2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Not only were Ash/Partridge teammates together - they both were GA’s at Drake after they finished playing and then were on staffs together at Wisconsin and Arkansas. 

It just makes too much sense.

*As Texifornia points out - Partridge is the AHC at Pitt. Is Texas going to match titles? (Drayton is currently an AHC at Texas).  Does the title matter if Texas is willing to pay more than Pitt?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not only were Ash/Partridge teammates together - they both were GA’s at Drake after they finished playing and then were on staffs together at Wisconsin and Arkansas. 

*As Texifornia points out - Partridge is the AHC at Pitt. Is Texas going to match titles? (Drayton is currently an AHC at Texas).  Does the title matter if Texas is willing to pay more than Pitt?

The titles are how they justify more money.  It's just bureaucracy. 

39 minutes ago, TheGhost said:

Partridge was Co DC at Wisconsin and Arkansas with Chris Ash 

Rumor is he wants to become a HC again so why not recreate the initial situation where he became a HC and that is working with Chris Ash. 

If he does leave it will be as Co DC.

Didn’t Herman say ahortly after the Ash signing was announced that Ash was the sole DC - there would be no ‘Co-DC’?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Pulling him from a P5 AHC title as a regular position coach would be a bit of a coup too.

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just slap a co-DC title on him like he’s had with Ash before. Oh, and pay him more than he makes at Pitt currently. 

I really don’t know much about his recruiting or coaching abilities, but he seems like at least a capable P5 DL coach and I like his ST experience. Plus, we know he works well with Ash. 

I’d still prefer to get Okam though, whether that means not getting Partridge or dropping Giles for Okam. 

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ok then make him defensive running game coordinator Or some shit like that. It’s really just making up a special title and bumping his pay. 

That should be Chris Ash's decision. 

If Ash is the type who cares more about creating the best staff than being the only DC he is the guy right for the job.

3 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Yeah, me too. Narduzzi seems like he knows what good looks like.

Narduzzi “seems like he knows what good looks like”, huh ? This fucking guy hired Shawn Watson as his OC AFTER he flamed out here. Sorry, he doesn’t get the credit you want to claim. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It's the comfort hire angle. If Ash wants his guy and Herman allows it, some are interpreting that as a lazy comfort hire.
Nevermind that 1.) This Partridge guy appears to be significantly more accomplished than Mehringer and Warehime combined and 2.) The same people whining about it are probably also whining about Oscar Giles on staff.

Coordinators are gonna go get a few of their guys. Graham Harrell was supposedly talking to position coaches. Any other DC would have brought a couple of assistants. That's not necessarialy a bad thing when said guys have had demonstrated success at the P5 level, which appears to be the case. It's a far cry from going and getting Drew Mehringer and Casey Horny and bringing along Derek Warehime when better and/or less rapey options are readily available. Critical thinking isn't a surly specialty though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I realize that “well, that’s just surly and we’re all idiots” is some form of comforting refrain for some of you dipshits, but you can go fuck yourself stating that I lack critical thinking skills. Point that turret at one of the mouth breathers or get more thoughtful with your shittalking. 

Maybe some of us would continue to wish for seeking out the best coach available. Maybe I’d like to see a Texas-ex with youth, street cred, Nigerian connections and a now proven capability to recruit and develop talent, at a Big 12 foe no less,  be the guy getting the gig versus a Big 10/ACC retread. Maybe I’d like to see Texas make a run at the DL coach at Clemson. Maybe a little of that before we bro up? “But closetojumping, this guy coached JJ Watt a decade ago!!!!”  Right. There go my critical thinking skills. 

In any event, all I did was say Partridge is a concern. I didn’t say he’d be a failure hire. He needs more scrutiny and skepticism than what you guys are offering though. He’s a buddy of a DC who’s coming fresh off of hiring the worst P5 coaching staff in modern history, but yeah, let’s give the guy a blank fucking check to bro up. We’ve never seen that before and it’s never gone wrong here. 

The actual critical thinking skills that are lacking here are the ones coming from people who see Wisconsin from a decade ago and give the nod of approval. Ash has proven nothing as a manager when it comes to personnel and Partridge’s most recent history is mediocre. He failed hilariously at FAU - literally not improving a single year during his tenure.  At Pitt? Meh. They’ve been a defensive mediocrity in the ACC and he was passed over while there when they replaced a DC. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

It would suck to have a guy that’s only proven to be a good DL coach, coaching the DL. He needs to be good at everything else too. Fuckity fuck fucking-a.

Not what I said. You’re going to continue to be intellectually bankrupt when it comes to Herman during this cycle though, so you aren’t really worth the bullet for further elaboration. You are totally in the tank for a guy without any need for the benefit of the doubt at this point. 

7 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe you and your wife can reach out to Jones and see if he’ll “adequately fill that role”. Sorry Samples turned you down but not all dudes are into that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

you are seriously fucking terrible at this.

You have to admit that the username checks out.  

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

“On defense” was implied, but you knew that. 

I don’t get why I knew that? Pitt has had a middling defense in a shitty conference under Narduzzi. He’s a conservative old school idiot who surrounds himself repeatedly with the same type of thinkers. His defenses are therefore regularly going to look better than they are. He hasn’t innovated in his life. His teams are boring as fuck and are meh in a shit conference. He willingly hired and retained Shawn Watson. Why in the fuck does this guy have any credit with you guys? I’ve seen at least 25 of the Pitt games in the last 3 years. They beat the shit out of the FCS teams and trash G5 schools and shit the bed against good offenses, with this year’s PSU game being the exception.

Pitt isn’t some foreign team to me that I haven’t seen play. Have you guys watched them at all? What is it about Narduzzi or Partridge at Pitt that has y’all excited? I’ve given you plenty to respond to based in reality, so if I’m off and you guys know better, let’s get to it. Or you can just admit that you are applying the benefit of the doubt in multiple directions on this one for no reason.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You are totally in the tank for a guy without any need for the benefit of the doubt at this point. 

As I’ve already said, I believe Herman should have been fired at the end of this season if this program truly wants to take winning seriously. However, he wasn’t fired and unlike some people who want to carry on their tantrum, I’m not letting my hurt feelings cloud my judgment.

Herman has been given the opportunity to do what should have been done three years ago, hire some coaches with worthy of their title at the University of Texas. Regardless of what we think of our douchebag head coach, the coaches he’s hired so far have a track record, in the positions they’ve been hired for, which make them worthy of the title they now hold. 

I don’t give a shit about their head coaching tenures at some shitty ass schools because that’s not what they’re being hired for. I can think of multiple failed of failing HCs that would be an absolute steal as coordinators or position coaches. 

TLDR; I’d be excited to find out Herman got axed this evening if something better was in place, but he’s here and doing a better job with hires than most expected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

As I’ve already said, I believe Herman should have been fired at the end of this season if this program truly wants to take winning seriously. However, he wasn’t fired and unlike some people who want to carry on their tantrum, I’m not letting my hurt feelings cloud my judgment.

Herman has been given the opportunity to do what should have been done three years ago, hire some coaches with worthy of their title at the University of Texas. Regardless of what we think of our douchebag head coach, the coaches he’s hired so far have a track record, in the positions they’ve been hired for, which make them worthy of the title they now hold. 

I don’t give a shit about their head coaching tenures at some shitty ass schools because that’s not what they’re being hired for. I can think of multiple failed of failing HCs that would be an absolute steal as coordinators or position coaches. 

TLDR; I’d be excited to find out Herman got axed this evening if something better was in place, but he’s here and doing a better job with hires than most expected.

The implication here is that you’re seeing it all clearly and the rest of us are just so blinded by pure rage that we simply can’t see anything he’s doing straight. Yep.

I enjoy using incendiary words online and watching people react. It’s never not been entertaining. It’s also an interesting exercise in coming to an understanding of who can actually see the logic and constructs of a position, and who is merely going to emotionally react to words they don’t like. You’re the latter here.  

No one is against hiring the right guys. Some of us are done with maintaining the suspension of disbelief. There is no compelling reason, logically, at this point to just go with whatever the HC and his guys want when there’s no evidence that objective thoroughness was applied to the process. None. You can emotionally choose to go there because it takes less energy or makes it more enjoyable and that is fine. But you’re not applying any defensible logic when doing so. 

As to this continued premise being offered by you and others that HC gigs don’t matter - you’re just fucking wrong. HC gigs provide insight to how guys make personnel decisions at the staffing and player level. They’re evidence of general competence or lack thereof when it comes to strategy. Is it an end-all, be-all indicator? No. But it’s a data point and you’re showing your ignorance by dismissing it. 

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

So we are going to blame the tackling issues that Texas faces, but no other University football teams suffers from nearly as much, that are also full of Texas HS players, on middle school coaches.

That's a long stretch of logic. 

Who the fuck was talking about tackling?  The question was about special teams, specifically “simple basics like when to fair catch and when to field a punt or kick off.”

I do blame your elementary and junior high teachers for not teaching you how to read. 

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The implication here is that you’re seeing it all clearly and the rest of us are just so blinded by pure rage that we simply can’t see anything he’s doing straight. Yep.

I don’t claim to see it all clearly, nor do I think you speak for ”the rest of us”. We all have varying opinions in the matter.

I enjoy using incendiary words online and watching people react. It’s never not been entertaining. It’s also an interesting exercise in coming to an understanding of who can actually see the logic and constructs of a position, and who is merely going to emotionally react to words they don’t like. You’re the latter here.  

You might think too highly of yourself and not highly enough of others. 

You can emotionally choose to go there because it takes less energy or makes it more enjoyable and that is fine. But you’re not applying any defensible logic when doing so. 

As to this continued premise being offered by you and others that HC gigs don’t matter - you’re just fucking wrong. HC gigs provide insight to how guys make personnel decisions at the staffing and player level. They’re evidence of general competence or lack thereof when it comes to strategy. Is it an end-all, be-all indicator? No. But it’s a data point and you’re showing your ignorance by dismissing it. 

You love putting words in people’s mouths, as well. I don’t have time right now to expand on this but some people are excellent middle managers but would perform lousy as upper management. If promoted to upper management and subsequently failing, it does not mean they can’t go back to being good middle managers. I know you are not ignorant to this, so I’m not going to reciprocate your insults.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

It would suck to have a guy that’s only proven to be a good DL coach, coaching the DL. He needs to be good at everything else too. Fuckity fuck fucking-a.

Is he proven to be a good DL coach? What’s your basis for that? I don’t really have an opinion either way at this point. 

Edit: FWIW, per football outsiders, Pitt’s adjusted DL yards have gone from 117th in 2017 to 59 to 37th in 2019, but those numbers are unadjusted, so schedule matters a lot and Pitt gets to face some shitty offenses in the ACC. Im sure some folks will really like to see that Pitt was 4th in sack rate this year (again, unadjusted). 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Who the fuck was talking about tackling?  The question was about special teams, specifically “simple basics like when to fair catch and when to field a punt or kick off.”
I do blame your elementary and junior high teachers for not teaching you how to read. 

Nothing triggered me more than fair catching kickoffs at the 5-10 yard line.

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I put fair catching kickoffs outside of the end zone slightly ahead of fair catching punts inside of 10 as triggering events

You are aware of the rule change where a fair catch on a kickoff gives you the ball on the 25, right?

As long as the fair catch is inside the 25 yard line (whether you're on the 24 yard line, the 5, the 1, or inside the end zone) you get the ball on the 25, as long as you actually catch the ball.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I put fair catching kickoffs outside of the end zone slightly ahead of fair catching punts inside of 10 as triggering events

Don't you get the ball on the 25 like a touchback if you fair catch anywhere inside the 25 on a kickoff?

That seems better than running it out of the end zone and starting on the 14.

The worst thing would be to signal a fair catch on a kickoff and then drop it. Thank goodness our coaching staff would never tolerate such a mistake. 

I would honestly probably prefer Okam to Partridge, but Partridge does not seem like the dinosaur CTJ is fearing he might be, at least not at first look. The adjusted stats for Pitt's defense actually look okay, really. Certainly in comparison to what we've had at Texas for a while now. Pretty good sack numbers (if you call #2 in adjusted sacks per game good); top 20 against the run. Top 25 against the pass, so it honestly looks like their DL is better than their secondary, just at a surface peep at their production.

DEFENSE TOTAL PER GAME ADJ/GAME PER PLAY* ADJ/PLAY*
Points 248 22.55 (29) 20.59 (27) 0.328 (28) 0.307 (27)
Yards 3460 314.55 (12) 301.59 (11) 4.577 (6) 4.520 (9)
Rush Yards 1240 112.73 (14) 104.67 (14) 3.062 (10) 3.153 (16)
Total Rush Yards 1535 127.92 (21) 127.05 (16) 4.240 (17) 4.397 (36)
Pass Yards 2220 201.82 (27) 196.92 (24) 6.325 (15) 5.894 (11)
Total Pass Yards 1925 160.42 (17) 166.40 (18) 4.886 (5) 4.564 (8)
Pass Eff --- --- --- 113.67 (11) 105.51 (11)
Sacks 43 3.91 (2) 3.74 (4) 0.109 (5) 0.099 (7)
Fumbles 17 1.42 (29) 1.33 (43) 0.029 (24) 0.026 (38)
Interceptions 8 0.67 (74) 0.83 (54) 0.023 (80) 0.028 (55)
Turnovers 13 1.08 (94) 1.23 (92) 0.017 (101) 0.019 (83)
3rd Down % --- --- --- 0.326 (20) 0.325 (18)
4th Down % --- --- --- 0.588 (91) 0.544 (72)
Red Zone % --- --- --- 0.821 (48) 0.818 (51)

Baylor's DL production, meanwhile, is not exactly lacking in "pop" from the adjusted stats angle, either, of course:

Points 234 19.50 (15) 14.95 (10) 0.260 (10) 0.180 (10)
Yards 4389 365.75 (38) 324.17 (23) 4.877 (17) 4.113 (5)
Rush Yards 1751 145.92 (49) 117.98 (21) 3.686 (29) 2.790 (6)
Total Rush Yards 1979 152.23 (52) 141.04 (31) 4.549 (35) 3.756 (6)
Pass Yards 2638 219.83 (50) 206.20 (31) 6.207 (11) 5.564 (7)
Total Pass Yards 2410 185.38 (37) 181.88 (28) 5.183 (11) 4.384 (4)
Pass Eff --- --- --- 114.94 (16) 102.88 (7)
Sacks 40 3.33 (7) 3.68 (6) 0.086 (20) 0.096 (10)
Fumbles 24 1.85 (6) 1.84 (9) 0.033 (11) 0.031 (18)
Interceptions 16 1.23 (4) 1.24 (5) 0.038 (12) 0.036 (17)
Turnovers 29 2.23 (3) 2.16 (4) 0.032 (3) 0.029 (17)
3rd Down % --- --- --- 0.395 (63) 0.369 (39)
4th Down % --- --- --- 0.560 (82) 0.553 (78)
Red Zone % --- --- --- 0.833 (61)

0.775 (27)

So, yeah, the Texas-Ex angle, recruiting locally, etc., all make Okam the logical favorite, but I'm not going to be even slightly upset if it's Partridge.

7 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Are you kidding me? I'm not sure which game it was, but it seemed like there was one game in particular that we continually shot ourselves in the dick on kickoffs. We were unable to advance those kickoffs repeatedly beyond the 20 yard line. Half the time, we backed ourselves up inside the 15. We were way better off fair catching them and taking the ball at the 25. They even got a Bronx cheer when they finally fielded one correctly.

Also, with regard to DL coach... I'm pretty much in favor of whoever manages to deliver Collins. I'm not sure the DL coach will be here after next year, but I sure as shit hope that Collins is.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Are you kidding me? I'm not sure which game it was, but it seemed like there was one game in particular that we continually shot ourselves in the dick on kickoffs. We were unable to advance those kickoffs repeatedly beyond the 20 yard line. Half the time, we backed ourselves up inside the 15. We were way better off fair catching them and taking the ball at the 25.

Exactly. Fair catching kickoffs was a huge step forward (or at least not a step backward), IMO.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would honestly probably prefer Okam to Partridge, but Partridge does not seem like the dinosaur CTJ is fearing he might be, at least not at first look. The adjusted stats for Pitt's defense actually look okay, really. Certainly in comparison to what we've had at Texas for a while now. Pretty good sack numbers (if you call #2 in adjusted sacks per game good); top 20 against the run. Top 25 against the pass, so it honestly looks like their DL is better than their secondary, just at a surface peep at their production.

Points 248 22.55 (29) 20.59 (27) 0.328 (28) 0.307 (27)
Yards 3460 314.55 (12) 301.59 (11) 4.577 (6) 4.520 (9)
Rush Yards 1240 112.73 (14) 104.67 (14) 3.062 (10) 3.153 (16)
Total Rush Yards 1535 127.92 (21) 127.05 (16) 4.240 (17) 4.397 (36)
Pass Yards 2220 201.82 (27) 196.92 (24) 6.325 (15) 5.894 (11)
Total Pass Yards 1925 160.42 (17) 166.40 (18) 4.886 (5) 4.564 (8)
Pass Eff --- --- --- 113.67 (11) 105.51 (11)
Sacks 43 3.91 (2) 3.74 (4) 0.109 (5) 0.099 (7)
Fumbles 17 1.42 (29) 1.33 (43) 0.029 (24) 0.026 (38)
Interceptions 8 0.67 (74) 0.83 (54) 0.023 (80) 0.028 (55)
Turnovers 13 1.08 (94) 1.23 (92) 0.017 (101) 0.019 (83)
3rd Down % --- --- --- 0.326 (20) 0.325 (18)
4th Down % --- --- --- 0.588 (91) 0.544 (72)
Red Zone % --- --- --- 0.821 (48) 0.818 (51)

Baylor's DL production, meanwhile, is not exactly lacking in "pop" from the adjusted stats angle, either, of course:

Points 234 19.50 (15) 14.95 (10) 0.260 (10) 0.180 (10)
Yards 4389 365.75 (38) 324.17 (23) 4.877 (17) 4.113 (5)
Rush Yards 1751 145.92 (49) 117.98 (21) 3.686 (29) 2.790 (6)
Total Rush Yards 1979 152.23 (52) 141.04 (31) 4.549 (35) 3.756 (6)
Pass Yards 2638 219.83 (50) 206.20 (31) 6.207 (11) 5.564 (7)
Total Pass Yards 2410 185.38 (37) 181.88 (28) 5.183 (11) 4.384 (4)
Pass Eff --- --- --- 114.94 (16) 102.88 (7)
Sacks 40 3.33 (7) 3.68 (6) 0.086 (20) 0.096 (10)
Fumbles 24 1.85 (6) 1.84 (9) 0.033 (11) 0.031 (18)
Interceptions 16 1.23 (4) 1.24 (5) 0.038 (12) 0.036 (17)
Turnovers 29 2.23 (3) 2.16 (4) 0.032 (3) 0.029 (17)
3rd Down % --- --- --- 0.395 (63) 0.369 (39)
4th Down % --- --- --- 0.560 (82) 0.553 (78)
Red Zone % --- --- --- 0.833 (61)

0.775 (27)

So, yeah, the Texas-Ex angle, recruiting locally, etc., all make Okam the logical favorite, but I'm not going to be even slightly upset if it's Partridge.

Why limit it to Okam and Partridge for the 2nd DL spot? In the next few days, Andre Gurode and Leon Lett will be available.

Rule changes for kickoff return formations have effectively neutered the return game calculus. Explosive returns still happen occasionally, but are much less common. You even see a high number of pro teams fair catching kickoffs now. The stats don’t really support trying to return them, particularly from the end zone.

The numbers likely look different for kicks that land in the field of play, but I can’t find any articles that summarize the data the way that this one does for kickoff returns from the end zone:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/return-or-not-return

It’s understandable to want to have a dynamic return game, but you need a singular talent and a bit of good fortune to make it happen. Once you weigh in the downside risk (e.g., fumbles and poor field position) there is a strong argument for just fair catching the ball. That is, of course, assuming you don’t drop said fair catch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Warehime, Naivar, and Washington unlikely to be retained per IT

Hand, Giles, and Drayton the only holdovers.   Need to find WR, TE, DL, LB, and DB coach.

I'm a little surprised Warehime isn't sticking around - but I guess Herman has to allow Yurcich at least a couple of hires.

What else does Surly want Herman to change besides some of the assistants??

Video below (4min mark) mentions Herman's August practices as too physical... Might have lead to this 2019 team having more injuries.  I hope Mensa's Damn burnt toast and powdered eggs Bullshit goes away!!