2020 Coaching Staff

56 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I would rather not see Akina come back. He’s getting up there in age and I think it could be a super awkward dynamic coming back under a totally different regime. I have to think there are coaches that are equally as capable but will bring fresh energy and a recruiting boost to the program.

I'd be all for Akina coming back, IF we set him up with a young protege for him to mentor for the future.  Pick any of his former UT players and let Akina teach him how to coach.  Then in a year or two, pass the torch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So what all positions are we expected to fill and which are currently not open but will not be retained?

Consensus appears to be:  DT, LB and DB on defense; WR and TE on offense.  Ash and Giles currently in place on defense; Yurcich, Hand and Drayton in place on offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

I think Harrell also used it to leverage money from USC with the intent of having the chance to be an interim HC when Helton is fired lol

Harrell’s new contract is only 1.2MM/year. I can’t find what his old contract was, but this link says it was over 1MM. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2818138-report-north-texas-oc-graham-harrell-to-be-uscs-next-offensive-coordinator.amp.html

To me that says we backed off otherwise USC would have had to offer a lot more. Or Harrell is really bad at negotiating lol

• Like 1

Just now, jw4381 said:

Damn. Naivar earned a spot after last night. Oh well.

He definitely called a nice game and the players absolutely balled out for him.  Long term, we need to get the best of the best in terms of the position coaches and don't need to settle for status quo.

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Harrell’s new contract is only 1.2MM/year. I can’t find what his old contract was, but this link says it was over 1MM. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2818138-report-north-texas-oc-graham-harrell-to-be-uscs-next-offensive-coordinator.amp.html

To me that says we backed off otherwise USC would have had to offer a lot more. Or Harrell is really bad at negotiating lol

Or Harrell never wanted to come here and he did what he could to get a little money. It’s actually possible Harrell didn’t want to come

8 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Or Harrell never wanted to come here and he did what he could to get a little money. It’s actually possible Harrell didn’t want to come

If he was never interested he wouldn’t have interviewed and they wouldn’t have waited several weeks to announce it. USC benefited from resolving that situation as quickly as possible. I find it hard to believe that Harrell turns down an 800k raise and proximity to home to stay at USC

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

If he was never interested he wouldn’t have interviewed and they wouldn’t have waited several weeks to announce it. USC benefited from resolving that situation as quickly as possible. I find it hard to believe that Harrell turns down an 800k raise and proximity to home to stay at USC

Well this is basically an impasse because if you only believe money was at play that’s all you’ll see. And I have no way to support with facts that there was more to it than money for Harrell. 

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Well this is basically an impasse because if you only believe money was at play that’s all you’ll see. And I have no way to support with facts that there was more to it than money for Harrell. 

Herman claimed he hadn’t offered the job to anyone after we all assumed we had offered Harrell. Maybe he interviewed and no offer was extended. Seems like a strong possibility. 

9 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

I'd be all for Akina coming back, IF we set him up with a young protege for him to mentor for the future.  Pick any of his former UT players and let Akina teach him how to coach.  Then in a year or two, pass the torch.

Or just not waste our fucking time and go get someone good now and keep them for X years instead of wasting our fucking time with some succession plan for an aging position coach. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or just not waste our fucking time and go get someone good now and keep them for X years instead of wasting our fucking time with some succession plan for an aging position coach. 

Anyone know if SC thinks Akina would be a waste of our fucking time?

I’s be more than happy with Akina, but I also don’t doubt there’s some other CB coaches that would be a better combination of coaching ability, recruiting ability, and age. Not sure how many and how attainable they would be.

It seems like we haven’t heard anything re Texas’ interests other than WR coach (Jones and Carrier). IIRC Akina and Partridge were just speculation, not anyone heading Texas was actually interested.

FCB’s latest round of speculation on D side is splitting Dline into DE (Giles) and DT coaches.  Potential DT candidate per FCB is Elijah Robinson (currently at A&M). LB candidate is Robb Smith (former Arky LB coach and Minn DC). Not much mentioned about DBs other than Washington a possibility staying at CB with Ash coaching safeties. Naivar could be in play at several Pac12 schools. 

On offensive side, FCB reiterated that Drayton and Hand are good and that Warehime will interview for TE role. Same names at WR as previously mentioned (e.g., Jones and Carrier) and Coleman (interim WR coach for Alamo Bowl) is in the running as well. 

Edited by Herminator

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone know if SC thinks Akina would be a waste of our fucking time?

I’s be more than happy with Akina, but I also don’t doubt there’s some other CB coaches that would be a better combination of coaching ability, recruiting ability, and age. Not sure how many and how attainable they would be.

It seems like we haven’t heard anything re Texas’ interests other than WR coach (Jones and Carrier). IIRC Akina and Partridge were just speculation, not anyone heading Texas was actually interested.

Just to clarify I’m not going to cry if we get Akina. My issue is some half ass piece of dipshittery of overthinking like planning some succession nonsense for a position coach. If you’re going to all that trouble then it’s clear he’s not the best fit as your cb coach. 

50 minutes ago, Herminator said:

FCB’s latest round of speculation on D side is splitting Dline into DE (Giles) and DT coaches.  Potential DT candidate per FCB is Elijah Robinson (currently at A&M). LB candidate is Robb Smith (former Arky LB coach and Minn DC). Not much mentioned about DBs other than Washington a possibility staying at CB with Ash coaching safeties. Naivar could be in play at several Pac12 schools. 

On offensive side, FCB reiterated that Drayton and Hand are good and that Warehime will interview for TE role. Same names at WR as previously mentioned (e.g., Jones and Carrier) and Coleman (interim WR coach for Alamo Bowl) is in the running as well. 

Not a fan of Washington or Warehime being retained.  Go and get the best position coaches out there for once.

Edited by Stampeder

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Not a fan of Washington or Warehime being retained.  Go and get the best position coaches out there for once.

In typical FCB fashion, he backpedals on Warehime being retained.  He added in a board posting that Warehime was only being a given a chance to interview but likely won't be retained.  Take that for what its worth ... 

2 hours ago, Herminator said:

This sounds horrible. 

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This sounds horrible. 

It really does. Hopefully this is just more of FCB throwing his feces at the wall than actual intel. 

I like our coordinator hires well enough, but 1/2 of those was a comfort hire. I think our position coach hirings will give a lot more insight as to whether Herman has actually learned some lessons. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It really does. Hopefully this is just more of FCB throwing his feces at the wall than actual intel. 

I like our coordinator hires well enough, but 1/2 of those was a comfort hire. I think our position coach hirings will give a lot more insight as to whether Herman has actually learned some lessons. 

If it makes you feel better I doubt FCB knows a damn thing. Dude was throwing out Chip Long and Lindsey Buckingham (whatever the fuck from KState). I dont think he has any real sources whatsoever besides the general knowledge on the receiver coach which every 995er has

• Like 2

Just now, RGBIII said:

If it makes you feel better I doubt FCB knows a damn thing. Dude was throwing out Chip Long and Lindsey Buckingham (whatever the fuck from KState). I dont think he has any real sources whatsoever besides the general knowledge on the receiver coach which every 995er has

Yeah, I doubt FCB actually has inside info. He's pretty much always making shit up. I am surprised things have been so quiet on the position coach front, but Herman does tend to keep these things very quiet. It now appears that Herman had already selected Yurcich as the guy before anyone even knew he interviewed him. A few of these position coach moves (CB and LB, especially) will be make or break, so I hope we find out soon.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I doubt FCB actually has inside info. He's pretty much always making shit up. I am surprised things have been so quiet on the position coach front, but Herman does tend to keep these things very quiet. It now appears that Herman had already selected Yurcich as the guy before anyone even knew he interviewed him. A few of these position coach moves (CB and LB, especially) will be make or break, so I hope we find out soon.

Seems like the whole process has been very close to the vest, Herman is keeping things way more quiet than I thought