2020 Coaching Staff

10 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin is probably Anwar’s source for Kirk Ciarrocca being added to the list, I doubt Anwar had ever even heard of that guy before reading his name here.  

Ciarrocca was Neal Brown’s choice for OC at WVU when Brown was hired as HC last January. Ciarrocca was ready to leave but had a change of heart after talking to Fleck and getting the promise of a nice raise. 

Im guessing that if Ciarrocca is who Herman wants he should have a pretty good chance at getting him - he’s already nearly left Minnesota once and is only making 750k after a bump in pay this year. 

I've been wondering why Ciarocca wasn't getting more play.   I think he'd be a good fit.

I'd also like to see them throw some money at Todd Bates DT coach at Clemson.  His current salary is 375K, and that was with a raise he just got of 75K.  Guy knows how to put DL into the NFL too.

11 hours ago, Modessit said:

I'm not sure why everyone shits on the "comfort hire" so much. Herman had success at tOSU with a specific style of offense. tOSU is still having success with that offense. Herman tried to recreate that offensive style at Houston with some success and it got him the job here. He wants that tOSU playoff offense here so he tries to bring guys who know that offense. Unfortunately the list of names with direct experience to the tOSU championship-level offense isn't very long and most of them have worked with Herman at some point in the past. Is he supposed to not hire those guys just because some of the periphery guys he brought in previously couldn't cut it here? Do we know want that type of offense eventually?

You make a great point but the reason that everyone shits on the "comfort hire" so much is because the entire staff that TH brought in here was full of comfort hires and look how that worked out for us, most of them were unqualified for the job and it ended with half of them being fired, probably at least a year too late as well.  Same thing happened to an extent with Charlie as well.  We have PTSD here over comfort hires and rightfully so.  

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Does anyone know if Kendal Briles ever played at Texas or where he transferred to when his dad got a job as a HC? 

He transferred from Texas when Bob Shipley (who was Case's real father) got a job singing opera with Omar in Belgium. Colt, by the way, speaks seven languages (but is functionally illiterate in all but Swahili and Russian).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Y’all are joking, right? He was here until his dad got the UH job and then he transferred. 

I am sadly not joking. In 2001 I had already graduated and was owned by the man but I followed the team closely the previous years. No way that MF’er ever started or played meaningful snaps, right? The only white guy DB I can remember was 15 yard Ungar who also happened to be my neighbor. 

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who will be the defensive position hires? 

No one has a fucking clue. Partridge seems like a decent guess if there are two DL coaches or Giles is let go. 

Naivar seems like he will definitely get the axe since Ash coaches safeties. I can’t imagine Ash could watch film of our CBs and think Jason Washington should be retained in a scheme that is more dependent on proper press coverage technique than any other single aspect.  If Washington is retained, then I think it’s probably becuase Herman made Ash keep him. 

12 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

He transferred from Texas when Bob Shipley (who was Case's real father) got a job singing opera with Omar in Belgium. Colt, by the way, speaks seven languages (but is functionally illiterate in all but Swahili and Russian).

You left out the part about Jordan's dad being college roommates with a plasma tv 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No one has a fucking clue. Partridge seems like a decent guess if there are two DL coaches or Giles is let go. 

Naivar seems like he will definitely get the axe since Ash coaches safeties. I can’t imagine Ash could watch film of our CBs and think Jason Washington should be retained in a scheme that is more dependent on proper press coverage technique than any other single aspect.  If Washington is retained, then I think it’s probably becuase Herman made Ash keep him. 

Wouldn't that be a disaster to keep Washington then if our CB need to have stellar technique?

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am sadly not joking. In 2001 I had already graduated and was owned by the man but I followed the team closely the previous years. No way that MF’er ever started or played meaningful snaps, right? The only white guy DB I can remember was 15 yard Ungar who also happened to be my neighbor. 

I remember thinking it was a loss when he left.  

46 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

huh?  we are  the kings of white guy DB's...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Ungar was a WR, but mostly known as the gunner on the punt team.  

He also ran the fastest 40 at UT's pro day his SR year.

Ungar started as a DB, and UCLA scored another TD against him. He had the one big catch against KSU in 1999, before Applewhite went Simms and starting turning the ball over at will.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ungar started as a DB, and UCLA scored another TD against him. He had the one big catch against KSU in 1999, before Applewhite went Simms and starting turning the ball over at will.

You must be thinking of someone else.  Ungar was always a WR.  I sort of know him personally.

Here is the roster his (and my) freshman year.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/6/28/FB_1998_Roster.aspx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

He recorded at least one interception as a Safety.  He looked like he was going to be a pretty good DB for us.  I was not happy when he left to be honest.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Y’all are joking, right? He was here until his dad got the UH job and then he transferred. 

No kidding. Where are these people from?

I actually know guys who played with him here and liked him. Guess I haven't asked how they feel about him post-rape culture, though.

For that matter, I dealt with him several times when the Briles started off at Baylor. Used to have his number in my phone. Never talked about rape.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Didn’t they love Herman’s offense?

Even Urban Meyer was insufficient kryptonite for Herman's once a year WTF loss. In 2014, they lost against 7-6 Virginia Tech at home because they only scored 21 points which was the lowest number of points scored in a game all year. It is in Herman's MO to think hey this is in the bag and prepare poorly and it has not gone away. I predict it will never go away with Frat Boy Tom.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

You probably blocked it out but we featured both Gideon and Haines.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

iirc Mack made a big deal about how he could not let a kid miss such an amazing opportunity to play for his dad.  

later, Briles mentioned how he was being cockblocked for playing time. To be fair, briles Jr was kinda an athletic badass

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Even Urban Myer was insufficient kryptonite for Herman's once a year WTF loss. They lost against 7-6 Virginia Tech at home because they only scored 21 points which was the lowest number of points scored in a game all year. It is in Herman's MO to think hey this is in the bag and prepare poorly and it has not gone away. I predict it will never go away with Frat Boy Tom.

Urban Meyer has gone undefeated twice in his entire 17 years as a HC, and only once at a P5 school.  The one year he did it at a P5 school was in 2012 with Tom Herman as his OC.  

So it definitely makes a ton of sense to say that even Urban Meyer couldn't get Herman to avoid a WTF loss and not the other way around.  

• Like 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Urban Meyer has gone undefeated twice in his entire 17 years as a HC, and only once at a P5 school.  The one year he did it at a P5 school was in 2012 with Tom Herman as his OC.  

So it definitely makes a ton of sense to say that even Urban Meyer couldn't get Herman to avoid a WTF loss and not the other way around.  

lmao. They only scored 20 against Northern Fucking Illinois the next year. Tom's taint still on the program, obvz

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Damn I am going to catch hell for that screw up. On the bright side you are telling me there is hope!

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

At this point I would be pissed if Washington were retained. He is a lights out recruiter but a shit coach. At least Naivar has a bit more coaching and development chops to him and is a very good recruiter in his own right. I don't expect either to be here. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

At this point I would be pissed if Washington were retained. He is a lights out recruiter but a shit coach. At least Naivar has a bit more coaching and development chops to him and is a very good recruiter in his own right. I don't expect either to be here. 

I don't think he's a lights out recruiter or a completely shit coach.  He recruited great one year but has otherwise had a decent amount of misses and Boyd, Hill, and Davis all improved a good bit in 2017 when he arrived.  Having said that, his coaching track record overall certainly has some blemishes, and I wouldn't want him as our CBs coach next year. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That Kansas State game was the most intoxicated I have ever been and second is not even close. I threw my shoe at one point, probably after the 3rd or 4th Applewhite turnover. It was such an impressive display my GF of 3 years decided I was not marriage material and I think I have held an unwarranted grudge against The Major ever since. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

He recorded at least one interception as a Safety.  He looked like he was going to be a pretty good DB for us.  I was not happy when he left to be honest.

Yeah, I believe he fucked his shoulder up while playing safety at Texas and then played offense at UH.   Absent injury and dad getting the UH job he probably would have been a multi-year starter.

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That Kansas State game was the most intoxicated I have ever been and second is not even close. I threw my shoe at one point, probably after the 3rd or 4th Applewhite turnover. It was such an impressive display my GF of 3 years decided I was not marriage material and I think I have held an unwarranted grudge against The Major ever since. 

mike meyers who throws a shoe GIF

• Like 4