2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Texas should be able to do better. In a vacuum, I could live with a guy like JV getting hired as a one off. I do see the potential - it isn't a Mehringer situation. But Herman/Ash's track record on hires and the trajectory of many of the remaining hires make it hard to feel anything ecept for "here we go again."

We'll know after the season I guess, either it pays off with a successful year or Herman gets canned. No real use getting ragey.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Texas should be able to do better. In a vacuum, I could live with a guy like JV getting hired as a one off. I do see the potential - it isn't a Mehringer situation. But Herman/Ash's track record on hires and the trajectory of many of the remaining hires make it hard to feel anything ecept for "here we go again."

We'll know after the season I guess, either it pays off with a successful year or Herman gets canned. No real use getting ragey.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Feel free to point out to me the Quality Control Coaches Recruiter Rankings on 247. You're being willfully obtuse here, for what reason exactly?

Carrington has never shown up in the recruiter rankings either.   He was asked to go on the road and help keep together the Georgia transition class and the 247 mods seemed to think he did good work behind the scenes for Georgia during his short time there.   This doesn't change the fact that its a bad hire - but its possible to criticize the hire and still acknowledge that he appears to have done a decent job in that one area.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

At this point I’m starting to lay blame at CDC. This was your fucking call to allow Hernan to hire the Rutgers coaching staff. He owns this shit sandwich. 

Yeah, he could have fired him this year already because Herman doesn't have a booster faction in his corner.  There was no reason to give him enough rope to hang himself.  There is no one that still needs convincing.  Another failed season and I'm not sure how torn up about CDC getting the boot with Herman I'd be.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Carrington has never shown up in the recruiter rankings either.   He was asked to go on the road and help keep together the Georgia transition class and the 247 mods seemed to think he did good work behind the scenes for Georgia during his short time there.   This doesn't change the fact that its a bad hire - but its possible to criticize the hire and still acknowledge that he appears to have done a decent job in that one area.

Yeah, man, but that was one offseason at a program that was throwing money at recruits at the time. Carrington has a specific position that he's proven time and  time again to be elite at, and he's paid elite money for that reason. Comparing him to Carrington or a full time on the road recruiter like a position coach is absurd, as he has no history to point to other than an outlier situation where money was likely involved. Kevin Washington has been mentioned as helping land exactly 1 kid (albeit a big one). 

A more accurate statement would be to say that he once did a good job recruiting for a couple of weeks at a dirty program that has been recently paying players at an unprecedented level and that MAYBE he could end up being a good recruiter in the future. Someone regale me with stories of his recruiting chaps at Rutgers, please. 

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, he could have fired him this year already because Herman doesn't have a booster faction in his corner.  There was no reason to give him enough rope to hang himself.  There is no one that still needs convincing.  Another failed season and I'm not sure how torn up about CDC getting the boot with Herman I'd be.

He refused to fire Shaka so we can go ahead and write off this year in basketball. I guess that frees up some of my personal time. Now he lets Hernan reunite the worst coaching staff ever assembled? 

Fuck CDC is his fucking face. Seriously. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, man, but that was one offseason at a program that was throwing money at recruits at the time. Carrington has a specific position that he's proven time and  time again to be elite at, and he's paid elite money for that reason. Comparing him to Carrington or a full time on the road recruiter like a position coach is absurd, as he has no history to point to other than an outlier situation where money was likely involved. Kevin Washington has been mentioned as helping land exactly 1 kid (albeit a big one). 

A more accurate statement would be to say that he once did a good job recruiting for a couple of weeks at a dirty program that has been recently paying players at an unprecedented level and that MAYBE he could end up being a good recruiter in the future. Someone regale me with stories of his recruiting chaps at Rutgers, please. 

I know twitter increased their character limit awhile back - but that still seems a lot to fit into that tweet.

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

At this point I’m starting to lay blame at CDC. This was your fucking call to allow Hernan to hire the Rutgers coaching staff. He owns this shit sandwich. 

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He refused to fire Shaka so we can go ahead and write off this year in basketball. I guess that frees up some of my personal time. Now he lets Hernan reunite the worst coaching staff ever assembled?

12771932.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Istian said:

Oh for fuck’s sake. I don’t know why I expected anything different from Herman. All of us are clearly the assholes for thinking CDC would be involved at a level where he’d stop this shit. 

This take is so fucking hilarious. Why do you you fucking care? Herman was never getting fired after 2019, so if you really want him gone, then why do you give any fucking shits at all who he's hiring. I would think you would welcome this hire with open arms, because to you it means he's likely gone after the 2020 season.

You remind me of the same people complaining Trump took out Soleimani.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 6

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The same as it has always been. Just because we shot ourselves in the left testicle as a program doesn't somehow make the idea of shooting ourselves in the right testicle a great idea. 

i didnt say shooting ourselves in either testicle is a good idea. i simply was commenting on the justification of why we shouldn't shoot one vs the other. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This take is so fucking hilarious. Why do you you fucking care? Herman was never getting fired after 2019, so if you really want him gone, then why do you give any fucking shits at all who he's hiring. I would think you would welcome this hire with open arms, because to you it means he's likely gone after the 2020 season.

Keep cloak room shit in the cloak room.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

curious what people think is more likely if they announce this hire:

1. this was the guy all along for that spot and for whatever reason they delayed pulling the trigger
  2. they had a list of better candidates and whiffed on those

Option 3:

What even is defense?

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i didnt say shooting ourselves in either testicle is a good idea. i simply was commenting on the justification of why we shouldn't shoot one vs the other. 

What an absurd commentary. The answer is try real hard to shoot either. Do you and your buddies crack open some beers, put your feet up on the porch, and wax philosophic and have vigorous debates about whether it's better to have your wife cuck you with a rich guy, or some fat POS from the neighborhood. The answer is it all sucks.   

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

curious what people think is more likely if they announce this hire:

1. this was the guy all along for that spot and for whatever reason they delayed pulling the trigger
  2. they had a list of better candidates and whiffed on those

I think its one.

I think they told all of the previous staff not being retained to go find other employment if you can.  Beck and Warehime found other employment before their 'interviews' and effectively avoided being fired.  I don't think thy were going to hire anyone before the bowl game and were going to give current staff as much time as they could to relocate on their own.

I'm guessing they already have most of these hires lined up and that they'll be done / leaked before the dead period ends next week.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Texas: the Rutgers of the south(west)

I'm excited knowing what I know about the glorious football tradition of the State University of New Jersey.  Yes, Ash was a terrible HC there, but peter principle, right?  Demoting him and his staff one level,  fully intact, is a guaranteed playoff contender or he wouldn't have gotten the Rutgers gig in the first place, right?

Right?

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Considering we’re all here because we’re fans of The University, any scenario where the football team has to spend more time than necessary in the cellar is a less than desirable outcome. Fuck anyone who prefers allowing or accepting Texas to be less than it should be and embracing mediocrity.

This point has been argued plenty on both sides throughout this thread, but I’m having a hard time understanding why everyone isn’t upset about hiring fucking dipshits to run the football program of the school I care about. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think its one.

I think they told all of the previous staff not being retained to go find other employment if you can.  Beck and Warehime found other employment before their 'interviews' and effectively avoided being fired.  I don't think thy were going to hire anyone before the bowl game and were going to give current staff as much time as they could to relocate on their own.

I'm guessing they already have most of these hires lined up and that they'll be done / leaked before the dead period ends next week.

@golfclap did mention in the recruiting threads that the annual AFCA coach-hiring gangbang starts Sunday.

Whether it matters for this process, and, if it does, whether waiting for it was a good idea, is all debatable, but it's a reasonable data point.

Just now, Istian said:

Considering we’re all here because we’re fans of The University, any scenario where the football team has to spend more time than necessary in the cellar is a less than desirable outcome. Fuck anyone who prefers allowing or accepting Texas to be less than it should be and embracing mediocrity.

This point has been argued plenty on both sides throughout this thread, but I’m having a hard time understanding why everyone isn’t upset about hiring fucking dipshits to run the football program of the school I care about. 

Because it's not worth getting upset about. If it's a bad hire then next year you will get what you really want anyway.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Because it's not worth getting upset about. If it's a bad hire then next year you will get what you really want anyway.

I think you’re misinterpreting the point of the post. I want Texas to fucking WIN. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything that doesn’t further that goal is bad. 

Just now, Istian said:

I think you’re misinterpreting the point of the post. I want Texas to fucking WIN. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything that doesn’t further that goal is bad. 

But you are making judgments based on little factual information just to be contrarian. It's fucking boorish. No one really knows what kind of coach he'll be. I'm guessing you'd shit yourself with excitement if Samples was named the WR coach.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think its one.

Option 1 is a lot more depressing than Option 2.

This is not the first time I've not only seen you CR the football board, but go out of the way to do it. You know there's a politics board, right?

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But you are making judgments based on little factual information just to be contrarian. It's fucking boorish. No one really knows what kind of coach he'll be. I'm guessing you'd shit yourself with excitement if Samples was named the WR coach.

This is a stupid fucking post, so right on par for you. For starters, he's disappointed with the hire, which most of us are, and this makes him the fucking opposite of a contrarian. Additionally, as has been pointed out several times in this thread already, painting individual posters as being excited for a Samples hire at WR is a bullshit strawman, because most folks here wouldn't be overly pleased with that either. Pulling that shit out and assigning to an individual poster because it suits your narrative is lazy bullshit on par with this coaching staff's hires. If you're going to pull it out, then fucking back it up with a poster's history of cheering for a Samples hire. 

The point isn't what kind of coach he will be. He could end up being a grand slam hire in every facet. It doesn't change the fact that as things stand now, it's a bad hire at Texas for multiple reasons. And the fact that posters are sitting here playing the "He May Turn Out Good" wish casting bullshit is the exact fucking evidence that it's a poor, poor hire. Just say "Trust the coaches" and "you're not a coach" and fucking be done with it already. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1