2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So Ash has some great history as a DC, but the conspiracy crowd is ready to dump on him because and only because Herman knew him from OSU, where they won a NC. Is that about it?

Sounds like they would rather bring back Orlando. Maybe it's not too late!

Shit post. Smear it on your face.

3 minutes ago, softlynow said:

But it looks increasingly like the re-tooling on the offensive side will be nothing more than a change of the name of the guy running Tom's simplistic, out-dated offense. Basically Beck 2.0. I'm gonna be as excited for that as I was for Charlie year 3.

Meh.  Our offense was good this year.  If we can find someone to come in and do a better job with run-game concepts (i.e., fix the jet sweep; outside zone issues we've had since Herman's arrival), Herman's offense is plenty good.

• Like 1

Just now, kevwun said:

If we're going to hire everyone who Herman worked with at Ohio State, lets just fucking hire Urban and cut out the middle man.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the reason we haven't heard anything on Harrell is because Herman is going to hire Kevin Wilson.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Huh. The Ohio State guy was very complementary about how he did at Ohio State. How is his history "horrific"? Did he kill 5 hookers while at SMU or something?

As a teacher on defense, he did pretty damned well. As they guy in charge of a program, he did worse than horribly. That was kind of my point -- there's nothing wrong with his on-field coaching. The question is, how well can he do at the other aspects of his job? And his history there does not bode well.

I suspect we'll see for the very first time ever how good he is at recruiting; as for filling out a staff, he didn't do so hot at Rutgers. At Ohio State, you can be pretty sure he wasn't calling the shots, Urban was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Meh.  Our offense was good this year.  If we can find someone to come in and do a better job with run-game concepts (i.e., fix the jet sweep; outside zone issues we've had since Herman's arrival), Herman's offense is plenty good.

From this standpoint Rhett Lashlee makes a lot of sense.  However, I think a knack for calling complementary plays is an equal need here, and I'm not sure what, if anything, Lashlee brings as a play caller.

Edited by ClubWhatever

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the reason we haven't heard anything on Harrell is because Herman is going to hire Kevin Wilson.

Nonono, sir, Kevin Wilson wasn't at Ohio State when herman was there. He doesn't know Kevin Wilson. Therefore Kevin Wilson must suck as a coach. /Tom Herman's Id

5 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So Ash has some great history as a DC, but the conspiracy crowd is ready to dump on him because and only because Herman knew him from OSU, where they won a NC. Is that about it?

Sounds like they would rather bring back Orlando. Maybe it's not too late!

Herman and his staff came dangerously close to losing the locker room last year. So yeah, I wanted Herman to go outside his circle and hire someone that would be able to help assuage the significant interpersonal issues that are everywhere in our program right now. 

Instead we got Ash, whose history as it pertains to player relationships is questionable. His past with Herman makes me skeptical that he will ever take the side of the players. 

I have other concerns too, but I wanted to explain why I don't like the comfort hire aspect specifically. 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Sure. 307 yards, 27 pts against OU who averaged allowing 330 and 25. 327 and 21 vs. ISU against averages of 371 and 21. 391 and 10 (including the trash on both) against Baylor's averages of 365 and 20.

Greg Davis laughs at your standard for "good."

20 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I'm less concerned about the DC hire. Ash should be an improvement.

But it looks increasingly like the re-tooling on the offensive side will be nothing more than a change of the name of the guy running Tom's simplistic, out-dated offense. Basically Beck 2.0. I'm gonna be as excited for that as I was for Charlie year 3.

What did they run at tOSU this year?

5 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Sure. 307 yards, 27 pts against OU who averaged allowing 330 and 25. 327 and 21 vs. ISU against averages of 371 and 21. 391 and 10 (including the trash on both) against Baylor's averages of 365 and 20.

Correct. Our offense was better than advanced stats said last year but it was worse than advanced stats say this year. Other than LSU it was basically P5 average in our big games.

It looks like the league figured it out this year. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

The highest scoring offense in the nation. It’s basically Tom’s offense with a QB more suited for it and good play calling.

That's what I thought. Apparently, the offense is not outdated like some are stating.

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

As a teacher on defense, he did pretty damned well. As they guy in charge of a program, he did worse than horribly. That was kind of my point -- there's nothing wrong with his on-field coaching. The question is, how well can he do at the other aspects of his job? And his history there does not bode well.

I suspect we'll see for the very first time ever how good he is at recruiting; as for filling out a staff, he didn't do so hot at Rutgers. At Ohio State, you can be pretty sure he wasn't calling the shots, Urban was.

I see.

Well somebody has to be a good on-field coach in this program.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

My guess is if money/location is not the issue it is always some combination of

Philosophy(base personnel, aggressiveness, recruiting)

OL coach

game calling/head coach input in pregame planning

In regards to the last point, GH knows a head coach is going to have overall final say authority.  It all depends on what he thinks will happen when shit inevitably hits the fan.   Beck was easily "alignable" as the guy was a very marginal OC.  He'd do anything to be the OC/playcaller at Texas for a million a year.

Now Tom has to go hat in hand saying my guy failed.  Harrell has been successful one year at USC but he has a coach on the hot seat that absolutely needs him and will likely leave him alone.  He holds all the cards.   

This is Tom Herman's first taste of real failure in his career.  sometimes is nice to have a guy who has been through a few wars so he has some perspective.

IMO, its likely going to be Lashlee.

It’s looking more and more like graham won’t be the guy.   Lashlee, samples and were apparently considering their lb coach?   Don’t need smu south. 

24 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I have no idea if this is a joke or not - but Wilson would bring an air raid background with experience in Ohio St's pro spread.  He's currently making 650k at Ohio St (but is still owed money from Indiana).

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Remember when Charlie Strong showed up and we actually showed improvement in tackling . . . for a year?  Mykkele Thompson even looked good for a bit.

Adrian Phillips made the pro bowl and was named to the All Pro team.. I shudder at the amount of talent we have burned through this past decade with average to below average college careers. 

Edited by Vertigo

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I have no idea if this is a joke or not - but Wilson would bring an air raid background with experience in Ohio St's pro spread.  He's currently making 650k at Ohio St (but is still owed money from Indiana).

I would love it if this were true. Wilson can run an offense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Agreed. This is a case where the stats lie. Our offense was good statistically, but we averaged 19.3 points against conference defenses with a pulse (i.e. top 50 by defensive FEI). We lost more games because of our offense than our defense. 

I think we can count on defensive improvement next year due to talent and experience, but that can't be said about the offense. Tom will need to make changes or our offense will struggle again next year. We averaged less than 30ppg in conference play. We're not going to contend for the conference like that.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I'd just like to see defensive players finish tackles. Hasn't happened much the last decade. Is it the kids we are recruiting? Coaching? Our culture? A giant s%$^ stew of all of this? 

My biggest gripe with Brandon Jones. He always goes for a shoulder hit and I can’t remember ever seeing him try to wrap up. Unfortunately that should cost him a couple rounds.

Of course the Tom defenders are grasping at the outdated offense comment, showing the don't even understand it enough to comment, but are missing the more damning problem with the shift away from ceding control to an air raid guy.

Tom is essentially keeping himself as the OC. Sure, he says he wants to give up the control he has in the current "collaborative effort" setup. He may even cede control in reality for a bit next year. But when LSU and/or OU buttfucks us again, guess who is back to calling the plays the rest of his failed tenure?

14 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Orlando did not stress fundamentals, that will change.That, less chance-taking on 3rd-and-Orlando, and the move to rugby style tackling should yield noticeable improvement.

Which is weird, because someone obviously did when he came in. The defensive players all got way, way better between 2016 and 2017.

3 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

My biggest gripe with Brandon Jones. He always goes for a shoulder hit and I can’t remember ever seeing him try to wrap up. Unfortunately that should cost him a couple rounds.

Dude Brandon Jones is one of the better open field tacklers I have seen at the college level, especially in the secondary. His larger problem lies in pass defense where he couldn't intercept a pass if they dipped it in glue and threw it at his chest. If he goes above the 4th round I would be shocked.

8 minutes ago, softlynow said:

You say you disagree, yet you actually agree. Fascinating.

Not really, fella. 

Play-calling within an offense is quite different from the offense itself, and can hinder an otherwise productive offense if executed poorly. 

I see a little further down the thread you make another attempt at words, but are wrong again. It's not that I'm defending Tom, because I'm actually saying it's his fault, whether he physically called plays or not, that the offense wasn't executed correctly. I'm simply defending the offense, because we've seen what it can do when executed properly, as recently as this year as a matter or fact. It just wasn't in Austin.

And it doesn't really help when you don't have the right QB running it. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, Huckleberry said:

We were teaching our players to do that. Absolutely insane but true. 

The launch method?  It's a good way to ruin shoulders and miss tackles.  If they were being taught that way...yeah that's a problem.

Bring your feet, keep them under you, it makes it easier to adjust at the last minute, instead of diving and hoping for the big hit...or injury.

Dude Brandon Jones is one of the better open field tacklers I have seen at the college level, especially in the secondary. His larger problem lies in pass defense where he couldn't intercept a pass if they dipped it in glue and threw it at his chest. If he goes above the 4th round I would be shocked.

I think Brandon Jones will be another player who gets better once he leaves our program.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The biggest problem with our offense this past year has been the biggest problem for our offense the last fucking decade.

We have a shitty offensive line.

We do have a shitty OLine this season, but the main reason about the decade of fail from a player standpoint is outlined here.

I miss you Colt

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Ctj,

What would you say the expectations are for Herman next season?

not ctj, but would have to say there must be a noticeable improvement in play and better record. practically every game was close this year, that’s got to change. We need to beat the people we are supposed to and have a good shot at beating people we aren’t.

also, as a former rugby player, I thought the move away from ‘rugby style’ tackling in CF was because of the injury risk. I remember teammates literally knocking themselves out multiple times in a game and commenting how that was when you knew you did it right.