2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My only solace in connection with the overall direction these hires are taking is that I was so absolutely sure that Herman was THE GUY when we hired him.  This proves that no opinion of mine on this subject is worth considering.  

I hear you. And I was absolutely sure that Orgeron wasn't the guy. Anyway, a CB coach isn't going to make or break this staff and we need to realize that Valai is probably a good recruiter and an unknown coach. You can't say he sucks. All you can say is that he is unproven and Texas shouldn't be hiring unproven coaches.

8 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looks like Emmett Jones got promoted to Passing Game Coordinator at KU, hopefully a minor promotion isn't going to be enough to keep him there

Probably means Emmett is out for us

Edited by taybo20

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why the fuck did we not try and hire Jerry Gray as DC again?  I would have offered him $2 million with complete autonomy on his side of the ball and make him turn down his alma mater.

Seems like an NFL lifer. Most of those guys are extremely happy with a job where they don't have to recruit teenagers on top of coaching, especially since he's on the older side.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looks like Emmett Jones got promoted to Passing Game Coordinator at KU, hopefully a minor promotion isn't going to be enough to keep him there

The problem I see is that we are repeating our initial problems and are replacing young unproven guys with young unproven guys. OC and DC will be a step up so it will mitigate the issues, but still we need experience and recruiting ability (it shouldn't be an either or situation). 

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Wasn’t he the DC at Texas for a couple of days before he went to the NFL?

Nope Manny Diaz was the DC, Gray was coming to be the CB's coach. He left allowing Akina the ability to return after suffering buyer's remorse hitching his wagon to Mike Stoops in Arizona.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seriously, someone have the balls to list the positives on this guy as a hire. Then look at your list, and justify how it is a good hire at the University of Texas with our resources and expectations. 

From what I have seen he would be a slam dunk hire.

For UTSA.

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Lol. A school that has proclaimed, by our Athletic Director no less, that we would never let money prevent us from hiring the right coaches has openly balked at paying for Jones's buyout. If you don't think that coupled with a raise is anything other than another excuse for Herman to search elsewhere for a WR coach, I don't know what program you've been watching the past several years. 

Why the fuck did we not try and hire Jerry Gray as DC again?  I would have offered him $2 million with complete autonomy on his side of the ball and make him turn down his alma mater.

Remember when Texas hired Jerry Gray and he bolted immediately for the NFL?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In the interest of cheering everybody up, I'll take on Sydney's challenge:

Pros -

-Fud has already cited a solid nickname in Jai Alai

-He's young and black, so this immediately makes the whole staff hip and with it

-He knows the "grab that bag" concept for street agents and seems to really dig it

-Chris Ash really likes him, and Chris Ash knows staff personnel

-He can apparently fog a mirror

-We don't have a visible way, yet, to prove that his on-field charges at Texas will suck

-He's not Drew Mehringer

-He's currently unemployed, so he can start immediately

-He's a squarehead just like his mentor, so you know there's a lot of grey matter being toted around in that fucking rock

-He's never lost to Baylor or Iowa State

-If he's really the unqualified, wet fart of a hire that obvious shit seems to be indicating, he does nothing to offset the growing likelihood that the silver lining to Hermanitard not fixing any of his shit will be that he and his entire fucking roster of half-wits and jugheads will all be taken out to the curb and dropkicked onto the street after they underperform and fail miserably to the tune of a 6-6 regular season in 2020

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I'm really to starting to like this hire.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pros -

-He's young and black, so this immediately makes the whole staff hip and with it

-He knows the "grab that bag" concept for street agents and seems to really dig it

-We don't have a visible way, yet, to prove that his on-field charges at Texas will suck

-He's not Drew Mehringer

-He's a squarehead just like his mentor, so you know there's a lot of grey matter being toted around in that fucking rock

-If he's really the unqualified, wet fart of a hire that obvious shit seems to be indicating, he does nothing to offset the growing likelihood that the silver lining to Hermanitard not fixing any of his shit will be that he and his entire fucking roster of half-wits and jugheads will all be taken out to the curb and dropkicked onto the street after they underperform and fail miserably to the tune of a 6-6 regular season in 2020

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I'm really to starting to like this hire.

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My only solace in connection with the overall direction these hires are taking is that I was so absolutely sure that Herman was THE GUY when we hired him.  This proves that no opinion of mine on this subject is worth considering.  

A lot of us were consumed by the hype.  We really didn’t know Tom Herman, particularly his gross egotism.  That is why we pay millions to have competent, skilled athletic directors.  

Edited by ruitxn

Just now, ruitxn said:

A lot of us were consumed by the hype.  We really didn’t know Tom Herman, particularly his gross egotism.  That is what we pay millions to have competent, skilled athletic directors.  

Well the hype and a(n admittedly short) track record of big wins and excitement at UH. People forget that fucking Cougar High was considered a more exciting, on-the-rise program around the country than UT during Strong's last season.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Just FYI - the entirety of Jones' buyout equates to about 3% of Herman's salary for 2020.

Well, on the one hand, we COULD pay the guy's buyout, and people will bitch that we are having to pay position coaches' buyouts. On the other hand, we could not pay his buyout, and people will bitch that we can't get anyone to coach here.

I'm pretty sure that aside from actually, you know, winning, there is no winning.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pros -

-He's not Drew Mehringer

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, on the one hand, we COULD pay the guy's buyout, and people will bitch that we are having to pay position coaches' buyouts. On the other hand, we could not pay his buyout, and people will bitch that we can't get anyone to coach here.

I'm pretty sure that aside from actually, you know, winning, there is no winning.

I'd be willing to at least give brownie points to someone for, you know, actually like they're actually trying to win. Hiring competent seeming staff, fully utilizing all available resources, at hand, showing up for work week in and week out with thoughtful gameplans, adjusting when things don't work, giving players who have earned it playing time and benching those that underperform etc., you know. Things like that.  

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How can one have a pretty strong reputation in recruiting when they've recruited, what exactly, maybe a month in their entire lives? Ditto player development. Can you say you have a strong reputation in player development when you've only been an on field coach for 1 year of your life and haven't held the same job long enough to even see a single kid graduate under your tutelage? What a complete fucking joke of a tweet. Rittenberg can get bent, and then get forcibly buttfucked by an irate cactus-demon. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

How can one have a pretty strong reputation in recruiting when they've recruited, what exactly, maybe a month in their entire lives? Ditto player development. Can you say you have a strong reputation in player development when you've only been an on field coach for 1 year of your life and haven't held the same job long enough to even see a single kid graduate under your tutelage? What a complete fucking joke of a tweet. Rittenberg can get bent, and then get forcibly buttfucked by an irate cactus-demon. 

QA coaches recruit - they just don't go on the road.  Kevin Washington got us Bijan before he ever got an opportunity to go on the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

57d996da62f7887c18d6408d3412c0267c6bec3a

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

QA coaches recruit - they just don't go on the road.  Kevin Washington got us Bijan before he ever got an opportunity to go on the road.

Feel free to point out to me the Quality Control Coaches Recruiter Rankings on 247. You're being willfully obtuse here, for what reason exactly?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It will all make sense once y'all realize that Herman is all aboard the bag man train to save his skin.

Former trainer hired? Lupoi name floated to test blowback?

source.gif

A willingness to play the game won't be much help if he doesn't bother to hire a full staff before the 2nd signing day.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It will all make sense once y'all realize that Herman is all aboard the bag man train to save his skin.

Former trainer hired? Lupoi name floated to test blowback?

source.gif

This is my take. Let’s go get the Polynesian bag man now and load up on talent for Urban.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd be willing to at least give brownie points to someone for, you know, actually like they're actually trying to win. Hiring competent seeming staff, fully utilizing all available resources, at hand, showing up for work week in and week out with thoughtful gameplans, adjusting when things don't work, giving players who have earned it playing time and benching those that underperform etc., you know. Things like that.  

I don't disagree with you. Just musing after reading the shitfest.