2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

McGuire is the rumored favorite. If he stays, I doubt much changes with Okam. Also, the impediment to getting Okam seems to be our lack of interest, not his, so far. 

The only reference to Okam I think is from Surly.  I don't think I've seen any 995er mention him in any serious discussion.  

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

IT has an assistant update, anyone have it 

From Nahlin:

Spoiler

It’s perhaps premature to consider Kansas WR Emmett Jones the front-runner for the same position. That might actually be someone else. We think UH’s Tyron Carrier would be a fantastic fit. Things could be heating up on that front. Like Jones, Carrier has a fantastic all around reputation.

For the first time we’re beginning to hear Frank Okam’s name bubble up for DT’s. This is independent of Matt Rhule taking the Carolina job. The former Longhorn d-lineman and NFL player has done a fine job in Waco and it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

• Like 2

Anwar just mentioned Okam in his Tuesday update

Spoiler

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are expected to interview the remaining coaches on Tom Herman’s staff this week as they determine who should remain in Austin.

From what I have been able to gather, defensive line coach Oscar Giles is slated to meet with Ash on Tuesday, and defensive backs coach Jason Washington’s meeting is slated to occur on Wednesday. Safeties coach safeties coach Craig Naivar and interim linebackers coach Jeremiah George will meet with Ash, too.

According to my sources, this will not resemble Herman’s initial interviews with Charlie Strong’s remaining staff members. Those coaches were informed during those meetings by Herman they would not be retained. Instead, I learned these meetings are intended for the coordinators to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each coach before reconvening with Herman and discussing who should be retained.

As I previously reported, running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive line coach Herb Hand are safe.

In addition, Baylor defensive line coach Frank Okam is a candidate to become a member of Herman’s staff, according to my sources.

Okam was a four-year letterman at Texas, and a fifth-round pick by Houston in 2008. He spent the past two seasons coaching Baylor’s defensive line. Prior to Baylor, Okam coached at Rice. It appears Herman and Ash will need to determine Giles’ future before deciding whether they will heavily pursue Okam.

Just for clarity, I heard there is a chance Texas could have co-defensive line coaches in 2020. Herman and Ash will determine that direction. For now, I think it safe to say all cards are on the table as relates to that position.

Here is an information article by Max Olson about Baylor's dominant defensive line in 2019: https://theathletic.com/1401296/2019/11/25/baylor-defensive-line-bravvion-roy-james-lynch/

I will keep you posted.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skyline said:

From Nahlin:

Hide contents

It’s perhaps premature to consider Kansas WR Emmett Jones the front-runner for the same position. That might actually be someone else. We think UH’s Tyron Carrier would be a fantastic fit. Things could be heating up on that front. Like Jones, Carrier has a fantastic all around reputation.

For the first time we’re beginning to hear Frank Okam’s name bubble up for DT’s. This is independent of Matt Rhule taking the Carolina job. The former Longhorn d-lineman and NFL player has done a fine job in Waco and it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Carrier would be great and Okam is a no brainer

11 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Anwar just mentioned Okam in his Tuesday update

Hide contents

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are expected to interview the remaining coaches on Tom Herman’s staff this week as they determine who should remain in Austin.

From what I have been able to gather, defensive line coach Oscar Giles is slated to meet with Ash on Tuesday, and defensive backs coach Jason Washington’s meeting is slated to occur on Wednesday. Safeties coach safeties coach Craig Naivar and interim linebackers coach Jeremiah George will meet with Ash, too.

According to my sources, this will not resemble Herman’s initial interviews with Charlie Strong’s remaining staff members. Those coaches were informed during those meetings by Herman they would not be retained. Instead, I learned these meetings are intended for the coordinators to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each coach before reconvening with Herman and discussing who should be retained.

As I previously reported, running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive line coach Herb Hand are safe.

In addition, Baylor defensive line coach Frank Okam is a candidate to become a member of Herman’s staff, according to my sources.

Okam was a four-year letterman at Texas, and a fifth-round pick by Houston in 2008. He spent the past two seasons coaching Baylor’s defensive line. Prior to Baylor, Okam coached at Rice. It appears Herman and Ash will need to determine Giles’ future before deciding whether they will heavily pursue Okam.

Just for clarity, I heard there is a chance Texas could have co-defensive line coaches in 2020. Herman and Ash will determine that direction. For now, I think it safe to say all cards are on the table as relates to that position.

Here is an information article by Max Olson about Baylor's dominant defensive line in 2019: https://theathletic.com/1401296/2019/11/25/baylor-defensive-line-bravvion-roy-james-lynch/

I will keep you posted.

Is Anwar trying to act like having 2 DL coaches would be a surprise? Didn’t Herman Say in a presser that was the plan?

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

names mentioned that haven’t been before

CB- Jay Valai, Cory Robinson and Kerry Coombs

DL- Eric Robinson of the Rams 

Kerry Coombs has been the favorite for the Ohio St DC job for a while.  Maybe thats just message board bullshit?

Eric Robinson would be awesome - but would mean no Okam.

Haven't seen Valai  or Cory Robinson mentioned before.

*Oh shit - Valai is from Rutgers...

So apparently Valai was a starting safety at Wisconsin during the Ash years.  Left college and became a FWK type trainer here in Texas training high school and college athletes.  Left that to go be a QC coach at Georgia for a couple of years - then took a job as a QC coach with the Chiefs in the NFL.  Was hired by Rutgers in 2019 as DB coach - his first ever on-field coaching position.

This seems like quite a big jump. 

• Like 1

LOL - Cory Robinson was at Rutgers as well.

Cory Robinson:

2019-pres.: Defensive Passing Game Coordinator/DB’s, Maryland
2018: Cornerbacks/Passing Game Coordinator, Rutgers
2017: Cornerbacks, Temple
2016: Cornerbacks, Toledo
2015: Director of Player Personnel, Maryland
2014: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, St. Frances Academy HS (Md.)
2009-13: Director of Football Operations/Recruiting Coordinator/Asst. Varsity Coach, Calvery Hall College HS