2020 Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

if this happens, i feel like there's a better use of @SydneyCarton's decaying corpse. we put it him in chip's trunk and wait until chip's passed out drunk and drag him out to the body and wrap his hands around sydney's neck. then drag him back inside and onto his couch.

I feel @SydneyCarton should be chummed and thrown on CDC during a National TV home game

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

All of New Mexico is a fucking shit hole. Scenery be damned. While Lubbock may very well be the armpit of Texas, I would much rather be there than Alamogordo, Tucumcari, Truth or Consequences or even marginally better Las Cruces and Santa Fe (fuck Santa Fe, full of uppity retired rich fucks that relocated there after retirement, and want to be New Mexican).

totally disagree!!!! I just moved to New Mexico, it's fucking awesome; it's miles above the panhandle of Texas. As far as the uppity claim, nicest people I've ever been around are in Las Cruces, very chill.  I left Austin because of the asshole factor of all the new money. It ain't the Austin we used to know by a long shot

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

totally disagree!!!! I just moved to New Mexico, it's fucking awesome; it's miles above the panhandle of Texas. As far as the uppity claim, nicest people I've ever been around are in Las Cruces, very chill.  I left Austin because of the asshole factor of all the new money. It ain't the Austin we used to know by a long shot

Username does not check out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Naivar wasn’t responsible for flipping Sterns. He was on the Sterns recruitment for a while and couldn’t get him to flip. It wasn’t until Washington took point on the recruitment that the Sterns flip happened. 

Thanks for the info.

Don't follow recruiting closely,  but did know Naivar made the initial contact/very early visit.

Edited by torre

15 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Some notes from 247's chat

ChipBrown247 avatar
easttexasman02 said... (original post)is Drayton for sure staying, rumors of NFL teams looking at him

show more
I’m hearing he plans to stay. ( But until that Cowboys RB coach job is filled ... )

ChipBrown247 avatar
siredwardnigma said... (original post)Any word on who is going to coach Special Teams yet?

show more
Probably whole staff

ChipBrown247 avatar
stevekap said... (original post)Will Joshua Moore play for Texas again?

show more
That’s the plan

ChipBrown247 avatar
ktbulls3 said... (original post)Timeline for a Wr coach hire?

show more
Hopefully by Monday

ChipBrown247 avatar
BevoXXX said... (original post)Remind me again the subject re: Washington? Not Marcus

show more
I was responding to Q about Jason Washington

ChipBrown247 avatar
hornybob said... (original post)We've been led to be excited about Herman hires before and those we were supposed to be excited about crashed and burned resulting in our curr...

show more
Hey, I’m never gonna tell someone how they should or shouldn’t feel!!! 

ChipBrown247 avatar
KPendleton said... (original post)Is Okam still an option for DT coach?

show more
Possibly

ChipBrown247
hookem230 said... (original post)Have they talked to either Samples, E. Jones, or the U of H WR coach?

show more
I think there’s been some feeling out with Jones and Carrier. Not Samples from what I’m hearing at this point.

Jeff Howe
ktbulls3 said... (original post)Timeline for a Wr coach hire?

show more
I think you’ll hear something in terms of movement on that front in the next 24-48 hours.

Jeff Howe avatar
hookem230 said... (original post)Have they talked to either Samples, E. Jones, or the U of H WR coach?

show more
I’ve heard Herman has talked to Jones and Carrier.

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Jeff, I just read on Twitter something about Herman is not fired up and may pass on Emmett Jones due to his $235,000 buyout at Kansas. Have you hea...

show more
“Not fired up” or “may pass” aren’t terms I’ve heard used.

ChipBrown247
Hasmith9 said... (original post)Is Tosh still an option?

show more
As of now yes

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Thanks, I hope you’re right.

show more
I’m by no means not knocking Brian’s report, FWIW. I’m just under the impression that this thing is pretty far down the road and Jones has been Herman’s No. 1 guy. If the hire can deliver what I think it will in recruiting and player development, $225K plus a new salary for Jones isn’t worth letting that slip away.

If we penny pinch and pass on the best hire over a 225K buyout we should just quit college football. The ASS is full of morons so the tweet they made makes complete sense.

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If we penny pinch and pass on the best hire over a 225K buyout we should just quit college football. The ASS is full of morons so the tweet they made makes complete sense.

Umm ... ASS or AAS?  Either would be problematic if it were full of morons ... but just want to make sure who you meant.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

The destitute are always friendly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Sounds like Chip is using a Magic 8 Ball again.

As I see it, yes.

Ask again later.

Better not tell you now.

Cannot predict now.

Concentrate and ask again.

Don’t count on it.

It is certain.

It is decidedly so.

Most likely.

My reply is no.

My sources say no.

Outlook not so good.

Outlook good.

Reply hazy, try again.

Signs point to yes.

Very doubtful.

Without a doubt.

Yes.

Yes – definitely.

You may rely on it

.spacer.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In all seriousness, I would not be shocked by an announcemen for Robb Smith soon. Either Okam or Partridge shortly wouldn't surprise me either.

Based on the little I know about these guys, I would be pretty stoked about all those hires. Even Smith seems to have only left Minny because of a personal spat with Fleck. He does need to give up the ghost on trying to have hair, though.

Yeah I'll go ahead and retract this based on the downthread info. Hair criticism stands.

jmp-020-gophers-football-practice.jpg?w=

Edited by texifornia

Just now, texifornia said:

Based on the little I know about these guys, I would be pretty stoked about all those hires. Even Smith seems to have only left Minny because of a personal spat with Fleck.

Wiki tells me that Smith was a damn good ST's coach for Rutgers.  From the wiki:

Smith was the Special Teams Coordinator at Rutgers for three years. During his tenure leading the special teams units the Scarlet Knights' Special Teams ranked first nationally in blocked kicks with 31. The 2010 team led the nation in blocked punts followed by the 2011 team finishing 2nd in blocked punts. Throughout those seasons the Scarlet Knights Special Teams ranked fifth nationally in punt and kickoff returns for touchdowns

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Based on the little I know about these guys, I would be pretty stoked about all those hires. Even Smith seems to have only left Minny because of a personal spat with Fleck. He does need to give up the ghost on trying to have hair, though.

I like the idea of a "developer" for LB coach. If Smith is that, then great. I don't know enough about football to know that, though. Is that his rep?

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Robb Smith was fired from Minnesota the day after a 55-31 loss to Illinois. At the time, Minnesota's defense was dead-last in the Big Ten. The reaction to Smith's firing from the Minnesota fanbase was very positive.

Obviously his DC'ing skills won't really matter if he's our LBs coach... but we also thought Mehringer's dismal OC performance at Rutgers wouldn't matter if we restricted him to WR coaching, and he still screwed it all up. Sometimes a bad coach is a bad coach, no matter where you try to move him.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Robb Smith was fired from Minnesota the day after a 55-31 loss to Illinois. At the time, Minnesota's defense was dead-last in the Big Ten. The reaction to Smith's firing from the Minnesota fanbase was very positive.

Obviously his DC'ing skills won't really matter if he's our LBs coach... but we also thought Mehringer's dismal OC performance at Rutgers wouldn't matter if we restricted him to WR coaching, and he still screwed it all up. Sometimes a bad coach is a bad coach, no matter where you try to move him.

Wikipedia says that Robb Smith had top defenses at Rutgers, Arkansas and in his first season at Minnesota

But, sure, he's just like Drew Mehringer.

1 minute ago, Cuernavaca said:

T or C to the locals.

Stop and soak in the mineral baths at the Charles. 

Also don't grab at the liquor bottles in the gas station.

Formerly, Swastika NM. Unpatrioticized by Nazis. Renamed for popular radio show. Bigger than Clines Corner(s).

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wikipedia says that Robb Smith had top defenses at Rutgers, Arkansas and in his first season at Minnesota

But, sure, he's just like Drew Mehringer.

Minnesota’s defense in 2017 ranked slightly above our defense this year and in 2018, their D was getting absolutely killed when he was DC. They gave up 42 (Maryland), 48 (Iowa), 30 (tOSU), 53 (UN), 31(IU), and 55 (Illinois). They proceeded to give up 24, 15, and 10 after he was fired.

His defenses at Arkansas weren’t good either. Both were in the 80s in FEI in 2015 and 2016. He did have the 12th ranked defense in 2014, but Arkansas probably jumped about 30 spots after their performance in the Texas Bowl against a team that shall not be named.

Point being, he’s not a good DC at all. Hard to say if he’s a good LB coach. He was with Schiano  at Rutgers and as his o brought him to the Bucs in 2013. He Doesn’t seem to be a good recruiter. If he turns out to be a good LB coach and can carry the weight for ST, then it could be a good hire, but it appears rather underwhelming at first glance.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Formerly, Swastika NM. Unpatrioticized by Nazis. Renamed for popular radio show. Bigger than Clines Corner(s).

Clines Corner is one shitty convenient/novelty store that was fun 50 years ago. It's massively depressing now.

Edited by MoJames

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Huh?

11 minutes ago, Cuernavaca said:

T or C to the locals.

Stop and soak in the mineral baths at the Charles. 

Also don't grab at the liquor bottles in the gas station.

Why not

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Good thing he won't be our fucking Defensive Coordinator.

'Good thing Mehringer won't be our fucking Offensive Coordinator." Bad coaches don't magically become good ones when they're demoted. So why settle for trying to rehabilitate him as a position coach? Are there no better options out there at LB coach?

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

'Good thing Mehringer won't be our fucking Offensive Coordinator." Bad coaches don't magically become good ones when they're demoted. So why settle for trying to rehabilitate him as a position coach? Are there no better options out there at LB coach?

This can't be serious? 

Just now, satyanash said:

Bad coordinators can in fact be amazing position coaches. Nice try though.

429995.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Some guys really are Peter Principle casualties at certain levels. Look at how many excellent coordinators around the country have flamed out at HC.

Sucking at a job above the level being hired for isn't necessarily disqualifying as long as they're properly vetted.

The flipside is you have to trust Herman/Ash at the vetting process, which.......

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

Frank Wilson is the obvious hire at RB if Drayton takes the cowboys job right?

LSU fans seem to think that he's going back to LSU.  I don't know if that means they're letting Robinson go, or if they plan on hiring him as an analyst.   If Wilson was going there as an analyst - why wouldn't they just make that hire?