed after a loss, but shit. 

And no, Herman isn’t getting fired after the Alamo Bowl no matter how hard you stomp your foot. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This is what happens when you couple the stubbornness of Churchill with the wisdom of Chamberlain. You first lose the Sudetenland, and then you make really tedious analogies that go nowhere.

I feel like this whole thing is an elaborate plot to get us all hooked on prescription anxiolytics. Anybody got Leitao's cell number?

Gold.

So, the Ash news remains just pud pulling from $9.95ers, right? Nothing official has been announced as far as I can find. On the other side, I’ve always been skeptical of Herman’s willingness to hand over control of his offense, so hearing the reports he’s not so sure about Harrell syncs up.

And he’s a damned fool if he doesn’t think his offense was broken. Even teams with mediocre talent can scheme and create opportunities. Sam running into the right side of the line every time it was fourth and two showed someone who needs a new approach. I’m of the opinion Harrell can provide that, and I hope he gets the chance.

But TH may need a push outside his comfort zone. Perhaps CDC will remind him of Patterson’s infusion of new thinking that changed things for the Frogs.

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re losing your mind over probable bullshit. You don’t have any idea if what Chip/Anwar/Nahlin posted is true. At least wait until you do to lose your mind. I could see being this pissed after a loss, but shit. 

And no, Herman isn’t getting fired after the Alamo Bowl no matter how hard you stomp your foot. 

I gotcha. Just wait until the rest of the Big 12 gets better at Tampa 2/Reverse Tampa 2. Herman won’t be able to score shit. Or win shit. His pressers will be painful analogies to A Tale of Two Cities and Animal Farm and Great Expectations as he angerbates into a water bottle.  Then he will be fired. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I gotcha. Just wait until the rest of the Big 12 gets better at Tampa 2/Reverse Tampa 2. Herman won’t be able to score shit. Or win shit. His pressers will be painful analogies to A Tale of Two Cities and Animal Farm and Great Expectations as he angerbates into a water bottle.  Then he will be fired. 

I like the way you talk

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

"control" can mean a lot of things. If it's a case that Herman does not want to give GH autonomy to hire who he wants at all O assistant positions, then good. We should not have to ever do that here. If that ends up costing Herman his job and we go hire a leader that can run a program, then good all around.

I'm curious if that affected the conversations on the DC prospects. Herman could be getting strong demands from some candidates and standing up to them as the leader of our program should. Costing him good candidates. I just hope the baylor and isu DC told us no before we went to Ash.

Edited by Goodman

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I could see him being worried about the air raid not being good for complementary defense, but obviously it’s been done before with success.
Gotta score points in this league.

I just means you have to develop depth on defense. We would love a top ten defense but in reality a top 40 would get us a B12 championship. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I just means you have to develop depth on defense. We would love a top ten defense but in reality a top 40 would get us a B12 championship. 

OU was 25th but I agree.  In the Big 12, you’re asking for 5 - 7 possessions (average of 13 a game) during the game that the other team doesn’t score points.  

Thus why the OC hire is so huge.  Doesn’t matter how good or bad the D is if our O is inefficient.  

23 minutes ago, Viper said:

So if Harrell does fit "Herman's offense", who out there does? Lashlee?

Lashlee knows Herman’s offense and has spent the last two years marrying it to Sonny Dykes version of the air raid. 

If Herman is intrigued by the air raid but wants to keep his team a pro / power spread - Lashlee might be the guy he’s looking for. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

And that is bullshit because he would have brought in a new OC last offseason instead of being forced to do so this offseason.

Herman needs someone to run the offense and he needs to stay far Away, that was obvious this year...   If I see us turtle again on offense with any lead and be so predictable again I think it will drive us all crazy, Tom keep you binder away from the offense going forward please.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

If Ash will just tell everyone we are going to be playing press coverage and grabbing receivers everywhere and dare the officials to call it more than once in a drive, I'll be  happy.  We also need to start having our OL hold right out of the gate and again dare the officials to call it more than twice a game. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Lashlee knows Herman’s offense and has spent the last two years marrying it to Sonny Dykes version of the air raid. 

If Herman is intrigued by the air raid but wants to keep his team a pro / power spread - Lashlee might be the guy he’s looking for. 

it was always going to be Lashlee.  he's easily get-able and will do whatever Herman says to be the OC at Texas.  how is he at recruiting?

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Mom! I learned a new word at school today!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luka Skywalker said:

The silver lining is I’m now convinced Herman will be gone after next year. We made a mistake with hiring him. I’m just glad that I’ll only have to stomach one more season with this guy at the helm. 

I wonder what G5 school he ends up at? 

Outside of receiver, he should have a pretty good depth chart to work with next season. I think he would have to fuck up pretty horribly not to win at least eight games next season.