2020 Coaching Staff

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

As long as he can teach our DBs to turn around and look for the ball once in awhile, it will be a big step up. 

It doesn't help that the popular (though wrong IMHO) technique being taught to DBs is the "look at their eyes" style (I don't know the name they use for it, but that's what it is.) of defending instead of actually looking back for the ball. Supposedly, the "look at the eyes" technique you can watch a WR's eyes and see them get big, see their arm/hand movements, and be able to tell when they're about to try to catch a pass and react accordingly, put your arms/hands where theirs are, to hinder the catch, deflect the ball, etc.  Seems like a lazy cop-out way of defending passes to me.

I prefer Leon Fuller's man-to-man press coverage where CBs/SS/FS watch the QB while covering their assignments, the FS is free to support the run when his knowledge allows him to recognize run and also be able to roam center field to make plays/INTs.

I've said it before: We just need to clone Leon Fuller and make his clone our DC at age 21.

Hook'Em!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm not sure. I mean he made Ringo a 5 star prospect, but can you really rely on a guy that has never recruited when you have 1 maybe 2 years to not get fired.

I see your point, but by the same logic, would hiring a guy who coaches in the secondary and would be covered by your DC, who also coaches in the secondary, not be worth it If it meant bringing in a 5* recruit (Ringo) who could help you short term? seems like the short term benefit would cover any risk. I think he’d be decent at coaching fundamentals, but I have no basis for that assumption other than his success on the field.  

14 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Sidenote, Oklahoma state writer Robert Allen is on with FCB and is getting me super hyped for Yurcich. Says he has a great relationship with coaches and players love him. The negative reports on him about being difficult to work with probably stems from him not being a yes man. Thinks he will make a huge impact with Ehlinger and the offense will be ten times more explosive. Mentioned big plays and hurry up offense running plays nearly every 17 seconds. Recruiting wise he will be great at identifying and recruiting QBs and has helped with recruiting other positions.

That's all good but when has a source ever gone on with these program writers and bad mouthed a new hire? Every new coach is "fantastic" until the games start coming quick and unmercifully. 

I'll believe this guy can get it done when I see him get it done. The talent on this team was minimum 10 wins plus bowl game this season. The coaching fucked it up to epic levels only surpassed by the garbage that is Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett. 

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

I see your point, but by the same logic, would hiring a guy who coaches in the secondary and would be covered by your DC, who also coaches in the secondary, not be worth it If it meant bringing in a 5* recruit (Ringo) who could help you short term? seems like the short term benefit would cover any risk. I think he’d be decent at coaching fundamentals, but I have no basis for that assumption other than his success on the field.  

Ringo's already signed with Georgia. He's just messing around now.

18 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

It doesn't help that the popular (though wrong IMHO) technique being taught to DBs is the "look at their eyes" style (I don't know the name they use for it, but that's what it is.) of defending instead of actually looking back for the ball. Supposedly, the "look at the eyes" technique you can watch a WR's eyes and see them get big, see their arm/hand movements, and be able to tell when they're about to try to catch a pass and react accordingly, put your arms/hands where theirs are, to hinder the catch, deflect the ball, etc.  Seems like a lazy cop-out way of defending passes to me.

I prefer Leon Fuller's man-to-man press coverage where CBs/SS/FS watch the QB while covering their assignments, the FS is free to support the run when his knowledge allows him to recognize run and also be able to roam center field to make plays/INTs.

I've said it before: We just need to clone Leon Fuller and make his clone our DC at age 21.

Hook'Em!

Know how I know you've never played DB?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Barbers would be someone who could have inside info on Akina. They’re still close.

Fuck yes. With the caveat that we’re assuming he’s good with being just the CB coach and no sort of co-DC role.

He’s about as good of a coach as you could find at teaching fundamental CB technique, especially in press man. He’d be exactly what Ash needs to have his scheme succeed in the Big 12. 

source.gif

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

That's all good but when has a source ever gone on with these program writers and bad mouthed a new hire? Every new coach is "fantastic" until the games start coming quick and unmercifully. 

I'll believe this guy can get it done when I see him get it done. The talent on this team was minimum 10 wins plus bowl game this season. The coaching fucked it up to epic levels only surpassed by the garbage that is Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett. 

I think there's a higher chance of Herman being the problem if the offense doesn't improve with Yurcich on board. He's done well everywhere else. I consider both hires of Yurcich and Ash as positive steps indicating Herman examined and recognized fundamental issues with the program. But I also believe there are other issues that are all with Herman and how he runs the program that the jury is still out on. Yurcich and Ash both have the chops to be successful at Texas if Herman is capable of making sure they do. The question is whether Herman's introspection went any deeper than the problems with his coaching staff.

10 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Yurcich and Ash both have the chops to be successful at Texas if Herman is capable of making sure they do. The question is whether Herman's introspection went any deeper than the problems with his coaching staff.

Herman has said on many occasions that he wants to be more of a CEO-type coach, not involved in the detailed game planning.  If he is true to his word, I think we improve under both these guys.  He realized early that Beck was a poor choice and had to get more involved in the offense.  The I think the Orlando shit-fest caught him off guard, and he isn't capable of helping on that side of the ball.  Ultimately I think having both sides of the ball go sideways overwhelmed Herman this year (and as head coach he couldn't find a stealthy way to do some blow off a stripper's ass to clear his head). 

1 hour ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Herman has said on many occasions that he wants to be more of a CEO-type coach, not involved in the detailed game planning.  If he is true to his word, I think we improve under both these guys.  He realized early that Beck was a poor choice and had to get more involved in the offense.  The I think the Orlando shit-fest caught him off guard, and he isn't capable of helping on that side of the ball.  Ultimately I think having both sides of the ball go sideways overwhelmed Herman this year (and as head coach he couldn't find a stealthy way to do some blow off a stripper's ass to clear his head). 

That’s going to be more difficult now that he is HC of the state’s flagship program.  He needs to show that he can make the adjustments to be successful.

• Like 1

Here’s the deal with Akina: he doesn’t teach zone. At all. In fact, won’t teach it. This was ten years ago, but he and Muschamp fell out a bit in 2010 because Akina had his DB fiefdom and wouldn’t change to work with the front 7. But a lot can change in 10 years. 

Of course, he can teach the hell out of man. And Ash’s system is based in quarters/press man, so it could work. 

• Like 2

I am also not totally convinced Washington is a bad coach because the defensive backs had to cover forever because Orlando's defense didn't provide a pass rush.  It would take a unit of thorpe award winners to make what Orlando was asking them to do work.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Here’s the deal with Akina: he doesn’t teach zone. At all. In fact, won’t teach it. This was ten years ago, but he and Muschamp fell out a bit in 2010 because Akina had his DB fiefdom and wouldn’t change to work with the front 7. But a lot can change in 10 years. 

Of course, he can teach the hell out of man. And Ash’s system is based in quarters/press man, so it could work. 

Doesn’t teach zone? Did you hit your head? Our Natty team had a fantastic zone player in Michael Griffin

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Doesn’t teach zone? Did you hit your head? Our Natty team had a fantastic zone player in Michael Griffin

Maybe so, in a player, but Akina was famous for not teaching zone coverage to players and hating it. It is known. 

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2007/11/26/duane-akina-the-dbs

It gets murky at the unit level. This is the middle ground between individual coaching and coordinator level coaching. Given the results on the field, I seriously question his ability to impart unit concepts to form a cohesive secondary. Specifically basic zone principles or blended zone/man coverages. Unfortunately, these are the necessary prerequisites for defending the spread offenses that are now the norm in the Big 12. Last year's secondary was extremely talented and experienced but horrendous in terms of scheme and an understanding of what was required of them; this year's secondary has sub-par talent with absolutely no understanding of what is required of them. Blaming youth or inexperience isn't an option: we're a relatively old secondary vis a vis college football comparables. Youth as culprit would also suggest that we would improve as the season progresses rather than get markedly worse.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/2/8320141/mississippi-state-football-2015-manny-diaz-defense

In 2012, Texas shifted away from the two-read toward more press-man, in order to suit DB coach Duane Akina's vision of Texas as DB U. Between this, the lack of safeties who could be relied upon to erase mistakes and Texas' struggles to replace 2011's good LB tandem, everything snowballed.

After Diaz landed in Louisiana Tech, two-read immediately reassumed its place.

There’s plenty of other links and threads floating around at us bitching about akinas lack of ability (or refusal) to teach any zone. 

also note the articles are 5-6 years apart. Folks were bitching about akinas zone in many different phases and defensive regimes of the Mack Brown program. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe so, in a player, but Akina was famous for not teaching zone coverage to players and hating it. It is known. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/2/8320141/mississippi-state-football-2015-manny-diaz-defense

There’s plenty of other links and threads floating around at us bitching about akinas lack of ability (or refusal) to teach any zone. 

also note the articles are 5-6 years apart. Folks were bitching about akinas zone in many different phases and defensive regimes of the Mack Brown program. 

Sydney got the receipts for me, thank you sir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Preferring a coverage is completely different than not teaching it. It’s not like the concepts require a ton of teaching anyway. But every Texas DB learned to cover and play zone under him. 

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Got. Paid. 

FWIW - this is also pretty good evidence that Tom moved on from Harrell and decided he didn’t want to overhaul his offense. 

If Texas wanted Harrell he would be here and making 1.7 million plus a year - instead Tom moved on and Graham signed for 1.2 with USC. 

• Like 2

I would rather not see Akina come back. He’s getting up there in age and I think it could be a super awkward dynamic coming back under a totally different regime. I have to think there are coaches that are equally as capable but will bring fresh energy and a recruiting boost to the program.

• Like 5