2020 Coaching Staff

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Anwar out there doing PR work for Herman in exchange for his scoops. 

Seems like Mensa likes making FCB look bad, so he's currently leaking decent Intel to Anwar's sources at Belmont.

We will probably start hearing a lot more negativity out of Bobby Burton since it appears that Mensa is not being kind to FCB or kissing the ring of "The Godfather of $9.95 Land" 😀

I love living in NM. The UNM program has been garbage under Davie. People would actually support the program if they weren't so terrible. I've been of the opinion that they should have brought in a young, innovative offensive coach...but they brought in another defensive guy. And now they have Wareheim running the offense. I'm guessing mediocrity is their new ceiling with these hires. 

All that said, the university (and athletic dept) doesn't have money to spend on good, experienced coaches.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

All that said, the university (and athletic dept) don't have money to spend on good coaches.

NM is one of the poorest states in the union and have nearly zero home grown talent. They are never going to be shit in college football. Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana also rank near the top of poorest states, but they have a ton of local and regional talent to draw on. If I were a coach I'd take an FCS job in the South over NM. UTSA has a better chance of real CFB success than UNM.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

NM is one of the poorest states in the union and have nearly zero home grown talent. They are never going to be shit in college football. Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana also rank near the top of poorest states, but they have a ton of local and regional talent to draw on. If I were a coach I'd take an FCS job in the South over NM. UTSA has a better chance of real CFB success than UNM.

Don’t hurt yourself going way out on that limb, sir. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Of course they aren't going to be powerhouse. But that doesn't mean they can't be decent in the Mountain West. They have been in the past. 

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Of course they aren't going to be powerhouse. But that doesn't mean they can't be decent in the Mountain West. They have been in the past. 

Decent in the MWC == mediocrity, which you appeared to think was too low a ceiling.

14 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I'm guessing mediocrity is their new ceiling with these hires. 

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Sam Acho was also a 3 star.  Orakpo was a 4 star, but I think a lowish one IIRC.  Even in the prime Mack years we would have some cycles where we’d miss on some big name DEs (the year we signed Crowder we also missed on like 4 other supposedly elite edge prospects).   But other than Jarvis Moss and then Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas in Mack’s last years, the players we missed never really seemed to do as well as whoever we ended up signing.

So, I’m at peace with Giles.  He ultimately does get consistently good performance on the field, albeit with a sometimes maddening recruiting process along the way.   Could we get someone better?  Maybe, but Herman is in save his ass mode right now, and I don’t think he would hesitate to make the change if he thought Giles could be upgraded.  The alignment bro era is over now that Herman feels some heat.

Add to this what he did with two of Mack's jumbo back takes, Whaley and Houston.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Decent in the MWC == mediocrity, which you appeared to think was too low a ceiling.

Oh gotcha...yes, you're right that "decent" (IMO, somewhere between .500-.650 win%) in the MW is mediocre from a national perspective, but I am thinking even those "heights" seem unlikely with the staff they've assembled. But who knows.  

12 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I went to high school in Albuquerque and even with my parents and brother living there still,  I haven't been back since 2005 and am not looking to go back anytime soon.

Man I like living in Albuquerque...easy access to hiking and camping, great weather, no traffic.

But I didn't get here until I was kind of old, not sure I would have had the same opinion at a younger age. 

29 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I spent 9 years of my young life in various NM locations. Strippers can be stunning but we all know how that turns out.

Need more info. I go to Santa Fe regularly, but yeah, it is for a friend.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Man I like living in Albuquerque...easy access to hiking and camping, great weather, no traffic.

But I didn't get here until I was kind of old, not sure I would have had the same opinion at a younger age. 

Anytime I quickly pass through Thunderdome, I run into this. I guess on the outskirts it might be ok, but passing through on the interstate, it's always an adventure.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Anytime I quickly pass through Thunderdome, I run into this. I guess on the outskirts it might be ok, but passing through on the interstate, it's always an adventure.

My basis of comparison is Houston and Austin...but yeah, to your point, I don't really have a commute. 40 can be messy. 

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe I’m jaded because of my lengthy time there but I’d much rather live in Tulsa or Jackson, MS than anywhere in New Mexico.

There are parts of the state that are unappealing, but if you like the outdoors, nature, etc, the ABQ/SF region up through Taos (the northern half of the state) is great. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

New Mexico has some great places to live.  And some really, really shitty places.  If you live in one of the great places, it is awesome.  Have an uncle that lives in Las Campanas just north of Santa Fe.  It is a fantastic life he lives.

My in-laws are in Las Campanas, it is really nice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Is Texas really considering a coach that "Row The Boat" fired??

C'mon Man! 

Gophers fire defensive coordinator Robb Smith after 21 games. 

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/04/gophers-fire-defensive-coordinator-robb-smith/

It's not always a bad thing to hire a guy who's been promoted above his level and fired back at the position he was good at.

Edited by texifornia