2020 Coaching Staff

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

9afad47e4a528bcc712b7245d2480ad3.jpg

Kliff kingsbury lite-light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herman just shat all over Harrell because he didn’t want to air raid it up or cede control, and your suggestion is another air raid guy? That seems unlikely, imo. 

personally, at this point I hope he rehires beck or gets Shawn Watson or a triple option guy from somewhere just so the fait accompli will let me sleep at night. 

2 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Every time I get neg rep I’ll be damned if it’s not the same Casual Encounter, TexPete, or Burt Macklin  I’m starting to think these are all the same person. But of course that could never be, no one is that egomaniacal unless the calls are coming from inside Belmont.

Nobody cares

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Every time I get neg rep I’ll be damned if it’s not the same Casual Encounter, TexPete, or Burt Macklin  I’m starting to think these are all the same person. But of course that could never be, no one is that egomaniacal unless the calls are coming from inside Belmont.

It’s because you’re a troll and some recognize it.

15 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Negged 

Just now, Luka Skywalker said:

I just don’t get it. Herman doesn’t want to call plays. But he won’t hand over control of the offense to someone like GH. 

So he’ll hire some bum to oversee/micromanage and we’ll get to watch him squirm on the sideline in 2020.

Here’s to hoping we lose by 30 to Utah.

Doesn't want to call plays - wants someone to call the plays for his offense.

I can understand Herman not wanting to make a radical change to something like the air raid - Herman is an offensive minded guy who came to Texas with his own offense - switching to an air raid with a new OC would probably be humiliating to him.  Getting fired from Texas will be even more humiliating though.  

There are still plenty of talented OC's still out there - but none of them are going to come here if the 9.95ers rumors about herman not ceding control are true.  Thats how you get names like Courtney Messingham floated as possibilities.  Messingham was fired at Iowa st and landed in the FCS.  I have no doubt that him coming here would be nothing more than cover for Herman to continue running the offense.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Here, have a different source. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

LOL. @texifornia on this very thread told you guys that no one would be flipping without a competent OC hire, even after like 2-3 guys had already flipped. I’d like to hear more from him and others who think that this is all part of a normal hiring outcome. 

Eh, I thought the TCU offense was enough of a tire fire that QJ wouldn't leave. The other guys were all pretty replaceable or directly tied to Orlando. The top end of the class has been remarkably sticky.

So hooray, you were right? We're all sad bastards now.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

According to a tcu guy we tried to hire Malcolm kellly and he flipped qj?   Damn

it seems unlikely we'd be looking to hire position coaches before the OC. I guess unless all Herman's choices have coached with him before he and knows they'll work with whoever he wants.

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I can understand Herman not wanting to make a radical change to something like the air raid - Herman is an offensive minded guy who came to Texas with his own offense - switching to an air raid with a new OC would probably be humiliating to him.  Getting fired from Texas will be even more humiliating though.  

There are still plenty of talented OC's still out there - but none of them are going to come here if the 9.95ers rumors about herman not ceding control are true.  Thats how you get names like Courtney Messingham floated as possibilities.  Messingham was fired at Iowa st and landed in the FCS.  I have no doubt that him coming here would be nothing more than cover for Herman to continue running the offense.

The idea of Herman allowing Harrell to come in and run the show with total autonomy never made much sense, despite what Herman said during the bowl presser.  I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Harrell did not come was due to Herman not wanting to cede that level of control to Harrell.  Herman probably saw Harrell as someone who could revitalize the passing concepts in Herman's offense, but Harrell's at a point in his career where that would be a step down from what he has going at USC.

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

dude....

we just went 7 and fucking 5 after coming into the year with playoff aspirations.  two of our biggest recruiting rivals are in the college football playoff while we're pretending like the alamo bowl has any sort of significance whatsoever.  herman had to basically fire every coach on the staff in response to this with apparently no plan whatsoever to replace them.  we're going into national signing day without and offensive fucking coordinator and losing important recruits because of it. 

...but you say we're melting down for no reason.  right.

Dont forget that TECHNICALLY, we also haven't formally announced a Defensive Coordinator either. Probably because we'd be embarrassed and more kids might bail, maybe. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dont forget that TECHNICALLY, we also haven't formally announced a Defensive Coordinator either. Probably because we'd be embarrassed and more kids might bail, maybe. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Given the backlash I wonder if Mensa is walking back that hire?   

Well, this reminds me of how we used to do things.  After all these years we are still stupid.  The 1980s version of this was Fred putting the best athletes on defense and refusing to hire an OC, while continuing to meddle in the offense.  There was quite a bit of arguing over who got credit for the famous QB draw td against bama.  

How do we even interview a head coach?  

Tom might as well claim to call the plays, and let Sam call the plays.  Probably get 2 more wins from that.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because if you give a guy 4 years, during which he got an extension to show commitment, while he improved and then sunk the program with 2 chances to get the right staff in place, before recruiting and the roster fell apart via the portal, after having no athletic department stability for 10 years, its much much easier to shop for the next guy. Put the mess on herman, not Texas. 

That’s a way better story than: Only got 3 years despite a winning season every year and a 10 win sugar bowl championship, recruited at an elite or near elite level, kids went to class and made grades, and well fire you if you don’t win immediately. 

I can entertain an argument where keeping Herman and letting him repeatedly fail with the rope he’s been given makes sense long term for Texas. Sometimes optics matter. A lot of the time optics matter. Now if CDC sees none of what’s happening, and isn’t basically laying things out for herman and already vetting candidates for after next season and is flat footed here, then fuck him too. He’s as incompetent as Herman. Time will tell. But if he’s preparing for an actual coaching search, the kind we apparently have never seen at Texas possibly ever, well ok. That can be the manufactured nugget of hope that can sustain me for the next calendar year, because it sure as fuck isn’t going to be the actual football team. 

I have absolutely zero faith that is what is happening.  We are the new Tennessee

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I can understand Herman not wanting to make a radical change to something like the air raid - Herman is an offensive minded guy who came to Texas with his own offense - 

If Offensive Coordinator Tom Herman were available somewhere, I would want to hire him in a heartbeat. That guy can fucking coach.

It's Head Coach Tom Herman who is a complete dumbass.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

According to a tcu guy we tried to hire Malcolm kellly and he flipped qj?   Damn

That is the most "tcu guy" thing to say.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

While I would normally agree, it appears Herman is a control freak

Which HC is not in control of his program at this level?

• Like 1

If the AD (or some extension thereof) isn't working on some potential hire, we're screwed anyway.

A manager should always be interviewing to replace team members who are leaving or or underperforming.

A football coaching staff should always look to recruit to upgrade the talent level and replace players who are leaving or underperforming.

The AD should always have a plan to find, vet, and hire good staff to replace those who are leaving or underperforming.

When Strong and Bedford were failing, Herman and Orlando were already a done deal a year prior (not on paper, but in the hearts and minds).

Here we are. Orlando is gone. Ash was in the fold already. Something tells me to be patient. There is a coach who is still coaching that is going to get the call... It's not Major, or it would be done so we could get on with recruiting.

There's a plan. It may suck, but it's a plan.

Hold.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I am wondering if Herman will be our OC. It does not make sense how any of this shit has transpired.  

You wonder if the guy who has publicly bemoaned having to game plan and call plays, he has fired and publicly re-organized his staff (or will have to at some point) and cited a reason as not wanting to have to call plays and gameplan, you wonder if this guy is doing all this so he can keep being the OC he already was last season?

I mean, shit, this is now what I'm rooting for more than anything. I can't imagine a more public and embarrassing turn of events than Herman having to continue to be the OC at Texas because no one wants to fucking work for his stupid ass. Bring it on. 

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

If the AD (or some extension thereof) isn't working on some potential hire, we're screwed anyway.

A manager should always be interviewing to replace team members who are leaving or or underperforming.

A football coaching staff should always look to recruit to upgrade the talent level and replace players who are leaving or underperforming.

The AD should always have a plan to find, vet, and hire good staff to replace those who are leaving or underperforming.

When Strong and Bedford were failing, Herman and Orlando were already a done deal a year prior (not on paper, but in the hearts and minds).

Here we are. Orlando is gone. Ash was in the fold already. Something tells me to be patient. There is a coach who is still coaching that is going to get the call... It's not Major, or it would be done so we could get on with recruiting.

There's a plan. It may suck, but it's a plan.

Hold.

spongebob squarepants GIF

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You wonder if the guy who has publicly bemoaned having to game plan and call plays, he has fired and publicly re-organized his staff (or will have to at some point) and cited a reason as not wanting to have to call plays and gameplan, you wonder if this guy is doing all this so he can keep being the OC he already was last season?

I mean, shit, this is now what I'm rooting for more than anything. I can't imagine a more public and embarrassing turn of events than Herman having to continue to be the OC at Texas because no one wants to fucking work for his stupid ass. Bring it on. 

Reverse psychology...he's going to make it so he HAS to call plays and becomes our savior.  Now that's some Mensa level shit right there.

2 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Reverse psychology...he's going to make it so he HAS to call plays and becomes our savior.  Now that's some Mensa level shit right there.

He can say he looked far and wide and no one  was better qualified than himself. So he can assign himself as OC and hand off the pesky HC duties to Urban!

Edited by Rhinotx

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can entertain an argument where keeping Herman and letting him repeatedly fail with the rope he’s been given makes sense long term for Texas. Sometimes optics matter

You are so far off on this that it's comical: "Let's fire everyone working for you, now rehire from a field with few solid available candidates, and do better.  By the way, all the recruiting momentum you built over the past two classes, we are doing it in a manner to kill that also."

Optics indeed.  No wonder coaches would want to stay away from that.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

You are so far off on this that it's comical: "Let's fire everyone working for you, now rehire from a field with few solid available candidates, and do better.  By the way, all the recruiting momentum you built over the past two classes, we are doing it in a manner to kill that also."

Your illustration implies that Del Conte made herman do ANY of this. I'm not sure that's the case. And in the process you're making my fucking point for me. You think Del Conte forcing Herman to fire coahes makes him the bad guy, but firing everyone after this season somehow makes him the fucking good guy?  

Having a stable Athletic Department (for the first time in a decade) that has shown a willingness to give a coach all the resources he wants, and opportunities to correct his mistakes and show support is much more attractive to the NEXT coach than firing a guy after 3 years who's never had a losing season and stacked recruiting class after recruiting class on top of each other, until now. There's a big difference between looking like a trigger happy athletic department shitshow that will fire anyone after a couple years if they're not in national title contention and looking like a relatively patient, stable athletic department that let a head coach hang himself. 

I know which one I'd rather work for, personally. I can entertain an argument where Del Conte has to let the rest of the world see that Herman has no clothes, even if the rest of us are fucking tired of him throwing his balls in our face as a fanbase for the last year and probably the one upcoming. But shit, if Del Conte thinks he can get Saban now, well, go for it buddy. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

So you’d have the coaches fired midseason instead?

The defense was terrible this year and led the conference and nearly the country in almost every negative statistic. 

The offense was uninspired and amateurish in addition to regressing throughout the year.

The pool of potential coaches should be “everyone”, Hernan has chosen (it seems) to limit pool to people he has coached with personally. 

Any recruiting momentum that has been killed has been due to how Herman is managing this process. 

His inexperience in hiring/firing is showing. 

please for God's sake stop using fucking total offense across the board.
it is a *terrible* measuring stick for how good or bad teams actually are and in 2019, we have way better ways to measure it.
  • KSU finished at #51 in OFEI (FEI's offensive stat)
  • KSU finished at #67 in S&P Offense rankings
Here is a breakdown that includes components of both FEI and S&P and rankings vs the rest of the B12
not using this to say that he would or wouldn't be a great hire, but please...STOP USING TOTAL DEFENSE AS A MEASURING STICK IN 2019
we don't use batting average and wins as a way to identify how good pitchers and hitters are because we have more information and more research to show us what actually matters - looking at overall stats and what matters, then standardizing for park and league average gave us wRC+.
we have stats like FIP, SIERA and DRA for pitchers that show us what should have happened for things that pitchers actually have an impact on. 
there is a better way!

A lot more words to still say KSU wasn't very good on offense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is an impressive clusterfuck.  He fired half the staff with no plan in place and is going to go in to the first signing day with no OC at all and still no official announcement of the DC.  I'm just going to assume Herman has been on a bender since our last game because at least that explains this mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm holding out hope CDC is watching this shit show unfold and refusing to sign any contracts until after the Bowl game so if we lose by 20+ he can just fire Herman on the spot instead of eating more guaranteed assistant money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is an impressive clusterfuck.  He fired half the staff with no plan in place and is going to go in to the first signing day with no OC at all and still no official announcement of the DC.  I'm just going to assume Herman has been on a bender since our last game because at least that explains this mess.

Assuming the hires are Ash and one of Messingham/Beatty - I think he knew exactly what he was doing. 

I mean he fucked us - but he knew he was doing it.

• Like 3