2020 Coaching Staff

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Funny you mentioned that. Was talking with some baby BMD’s who’ve staunchly defended playing the game the right way for the last twenty years, refusing to start paying players. They are getting very pissed off now at what’s happening at Georgia, A&M, LSU, etc. with no NCAA anywhere in sight. That, combined with the sham process from the basketball scandal, has folks finally starting to contemplate that type of move. It’s sad really but I don’t blame people for being frustrated. I am too.

Who really cares about paying players?  Cardale had it right for the most part.  College football is semi-pro ball.  Just pay them and be done with it.  Zach Evans is the opposite of a student athlete.  That guy wouldn’t get accepted to UT in a million years with his academic record.  I’m ready to win.  If we want to actually make college football about school then the NFL needs to to develop a minor league for the guys that can’t cut it academically.  Everyone who doesn’t want to play the game is whistling past the graveyard at this point.

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Funny you mentioned that. Was talking with some baby BMD’s who’ve staunchly defended playing the game the right way for the last twenty years, refusing to start paying players. They are getting very pissed off now at what’s happening at Georgia, A&M, LSU, etc. with no NCAA anywhere in sight. That, combined with the sham process from the basketball scandal, has folks finally starting to contemplate that type of move. It’s sad really but I don’t blame people for being frustrated. I am too.

What I don't get is that if it is so widely known that certain schools are paying dirty, why does nobody do a job and absolutely blow the lid off of the whole thing?

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Who really cares about paying players?  Cardale had it right for the most part.  College football is semi-pro ball.  Just pay them and be done with it.  Zach Evans is the opposite of a student athlete.  That guy wouldn’t get accepted to UT in a million years with his academic record.  I’m ready to win.  If we want to actually make college football about school then the NFL needs to to develop a minor league for the guys that can’t cut it academically.  Everyone who doesn’t want to play the game is whistling past the graveyard at this point.

Are you arguing we should be in the Evans chase? Because that's what it sounds like.

First the NCAA is worthless. The same organization that let Newton play, walked back punishments for Penn State and hasn’t done a god dammed thing to Baylor who institutionally recruited and harbored rapists. 

Also Nancy Drew, how does one prove someone is dirty? This isn’t the Wire, you aren’t getting phone taps. Plus there are burner phones, uncles, street agents, churches, car dealers involved that are professionals of laundering money.   Unless someone confesses WITH hard evidence.  you ain’t got shit 

• Like 1

Eyes of Texas- FCB

Spoiler

POSITION COACH SEARCHES CONTINUE …

With offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash beginning a regular schedule at Texas this week, the search is on to fill out the remainder of the Texas coaching staff.

We reported over the weekend offensive line coach Herb Hand and running backs coach Stan Drayton will be staying on as assistant coaches. That means Yurcich and Tom Herman are looking for a receivers coach and tight ends coach on offense, because Yurcich will serve as QB coach.

On defense, Ash is interviewing the assistant coaches who remained after Herman’s staff shakeup on Dec. 1 - defensive line coach Oscar Giles, safeties coach Craig Naivar and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington.

Herman has said he plans to have five assistants on offense and five on defense, including a defensive tackles coach and defensive ends coach on D.

We reported in the Eyes last week that Ash had his eye on Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson. But Jimbo Fisher, John Sharp and/or the 12th Man Foundation came through with a nice raise for Robinson, whose salary will go up from the $583,000 he made this past season in College Station.

So Robinson will either stay in Aggieland or possibly join his old boss Matt Rhule in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers (Robinson was Rhule’s defensive line coach at Temple in 2015-16 and for one season at Baylor in 2017).

From what we’re hearing Ash has gauged the interest of Pitt associate head coach/defensive line coach Charlie Partridge, who coached with Ash at Wisconsin in 2011-12 and at Arkansas in 2013 (all under coach Bret Bielema).

It sounds like former Texas defensive tackle Frank Okam, Rhule’s defensive line coach at Baylor the past two seasons, is getting consideration from Herman and Ash (and could be interviewed this week).

Okam’s D-line was monstrous this season, leading the nation in sacks when rushing only three. Junior defensive end James Lynch of Round Rock was the Big 12 Defensive Player Of The Year, and senior nose tackle Bravvion Roy was first-team All-Big 12.

With all of the coaching turnover in the NFL right now, I’m hearing there could be a candidate or two on staffs in the NFL where the head coach was just let go.

One of the names of real intrigue is Tosh Lupoi, who served as defensive coordinator at Alabama in 2018 and then took the job as defensive line coach with the Cleveland Browns, where head coach Freddie Kitchens was just let go.

I’m hearing Lupoi, a defensive lineman at Cal from 2000-05, would like to stay in the NFL if he can find a new gig in the league. If not, Lupoi could be looking for a place to land and has always been considered an elite recruiter.

I’m hearing if Lupoi can’t find an NFL gig that excites him, there could already be some traction with Texas.

I was asked today about Rams defensive line coach Eric Henderson now that Rams' defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has been let go. Henderson just finished his first season with the Rams after two seasons as D-line coach with the Chargers.

Henderson was a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State from 2013-15 (when Yurcich was offensive coordinator in Stillwater), and then Henderson served as D-line coach at UT-San Antonio for a season in 2016 before moving on to the NFL.

But I haven’t heard if Henderson has hit Herman and Ash’s radar at this point the way I know Lupoi has.

I mentioned in the Eyes last week that former Arkansas and Minnesota defensive coordinator Robb Smith was under consideration as Texas’ linebackers coach. And I think that is still the case.

I inquired about why things didn’t work out with Smith at Minnesota, where he was let go in 2018 by P.J. Fleck. I was told Smith was headed to Tennessee with Greg Schiano in 2018 until the fan revolt resulted in Tennessee backing out of the Schiano hire.

After Smith had already told Fleck he was leaving for Tennessee and then ended up returning to Minnesota, it just didn’t work between Fleck and Smith, I was told.

Smith, who spent the 2019 season as an analyst at Texas A&M, also has a strong special teams background, having served as special teams coordinator at Rutgers from 2009-11.

Ash is in the process of talking Naivar, Washington and Giles.

While Giles, a former defensive end at Texas, has been seen as a possible holdover on the staff going forward, I’m told that’s “a fluid situation” depending on who else is hired onto the defensive staff.

Names of potential cornerbacks coach candidates have been hard to come by, in part, because Washington is expected to be given serious consideration by Ash.

One name we’ve heard to keep an eye on is Texas Tech defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks, who has coached DBs at Wisconsin (2006-09), Notre Dame (2010-14, serving as co-defensive coordinator from 2012-14) and Oklahoma (2015-18).

Cooks, a native of Dallas who attended Irving Nimitz, has primarily coached corners or the entire secondary throughout his career, although he coached safeties at Texas Tech last season.

We continue to hear that former Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando is likely to have an opportunity to lead a defense at another Power Five school and could possibly take Naivar and/or Washington with him.

On offense, while names of potential tight ends coaches have been hard to come by - as I reported on Monday - don’t look for former Texas tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator Tim Brewster to be making a return to Austin.

Whether it's out of respect for his former boss at Texas - Mack Brown - not to go after one of Brown’s prized assistants at North Carolina, I’m told Herman isn’t considering Brewster and won’t.

Now that Yurcich is settling into his Texas gig, we might hear some more names emerge as potential receivers coaches.

I’m not sure the names getting the most run - Kansas’ Emmett Jones and Houston’s Tyron Carrier - are guys Yurcich is totally familiar with.

Jones, a former Texas Tech receivers coach, is a guy USC’s Graham Harrell would’ve definitely put on his list. Carrier is a guy I think Herman has been intrigued with.

But it remains to be seen if those are guys Yurcich ultimately considers. And considering Herman has gotten Yurcich to buy into keeping Hand as O-line coach and Drayton as running backs coach, I think Herman wants Yurcich to have some say over the receivers and tight ends coaching hires.

Stay tuned.

(Chip Brown)

CURRENT ASSISTANTS INTERVIEWING TO KEEP THEIR JOBS

(Photo: Ed Mulholland, USA TODAY Sports)
As Horns247 reported Tuesday, the remaining defensive assistants on staff began the interview process with Chris Ash this week with the hopes of keeping their jobs. Sources told Horns247 that the interviews started Tuesday and are expected to be finished Wednesday, meaning more concrete news about the future position coaches will come down very, very soon.

One note to mention, I'm hearing the future is not looking great for co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach Craig Naivar because he and Ash both coach the same position. While there could be the option to move Naivar to coach another position on defense, I'm told Ash may not be too keen to that idea.

Stay tuned.

(Taylor Estes)

WHAT’S RETURNING IN 2020 AT LINEBACKER AND RUNNING BACK …

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)
Last week in the Eyes, we took a look at the players returning in 2020 on the offensive and defensive lines.

This week, we look at the linebackers who will likely be counted on by new defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who has historically based out of a 4-3 scheme, as well as the running backs who will be counted on by Mike Yurcich.

We can count Joseph Ossai as an outside linebacker, but he’s likely to be playing a lot more stand-up defensive end than he’s played in the past.

I said all season Ossai was the team’s best pass rusher, even when Todd Orlando had him lined up all over the place, chasing slot receivers 25 to 30 yards down field.

I’m told Ash took serious note of Ossai’s performance in the Alamo Bowl against Utah (nine tackles, six TFLs, three sacks) and plans to have him near the line of scrimmage as a part of Herman’s priority of getting a better pass rush on first and second down without blitzing.

So, let’s focus on what are traditionally known as the middle, strong and weak side linebackers.

Ayodele Adeoye is probably further along as a middle linebacker than his play revealed this season. That’s because some of the quirks of Orlando’s defense (quirks Herman ultimately fired him over), included so much slanting of the defensive line to help clear a path for blitzing linebackers or safeties.

When Orlando slanted and blitzed to the correct side, the linebackers made plays. But when Orlando guessed wrong and slanted/blitzed to the wrong side, it took the linemen completely out of the play and left linebackers exposed to offensive linemen who could easily climb to the second level and block them.

Under Ash, Texas will allow its defensive linemen to do what they did against Utah, use their hands and one-on-one skills to shed blocks and make plays or rush the passer. Linebackers will know exactly what gap they’re responsible for (instead of guessing like they did a lot this past season when Orlando’s blitzes didn’t get home).

The bottom line is when linebackers know exactly what gap they’re responsible for, they can attack that gap, blow up whatever is in there and play much more physical.

That should help Adeoye, strong side linebacker Juwan Mitchell as well as likely weak side linebacker candidates Marcus Tillman Jr. and David Gbenda (and possibly a safety who could be spun down like DeMarvion Overshown).

Byron Vaughns is likely to back up Ossai as a stand-up defensive end (or what was known as the B-backer in Orlando's scheme).

Believe it or not, Texas has found depth at middle linebacker in former walk-on Cort Jaquess (pronounced JAY-kwiss), who had five tackles in the Alamo Bowl and hit gaps full speed, blowing up whatever was in front of him.

He’s obviously not a guy you want in coverage against a speedy running back, tight end or slot. But when it comes to stuffing the run, Jaquess can help and will.

For depth purposes, you could see Texas looking in the portal for potential grad transfers at linebacker.

At running back, everyone wants to know who will be in this position group’s meeting room.

Everything I’ve heard so far is that Jordan Whittington will remain at running back and will provide competition for Keaontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson and incoming, five-star freshman Bijan Robinson. For now, we'll go slowly with the comeback of Derrian Brown, who redshirted this season after having a stroke almost a year ago.

If one or more in that room can beat out Whittington so convincingly that Whittington would need another avenue to get on the field, then we can talk about Whittington possibly moving to receiver.

But Whittington put in a lot of work at running back in fall camp and in practice last season (making a lot of plays against the first-team Texas defense). That work/development needs to be paid off with an opportunity to show out at running back in 2020.

Herman said at the Alamo Bowl all indications are Whittington's most recent surgery to take care of painful scar tissue stemming from a previous sports hernia surgery in high school was successful.

Yurcich’s power spread concepts mirror Herman’s in that Yurcich likes to throw the ball to his backs, and we know all of Texas’ returning backs have shown they can catch the ball.

COMMENTS
While at Oklahoma State, Yurcich showed a willingness to put two and even three backs on the field (in a diamond formation) when his talent at running back has rivaled or exceeded the talent at receiver. In other words, Yurcich has shown he’ll adjust his scheme to make sure the best talent is on the field.

If the running back position can stay healthy in 2020, this should be a lot of fun to watch because Ingram and Roschon Johnson picked up a lot of valuable experience in 2019 and should only improve with the competition Whittington and Robinson will bring to the room.

(Chip Brown)

NOTE: Next week, as part of our series looking at players returning in 2020, we’ll look at cornerback and receiver.

• Like 2

What I don't get is that if it is so widely known that certain schools are paying dirty, why does nobody do a job and absolutely blow the lid off of the whole thing?

The basketball scandal happened because the FBI got involved and was able to use surveillance and other law enforcement techniques to develop rock solid evidence. The NCAA doesn’t have those powers and thus can’t prove anything, and even if they could, the FBI evidence still didn’t lead to much more than a slap on the wrist for a bunch of blue bloods.

If you really wanted to catch the programs, use tax evasion and federal investigations to trace back the money.

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The problem is that the NCAA just ignored an FBI wiretap where LSU’s b-ball coach was clearly talking about paying a recruit, so if that’s not good enough for them, then what is? Bank transfers directly from the school or a coach’s account? Photo/video evidence of a coach handing a recruit cash out in the open? No one’s ever getting that type of evidence because schools aren’t that dumb. All they have to do is have a bag man (or bag hag) hand money to a player’s family member and the NCAA has shown over and over again that it’s spineless and won’t do anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you really wanted to catch the programs, use tax evasion and federal investigations to trace back the money.

I don't understand why this has never been done.  If the FBI is willing to put a bunch of people in jail for gaming the system to get their snowflakes in college putting putting football players, their families, and BMDs away would seem right up their alley.  I'm betting that seeing some of their peers do time would curb a lot of that activity.

• Like 1

As Horns247 reported Tuesday, the remaining defensive assistants on staff began the interview process with Chris Ash this week with the hopes of keeping their jobs. Sources told Horns247 that the interviews started Tuesday and are expected to be finished Wednesday, meaning more concrete news about the future position coaches will come down very, very soon.

One note to mention, I'm hearing the future is not looking great for co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach Craig Naivar because he and Ash both coach the same position. While there could be the option to move Naivar to coach another position on defense, I'm told Ash may not be too keen to that idea.

Stay tuned.

(Taylor Estes)

Did she get paid for that?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Your vitriol this past 8 weeks for Herman has been a joy to watch and top flight entertainment, but I feel like the potential assistants on the board (not including Lupoi ffs) are going to make it hard to not have a vastly upgraded staff when all is said and done. Please don't let that diffuse your hate, just throwing it out there. 

Indefusable.

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The basketball scandal happened because the FBI got involved and was able to use surveillance and other law enforcement techniques to develop rock solid evidence. The NCAA doesn’t have those powers and thus can’t prove anything, and even if they could, the FBI evidence still didn’t lead to much more than a slap on the wrist for a bunch of blue bloods.

I'm not talking about the NCAA.  They are worthless.  I'm surprised some enterprising investigative reporters have never come across with a big story where they have major dirt on some of the big players - Alabama, Clemson, etc.  There was the Ole Miss story a couple of years ago, but even that was limited to the cases of a couple of players.

And it was Ole Miss.

And it was Ole Miss.

34 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Eyes of Texas- FCB

Reveal hidden contents

POSITION COACH SEARCHES CONTINUE …

With offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash beginning a regular schedule at Texas this week, the search is on to fill out the remainder of the Texas coaching staff.

We reported over the weekend offensive line coach Herb Hand and running backs coach Stan Drayton will be staying on as assistant coaches. That means Yurcich and Tom Herman are looking for a receivers coach and tight ends coach on offense, because Yurcich will serve as QB coach.

On defense, Ash is interviewing the assistant coaches who remained after Herman’s staff shakeup on Dec. 1 - defensive line coach Oscar Giles, safeties coach Craig Naivar and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington.

Herman has said he plans to have five assistants on offense and five on defense, including a defensive tackles coach and defensive ends coach on D.

We reported in the Eyes last week that Ash had his eye on Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson. But Jimbo Fisher, John Sharp and/or the 12th Man Foundation came through with a nice raise for Robinson, whose salary will go up from the $583,000 he made this past season in College Station.

So Robinson will either stay in Aggieland or possibly join his old boss Matt Rhule in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers (Robinson was Rhule’s defensive line coach at Temple in 2015-16 and for one season at Baylor in 2017).

From what we’re hearing Ash has gauged the interest of Pitt associate head coach/defensive line coach Charlie Partridge, who coached with Ash at Wisconsin in 2011-12 and at Arkansas in 2013 (all under coach Bret Bielema).

It sounds like former Texas defensive tackle Frank Okam, Rhule’s defensive line coach at Baylor the past two seasons, is getting consideration from Herman and Ash (and could be interviewed this week).

Okam’s D-line was monstrous this season, leading the nation in sacks when rushing only three. Junior defensive end James Lynch of Round Rock was the Big 12 Defensive Player Of The Year, and senior nose tackle Bravvion Roy was first-team All-Big 12.

With all of the coaching turnover in the NFL right now, I’m hearing there could be a candidate or two on staffs in the NFL where the head coach was just let go.

One of the names of real intrigue is Tosh Lupoi, who served as defensive coordinator at Alabama in 2018 and then took the job as defensive line coach with the Cleveland Browns, where head coach Freddie Kitchens was just let go.

I’m hearing Lupoi, a defensive lineman at Cal from 2000-05, would like to stay in the NFL if he can find a new gig in the league. If not, Lupoi could be looking for a place to land and has always been considered an elite recruiter.

I’m hearing if Lupoi can’t find an NFL gig that excites him, there could already be some traction with Texas.

I was asked today about Rams defensive line coach Eric Henderson now that Rams' defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has been let go. Henderson just finished his first season with the Rams after two seasons as D-line coach with the Chargers.

Henderson was a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State from 2013-15 (when Yurcich was offensive coordinator in Stillwater), and then Henderson served as D-line coach at UT-San Antonio for a season in 2016 before moving on to the NFL.

But I haven’t heard if Henderson has hit Herman and Ash’s radar at this point the way I know Lupoi has.

I mentioned in the Eyes last week that former Arkansas and Minnesota defensive coordinator Robb Smith was under consideration as Texas’ linebackers coach. And I think that is still the case.

I inquired about why things didn’t work out with Smith at Minnesota, where he was let go in 2018 by P.J. Fleck. I was told Smith was headed to Tennessee with Greg Schiano in 2018 until the fan revolt resulted in Tennessee backing out of the Schiano hire.

After Smith had already told Fleck he was leaving for Tennessee and then ended up returning to Minnesota, it just didn’t work between Fleck and Smith, I was told.

Smith, who spent the 2019 season as an analyst at Texas A&M, also has a strong special teams background, having served as special teams coordinator at Rutgers from 2009-11.

Ash is in the process of talking Naivar, Washington and Giles.

While Giles, a former defensive end at Texas, has been seen as a possible holdover on the staff going forward, I’m told that’s “a fluid situation” depending on who else is hired onto the defensive staff.

Names of potential cornerbacks coach candidates have been hard to come by, in part, because Washington is expected to be given serious consideration by Ash.

One name we’ve heard to keep an eye on is Texas Tech defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks, who has coached DBs at Wisconsin (2006-09), Notre Dame (2010-14, serving as co-defensive coordinator from 2012-14) and Oklahoma (2015-18).

Cooks, a native of Dallas who attended Irving Nimitz, has primarily coached corners or the entire secondary throughout his career, although he coached safeties at Texas Tech last season.

We continue to hear that former Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando is likely to have an opportunity to lead a defense at another Power Five school and could possibly take Naivar and/or Washington with him.

On offense, while names of potential tight ends coaches have been hard to come by - as I reported on Monday - don’t look for former Texas tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator Tim Brewster to be making a return to Austin.

Whether it's out of respect for his former boss at Texas - Mack Brown - not to go after one of Brown’s prized assistants at North Carolina, I’m told Herman isn’t considering Brewster and won’t.

Now that Yurcich is settling into his Texas gig, we might hear some more names emerge as potential receivers coaches.

I’m not sure the names getting the most run - Kansas’ Emmett Jones and Houston’s Tyron Carrier - are guys Yurcich is totally familiar with.

Jones, a former Texas Tech receivers coach, is a guy USC’s Graham Harrell would’ve definitely put on his list. Carrier is a guy I think Herman has been intrigued with.

But it remains to be seen if those are guys Yurcich ultimately considers. And considering Herman has gotten Yurcich to buy into keeping Hand as O-line coach and Drayton as running backs coach, I think Herman wants Yurcich to have some say over the receivers and tight ends coaching hires.

Stay tuned.

(Chip Brown)

Stay tuned.

(Taylor Estes)

WHAT’S RETURNING IN 2020 AT LINEBACKER AND RUNNING BACK …

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)
Last week in the Eyes, we took a look at the players returning in 2020 on the offensive and defensive lines.

This week, we look at the linebackers who will likely be counted on by new defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who has historically based out of a 4-3 scheme, as well as the running backs who will be counted on by Mike Yurcich.

We can count Joseph Ossai as an outside linebacker, but he’s likely to be playing a lot more stand-up defensive end than he’s played in the past.

I said all season Ossai was the team’s best pass rusher, even when Todd Orlando had him lined up all over the place, chasing slot receivers 25 to 30 yards down field.

I’m told Ash took serious note of Ossai’s performance in the Alamo Bowl against Utah (nine tackles, six TFLs, three sacks) and plans to have him near the line of scrimmage as a part of Herman’s priority of getting a better pass rush on first and second down without blitzing.

So, let’s focus on what are traditionally known as the middle, strong and weak side linebackers.

Ayodele Adeoye is probably further along as a middle linebacker than his play revealed this season. That’s because some of the quirks of Orlando’s defense (quirks Herman ultimately fired him over), included so much slanting of the defensive line to help clear a path for blitzing linebackers or safeties.

When Orlando slanted and blitzed to the correct side, the linebackers made plays. But when Orlando guessed wrong and slanted/blitzed to the wrong side, it took the linemen completely out of the play and left linebackers exposed to offensive linemen who could easily climb to the second level and block them.

Under Ash, Texas will allow its defensive linemen to do what they did against Utah, use their hands and one-on-one skills to shed blocks and make plays or rush the passer. Linebackers will know exactly what gap they’re responsible for (instead of guessing like they did a lot this past season when Orlando’s blitzes didn’t get home).

The bottom line is when linebackers know exactly what gap they’re responsible for, they can attack that gap, blow up whatever is in there and play much more physical.

That should help Adeoye, strong side linebacker Juwan Mitchell as well as likely weak side linebacker candidates Marcus Tillman Jr. and David Gbenda (and possibly a safety who could be spun down like DeMarvion Overshown).

Byron Vaughns is likely to back up Ossai as a stand-up defensive end (or what was known as the B-backer in Orlando's scheme).

Believe it or not, Texas has found depth at middle linebacker in former walk-on Cort Jaquess (pronounced JAY-kwiss), who had five tackles in the Alamo Bowl and hit gaps full speed, blowing up whatever was in front of him.

He’s obviously not a guy you want in coverage against a speedy running back, tight end or slot. But when it comes to stuffing the run, Jaquess can help and will.

For depth purposes, you could see Texas looking in the portal for potential grad transfers at linebacker.

At running back, everyone wants to know who will be in this position group’s meeting room.

Everything I’ve heard so far is that Jordan Whittington will remain at running back and will provide competition for Keaontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson and incoming, five-star freshman Bijan Robinson. For now, we'll go slowly with the comeback of Derrian Brown, who redshirted this season after having a stroke almost a year ago.

If one or more in that room can beat out Whittington so convincingly that Whittington would need another avenue to get on the field, then we can talk about Whittington possibly moving to receiver.

But Whittington put in a lot of work at running back in fall camp and in practice last season (making a lot of plays against the first-team Texas defense). That work/development needs to be paid off with an opportunity to show out at running back in 2020.

Herman said at the Alamo Bowl all indications are Whittington's most recent surgery to take care of painful scar tissue stemming from a previous sports hernia surgery in high school was successful.

Yurcich’s power spread concepts mirror Herman’s in that Yurcich likes to throw the ball to his backs, and we know all of Texas’ returning backs have shown they can catch the ball.

COMMENTS
While at Oklahoma State, Yurcich showed a willingness to put two and even three backs on the field (in a diamond formation) when his talent at running back has rivaled or exceeded the talent at receiver. In other words, Yurcich has shown he’ll adjust his scheme to make sure the best talent is on the field.

If the running back position can stay healthy in 2020, this should be a lot of fun to watch because Ingram and Roschon Johnson picked up a lot of valuable experience in 2019 and should only improve with the competition Whittington and Robinson will bring to the room.

(Chip Brown)

NOTE: Next week, as part of our series looking at players returning in 2020, we’ll look at cornerback and receiver.

I'm down for Lupoi, Henderson and/or Okam, and Jones or Carrier.  That'd leave TE and CB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's Chip Brown so I don't want to give it merit when it probably doesn't deserve any, but if we hire Kerry Cooks as CB coach I'm already giving up on next year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I like most of the names we’re hearing at DL and WR. Either of Cooks or Washington would be very underwhelming IMO. Not as sure how to feel about Smith at LB. His defenses were pretty good both years at Minnesota and I like the ST experience, but it seems like there’s probably better candidates. 

I find it weird that we’ve almost never heard any names for the TE position. 

Welcome to the light, gentlemen. What Texas has been doing for decades is the absolute dumbest and most nonsensical approach possible. Refuse to get as dirty as everyone else, act high and mighty, but never turn anyone in. This approach basically means you're not trying to win. 
If you're not going to report the dirty shit then you have to participate. And while everyone playing by the rules would be my preference, that's never going to happen with the NCAA being feckless accomplices. 
So fuck it. Let's play. And in the grand scheme of moral issues, paying young men who are sacrificing their short and long term physical health for my entertainment doesn't even merit a shrug. 

Respectfully disagree. Coaching mismanagement is the reason Texas is in the wilderness, not recruiting access. Moreover, we stand to benefit greatly from endorsement access of individual athletes as we have an elite reach.

I’m agnostic on payoffs, though allowing corrupt alumni to hold that over students and the university is dangerous. However, overlooking violence and academic fraud impact the integrity of the university, the safety of students and employees, and the value of my degree.

I suspect Ohio St, Clemson, and Alabama allow their players to pretend to be students. Under no circumstances should we play this game. The mission of the university supersedes success in a game, where people wear costumes and smack each other on the ass as a livestock mascot looks on.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's Chip Brown so I don't want to give it merit when it probably doesn't deserve any, but if we hire Kerry Cooks as CB coach I'm already giving up on next year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kerry Cooks is the Courtney Messingham of DB coaches

*As bad as Cooks is - he's still better than the two names TFB threw out there yesterday.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Respectfully disagree. Coaching mismanagement is the reason Texas is in the wilderness, not recruiting access. Moreover, we stand to benefit greatly from endorsement access of individual athletes as we have an elite reach.

I’m agnostic on payoffs, though allowing corrupt alumni to hold that over students and the university is dangerous. However, overlooking violence and academic fraud impact the integrity of the university, the safety of students and employees, and the value of my degree.

I suspect Ohio St, Clemson, and Alabama allow their players to pretend to be students. Under no circumstances should we play this game. The mission of the university supersedes success in a game, where people wear costumes and smack each other on the ass as a livestock mascot looks on.

It's both my dude.

I'm not disagreeing coaching and development left a ton to be desired the last few years.  But we haven't gotten enough talent on campus in the first place.  Someone smarter than I has probably made a good case for this from our NFL draft performance and stuff.

Please take Washington with you, somewhere in the B12 please.

12 minutes ago, drt said:

It's both my dude.

I'm not disagreeing coaching and development left a ton to be desired the last few years.  But we haven't gotten enough talent on campus in the first place.  Someone smarter than I has probably made a good case for this from our NFL draft performance and stuff.

Herman has a transition class, a 3rd ranked class and a 6th ranked class on campus. That transition class is the only group that's even draft eligible. Doesn't look he's had much issue getting talent on campus. Charlie also recruited well before that.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

It's both my dude.

While recruiting grade inflation follows us, rarely do our signees not have offers from elite programs. Moreover, we’ve not been able to recruit effectively to a scheme since we’ve rarely had a great scheme.

31 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Every team in the country has football players pretending to be students. Not necessarily academic fraud, but Texas, just like every other big time program, has players on the team who aren’t here to play school. 

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Other than the 2018 class, we’ve been missing a whole lot on the very top in-state players for quite some time now.   

Take Vince Young, Roy Williams, Cedric Benson, Derrick Johnson, Sergio Kindle, etc. off the Mack teams and they would win a lot less games, too, even if the recruiting classes were still ranked higher than our conference competition.

Or add Waddle, Little, Chaisson, White, Lamb, Bridges, Murray, Wease, Leal, Green, Wright, Richardson and Demas and we would be a better football team.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

It's silly that you think football players aren't already devaluing your degree as much as they possibly could. What do you think Youth and Community Studies is? 

And who said anything about academic fraud or violence? I'm talking about paying players and that's it. 

What the fuck does paying players have to do with the value of your degree? Pretty sure Alabama’s application numbers have sky-rocketed since Saban started buying players. That means a better candidate pool and better students...but even still, what does that have to do with the degree you obtained a long time ago?

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Welcome to the light, gentlemen. What Texas has been doing for decades is the absolute dumbest and most nonsensical approach possible. Refuse to get as dirty as everyone else, act high and mighty, but never turn anyone in. This approach basically means you're not trying to win. 

If you're not going to report the dirty shit then you have to participate. And while everyone playing by the rules would be my preference, that's never going to happen with the NCAA being feckless accomplices. 

So fuck it. Let's play. And in the grand scheme of moral issues, paying young men who are sacrificing their short and long term physical health for my entertainment doesn't even merit a shrug. 

I doubt we are serious about Lupoi, but if we did hire him it would be a nice Fuck You to the sec and Ohio State.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Every team in the country has football players pretending to be students. Not necessarily academic fraud, but Texas, just like every other big time program, has players on the team who aren’t here to play school. 

Hell, as a student, I rarely played school. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As much as you'd think it's impossible for us to hire a guy Tech just fired as a DB coach to man our CB coaching spot, amidst Tech also bringing on Orlando and Naivar, I'm sure Tom Herman can find a way to get that done. 

Let's hope both the new coordinators have a substantial coaching network and are willing to leverage it.