2020 Coaching Staff

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Honestly, I like Clay Patterson from Minnesota. He’s the hungry, young type of guy we need, that also shows passion for coaching and a history of RPO understanding. And he has a lot of experience down here as he has coached in Oklahoma and Texas. 

he wrote this piece which I think shows some of his acumen https://www.hudl.com/footballtrends/adjusting-the-dump-rpo-vs-man-coverages

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Giles will be able to recruit much better with what his guys are about to put on film.  He never had issues getting badasses when Mack was in charge.

Facts. And he developed them like a mf'er too. There was a stretch under Giles where we had nothing but studs at DE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Facts. And he developed them like a mf'er too. There was a stretch under Giles where we had nothing but studs at DE.

It's why I think the criticism against him has been overblown, especially when we've had Orlando fuck around with alignments/players. We talk about needing coaches that can coach players, and Giles has been fantastic on two occasions doing exactly that. His recruiting this year, even if it being helped by others, indicates that he isn't the liability that some people make him out to be.

I really, really hope the Giles + Okam pairing actually happens as that would be a great combination of coaching and recruiting at a key position. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I get all of the Giles fatigue, but of all of the problems on our defense last year the DLine was not one of them. The guy was the only one on the defensive staff developing his player room, even if he sucks at acquiring it. If he stays I am not going to be too bent out of shape about it. If we do end up signing Collins you can't even really complain about the recruiting this year.

We might get Princely back as well.  I think he wants to be at Texas, but he wasn't going to stick around in the defense Orlando was running.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe at the college level, but there’s a ton of NFL positions open, and I think he’ll get some serious interest from the NFL.

Also, Oklahoma State.

I think Oklahoma State wants Todd Monken back. UW has an open OC spot, and they have a talented roster ready for Moorhead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think Oklahoma State wants Todd Monken back. UW has an open OC spot, and they have a talented roster ready for Moorhead.

Id be really surprised if Monken went all the way back to college OC (especially with like 7 HC changes happening in the NFL), but that would be an amazing get for ODU if it happened.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I get all of the Giles fatigue, but of all of the problems on our defense last year the DLine was not one of them. The guy was the only one on the defensive staff developing his player room, even if he sucks at acquiring it. If he stays I am not going to be too bent out of shape about it. If we do end up signing Collins you can't even really complain about the recruiting this year.

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Giles will be able to recruit much better with what his guys are about to put on film.  He never had issues getting badasses when Mack was in charge.

2 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

Sweet Christ. Giles never had trouble getting badasses when Muschamp was the DC because we were winning 10 games a year and Muschamp could actually coach and recruit. When people list all the players credited to Giles for being a great coach, it always consists of high 4 and 5 star players that would have played well if they were being coached by a potato plant. Name me one 3 star player Giles coached up or another player that committed to Texas because of Giles. Not to mention he’s the worst recruiter on the staff. He had to have other members of the staff help him recruit because he’s so bad at it. Ossai, Ojomo, Carson were recruited by Tim Beck and Bryan Carrington . We really crushed it last year with Mgapi and Warren. The DL played okay this year because Coburn is an NFL caliber player and Roach is a senior that Giles didn’t do shit to bring here. TQ has been MIA all season. And for this year’s DL haul that Giles is supposedly responsible for? He’s so good the UT legacy Collins is dying to jump on board? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Sweet Christ. Giles never had trouble getting badasses when Muschamp was the DC because we were winning 10 games a year and Muschamp could actually coach and recruit. When people list all the players credited to Giles for being a great coach, it always consists of high 4 and 5 star players that would have played well if they were being coached by a potato plant. Name me one 3 star player Giles coached up or another player that committed to Texas because of Giles. Not to mention he’s the worst recruiter on the staff. He had to have other members of the staff help him recruit because he’s so bad at it. Ossai, Ojomo, Carson were recruited by Tim Beck and Bryan Carrington . We really crushed it last year with Mgapi and Warren. The DL played okay this year because Coburn is an NFL caliber player and Roach is a senior that Giles didn’t do shit to bring here. TQ has been MIA all season. And for this year’s DL haul that Giles is supposedly responsible for? He’s so good the UT legacy Collins is dying to jump on board? 

Did Giles fuck your wife? Your hatred for him is reaching golfclap-Drayton levels.  He coached up Omenihu, Poona, Roach, even Nelson and was on track to land all of Broughton, Collins, Fillinger, and Princely before stuff outside his control went to shit. I don’t really like him and would prefer to replace him, but your characterization of his coaching and recruiting is absurd. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did Giles fuck your wife? Your hatred for him is reaching golfclap-Drayton levels.  He coached up Omenihu, Poona, Roach, even Nelson and was on track to land all of Broughton, Collins, Fillinger, and Princely before stuff outside his control went to shit. I don’t really like him and would prefer to replace him, but your characterization of his coaching and recruiting is absurd. 

I’m tired of Texas settling for average. It’s maddening. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Giles most successful pro at Texas was a 3 star LB. I also disagree with Muschamp being a + recruiter when he was here. His LB takes were as bad as Orlando's.

Yes, there was this cat from Splendora that Giles coached who was pretty good.

Giles also lost his 2 best pass rushers when we had to make that move as an emergency.  Pickryl was a 5 star, but Mike Williams would have been the best DE Texas had ever seen if he went to class.  The amount of talented head cases under Mack made me want to bang my head against the wall.

Edited by Fondren & Main

Who cares about Giles most successful “pro” was? Robison was drafted in the 4th round. A college position coach is to get a guy drafted in the 1st round, ideally. That indicates he got the most out of them and prepared them in college. Not that untapped potential was left on the table while they were playing on a college campus. 

That’s like bragging about all the undrafted free agents we’ve had that have managed to stick it out in the pros. Yes, a Texas has been fucked by lazy shitheel NFL scouting prejudices regularly in the past, but I think everyone can agree we’d rather see these guys drafted than undrafted. Same goes with draft slot out of college. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Damn.  Wonder where Applewhite is going to end up.  I thought he would get that job for sure. 

15 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I believe it was a tight end that got him in trouble last time at Texas. So no. 

I thought the issue was with Moorhead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OB update

Spoiler

Texas special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Derek Warehime will join the list of Tom Herman assistants to become coordinators at another program.

According to my sources, Warehime will be named the offensive coordinator at New Mexico.

Former Arizona State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzalez was recently named New Mexico’s head coach. Warehime was an assistant coach at New Mexico from 2012 to 2014 before joining Herman’s staff at Houston. In addition, Warehime was one of Herman’s original hires at Texas.

To recap, former Longhorn coach Drew Mehringer was named the co-offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic, Tim Beck is North Carolina State’s offense coordinator, while Warehime will be elevated at New Mexico.

I have said this previously, but one thing Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy told me that has stuck is the sign of a healthy coaching staff is when assistant coaching are becoming coordinators, and coordinators become head coaches. Clearly, Herman needed to make changes after this past season. However, seeing other programs quickly snatch Herman’s assistants shows he hired guys who other college coaches view very highly.

Newly hired coordinators Mike Yurcich and Chris Ash will likely arrive in Austin next week. I can confirm that Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is a candidate to keep an eye on. There is a possibility Oscar Giles and Robinson split defensive line duties, according to my sources. I will dig deeper on that one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Damn. If your the HC at New Mexico and this is the best you can do I am sure you would feel defeated already. Fucking awful hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Two things:

1. New Mexico is a shitty shitty program. There’s nothing to recruit in New Mexico and no one gives a shit about that team. 

2. Warehime worked at New Mexico previously (before going to Houston) and was successful in his time there. 

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Elijah Robinson was Quincy Roche's lead recruiter at Temple. A big reason Roche committed to Temple. 

I would think Robinson would put us squarely in the mix for Roche. Roche and Ossai at DE would be pretty damn tasty. 

While I’d prefer Okam - it’s possible Rhule is planning to take Okam with him to whatever NFL job he ends up taking - Robinson would be a good hire. 

Didnt know about the Roche connection - that would be an incredible get. 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While I’d prefer Okam - it’s possible Rhule is planning to take Okam with him to whatever NFL job he ends up taking - Robinson would be a good hire. 

Robinson is one of the few good coaches on aggys staff. Mack (SR year) and Madubuike both improved significantly under Robinson. The DE's are regressing under Price while their DTs continue to improve under Robinson. 

Robinson also has a hell of an eye for talent. Think he was the lead recruiter for Lynch when he was at Baylor. People are giving Okam most of the credit for Baylor's DL when Robinson probably played just as big a role in talent evaluation. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Taking a guy who’s been a college position coach for all of four years is a bold strategy, Cotton.

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Two things:

1. New Mexico is a shitty shitty program. There’s nothing to recruit in New Mexico and no one gives a shit about that team. 

2. Warehime worked at New Mexico previously (before going to Houston) and was successful in his time there. 

And this is why they'll continue to be shitty.  It's the Peter Principle on steroids.  These football guys just don't know how to hire.  Instead of doing proper  due diligence and a careful search of people you don't know based upon objective criteria (like Gundy does), these fucksticks piss away their golden opportunity by hiring their buddies from four stops ago who are getting shitcanned because they suck.  And so the cycle continues . . . 

Oh well, not our problem anymore.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Taking a guy who’s been a college position coach for all of four years is a bold strategy, Cotton.

I don’t have any idea if Rhule has him as a NFL guy - but given Okam’s career as a player and the last couple of years at Baylor - it wouldn’t surprise me  

If we were going with one DL coach - I probably wouldn’t be looking at Okam - but I’d have no problem pairing him with an experienced guy like Giles. 

Im all for having the best most experienced staff possible, but we need to have at least a couple of young coaches who are being developed on this staff.  They’re usually the guys who connect the best with recruits/players. And with Okam being a former NFL’er and having his T ring - I’d like to see him back on the 40 acres. 

That said - it looks like Robinson is a damn good coach - so I sertsinly wouldn’t complain if that’s the direction they decide to go. 

So far it looks like CDC has influenced Tom to at least look around and not hire the first guy he is comfortable with.

This is Herman’s get out of jail free card and he can’t fuck it up.

Robinson and Jones would both be great hires. I have not idea about a CB coach but I’m hoping it’s not Washington. Washington recruited well the first couple of years but 2020 has been a failure with only securing Crawford so far.

With Warehime officially out I guess they could go get the Cougar High coach but you have to think there is someone else out there with more experience.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Damn. If your the HC at New Mexico and this is the best you can do I am sure you would feel defeated already. Fucking awful hire.

UNM's entire athletics program has been deep in the shit for the last couple years so this hire actually makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1