2020 Coaching Staff

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Frank Wilson is the obvious hire at RB if Drayton takes the cowboys job right?

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

LSU fans seem to think that he's going back to LSU.  I don't know if that means they're letting Robinson go, or if they plan on hiring him as an analyst.   If Wilson was going there as an analyst - why wouldn't they just make that hire?

He’s expected to go to LSU as the RB coach. Not sure what that means for Robinson, but Wilson is better than Robinson, so just a straight swap would be a good move for them. 

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lupoi was pretty meh as a DC at Bama. You want him as a DL coach? 

Tee Martin was awful as an offensive coordinator. You want him as a WR coach? 

Martin and Lupoi were/are tremendous recruiters, which is kind of important for a position coach.

Smith had better be a really good developer of LB talent because he's demonstrably worse at recruiting.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Based on the little I know about these guys, I would be pretty stoked about all those hires. Even Smith seems to have only left Minny because of a personal spat with Fleck. He does need to give up the ghost on trying to have hair, though.

Yeah I'll go ahead and retract this based on the downthread info. Hair criticism stands.

jmp-020-gophers-football-practice.jpg?w=

For anyone going full sarvanaash over the Robb Smith hire, I'll add this caveat to my prior post: I heard this from someone who knows his shit at a national level, but has been absolutely slammed lately with his CFB related work. He may well be picking up noise vs signal right now because there's no time to filter, per him. Hope that makes the Smith haters feel better.

Once I'd looked up Smith last week when his name first appeared, I'd already resigned myself to the fact that if he is the LB coach, I'm going to have to find my optimism from other hires on the staff and hope he surprises us, so hearing stuff today didn't jolt me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

'Good thing Mehringer won't be our fucking Offensive Coordinator." Bad coaches don't magically become good ones when they're demoted. So why settle for trying to rehabilitate him as a position coach? Are there no better options out there at LB coach?

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Martin and Lupoi were/are tremendous recruiters, which is kind of important for a position coach.

Smith had better be a really good developer of LB talent because he's demonstrably worse at recruiting.

Nobody is calling Smith a home run type hire like Martin and Lupoi. It's the idea bad coordinators can't be good position coaches. 

I agree that Smith is underwhelming but the fact he didn't succeed as a coordinator doesn't tell me shit. Make the argument that Smith is a bad recruiter, bad special teams coach, bad at developing LBers and you might have a point. 

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sure, but you were melting down at the idea of hiring a guy who'd failed at DC, which was kinda dumb.

Edited by texifornia

38 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Frank Wilson is the obvious hire at RB if Drayton takes the cowboys job right?

He's a rainmaking recruiter at a school that allows him to be a bagman. Does that translate at schools where that's tougher to pull off?

At the very least, he'd help out with Louisiana prospects who LSU doesn't push for, but I'm skeptical of bagman coaches at Texas 

• Like 1

In reference to the DL coach, I don't think there's any doubt Partridge can develop the DL. He produced multiple draft picks at Wisconsin (JJ Watt for example) and Pitt will have a couple draft picks in the next year or two. 

My biggest fear with Partridge was recruiting but the more research I do it looks like he's a plus recruiter. More specifically to Florida. The Pitt boards think Partridge is the best recruiter on staff. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's a rainmaking recruiter at a school that allows him to be a bagman. Does that translate at schools where that's tougher to pull off?

At the very least, he'd help out with Louisiana prospects who LSU doesn't push for, but I'm skeptical of bagman coaches at Texas 

Yeah. Bo Davis was awful here behind two good stints at Alabama. Of course, the 2nd stint he got popped by the NCAA and shuttled off to the NFL.

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In reference to the DL coach, I don't think there's any doubt Partridge can develop the DL. He produced multiple draft picks at Wisconsin (JJ Watt for example) and Pitt will have a couple draft picks in the next year or two. 

My biggest fear with Partridge was recruiting but the more research I do it looks like he's a plus recruiter. More specifically to Florida. The Pitt boards think Partridge is the best recruiter on staff. 

Yeah, I think Partridge is both a good DL coach and recruiter. Plus, we know he works well with Ash. I wouldn’t have a problem with him or Okam. 

The Smith news is underwhelming and he’s never coached with Ash or Herman from what I can tell, so I’m not sure why he’s the only candidate that is even being reported to be considered. 

And we still haven’t heard a single name for TE coach, so it’ll be interesting to see what names pop up there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I think Partridge is both a good DL coach and recruiter. Plus, we know he works well with Ash. I wouldn’t have a problem with him or Okam. 

The Smith news is underwhelming and he’s never coached with Ash or Herman from what I can tell, so I’m not sure why he’s the only candidate that is even being reported to be considered. 

And we still haven’t heard a single name for TE coach, so it’ll be interesting to see what names pop up there. 

I like all the names at WR and DL. Smith is definitely underwhelming but I don't think it's necessarily a disaster. More than anything it's tough to get a read on Smith as a position coach but that's why it's kind of underwhelming. Other candidates out there with more skins on the wall in terms of recruiting/LB development. 

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I found an article last week that talked about him getting the FAU Head Coach job because he was such a good recruiter in Florida. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Dallas’ 105.3FM The Fan @3:36pm

”Fish” just mentioned that Stan Drayton might be a name to watch for the Dallas Cowboys RB coaching job. 

Speculation, not an inside scoop. 

You don't say? Tell me, how do you feel about hatch chili season and Derek Wareheim? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to great position coaches get promoted to become coordinators. Some of them flame out as coordinators and then go back to becoming position coaches again. It's like in the tech industry where good engineers don't always make good managers. I think you want someone with a history of developing talent and a strong resume as a recruiter. Whether or not they flunked as coordinators is an irrelevant data point.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You don't say? Tell me, how do you feel about hatch chili season and Derek Wareheim? 

Well, if you want to talk about New Mexico, and Albuquerque in particular, this little chola used these photos on her Tinder account that I happened to peruse when passing through town. (Obviously it is a 5 star town.)

15699-A71-4592-48-DB-A49-D-BA4-BD76051-B

CAF8-CBFD-85-D8-4-DFB-8827-7-BDD4-DE2-C0

FF025-A0-F-4530-4-A33-A044-6-E54-DEF3-A4

She likes the Cadillac brand!

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Kansas RB coach Tony Hull has more pull in New Orleans than Frank Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Well, if you want to talk about New Mexico, and Albuquerque in particular, this little chola used these photos on her Tinder account that I happened to peruse when passing through town. (Obviously it is a 5 star town.)

When you try to date in Albuquerque, the first question you have to ask is how many baby daddies do you have? The next question is are they all incarcerated at Metropolitan Detention Center?

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

Clapping cheeks in Albuquerque?

Did you ask her, " What's Grandma doing at the flippin' sand dunes!?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

if this happens, i feel like there's a better use of @SydneyCarton's decaying corpse. we put it him in chip's trunk and wait until chip's passed out drunk and drag him out to the body and wrap his hands around sydney's neck. then drag him back inside and onto his couch.

don't forget the mineral water bottles

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She must have plenty of trunk space.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Does it really matter who we hire as defensive assistants? I mean, it’s quite obvious Ash is the missing link. Things should evolve nicely from there.

Underappreciated post. Hopefully, Ash's defense is actually a little more primitive than Orlando's with fewer blitzes from all the way out in Lascaux.

11 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

You’ve been the biggest sarvanaash impersonator on this site for the last month.

I guess what you're saying is @closetojumping squats to pee. But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he might have a problem with his prostate and needs to squat in order to commence micturition.

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

He came after another colored RB, IIRC....Lorenzo White!

Lorenzo White, Alonzo Highsmith, Spencer Tillman Allen Pinkett, and Mike Rozier were all run and shoot era and then Gary Brown was shortly thereafter.

Also, very racist.

Edited by WBT

10 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Don’t exactly understand the instinctual opposition to a coach just because he’s from Rutgers when the DL coach many are clamoring for went 4-20 in his last two years at Rice before “falling upward.”

I don’t give a fuck he’s from Rutgers, I give a fuck that last year at Rutgers is literally his only year of on field coaching experience. 

Edited by bEastTexas