2020 Coaching Staff

IMO it’s a balancing act. No big time OC will come here with the way we are now. Get a fresh guy from high powered off that will be willing to mesh TH ideas. It will not be a big name splash hire but has to be someone that is from an off scheme that puts up points. If TH will mesh his ideas with the other and a better fundamental def. that would be a great platform for the further. But can TH do this ??????

Which scenario helps you enjoy your New Year's Eve more?

1) Freddie Kitchens gets fired. We hire Todd Monken as OC. 

2) Pat Shurmur get fired. The Giants hire Matt Rhule as HC.

3) Lincoln Riley goes to the Cowboys and they continue to underperform. annoy Houston area sports fans.

Edited by Ricky Butler
added option

1 hour ago, Beer Horn said:

IMO it’s a balancing act. No big time OC will come here with the way we are now. Get a fresh guy from high powered off that will be willing to mesh TH ideas. It will not be a big name splash hire but has to be someone that is from an off scheme that puts up points. If TH will mesh his ideas with the other and a better fundamental def. that would be a great platform for the further. But can TH do this ??????

Rhett Lashlee

Psych

The problem with Rhett is he as already been at a big time school and had to leave. Coming here and leaving another would leave a mark.  I’m thinking he would be a good hire but not sure it would work  for either side. I’m thinking lesser know not sure who it is. Someone who they could say comes from a high octane offense sell recruits who are willing to take the dive. Then hire a guy hoping  he can add enough to the offense along with a improved def to kick the can down the road. And cross fingers hoping it works out and win 10 games while meshing both offenses. Win win or bust

Edited by Beer Horn

13 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Has a username ever been more appropriate?

At this point, I can't even tell if you're in favor of such hard-nosed approaches or if I wasn't sufficiently sarcastic . I would have thought that the quotation marks and professed appreciation of drool was a sign, but maybe I'm just sissified (not that those are mutually exclusive).

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Simms would be a better OC.  

I literally want Major to happen for the sole purpose of being able to make this joke all the time.

Also because some people just want to watch the world burn, and I'm becoming one of those people.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

no, actually it's "and I"...

If you’re Coach Gerald Smith in that picture, it’s not a picture of “I,” it’s a picture of “me.” People struggle with it, but “...and I” is not always correct. 

I/we and us/me is how I’ve always kept it straight. “This is a picture of us,” not “this is a picture of we.”

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 2

Seeing the Ash/Okudah photo above had me do a little google work. The following article is from December of Okudah’s junior year, as he reacts to the news Ash was just hired by Rutgers:

ASH'S DEPARTURE AND THE POTENTIAL IMPACT

As we've mentioned recently, the odds were always pretty high that Ohio State would lose at least one of their coordinators this off-season. That came to fruition today as Chris Ash was officially announced as the new head coach at Rutgers. While it's not yet sure who the Buckeyes could turn to as they look to replace Ash, there's no doubt that a number of prospects he was responsible for recruiting are going to be keeping a close eye on what happens.

About three weeks ago, we talked to 2017 five-star Jeffrey Okudah, who said then that the potential departure of Ash would certainly impact his recruitment.

"It would have some effect," Okudah told 11W. "If he was to leave and a great defensive backs coach was hired, I'd have no problem. I'd be confident with whomever was hired, I'd just have to do some research."

Monday, Okudah commented again and echoed his previous statement, saying that there's been few people he's gotten to know better in his recruitment than the new head coach of the Scarlet Knights.

"I'm just being patient," Okudah said. "(I need) to see who is in place. (I) was closest with Ash out of maybe every coach I communicate with."

Okudah is one of the more high-profile kids recruited by Ash, but certainly not the only one bound to be impacted by his leaving.

At least it’s evidence Ash can recruit. I’m no longer a recruitnik, but I have listened closely enough the last few years to hear Orlando wasn’t a positive when it came to recruiting. I like keeping Texas 5 stars in Texas.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2015/12/64767/the-hurry-up-no-more-chris-ash-big-ten-recruiting-news-and-more

The article goes on to mention board favorites Zach Smith and Tate Martell.

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

If you’re Coach Gerald Smith in that picture, it’s not a picture of “I,” it’s a picture of “me.” People struggle with it, but “...and I” is not always correct. 

I/we and us/me is how I’ve always kept it straight. “This is a picture of us,” not “this is a picture of we.”

You can just as easily correctly read it with the verb to be understood, as in “Chris, Jeff, and I are pictured here” or “This is Chris, Jeff, and I”.  

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

and me. 

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

no, actually it's "and I"...

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

You can just as easily correctly read it with the verb to be understood, as in “Chris, Jeff, and I are pictured here” or “This is Chris, Jeff, and I”.  

Fuck me (I) that this is what we’re left with. 

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It wouldn’t be “This is Chris, Jeff, and I,” because you are saying “this is a picture of I.” You could say “Chris, Jeff, and I are in this picture.” (I am in this picture)

Anyhoo, enough of the derail. 

31 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It wouldn’t be “This is Chris, Jeff, and I,” because you are saying “this is a picture of I.” You could say “Chris, Jeff, and I are in this picture.” (I am in this picture)

Anyhoo, enough of the derail. 

Both "This is I" and "This is me" are correct.  It's just always awkward to refer to yourself as "I" without absolutely being a subject noun.

This is he. This is she.

"Marley and I"  /shiver

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

I couldn't find Wisconsin position coaches, but here are guys Ash coached with:

Arkansas 2013

Charlie Partridge, Defensive Line Coach (AHC/DL Pitt, coached with him at Wisconsin as well)

Randy Shannon, Linebackers Coach, (LBs UCF?)

Taver Johnson, Cornerbacks Coach (DBs Oak Raiders)

Ohio State 2014

Larry Johnson, DL (OSU)

Kerry Coombs, Secondary coach, special teams coordinator (DBs Tenn Titans)

Luke Fickell, LB (HC Cincy)

Edited by Ricky Butler