2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

There are parts of the state that are unappealing, but if you like the outdoors, nature, etc, the ABQ/SF region up through Taos (the northern half of the state) is great. 

My in-laws are in Las Campanas, it is really nice. 

My parents have a place there. I really like visiting although the club use to do a lot more elaborate stuff for 4th of July and other events.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

It's not always a bad thing to hire a guy who's been promoted above his level and fired back at the position he was good at.

He's currently an analyst at aggy... Just seems like an underwhelming LB coaching candidate for Texas.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's not always a bad thing to hire a guy who's been promoted above his level and fired back at the position he was good at.

He's currently an analyst at aggy... Just seems like an underwhelming LB coaching candidate for Texas.  Has a background in Special Teams though.

FORMER DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR ROBB SMITH

Title/Alt Text(Photo: Gopher Football/Twitter)

Robb Smith is interesting because he left Arkansas for Minnesota, which allowed Paul Rhoads to be elevated into the defensive coordinator role. The bad blood Smith had on Arkansas was with Bret Bielema, but it remains to be seen what the relationship with Rhoads and Smith is currently like.  The reality of the situation is that Smith likely is not a great coordinator having been fired from Minnesota, but he does have accomplishments as a position coach.

In 2016 at Arkansas, Smith’s defense was among the best in the nation against the run, holding 12 of 13 opponents below their season rushing average. Allowing only 116.46 yards per game on the ground, Arkansas ranked second in the Southeastern Conference and 12th nationally in rushing defense.  Most notably, the Razorback defense did not allow a running back to rush for more than 100 yards in regulation, which included both LSU’s Leonard Fournette (91) and Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry (95) from national champion Alabama. Fournette and Henry averaged 162.75 and 147.93 yards rushing per game respectively.  In 2014, Smith’s first season on The Hill, the Arkansas defense ranked No. 10 in both scoring defense (19.2 points per game) and total defense (323.4 yards per game). It was the first time since Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992 that the Razorbacks had finished in the top 10 in either statistic.  In that same year, the Arkansas defense posted an improvement of 11.6 points allowed per game, the largest turnaround in the SEC and the seventh-best improvement in the nation. Arkansas became the first unranked team in college football history to post back-to-back shutouts of ranked opponents when the Razorbacks blanked No. 20 LSU and No. 8 Ole Miss.

Smith spent the 2013 season as linebackers coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after 14 years of collegiate coaching experience, which included four seasons at Rutgers University where he was defensive coordinator and secondary coach in 2012.

The 2012 season saw Rutgers claim its first conference title since 1961 and the fifth in school history. The Scarlet Knights finished the year ranked fourth in the nation in points allowed per game (14.2), sixth in rush yards allowed per game (95.2), 10th in total defense (311.6 yards per game) and tied for third in rushing touchdowns allowed (6). Rutgers allowed just 91 points against seven Big East opponents, ranking as the eighth-lowest total in conference history. The defense held opponents to 95.2 rushing yards per game, only the third time in school history the Scarlet Knights kept the opponent average below 100 yards.  Prior to 2012, Smith served in various capacities on the Rutgers staff including special teams coordinator and linebackers coach in 2011, special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach in 2010 and special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach in 2009.  Under Smith’s guidance, Rutgers became one of the best special teams units in college football. The Scarlet Knights ranked in the top 10 in blocked punts each of his three years coordinating the unit. Rutgers led the country in 2010 with nine blocked punts, tied for second in 2011 with nine and ranked eighth in 2009 with five. While Smith was at Rutgers, the Scarlet Knights led the nation with 31 blocked kicks.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Arizona-ten-assistants-to-watch-141014268/#141014268_6

Edited by LTtxfan

51 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

There are parts of the state that are unappealing, but if you like the outdoors, nature, etc, the ABQ/SF region up through Taos (the northern half of the state) is great. 

My in-laws are in Las Campanas, it is really nice. 

Clearly none of you New Mexico-philes were there involuntarily at the behest of the USAF. Albuquerque is passable, but Alamogordo and Clovis-Portales might be worse than the DMZ.

• Like 1

Just now, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Clearly none of you New Mexico-philes were there involuntarily at the behest of the USAF. Albuquerque is passable, but Alamogordo and Clovis-Portales might be worse than the DMZ.

Don't forget about lovely Hobbs. Had an option to rotate there when going to PA school. The "draw" was that it's a great place to learn how to treat someone with a stab or gun shot wound.

4 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

A lot of my family are from the Las Cruces/Alamogordo area. Alamogordo is fucking bleak and depressing as fuck. I hate going back there. My grandpa still lives there and basically once he passes, I see no reason why I will ever go back there. 

16 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

A lot of my family are from the Las Cruces/Alamogordo area. Alamogordo is fucking bleak and depressing as fuck. I hate going back there. My grandpa still lives there and basically once he passes, I see no reason why I will ever go back there. 

We led the USAF in suicides, drug cases, and DUIs for the period I was there. They let me come back to San Antonio after 16 months for good behavior.
I was given an Achievement Medal for basically being the only physician and/or administrator at the Hospital to not be given an LOR. Two senior doctors got sent to Minot, which was our equivalent of the gulag. In retrospect, I learned out about how to handle myself over the last 25 years.

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

OB update

Hide contents

Texas special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Derek Warehime will join the list of Tom Herman assistants to become coordinators at another program.

According to my sources, Warehime will be named the offensive coordinator at New Mexico.

Former Arizona State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzalez was recently named New Mexico’s head coach. Warehime was an assistant coach at New Mexico from 2012 to 2014 before joining Herman’s staff at Houston. In addition, Warehime was one of Herman’s original hires at Texas.

To recap, former Longhorn coach Drew Mehringer was named the co-offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic, Tim Beck is North Carolina State’s offense coordinator, while Warehime will be elevated at New Mexico.

I have said this previously, but one thing Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy told me that has stuck is the sign of a healthy coaching staff is when assistant coaching are becoming coordinators, and coordinators become head coaches. Clearly, Herman needed to make changes after this past season. However, seeing other programs quickly snatch Herman’s assistants shows he hired guys who other college coaches view very highly.

Newly hired coordinators Mike Yurcich and Chris Ash will likely arrive in Austin next week. I can confirm that Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is a candidate to keep an eye on. There is a possibility Oscar Giles and Robinson split defensive line duties, according to my sources. I will dig deeper on that one.

How many of these guys are making more money at their new jobs? I don't give a damn about titles, it's all about the $. 

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

My wife has family in Clovis. It’s not bad for a weekend with them but I wouldn’t want to live there. 

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I went to NM a couple times to look at ruins. It was nice enough but the stuff in UT/AZ is obviously more scenic.

or Mesa Verde in Colorado.

lived in NW NM for about three years. sucked except for the fact I could be in Durango / Purgatory ski resort in about 45 minutes. EVERY. DAMN. WEEKEND.

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Sounds like Naivar was let go as expected. I bet that was a tough one for Herman.

Source??  

Last I saw was FCB's recent quote:  "Current safeties coach Craig Naivar, cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and D-line coach Oscar Giles are expected to meet next week with Ash about their futures. "

Either way -- Hope Mensa/Ash let the current assistants know quickly...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

I read that it only took them 1 take for the pizza to land like that

The brilliance of that pizza is that in later episode they pointed out that the pizza is intentionally not sliced by the pizza company to save costs to explain why it didn't fall apart.

It's not dions pizza with green Chile though. 

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Source??  

Last I saw was FCB's recent quote:  "Current safeties coach Craig Naivar, cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and D-line coach Oscar Giles are expected to meet next week with Ash about their futures. "

Either way -- Hope Mensa/Ash let the current assistants know quickly...

Curious about the source too. Nothing shows up on a search other than a tweet that he might end up the DC at UTSA if not retained by Texas.

https://twitter.com/spursnsalsa/status/1212412695598813184

The Mexican food is supposed to be half decent in NM? I went to Albuquerque a long long time ago and ate somewhere that was good, next to a bowling alley I think. Sadie’s? Maybe it was touristy crap and I was young and didn’t know any better at the time. Looks like it’s still in operation after 60 years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

He will find a good gig I’m sure. Especially If Warehime and Mehringer could find jobs as fast as they did

Kinda blows up that bullshit about Herman not being able to find them jobs Last year so he could move on. In reality, he won 10 games and didn’t want to displace his bros, so he kept them and that tanked the entire 2019 season. 

I'm pleased with the staff shake up. Drayton and Hand are the only two assistants on the offensive side that I felt should be retained. The shit stains and dead weight are gone. Drayton did a phenomenal job given the injury carousel that transpired at the RB position. I believe Johnson should remain at RB with Whittington moving to WR. Ingram, Johnson and Bijan would be a bad ass group of backs and the best group Texas has had at the position since 2005.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

My parents have a place there. I really like visiting although the club use to do a lot more elaborate stuff for 4th of July and other events.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Any Ruidoso recs?  Going this summer for a heat escape.  

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

New Mexico has some great places to live.  And some really, really shitty places.  If you live in one of the great places, it is awesome.  Have an uncle that lives in Las Campanas just north of Santa Fe.  It is a fantastic life he lives.

Lot of privilege on this Coaching thread.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The Mexican food is supposed to be half decent in NM? I went to Albuquerque a long long time ago and ate somewhere that was good, next to a bowling alley I think. Sadie’s? Maybe it was touristy crap and I was young and didn’t know any better at the time. Looks like it’s still in operation after 60 years.

I lived 2 years in Albuquerque and the food is ass my dude. (With the exception of Dion's which has a location in Lubbock, but is not Mexican).

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I lived 2 years in Albuquerque and the food is ass my dude. (With the exception of Dion's which has a location in Lubbock, but is not Mexican).

It’s true. Moving from Houston to ABQ was great in a lot of ways...but holy shit the drop off in restaurant quality/volume is obviously enormous.

there are a few good spots here and there but overall it’s unimpressive.

3 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Some of the best Chinese food I've ever had was in Taos of all places.

Taos (And Santa Fe) has some great restaurants. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I went to a Motley Crue, Godsmack, and Drowning Pool concert in Albuquerque, NM at the amphitheater they have in the mountains.  Met Nikki Sixx in the airport flying out the next day.  That's my contribution to New Mexico talk.

That sounds like a fucjing awesome lineup